There's Always Another Sale Thread -- Discussions Only Pt 2

Comments

• ElorElor Posts: 1,096
    edited January 3

kyoto kid said:

...save for the two Daz+ sales, Daz+ items, even those priced above the stated minimum required, are usually not applicable for unlocking discounts and deals. 

It's easy to check yourself: just drop a new Daz+ item over $5 after adding an item from your wishlist. The price of the later should be discounted further:

daz_wish.jpg
    667 x 456 - 38K
    Post edited by Elor on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,156

kyoto kid said:

Torquinox said:

Gotta be patient and wait for the right sales. 

...for the type of items you like and will likely use.. That whittles things down a bit.

I rarely purchase character bundles unless I like and will use everything that's in them (the last was Edie 8).

Agreed! Sale only matters if you find things that appeal to you. enlightened

• Korpin.SulatKorpin.Sulat Posts: 414
    edited January 3

I dumped my cart. The sale says items that were added to your wishlist by the end of January 2nd, and the stuff I added yesterday didn't discount at all. The other new items discounted for the previous wishlist sale, which is still active, but not for this one. So with three of today's featured items plus the stuff that should have qualified but didn't, my cart was $180. I whittled that down to older items, plus three featured new, got it down to $45 - $34 of that was the cost to buy in. Deleted those, and the price barely changed. I wish one of the guys would have said something about sending a report to clarify or fix it, I would have enjoyed what I had to begin with. It's the end of my day, so it was buy or bust. I said a few days ago I was done. And it seems that's still true.

Post edited by Korpin.Sulat on
  • TomhipTomhip Posts: 328

Looks like a great deal tbh, just not for me. I don't particularly fancy anything from the New Releases which is the major buy-in for this so cannot justify it for only like a 3 great deals I would get from Wishlist for these artists.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,776

i have 10 items in my cart for $13.93 @ 93% off. 5 are free. 2 of those are older than me..1 is for Poser the other for V3. I bought both of yesterdays DAZ+ items, and 3 other DAZ+ items that had 60% off plus the coupon 50% off. that to me is a reasonble price. 

edited January 4

Now I can thank having DAZ+ membership a lot more. The current DAZ "sales" are out of my spend point. The new DAZ+ releases are at least affordabe overall. The only problem for me there is that quite a few of the new releases I don't really need. I'm not very into shaders, and the plants are getting to be a bit much as well. The sci-fi and military vehicles are becoming impractical. 

Post edited by daveso on
  • daveso said:

Now I can thank having DAZ+ membership a lot more. The current DAZ "sales" are out of my spend point. The new DAZ+ releases are at least affordabe overall. The only problem for me there is that quite a few of the new releases I don't really need. I'm not very into shaders, and the plants are getting to be a bit much as well. The sci-fi and military vehicles are becoming impractical. 

An argument in favor of rejoining, at last.

The more Iray shaders the merrier IMO, & I love collecting the plants & flowers even though I never seem to remember to add the flora to my outdoor scenes. But I agree on the vehicles. Even when I do SF or cyberpunk, those never seem to be what I want. Also getting tired of rooms.

I did pick up https://www.daz3d.com/solidgear-megabundle-for-victoria-4-and-michael-4 for $1.99 today. I know I can't use  the bodysuits for any figures other than V4/M4 as they are second skins but still a good deal. Separately V4 Outfit is $1.99, M4 Outfit $23.95, and V4/M4 Texture Add-on $1.99. I even have a 3DL to Iray converter if applying base Iray shader doesn't give good results.

Of course if anyone knows of an easy to use product that would let me use V4 & M4 UVs on G3 or G8, I'd be even happier with this set. The second skins have nice textures.

edited January 4

daveso said:

Recent scifi and military vehicles seem sorely lacking in entryways and interiors. Waiting for the good sales on DZFire stuff. His Aliens-inspired APCs and dropships are top-notch and I want more of them. I like his post-apocalyptic vehicles as well. That is part of why I re-upped Daz+ .The items that are now DO and Daz+ will be a lot more affordable with the membership. Yet, this is not the sale I'm waiting for.

Even so, I'm getting some $1.99 V4 bundles. Call me caveman, but I still like V4. And there is plenty I don't have. cheeky 

Post edited by Torquinox on
    edited January 4

miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

I did pick up https://www.daz3d.com/solidgear-megabundle-for-victoria-4-and-michael-4 for $1.99 today. I know I can't use  the bodysuits for any figures other than V4/M4 as they are second skins but still a good deal. Separately V4 Outfit is $1.99, M4 Outfit $23.95, and V4/M4 Texture Add-on $1.99. I even have a 3DL to Iray converter if applying base Iray shader doesn't give good results.

Of course if anyone knows of an easy to use product that would let me use V4 & M4 UVs on G3 or G8, I'd be even happier with this set. The second skins have nice textures.

I'm waffling on that one. I think those textures will take a lot of effort to beat into shape so they look the way I want at render time. I spend a lot of time reworking and adjusting textures.surprise You say the body suits are second skins? I think that's a pass for me. I hope they work well for you!

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • Torquinox said:

I'm waffling on that one. I think those textures will take a lot of effort to beat into shape so they look the way I want at render time. I spend a lot of time reworking and adjusting textures.surprise You say the body suits are second skins? I think that's a pass for me. I hope they work well for you!

I only really wanted the 2 outfits, but to buy just them would have been almost $25 vs. $2 for the bundle. There's precious few G3/8 things I would consider  paying that much for, much less gen4, even from a PA I love. But I doubt I will ever use the second skins.

I don't know how to make or rework textures; I wish I did. I mostly just use shaders (hence my fondness for shader sets) or do very minor shader tweaks (change the diffuse color, make things glow). Is there a "Texturing & Shaders for the Clueless but Intelligent" type tutorial?

• borgtrekkerborgtrekker Posts: 112

The current Small Sale part is not working for me as I added a new item - HL Sabina Platform Sandals for G9 - and one of my wishlist items added many months ago - HAB SciFi Living Quarters currently on sale for 50% off @ $20.48 for example and they remain the same price in my cart instead of an additional 40% off...  I even tried clearing my Cache to see if that  is the problem with no change!  What is going on with DAZ that they cannot get these sales right??

I only really wanted the 2 outfits, but to buy just them would have been almost $25 vs. $2 for the bundle. There's precious few G3/8 things I would consider  paying that much for, much less gen4, even from a PA I love. But I doubt I will ever use the second skins.

I don't know how to make or rework textures; I wish I did. I mostly just use shaders (hence my fondness for shader sets) or do very minor shader tweaks (change the diffuse color, make things glow). Is there a "Texturing & Shaders for the Clueless but Intelligent" type tutorial?

Makes sense to take the bargain! enlightened

Shaders are a wonderful solution! You've made such a sensible request and I have no idea. There are loads of texture tutorials out on the web. It's easy to get lost there.

It's important to know what the different channels do and what effect the maps have, where to put them. And yes, some PAs/vendors have a habit of putting maps in the wrong channels. I don't enjoy that. So, I would start with this Parmy Baddhan video:

Parmy has a few good tutorials, actually.

As for adjusting existing textures, it's exciting. Sometimes, it involves painting into and adjusting the actual texture maps in a paint program, other times it's moving the different maps to the right channels. There is almost always fiddling with settings, test renders, etc. It's sort of a pain and it's easier to use shaders where possible. If you want to really go crazy, you can export UVs and make new textures. This tutorial is fun. https://renderguide.com/daz3d-how-to-create-custom-clothes-textures/

You can also use a program like Blender, 3D Coat, Z Brush, etc. to paint new textures on the surface of your object.That can get quite involved! You know, what we do here is still 3D with all the technical demands that go with it. And then there is the added layer of getting the results to play nicely in Daz Studio. So, I've nothing but respect for all that!

I hope that helps a little. Maybe there are other places to look in the forum for more info.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...well after taking a month off form Daz+ to see what life was like her,.  December was actually reasonable without the membership due to the punches the Advent calendar and HoliDaz specials.  This month, is a  different story so ended up getting a 3 month membership (which will last through MM)

Looking doing a bit of "catch up" I became dismayed that three of the last Daz+ vehicles are all IP (editorial licence) based, and on one day both Daz+ items were for G9..  That already is five "no sales" though I do get the 30% DO discount and the weekly/monthly freebies back.

• @kyoto kid, I am considering getting a Quarterly myself. It works better for me usually. Hope MM is good & I have some spare cash when it rolls around.

@Torquinox I will check that video out. I have a very limited understanding of what some of the channels do. I've never tried any of the other software. Even very user-friendly software can perplex me. 

@Torquinox I will check that video out. I have a very limited understanding of what some of the channels do. I've never tried any of the other software. Even very user-friendly software can perplex me. 

Excellent! That video is a nice start point. I understand. THese programs cover alot of ground, and they have relatively steep learning curves. Even in Daz, pretty sure there are many things I've never touched, never seen. surprise  

• ElorElor Posts: 1,096

Useful video, @Torquinox, thank for sharing it smiley

edited January 6

Wonder why are they so adamant about pushing down those doorbuster items?

What I mean is I have already picked what I wanted the first time these were around. Why would i want to buy leftovers for more oO?

Post edited by Tomhip on
  • Nothing I really want to buy. Going to try out some of what I've already bought this afternoon. Especially the older items. I want to make sure they work well enough for my projects.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,866
    edited January 7

"Devils, Demons, Churches, and Clergy" all grouped under "Unholy;" is Daz trying to tell us something?

Screen Shot 2024-01-07 at 9.06.11 AM.png
    1016 x 780 - 1M
    Post edited by xyer0 on

I got 94% discount offers in lightning deals this morning - One was for https://www.daz3d.com/sukai-8-superhero-bundle but I didn't want it. But it was under $11, making it a good deal. The other was a little thing out of my wishlist and I got it. Lightning Deals + DAZ+ is a powerful combination.

Elor said:

Useful video, @Torquinox, thank for sharing it smiley

Excellent! Cheers! 

Tomhip said:

Wonder why are they so adamant about pushing down those doorbuster items?

What I mean is I have already picked what I wanted the first time these were around. Why would i want to buy leftovers for more oO?

I bet some folks missed it the first time. Nothing I want, but there's gotta be something that appeals to someone.

I think I'm just burned out from shopping here and trying to figure out how to get the best deal --- every day. I'm having a hard time trying to stay away though. 

daveso said:

I think I'm just burned out from shopping here and trying to figure out how to get the best deal --- every day. I'm having a hard time trying to stay away though. 

Its the hunger left from super xmas sale.... that never materialised...

• My Daz spending in 2023:

Spent: $745.26
    Items: 392
    Avg Price: $1.90
    Estimated savings (according to Daz): $7,790.34 (91.27%)
    Highest month: March ($118.68)
    Lowest month: October ($19.40)
    Most in one day: March 6th ($36.30)

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,389

Blando Calrissian said:

My Daz spending in 2023:

I'm afraid to look at mine indecision 

• butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,207

Robert Freise said:

Blando Calrissian said:

My Daz spending in 2023:

Same 

• butterflyfish said:

Robert Freise said:

Blando Calrissian said:

My Daz spending in 2023:

Same 

Um.... nope. Nope, nope, nope. Never look back, I say. 

• SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 876
    edited January 8

paulawp (marahzen) said:

butterflyfish said:

Robert Freise said:

Blando Calrissian said:

My Daz spending in 2023:

Same 

Um.... nope. Nope, nope, nope. Never look back, I say. 

THIS! I wish Paula had shared this advice earlier! crying

A couple of days ago I tried looking at what I spent since the start of December... Let's just say I was having a hard time catching my breath for a bit... Especially since I thought I hadn't been shopping all that much?! frown

Post edited by SapphireBlue on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,770

Not divulging the numbers, but I spent a quarter less last year than in 2022. I expect to continue this trend, maybe even accelerate it *g*

This discussion has been closed.