virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

In the above link to the Carrara Software wiki site, the (software) part needs to be included in the link, or we go to the City of Carrara, and how it's notable for it's blue and white marble! ;)

Carrara (software) Wikipedia

MistyMist said:

bought the aiko7

Lucky! So many of those Genesis 3 products are just SO tempting!!! Very cool stuff being made all the time!

My new Predatron Droid is really cool, and fun! Lots of cool texture options. He doesn't have all of those wonderful morphforms options, like his other figures, but he doesn't really need them - he has extra joints where the limb parts joint, like a separate 'Elbow' joint between forearm and upper arm, 'Shoulder' is a joint between Upper arm and Coller, etc., and, while in text it might not sound convenient... it actually really is. He's a droid... not someone in a suit. And his rig demonstrates this beautifully!

More interesting stuff about the history of Carrara:

► History of Carrara by Ringo Monfort

► Classic Carrara - Render Images by Ringo Monfort

► Firelight3D's History of Carrara

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

thanks!  link gave me troubles

looking at the patterns in shader room.  'caution'  smiley

thinkin the ripple lookin one make part of a nice blackhole shader

finishing up my challenge render.  particles resimulating, dont know how to make it wait til i'm done nudging things

edited September 2016

reading the carrara product page,  wasnt there new stuff in the shader room for 8.5?

• Support for multiple UV sets (through Hierarchical Material(s) Presets and Material(s) Presets)
    Post edited by Mistara on
    edited September 2016
    MistyMist said:

reading the carrara product page,  wasnt there new stuff in the shader room for 8.5?

• Support for multiple UV sets (through Hierarchical Material(s) Presets and Material(s) Presets)

Yes. We now have the ability to use multiple layers in most channels - layers like those in PhotoShop. Just select Multi-Layer in the channel, then use +Add Multi-Layer Element to add a new layer. For each new layer, we may set the blend mode as well as the opacity for that layer. Really neat = that!

MultiLayerShaderPanel.jpg
    845 x 526 - 241K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

thanks !!

what sample scenario would you use layer list or multi channel?

Multi Layer example:

We can use two or more figure texture products on the same figure!

To do this, we load in the figure with the standard shaders set up for one of the texture sets. Now turn the Color channel to Muti-Layer. If we want the original color map to remain fully opaque, along with whatever else we add... we can likely just leave it the way it turns out. Otherwise, we copy that texture map, use the +Add Multi-Layer Element to make a new element, and paste the texture map into that.

Now we +Add a Multi-Layer Element and add the appropriate texture map from the other texture kit's folder. Just use the opacity slider to set how strong the new texture map blends with the underlying one.

This is also useful for blending Spec maps in the Highlight channel and Bump maps in the Bump channel. 

We could also use this sort of setup, along with a curve filter or other elements to create some very interesting results in Transparency, Reflection, Glow, etc., so have some fun with it.

Likewise, these Multi-Layer Elements can use any of Carrara's shader room drop-down selections - so we can therefore mix several Fractal Noise functions in the same channel - with more control that the standard method of using Operators > Multiply, add, divide, etc., 

As well, we could use the same idea mixing wires with Fractal, with spots, or with wood grains, or....

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Multi Layer example:

To do this, we load in the figure with the standard shaders set up for one of the texture sets. Now turn the Color channel to Muti-Layer. If we want the original color map to remain fully opaque, along with whatever else we add... we can likely just leave it the way it turns out. Otherwise, we copy that texture map, use the +Add Multi-Layer Element to make a new element, and paste the texture map into that.

Now we +Add a Multi-Layer Element and add the appropriate texture map from the other texture kit's folder. Just use the opacity slider to set how strong the new texture map blends with the underlying one.

This is also useful for blending Spec maps in the Highlight channel and Bump maps in the Bump channel. 

We could also use this sort of setup, along with a curve filter or other elements to create some very interesting results in Transparency, Reflection, Glow, etc., so have some fun with it.

Likewise, these Multi-Layer Elements can use any of Carrara's shader room drop-down selections - so we can therefore mix several Fractal Noise functions in the same channel - with more control that the standard method of using Operators > Multiply, add, divide, etc., 

As well, we could use the same idea mixing wires with Fractal, with spots, or with wood grains, or....

I really should upgrade to 8.5, if nothing else, to experiment with this Multi_layer option...within each channel? I know several months ago (...maybe serveral, several months) you kindly provided a screen grab of these new options, but maybe I misunderstood. Are you saying there are options to stack layers upon layers in each channel now, perhaps without having to resort to an Operator? Sorry for confusion.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Dart, Thanks for the pic... I'll have to experiment... never tried this... only got the "+" occasionlly and never on porpuse.

I really should upgrade to 8.5, if nothing else, to experiment with this Multi_layer option...within each channel? I know several months ago (...maybe serveral, several months) you kindly provided a screen grab of these new options, but maybe I misunderstood. Are you saying there are options to stack layers upon layers in each channel now, perhaps without having to resort to an Operator? Sorry for confusion.

Yes, but not in channels that just have an on/off drop-down, like sss. But anywhere where we have access to the major selections drop-down, we can use this and, yes... no need for operators, even though we could use them to add, multiply, etc., these multi-layers together too! But I doubt we'd want to!

Yeah... as the image shows, we can just keep adding layers just like in PhotoShop or PaintShop Pro, Gimp type of thing. 

Normal operation of a layer behaves just like a standard layer in PS - whatever is there is opaque, whatever isn't there isn't there. Then we have Multiply, Add or Subtract as well. Then the Opacity slider lets us blend them nicely! 

But there's a lot more to 8.5 than just this and DUF support! I love the new options in the Animation menu, like Zeroing especially. I can select a forearm and go: Animation > Zero Selection and Children Pose - and it will zero out the rotations of all axis for forearm, hand and all fingers, but nothing else - just another small example.

Genesis 1 has completely enhanced my animation stuff - being male, female, giant and/or child or something completely different, like the super kick arse Gorilla, Troll, Lycan, Monstrosities (Behemoth, Undead Fiend, etc.,) not to mention the cool things PAs have made for it. I love it for making monster and creatures... we can blend in any and all of the human morphs to alter them to make each creature completely individual, male or female, giant adult or child. The more I collect, the better the possibilities - and Genesis works very well in 8.5! 

And did I mention my newfound love for the new Dragon 3? Yikes is that ever cool!

This cool set was a quick test to try DUF scenery pieces in 8.5, but I forgot to try the dials before closing. It sure came in nicely though.

I may praise my love for Generation 4 figure a lot - because I do still really enjot using them and the huge horde of products I have for them, but I also love Genesis 1 and 2! My collections for those are growing steadily.

A while ago I bought a cool Goblins setup for Genesis from RawArt, which I really like - so I later went in for some more of his creatures. I want to eventually collect all creatures for Genesis 1.

But I also have a bunch of regular street-person clothing for Genesis 1 - It's amazingly convenient to be able to decide on male or female any time during the scene creation process - and the clothes (most of them anyways) just follow along and fit nicely!

Auto-fit even works pretty darned good in most cases... but I also have all of the fit-to setups for previous generations, like A3/H3, A4/H4, etc., I bought all of them, I think.

a desolate secret lake,  minotaurs are forest destroyers surprise

the wind outside is blowin here - lol

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Great job.  I especially love the tree limbs swaying in time with the cloud rolling across the sky.  Look forward to more.

diomede said:

Great job.  I especially love the tree limbs swaying in time with the cloud rolling across the sky.  Look forward to more.

+1 yes

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    Yes, but not in channels that just have an on/off drop-down, like sss. But anywhere where we have access to the major selections drop-down, we can use this and, yes... no need for operators, even though we could use them to add, multiply, etc., these multi-layers together too! But I doubt we'd want to!

That's cool, thanks for the info.

edited September 2016

My Pleasure! ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Funny, I still find myself using operations > multiply so often! It takes a while for new habits to form! 

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited September 2016

Multi Layer example:

Dart this is very cool - I never noticed that was in there. So much simpler than nesting adds and multiplys and you can still use a multiply in one of the elements if you need something to just affect one part!  I will be using this a lot now that I know it exists. :)

CarraraMultiLayerElement.jpg
    1509 x 819 - 151K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

can't find spots / cellular, not under patterns?  me eyes tired.

• rk66rk66 Posts: 438

under natural functions you can find.

naturals?   Thanks!  smiley

edited September 2016

well half way there.  trying to make2 different color spot patterns on a 3rd color bottom layer.

so, source 1 would have 2 sources and source2 would have 2 sources,
    Source1 color, Source1 spots, blend
    Source2 color, Source2 spots, blend

then blend source set 1 and source set 2 with a multiply ...?

mebbe ... copy/paste the top branch ...

was expecting spots to be like polka-dots roundish, lol

been totally ignoring the transform tab, no clue 

mrspots.JPG
    700 x 690 - 97K
    Post edited by Mistara on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

If you want a regular arrangement of spots, like a polka dot printed fabric, try using Tiles and increase the % Mortar and the % Radius to get the size of dots you want.

I made a pattern with dots of two colours by using the Multi Channel Mixer as the top layer.  In Source 1 I used the Tiles function to blend between a white background (the "mortar" inbetween the tiles) and red for the tiles (the dots). I then set Source 2 to be blue (nothing fancy, just all blue) and copied the Tiles function to the Blender at the bottom - this made all the spots blus as they were exactly overlaying the red ones of the first texture, so by changing the horizontal and vertical values to 8 rather than 4, I created a nice geometric pattern with two colour dots.

If you want irregular dots, try using Cellular as the blender and bring the limits together (to either side of 30 worked for me) to sharpen up the dots - without the limits set they blend into each other.

In general you can ignore the Transform tab, but if you want to move, rotate or scale the pattern that you have, then you can do it here.

okay, thanks!   yeah, a lil randomizing would be kewl.  seeing some dropdown list options under cellular 

mebbe a math formula could randomize cellular colors.

If you have something very specific in mind, maybe creating a texture map may be easiest!

tackling these first, my favie poser procedurals translate to rara.

poser atlas bone.JPG
    1462 x 935 - 197K
    poser ajax ghostly.JPG
    1424 x 929 - 135K

the trick to rara hair is collision domes?  smiley  read it somewhere

For control of an effect like edge blend that you show, I recommend Sparrowhawke's free Edge Falloff plugin here:

http://www.sparrowhawke3d.com/Sparrowhawke3DLaboratory.html

I am sure you can get close to the other texture with a combination of different operators and texture functions like cellular and fractal noise.  Here is one I came up with with a little playing - also have a look at the built-in Carrara shaders, some of these are really quite sophisticated.

Rock Texture.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 361K
    edited September 2016
    MistyMist said:

Well not domes exactly but some kind of simplified proxy shapes parented to the appropriate body parts. The calculations with an object as complex as a Daz figure lead to a wind-tunnel effect, but if you limit collisions to simplified proxy shapes (and you probably only need a head, possibly neck and shoulders) then you can get some great hair animation. One source of lower res figures is the "Levels of Detail" figures that ship with some figures. And you can remove mouth interiors, eyes, fingers, lower body, and anything else that is not going to collide with the hair.

Post edited by PhilW on
    PhilW said:
    MistyMist said:

Well not domes exactly but some kind of simplified proxy shapes parented to the appropriate body parts. The calculations with an object as complex as a Daz figure lead to a wind-tunnel effect, but if you limit collisions to simplified proxy shapes (and you probably only need a head, possibly neck and shoulders) then you can get some great hair animation. One source of lower res figures is the "Levels of Detail" figures that ship with some figures. And you can remove mouth interiors, eyes, fingers, lower body, and anything else that is not going to collide with the hair.

sounds like a plan.  thanks!!

waiting for evening to bring a cool breeze here to start work.  

and, i think Dart, gave the suggestion to parent camera to each figure, thanks!!

and scifi funk gave the suggestion to parent 3 pointlight to each figure, thanks!!  
    very handy when keylight needed

mohagony and ivoryyy

renders faster subsurfacescattering = none
    but snowy plain loses lustre