virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Misty, in that video I link to above, I know it uses V4 as the main subject, but I talk about some of these important ideas about what certain channels are responsible for, for any sort of material.

I haven't read that article you've found of mine from Carrara Cafe for some time now, but that might also go into a lot of that stuff too.

PhilW said:
    PhilW said:
    MistyMist said:

how to make something ride the wave amplitude swells of ocean primitive, ... surface replications of sea dragon would bob on the waves?  ? 

Yes, I believe that works if I am understanding correctly...just tried with an ocean primitive and a simple vertex sphere and a surface replicator using the ocean as the Source Object for the replicator. The sphere bobs up and down with the waves, even dragging along X or Y axis over time.

Indeed - wow! I have tried replicators on other deforming objects (like a character moving) and that does not work, so I am surprised that this works - but it does! I am constantly amazed by the things that Carrara can do.

Correction - it DOES work with characters too - I am sure that I tried something like that recently that did not work, but just tried adding a surface replicator to a V4 figure and the objects followed both moving the limbs and applying morphs, so what do I know...

Cool!

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    PhilW said:
    PhilW said:
    MistyMist said:
    Correction - it DOES work with characters too - I am sure that I tried something like that recently that did not work, but just tried adding a surface replicator to a V4 figure and the objects followed both moving the limbs and applying morphs, so what do I know...

Cool to know Phil, thanks for testing and sharing!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    PhilW said:
    PhilW said:
    MistyMist said:

how to make something ride the wave amplitude swells of ocean primitive, ... surface replications of sea dragon would bob on the waves?  ? 

Yes, I believe that works if I am understanding correctly...just tried with an ocean primitive and a simple vertex sphere and a surface replicator using the ocean as the Source Object for the replicator. The sphere bobs up and down with the waves, even dragging along X or Y axis over time.

Indeed - wow! I have tried replicators on other deforming objects (like a character moving) and that does not work, so I am surprised that this works - but it does! I am constantly amazed by the things that Carrara can do.

Cool!

I am just trying the case that did not work - it must have been user error, because it is working now! Isn't Carrara wonderful. I may well post the results on my YouTube channel.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    PhilW said:
    PhilW said:
    PhilW said:
    MistyMist said:

Cool!

I am just trying the case that did not work - it must have been user error, because it is working now! Isn't Carrara wonderful. I may well post the results on my YouTube channel.

is exciting!!  catching the carrara fever again.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

kjlkj

MistyMist said:

Waay Cool.. TIP of the DAY - DesertDude

PhilW said:

Outdoor lighting is much easier and straight forward than indoor. A "goto method" is probably a better approach than a "goto preset". Indirect lighting becomes much more important when indoors, so you need to decide how you tackle that, and there are a number of options:

- use full indirect lighting, this will generally give the most realistic results but at the expense of render time (which may or may not be important to you - it becomes hugely important if animating!);

- use ambient occlusion, which can give very good results with some tweaking of parameters and is much faster;

- use carefully placed secondary lights to fake the indirect lighting;

- use an external renderer such as Luxrender or Octane.

Using gamma correction is (I believe) even more important for indoor scenes too, something I have championed both in other threads and in my Realism Rendering videos.

When PhilW speaks... one should listen. I always set gamma correction to 2.2 ... need to watch Realism Rendering videos again and again.

does all the light types give inderict lighting?

or only the sun?

confused cause it's under sunlight in the render tab

edited October 2016
    MistyMist said:

or only the sun?

It's there because the Sunlight in the Render Room is actually Global Illumination, and doesn't require a "Sun" light at all. For example, a gradient, or even just a solid color background of anything brighter than black will provide global illumination when the Skylight is checked in the render room. Many people like to use a simple spherical map as global illumination, just like an HRDI. The difference in an HDRI is, well by definition, its High Dynamic Range, which allows its values to exceed 255 (unlike an 8 bit image), where values that do so will behave as a light source - even though the whole spherical background - any parts that are above "0" or black - will contribute to the global illumination.

Speaking of contributing:

When it comes to Indirect Light, any light will contribute as any sort of light, not just indirect. It is the surfaces in the scene which will use the lights to contribute to IL, depending upon their shader.

Also, Shaders will contribute to both IL and GI, and will actually act as a light source if their glow channel values exceed 100.

Of course, glowing shaders will always contribute to GI and/or IL.

GI doe NOT require IL, not does IL require GI - evn though both, together create a very realistic result.

For really great descriptions and instructions on all of this, I so totally recommend "Realism Rendering" via Infinite Skills, by Phil Wilkes.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    MistyMist said:

or only the sun?

It's there because ...

is not only an incomplete sentence, but is also inaccurate.

It's there (I think - nobody really knows except for the devs that grouped it there) because it's part of this whole portion of advanced lighting via the scene, which doesn't require any 'lights', but lights will contribute to the result.

IL - Ambient Occlusion Only requires that we use the "Ambient" value or color in the scene's Ambient tab.

That stuff is also covered well in the Realism Rendering course.

thanks,  rendering an aspen tree under full idl vs ambient only

all the leaves give good example

was the plane primitive size there the whole time???  never noticed it

plane size.JPG
    223 x 154 - 14K
    ambienttest full idl.JPG
    1221 x 604 - 82K
    ambienttest only.JPG
    1216 x 617 - 87K

followed a link to detroitchopshop loops and samples

sonycreative site redirected me to magix crying

MistyMist said:
    was the plane primitive size there the whole time???  never noticed it

Thanks for spotting that, never noticed myself!  Quickly testing, it's there for most of the primitves, excluding Infinite Plane and Splat. Now if I can remember it's there, it will save a couple of clicks when I insert a plane and don't have to go to the Motion Tab to resize.

Yeah... I don't recall when I've first noticed it either. I did, however, notice that for some things, it doesn't entirley jive with the size metioned in the Motion Tab - kinda funny!

I did, however, notice that for some things, it doesn't entirley jive with the size metioned in the Motion Tab - kinda funny!

Agh! You're right. Bummer...sad

i'se confused by scaling terrains between the magnitudes.  it disappears on me.

installing the Neon Lights set.  has a textures folder under presets

edited October 2016

heart select by shader domain.
    heart the text tool, swapping out signage so eazy

oops

should name the signage levitating inn  smiley

enlightened phonebooth tardis

Post edited by Mistara on

with ambient light cranked up, cans set the direction of occlusion shadow?  is it related to sun or camera?

with realistic sky and a sunlight only, can 100% turn off haze?

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited October 2016

Ambient Occlusion shadows aren't really directional, they are determined by how "exposed" any given point is, so the sun or camera should not affect them at all.

I don't think you can turn off the haze altogether with a realistic sky, because that would be unrealistic. wink

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited October 2016

Wonder what seasonal pic Miisty will add next... now her sig has an nervous/scared pumkin also hmm... next a frightened witch??

Post edited by wgdjohn on

was a bit confusing.  in the poser7, the ibl light position directed the ao shadow, i kept it close to the point light casting shadow.

trying some anything glows on halloween decorations.  
    kitbashing elfmages. smiley  holes in my plot niggling me.  sending characters on a side quest, before the main story starts.  scene inventory, planet, space station, and what else, an ancient ruin.  they questing for a piece of the original chains that bound prometheus.  we all know hercules and xena freed prometheus  lol.  chains were forged by hephestus, they must still exist somewhere.
    question is, would luggage go up in the elevator to orbit

certainly not traditional luggage but there might be clothes where they are going and what they have on... prolly something where they are headed... so no tooth brush or paste... wouldn't need much luggage at all... everything vac packed.

wgdjohn said:

certainly not traditional luggage but there might be clothes where they are going and what they have on... prolly something where they are headed... so no tooth brush or paste... wouldn't need much luggage at all... everything vac packed.

seen the thing they use to clean their teeth on Farscapes?   lol

seeing if this will help with animating if nothing else should make me think of animation related things havent thought of

A classic animation reference!  You can find a lot of Muybridge material online too.

book has a roo smiley

watchin the walk cycle tutt video,  really helped to de-mystify the graph editor, the bezier tweener.

ik link tool

anything besides flattening in graph editor?

I find that the Graph Editor can be useful when you see something weird happening, it can help pinpoint exactly what, then you can drag key points to correct it. 

Another use is to adapt an existing animation (a walk for example) for the height of heels.  Let's say the original animation was done assuming no shoes and then you put high heels on the character.  You need to keep the motion in the ankles but add/subtract an amount to account for the slope of the heel.  You can go into the graph editor for the heel rotation and drag the x-rotation keys uniformly (I think it is the x-rotation from memory, but it will be easy to see if that is wrong!) to add a consistent correction value - and you are done!

saw how easy it was to make a basic walk into an old man shuffle.

didnt touch on how to work on morphs with the graph editor

think i found the screenmarker smiley