virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

1st a cuppa hot soup,  then some scene setup 

render meself some stock footage for establishing shots

sort thru my sony lib for some goto audio background

to show someone talkin on a monitor,  i somehow apply an avi to a plane ?

can loop an avi?

mebbe too many monitors  lol

http://www.daz3d.com/ducc-iray-deep-underground-command-center

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    MistyMist said:
    PhilW said:
    MistyMist said:

thanks smiley

plopped a seahorsie in,  supposed to be starship in orbit  lol

The seahorse appeals more to my sense of the surreal!

seahorse is a cutie.  wanted to see a rotating object parented to a rotating object..  

Cool! You can also have the object rotate on it's own, plunk a Target Helper Object into the center of it (Using Align: Select the object first, ShiftSelect Helper, Ctrl+K to Align to the first selected thing), then parent the starship (seahorse) to the target helper object, and put a spin modifier ion the Target Helper Object! ;) 

Now they can both rotate independent of one another, like a ship orbiting a planet! ;)

MistyMist said:

thanks.  earl gray hot smiley

Mmmm... Having hot Cozy Chamomile as we speak! cheeky

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited September 2016
    MistyMist said:

can loop an avi?

mebbe too many monitors  lol

http://www.daz3d.com/ducc-iray-deep-underground-command-center

osscilate the tweener of an image series

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited September 2016
    MistyMist said:

can loop an avi?

Yes. Just know how long the video clip is (in seconds)

Go down the timeline byond the end of your animation to an amount that's even with that timing. So if your video is one second long, and your animation is two seconds long, you could just go to 2:00 seconds, but I suggest 3:00, which is what we'll use for this - it could be anything. The poiunt here is that we need it to loop three times.

You should see a keyframe for the shader containing the video (at the one second mark). If not, go to the texture room and drag the video playhead to the end of the video, which will now create a keyframe.

If your keyframe is at the one second mark, drag it to the 3:00 mark on the timeline.

Back in the Assemble room, select the tweaner for that shader, and set it to "Oscillate", then set the number of oscillations (in this example) to "3", then set the Oscillation Type to "Sawtooth" - Done ;)

So if the video is two seconds long, and your animation is nine seconds long, drag your keyframe (for the shader) from the 2:00 second mark to the 10:00 second slot, and set the oscillations to 5, set the oscillation type to Sawtooth... Done!

SawtoothTweanerOscillate.jpg
    256 x 494 - 52K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

thanks.  want him sipping his tea a few times during conversation.

chammomile hott  

MistyMist said:

1st a cuppa hot soup,  then some scene setup 

render meself some stock footage for establishing shots

sort thru my sony lib for some goto audio background

Cool... so you bought one, eh?

Really nice having all of those professional sounds to pick from, isn't it? 

still need to figure out that MorphVox Screaming Bee.  

can i make my voice sound like James Cagney?  'you dirty rat see'

there's a preset for squirrel voice.  tee hee. more fun like jawas or ewoks.

found this  http://carraracafe.com/articles/optimizing-your-content-shader-basics/

was searching for tips on skin highlights, phong, etc

my staycation starts next friday night smiley  much ado about rendering.

i been using basically the same scene lighting setup all year. mostly outdoors.

should spend time tomorrow deciding on a goto indoor scene light setup.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

A staycation!  Enjoy.  Happy rendering.  Maybe we'll get a sneak peak of your animation project?

edited October 2016

thanks!  gonna trysmiley

how to make something ride the wave amplitude swells of ocean primitive, ... surface replications of sea dragon would bob on the waves?  ? 

Post edited by Mistara on
    MistyMist said:

Making some practical lamps or fixtures with lighting might be helpful. But I've found that nearly every interior has its own particular needs - much more difficult to create a simple goto. I could be wrong on that - well... except that I only offered an opinion.. and opinions are opinions - not right or wrong... or so I've been told! ;)

It can also be helpful to grab an interior that we really like - and want to use for stuff. Experiment with ways of lighting it. Trying to have a vision each time before starting - so we have a clear intent - which we can relate to as we check the results

• are we getting close to our vision?
    • what's lacking?
    • are the shadows nice looking?
    • did it take long to render? too long?
    • does all of the light have a practical reason for existing in the scene?

These sorts of sessions are something that I go through quite a bit - especially a couple years ago. The huge benefit was a "goto" method rather than a goto preset that I can just drag in, like I do with exteriors.

Hmmm.  Have to put my thinking cap on for that one.  If an object started floating on another object, the z values would be approximately the same at that point (or relationship of z of floater hotpoint to point of sea would be a set ratio).  So, what is desired is to have the z value of the floating object go up and down by the same amount as the z value of the point upon which the object rests.  Might take some testing.  Seems like a wave modifier or a target helper might be helpful.  Maybe even physics?

Somehow, I bet msteaka has pondered this issue with all of those ship renders.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    MistyMist said:

Making some practical lamps or fixtures with lighting might be helpful. But I've found that nearly every interior has its own particular needs - much more difficult to create a simple goto. I could be wrong on that - well... except that I only offered an opinion.. and opinions are opinions - not right or wrong... or so I've been told! ;)

It can also be helpful to grab an interior that we really like - and want to use for stuff. Experiment with ways of lighting it. Trying to have a vision each time before starting - so we have a clear intent - which we can relate to as we check the results

• what's lacking?

These sorts of sessions are something that I go through quite a bit - especially a couple years ago. The huge benefit was a "goto" method rather than a goto preset that I can just drag in, like I do with exteriors.

I look to goto presets as only a starting point. They might get me where I want, seldom, close to it or not even close... then... tweak ♦ tweak ♦ tweak. This is even more important for shaders and objects... first save something simple then save some variations. Hah... reminds me... been meaning to model a bunch of various lamps, one can never have enough. :)

MistyMist said:

thanks!  gonna trysmiley

how to make something ride the wave amplitude swells of ocean primitive, ... surface replications of sea dragon would bob on the waves?  ? 

The simplest answer is to use BrianOrca's Ocean Plugin.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    MistyMist said:

Yes, I believe that works if I am understanding correctly...just tried with an ocean primitive and a simple vertex sphere and a surface replicator using the ocean as the Source Object for the replicator. The sphere bobs up and down with the waves, even dragging along X or Y axis over time.

smiley 

learned over the last few challenges, i need more practice with properly highlighting a material,
    and ior
    learned loading a thing and leaving it with poser or iray intended shader is never good enough!

MistyMist said:

Yes, I believe that works if I am understanding correctly...just tried with an ocean primitive and a simple vertex sphere and a surface replicator using the ocean as the Source Object for the replicator. The sphere bobs up and down with the waves, even dragging along X or Y axis over time.

oh woww  thanks!!

wgdjohn said:
    MistyMist said:

• what's lacking?

I look to goto presets as only a starting point. They might get me where I want, seldom, close to it or not even close... then... tweak ♦ tweak ♦ tweak. This is even more important for shaders and objects... first save something simple then save some variations. Hah... reminds me... been meaning to model a bunch of various lamps, one can never have enough. :)

learned from working on the challenges the light is only half the battle,
    the shader needs to react, mostly correctly, to the light for the material it's representing.

still installing my new stuff smiley, manual installer here lol takes a while.

in a conundrum, was gonna put holyforest shaders under HF subfolder, but howie farkes is HF

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Outdoor lighting is much easier and straight forward than indoor. A "goto method" is probably a better approach than a "goto preset". Indirect lighting becomes much more important when indoors, so you need to decide how you tackle that, and there are a number of options:

- use full indirect lighting, this will generally give the most realistic results but at the expense of render time (which may or may not be important to you - it becomes hugely important if animating!);

- use ambient occlusion, which can give very good results with some tweaking of parameters and is much faster;

- use carefully placed secondary lights to fake the indirect lighting;

- use an external renderer such as Luxrender or Octane.

Using gamma correction is (I believe) even more important for indoor scenes too, something I have championed both in other threads and in my Realism Rendering videos.

MistyMist said:

Wow!!! I wanna try that! To sink down a bit just adjust the hotpoint! Holy Crap! I never thought that would work - thought the replicated object would kinda stay in  one spot!

Thanks for experimenting Dude of the Desert!!! Wow!!!

MistyMist said:

still installing my new stuff smiley, manual installer here lol takes a while.

in a conundrum, was gonna put holyforest shaders under HF subfolder, but howie farkes is HF

Use subfolder: "Holyforest"? ;)

MistyMist said:
    wgdjohn said:
    MistyMist said:

• what's lacking?

learned from working on the challenges the light is only half the battle,
    the shader needs to react, mostly correctly, to the light for the material it's representing.

Yup.

I've written my fingers blue on these sorts of things. If I can think of where they might be, I'll drop a link.

I've got some special ways that I work on shaders for the figures that I save to my browser for further use in stills and animations - getting them ready-to-go.

Here's something that might give you some ideas (?) But ask me if you have any specific questions on this stuff. I laways like to have a good, strong Rim light coming at the subject from behond, to help highlight the edge 'rim'. 

MistyMist said:

Wow!!! I wanna try that! To sink down a bit just adjust the hotpoint! Holy Crap! I never thought that would work - thought the replicated object would kinda stay in  one spot!

Thanks for experimenting Dude of the Desert!!! Wow!!!

I can't take credit - it's actually an old trick I read about ages ago from a forum member who I haven't seen around in years....and for the life of me can't remeber his name. He also did a tutorial using volumetric clouds replicated on a flat plane if that rings any bells for anyone. This is gonna drive me nuts until I can remeber his name, but anyway, glad it helps.

MistyMist said:

Indeed - wow! I have tried replicators on other deforming objects (like a character moving) and that does not work, so I am surprised that this works - but it does! I am constantly amazed by the things that Carrara can do.

This is great. So I could replicate just 1 copy of the original to make a floating object like a surfer or a small boat?  Can't wait to test.  Not at home now. 

PhilW said:
    MistyMist said:

Indeed - wow! I have tried replicators on other deforming objects (like a character moving) and that does not work, so I am surprised that this works - but it does! I am constantly amazed by the things that Carrara can do.

Correction - it DOES work with characters too - I am sure that I tried something like that recently that did not work, but just tried adding a surface replicator to a V4 figure and the objects followed both moving the limbs and applying morphs, so what do I know...

diomede said:

So I could replicate just 1 copy of the original to make a floating object like a surfer or a small boat? 

Yes, that's what I did with the sphere.

edited October 2016

someone who went by the name tigme? There are several tutorials on renderosity,, including "Making objects stick to the Ocean waves", but all coming up 404 Not Found errors...  :(

Post edited by DesertDude on

Was it "ExtruD", perhaps? Another long lost member is Sub7th. Tim Payne did a lot of these sorts of tests as well as Mcgyver, who's not lost - just elusive! ;)