Post Your Renders like it's the year 2020!!!

Comments

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    MistyRara said:

...i'se playing with ear poses...

LOL - there's a phrase I bet no one has ever written before. Now I am wondering if there are professional ear models. cheeky

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited April 2017
    MistyRara said:

they has the tv on smiley

i'se playing with ear poses.  dunno whats going on with nostril glow 

I encountered the same effect in one of my first Carrara renders in April 2016 with Michael 6.

M601.jpg
    1093 x 1092 - 373K
    Post edited by Vyusur on

This is my first attempt to import aniblock to Carrara

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

a Walk in the Park smiley

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    head wax said:
     I used Oloneo relight - it lets you choose the individual lights in the scene and you can influence how much they light up th erest of the scene etc

That is really cool. Does it work as well with CG lights as lights in photos?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

Hey Kevin,

So glad to see you back!

I'm crossing my fingers that you will enter the Challenge.  I've gone back and looked at many of the previous ones, and your work is always top-notch.

BTW - I used your fireplace in the previous Challenge.  Many thanks!

I'll see what I can do. I have a project that will pay me, so that will have to be my priority. It is for a high school, so I need to get it done before graduations in May.

Headwax, the play was very, very, successful on all levels. Artistically, creatively for the cast, audience and critical reviews, and financially. On a personal level, it was a very special production. When you see it, you'll know why.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

Facebook will not let me upload any images!

q0108.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 856K
    edited April 2017

Great render!yes

Post edited by Vyusur on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,324
    Varsel said:

Trying to make some Space Scenes.

The rocks are Vertex objects that I created using cubes, surface-duplicated and boolean together. Then ad smooth... (some cleanup required)

The dust is Primvol Fog.

Then there is a invissible form to Surface-Replicate the astroids and dust on.

Surely you mean: "Succeeding" at making some Space scenes! ;)

Very cool! yes

Here are three views showing the two lights in my scene:

1 bulb only - amber tint

2 spotlight only - light cone with blue tint

3 both lights shining on whole scene.

Very cool workflow - very much how I work most of the time, with some subtle personal differences, of course.

One thing I've been having a lot of fun with lately is using this image in the cone-effected light's Gel (effects tab) as a map, then enabling the Fog setting in the cone effect. 

I don't think you need it for this scene, as I think your settings are really rockin' just as they are. I just wanted to share this Gel with you to experiment with ;)

VolFogGel.jpg
    800 x 800 - 141K

Catching up on some render posts...

Wow Squirrels!!! Sweet!

The return of Evil? Cool landscape and urn character!

HeadWax... interesting and cool as always!

Wow... lot of cool stuff in here. Great renders going on everyone! Wondering if the glowing nostrils thing comes from any lights set with less than 100% shadows? Otherwise, it's light angles. Be careful to not try to blast the whole figure full of light. Instead, use some light coming across the figure from the sides, from above, etc., to let sadows do their thing. For less darkness in the shadows, add a soft light that softens those shadows. I know... I talk big, right? Lighting is the big thing that can make or break an image, but is also not an easy thing to get down. I don't think I'll ever stop experimenting to get better. 

Wendy, very interesting image! Cool!

Misty, is that Genesis 3?

Still making my way through all of these images... really cool!

1 bulb only - amber tint

Very cool workflow - very much how I work most of the time, with some subtle personal differences, of course.

One thing I've been having a lot of fun with lately is using this image in the cone-effected light's Gel (effects tab) as a map, then enabling the Fog setting in the cone effect. 

I don't think you need it for this scene, as I think your settings are really rockin' just as they are. I just wanted to share this Gel with you to experiment with ;)

I made a nice animated light gel for rayed effects using the light cone, by animating volumetric clouds against a black background and rendering with an isometric camera. The shape shift is subtle yet noticeable. I used it in my video, Dart, so you can decide for yourself how it looks. wink

Cloud Gel017.png
    720 x 720 - 170K

Catching up on some render posts...

Wow Squirrels!!! Sweet!

The return of Evil? Cool landscape and urn character!

HeadWax... interesting and cool as always!

Wow... lot of cool stuff in here. Great renders going on everyone! Wondering if the glowing nostrils thing comes from any lights set with less than 100% shadows? Otherwise, it's light angles. Be careful to not try to blast the whole figure full of light. Instead, use some light coming across the figure from the sides, from above, etc., to let sadows do their thing. For less darkness in the shadows, add a soft light that softens those shadows. I know... I talk big, right? Lighting is the big thing that can make or break an image, but is also not an easy thing to get down. I don't think I'll ever stop experimenting to get better. 

Wendy, very interesting image! Cool!

Misty, is that Genesis 3?

Still making my way through all of these images... really cool!

si,  Michael 7 / mittens.  

ear posing, lol

smiley

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited April 2017

I get good nostril glow when I jack up ambient :) welcome back dart

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited April 2017
    cdordoni said:
    head wax said:
     I used Oloneo relight - it lets you choose the individual lights in the scene and you can influence how much they light up th erest of the scene etc

That is really cool. Does it work as well with CG lights as lights in photos?

sorry, just saw this :

Thanks :) I mainly use it for the HDR part just for fine tuning fetails - it's adds a lot of control

Plus I can take 3 renders from Carrara at different gammas and make a fake HDRI

This is the first time I have used it for a relight - and I was just mucking around but it helped the image a lot -

I think it would work the same with digital renders as real photos as it's just reading the lighting in the scene I think ...

I found out about  via this Carrara tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ng11d9IvJI

there is also their own tut http://www.oloneo.com/en/page/products/photoengine/hdr-relight.html

I use the HDR part  for final tuning of all my renders , then take it back into PS and fine tune the levels

Do you have a method for entering the exposure properties of your individual renders when baking into an HDRI?

I'm not a photographer. I've made guesses when creating my first few HDR images, but it would be cool to have some sort of chart to help figure out the values when we're not using RAW photos with metadata filling that stuff in.

That PhotoEngine looks pretty cool!

1 bulb only - amber tint

I made a nice animated light gel for rayed effects using the light cone, by animating volumetric clouds against a black background and rendering with an isometric camera. The shape shift is subtle yet noticeable. I used it in my video, Dart, so you can decide for yourself how it looks. wink

<<smacks forehead>>

Wow! Why haven't I tried my animated fogs and smokes?!!! Thanks ep!!! Also, thanks for the tip regarding rendering with an isometric camera for making effects... I'm going to try that!

Hya Dart, yes it's aways in the workflow for me.

For HDRi I just winged it by using different lights and gamma settings In Carrara and rendering out 3 or four renders with variations and combing in Oloneo as an Hdri.

It worked fine, but that's to my eye, and I'm one that likes less photorealism ;)

But I guess the interesting thing (advantage?)  is that you can set up your scene and generate a HDRI from that scene and then use that HDRI to light the scene.

But I think I am missing something....

interesting comment by Prof Phil here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/756215/#Comment_756215

Ouch! That looks like it Hurt!

edited April 2017

is that the Easter Rabbitt Stezza? Last time I saw him he was wandering round in the gutter up the end of our street and suffering from Myxamatosis... glad he recovered

All of this talk of volumetric lighting... I had to crank out a quickie with my new character I got from TheAntFarm during March Madness. I still haven't had the chance to give him his EYEDeas 3+ eyes, but with a quick tweak on the iris shaders and some nice refraction on the cornea I was able to pull off a half-icky shot. The main idea on this one was the lighting - just using a couple of wall props from TheAntFarm's Shanty Town kit (I love this scenery!!!) made enough of a backdrop, and the semi-perpendicular one has plenty of holes to let my cone lighting's 3D shadows through, using the above image as a gel, and then with Fog enabled in the cone lighting. I purposely kept away from post work to show how nicely the volumetric lighting works.

Just an added note: I rarely ever rely upon this volumetric lighting as actual illumination on its own - if even at all. It's only used as an effect to illustrate light flowing into the scene. I use specific lighting to illuminate the subject. But with the volumetric lighting in the scene, the entire area can flood with light, which is nice (I think) so the specific lighting can remain quite low in brightness. My fill light was set to a mid/dark grey at brightness of 6, Key light was at 47, slightly yellow, and the rim was at 366 and white. But I also used Gamma Correction at 2.2

terrific nice render @Dart and even nicer explanation , thanks, cant wait to fire up Carrara and try this - by the 'above image you mean the one from here?

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/ef/ad51ec9b127beb9eba435a7ff7ca52.jpg

@Wendy et @Stezza et al, in case you hadnt seen it,  AM updated his Rodent base to include some new morphs

head wax said:

Hya Dart, yes it's aways in the workflow for me.

For HDRi I just winged it by using different lights and gamma settings In Carrara and rendering out 3 or four renders with variations and combing in Oloneo as an Hdri.

It worked fine, but that's to my eye, and I'm one that likes less photorealism ;)

But I guess the interesting thing (advantage?)  is that you can set up your scene and generate a HDRI from that scene and then use that HDRI to light the scene.

But I think I am missing something....

interesting comment by Prof Phil here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/756215/#Comment_756215

Thanks! Yeah, I just read that comment, but when we add the multiple images into whatever software to meld them together into an HDR or EXR, they ask for the exposure information for each image. Each time I've made one I've looked up some examples on the web and used that info to make a wild guess! LOL 

I've tried some experiments with rendering specific light sources around the scene using glowing object which also cast light, and then making several spherical renders and merge them into an HDRI, which works great and is loads of fun - even though it can take an enormous amount of time - but I still haven't made one that I like using over a more simple spherical image and just using lights. I was hoping for more directional illumination from the HDRI and just haven't found it yet. 

Carrara can also create some amazing IBL! Just map an image onto a sphere and use the Environmental Lighting command. I think it's in the Edit menu. Filling out this dialog results in any number of anything Glows lights, colored according to the mapped sphere - the dialog helps to determine how many AG lights are created. Again... I had a lot of fun messing with it, but I still like using good ol' cinematography techniques instead. Much faster and easier to control and, for me, much better results in the end. 

Well, I guess that last part is questionable. For me it's better because I don't like to wait forever for an automatic lighting solution at super high-end render settings. But that's only because of my own tastes - trying to make movies, one needs to develop a certain style, get confy with it, and stick with it for consistency. At least that's my solution. 

But there's truly some great evidence that using the high-end solutions can crank out some amazing imagery! My focus has simply been elsewhere ;)

What I have so far at a larger size. Not sure what's going on with the gamma. Looks much brighter as it is rendering.

Northern Lights.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 1M

Very cool!

head wax said:

i don't see an inner nostril area on the uv template.

never looked if there's a nostril cavity in there and polys to uv map 

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited April 2017
    MistyRara said:
    head wax said:

i don't see an inner nostril area on the uv template.

never looked if there's a nostril cavity in there and polys to uv map 

There are just a couple rows of polys inside the nostril and then it is open space,so if there is any SSS or glow on the skin of the nose it will probably light up the inside of the nose.  Here's where the inside of the nostril is on Genesis 2 (model on the left, UV map for the face on the right, same area highlighted in orange on both):

Capture.JPG
    1663 x 1004 - 511K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

oh, i been using the cellular highlight on "face"  

would need to exclude inner nostril, without a separate material zone

oops reverted to poser speak a moment.cool  / meant shading domain

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Todays image brought to you bt the letters A B M & O smiley

This discussion has been closed.