Post Your Renders like it's the year 2020!!!

Comments

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    Jonstark said:

first frame of my next clip

slight chromatic aberration in post

Looks strikingly realistic (not surprising considering how I'm always astonished at how excellent your lighting and texturing work is).  But when you say 'clip' does this mean you'll be making an animation?  If so I would love to see the animation when it's done.  :)

hi Jon, since I consider carrara internal engine a viable solution for animations only, all my efforts are meant for that purpose wink

about my clips, when I'll get a just commitment I hope to be able to show off my best laugh

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Thanks Jonstark

I'm just a fiddler when it comes to modeling... just learning a little bit more as I go yes

added some detail today... struggling with some parts but that's half the fun.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Looks good, Stezza :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited September 2017

+1

@Stezza - Not only is the modeling excellent, but I am really impressed with the shaders.  Could you explain those a little?  Are they Carrara presets? Did you construct them yourself in the Carrara shader room just for this project, or have them left from previous projects?  Is the wood shader from a pic that you took yourself, or from a collection?  Do them in Substance Painter?  Etc. etc. etc.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • first frame of my next clip

slight chromatic aberration in post

Gonna do a fly through?  Hope so!

Stezza said:
    this weekend's Work in Progress... still lots to do.. like axles and stuff

Modelling in Carrara
    Chitty

Still think you should open a Daz store.  smiley

Jonstark said:

In the recent thread about Top 5 carrara plugins, I picked Architools as one of my top 5, because I think it's immensely useful and generally fun to use, but it struck me I haven't really used it in a long time.  I wondered if maybe it would all come back to me like riding a bike, or whether I would struggle to relearn it.  Turns out sort of both things are true, some parts came back to me quickly, others I had to relearn, and in the process of tinkering I learned whole bunches of new stuff I didn't previously know about how to use Architools to the best effect.  So I didn't have a lot of free time this weekend, but I went to google and searched on 'suburban house', picked an picture of an interesting looking house, and decded I would try to re-create something similar. 

Jon, that is a very nice house.  If you are merely limping around in the vetex modeler, then I am not even crawling!  Thanks for posting about Architools.  I'd seen it advertised, but your description and pic provided more insight.

Diomede said:

+1

@Stezza - Not only is the modeling excellent, but I am really impressed with the shaders.  Could you explain those a little?  Are they Carrara presets? Did you construct them yourself in the Carrara shader room just for this project, or have them left from previous projects?  Is the wood shader from a pic that you took yourself, or from a collection?  Do them in Substance Painter?  Etc. etc. etc.

Hey, thanks diomede et al

The shaders are just the basic Carrara shaders that come with Carrara with some adjusted in the shader room... all from Carrara but two..

The basket is just a simple wicker jpg image and the boat section texture is from MatCreator shaders which I adjusted in the shader room for colour and the flow direction. The images are straight renders with no post work.

I don't have substance painter... so can't help with that one.

Chitty's First Test Flight around Howie Land 

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Chitty looks great fun!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,335
    Stezza said:

Excellent !!!!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited September 2017
    Stezza said:

While waiting for the HiveWire3D dog to be released I knocked up an organic flea.... scratch scratch surprise

the ones at vet

^694E1DE8AD47D56899DD302DCFD4537091D7D8C8EB84563AAE^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 99K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

wow..... how uncanny is that!

fleas!

Chitty's second test flight.... heart

Stezza said:

yeswink

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    Stezza said:

Great model and great render.  I feel inspired to make a candy cart that can convert into a prison-wagon so Chitty can fly to the rescue!

edited September 2017

magnificent Stezza or daring

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

w.i.p. Louise http://www.eisko.com/ ; almost ready for a turntable animation laugh

15.jpg
    1800 x 2400 - 335K
    17.jpg
    1800 x 2400 - 350K
  • Margaremoto, is she going to be part of the previous clip?

edited September 2017

Hi,UB

mine are only short tests, maybe one day I'll gather them all; what drives me to go on is the awareness that we could make shots (well, the easiest ones) like in this video:

maybe with PBR shaders would be easier, nevertheless I believe we could succeed wink

Post edited by magaremoto on

two more shots of Louise to emphasize the roughness of the skin

slight corrections in post

Doc50.jpg
    1800 x 2400 - 1M
    Doc60.jpg
    1800 x 2400 - 1M
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Stezza said:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bangheart
    Our fine four fendered friend

chitty's cousin was in harry potter, iirc

th3Digit said:
    Stezza said:

While waiting for the HiveWire3D dog to be released I knocked up an organic flea.... scratch scratch surprise

the ones at vet

The new ant from Hivewire3D is taking on my flea! smiley

Stezza said:
    th3Digit said:
    Stezza said:

the ones at vet

The new ant from Hivewire3D is taking on my flea! smiley

I think flee not flea would have been the safer option surprise

Hopefully the ant will get some reinforcements to help out !!!!

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Holy moly, you are amazing.  I know you've mentioned you've done changes to the texture maps  in advance in photoshop, could I do similar using Gimp, or would I need Photoshop to even come close?  Man, I would kill to know your settings  :) 

laugh

revisited my Oldsmobile I started a couple years ago..

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Jonstark,  I've used Gimp in the past... now use Corel PaintShop Pro.  I have PShop but very seldom use it.  See Knittingmommy's Laboratory ... she uses Gimp and has some good tutorials for it.

wgdjohn said:

Jonstark,  I've used Gimp in the past... now use Corel PaintShop Pro.  I have PShop but very seldom use it.  See Knittingmommy's Laboratory ... she uses Gimp and has some good tutorials for it.

Yeah, I'm scraped by with Gimp so far, it seems to do quite a lot.  It's a funny thing that I'll spend more than $500 for a render engine plugin, but I get the stingy when it comes to photo editing software.  I guess because rendering seems so fun and exciting, while postwork seems like... I dunno, work?  And worse than that, work I don't know how to do  :)  I really have got to work on my postwork skillz, I'm tremendously lacking in that area for certain.

So here's the latest house I modelled using Architools.  I chose a reference picture from google of a very large suburban house, I'm mostly pleased by the results.  It only takes about an hour or so for the house, and I'm getting faster the more I use it (which is why I'm trying to adopt a system of creating at least 1 new house each week, so I can start to get decent with this tool).  It actually took longer for me to fumble in the vertex room to create my clumsy driveway, walkway and steps leading up to the house, as well as a the ground plane I created, than it did to make the house.  Got to get better in the vertex modelling room, but I figure it's really again simply a matter of doing more and more modelling there until I get better and better with it.

Architools House 10.5.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 120K

I was about to buy a treasure chest last nite at a pretty steep discount in the sale, but I stopped myself and said 'self, you ought to be able to make a treasure chest yourself, in the vertex modeling room'.  Well I fumbled for a while, zoning out and just enjoying learning and messing up and starting over and trying again.  Finally I came up with something that roughly looks like a chest.  The chests available in the store are much better, but I'm inordinately pleased with this crude little chest I managed to make all by myself  :)  The keyhole in the lock was the part that I thought would be trickiest to figure out, but in the end it was simple as using the polyline tool to draw half the outline, then the lathe tool to make it it's object, then used that as a boolean to subtract from a standard cube. Nice easy simple solution that doesn't look too horrible  :)

Treasure Chest1.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 115K
    Jonstark said:

Holy moly, you are amazing.  I know you've mentioned you've done changes to the texture maps  in advance in photoshop, could I do similar using Gimp, or would I need Photoshop to even come close?  Man, I would kill to know your settings  :) 

thanks Jon, would have your skills with the C hair system instead! as for the skin, most of times you have the right maps to play with, what I actually do within  carrara is create a double layer (see the screenshots below) with 2 different maps, the original one and another one more contrasted, and another map (or a color too) as transparency map, and tweak them according to the scene lighting; it's sort of what happens in actual world, where the most superficial skin layer, or film, reacts to light making the inner one transparent or not.

for the map handling you may use gimp or photoscape (my favourite one) or even xnview

below the final shot of Louise

2017-10-03_104849.jpg
    1920 x 1050 - 327K
    2017-10-03_105057.jpg
    1920 x 1050 - 327K
    louise.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 160K
This discussion has been closed.