Post Your Renders like it's the year 2020!!!

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Cool looking houses Jonstark yes

Some of the Herculoids

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Hi,UB

mine are only short tests, maybe one day I'll gather them all; what drives me to go on is the awareness that we could make shots (well, the easiest ones) like in this video:

maybe with PBR shaders would be easier, nevertheless I believe we could succeed wink

I completely agree. 

FYI, those great cutscene cinematics are rarely made using the real-time game render engine, but from an amazing and talented cinematic vfx studio. So never be disappointed when a render takes quite some time for one frame to get more realism. 

Loving the results you're getting!

Jonstark said:
    wgdjohn said:

Jonstark,  I've used Gimp in the past... now use Corel PaintShop Pro.  I have PShop but very seldom use it.  See Knittingmommy's Laboratory ... she uses Gimp and has some good tutorials for it.

Yeah, I'm scraped by with Gimp so far, it seems to do quite a lot.  It's a funny thing that I'll spend more than $500 for a render engine plugin, but I get the stingy when it comes to photo editing software.  I guess because rendering seems so fun and exciting, while postwork seems like... I dunno, work?  And worse than that, work I don't know how to do  :)  I really have got to work on my postwork skillz, I'm tremendously lacking in that area for certain.

Gimp is an amazing editor. The passion of an immense GNU team is truly incredible.

Love the ArchiTools work! Nice!

Awesome work, Stezza!!! Damn!

Wendy, that is one scary fricken Flea! Yikes! I like it though! 

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

Hi,UB

mine are only short tests, maybe one day I'll gather them all; what drives me to go on is the awareness that we could make shots (well, the easiest ones) like in this video:

maybe with PBR shaders would be easier, nevertheless I believe we could succeed wink

I completely agree. 

FYI, those great cutscene cinematics are rarely made using the real-time game render engine, but from an amazing and talented cinematic vfx studio. So never be disappointed when a render takes quite some time for one frame to get more realism. 

thanks DB,

about the cinematic, only crowds and mocap (and maybe waves) could be hardly handled within carrara, all the rest could be achieved imo; I can't figure out how to perform such takes in D/S wink

it could be also a mess by using octane, unless you have dozens of gpus and a lot of ram

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    Jonstark said:

two more shots of Louise to emphasize the roughness of the skin

slight corrections in post

Holy moly, you are amazing.  I know you've mentioned you've done changes to the texture maps  in advance in photoshop, could I do similar using Gimp, or would I need Photoshop to even come close?  Man, I would kill to know your settings  :) 

thanks Jon, would have your skills with the C hair system instead! as for the skin, most of times you have the right maps to play with, what I actually do within  carrara is create a double layer (see the screenshots below) with 2 different maps, the original one and another one more contrasted, and another map (or a color too) as transparency map, and tweak them according to the scene lighting; it's sort of what happens in actual world, where the most superficial skin layer, or film, reacts to light making the inner one transparent or not.

for the map handling you may use gimp or photoscape (my favourite one) or even xnview

below the final shot of Louise

That's a fascinating approach.  I notice you aren't using subsurface scattering at all, I suppose it's not needed/redundant when you're actually using transparency and translucency channels instead which together would create the same (or possibly superior to whatever math the Carrara SSS uses) physical effect of light interacting with the translucency of  human skin.  I appreciate you sharing this very much.  Looks like the texture map you've got in the Opacity channel for that 2nd layer is significantly darker even than the regular texture map.  I also see you're using maps in the reflection, tranlucency and transparency channels.  I'm guessing the reflections must be blurred reflections?  I ask because no matter how much I turn down reflection intensity, even down to .5%, I still get way too much clearness of reflections, and I'm betting blurred reflections are what's needed to break up the reflection (but I know that also spikes the render times upwards significantly too).

Jonstark said:

That's a fascinating approach.  I notice you aren't using subsurface scattering at all, I suppose it's not needed/redundant when you're actually using transparency and translucency channels instead which together would create the same (or possibly superior to whatever math the Carrara SSS uses) physical effect of light interacting with the translucency of  human skin.

I appreciate you sharing this very much.  Looks like the texture map you've got in the Opacity channel for that 2nd layer is significantly darker even than the regular texture map.  

I also see you're using maps in the reflection, tranlucency and transparency channels.  I'm guessing the reflections must be blurred reflections?  I ask because no matter how much I turn down reflection intensity, even down to .5%, I still get way too much clearness of reflections, and I'm betting blurred reflections are what's needed to break up the reflection (but I know that also spikes the render times upwards significantly too)

you are right Jon, I have noticed that many unbiased renderers have been using transparency and translucency to simulate SSS and imo it makes sense; I activate SSS in carrara only for body parts such arms or legs  when needed.

I usually add a reddish dominance to the transparency channel (depending on the general lighting), just like for the opacity mask (wrongly named transparency map in my previous post): usually the same map used for the translucency (usually very intense with a red dominance) is being used for the opacity mask but with a backlight treatment in ps or such, to flatten the contrast among the parts without losing the color intensity: it may give an irregular mapping of the skin and adds a bit of color too, I appreciate it a lot for animations, otherwise for stills may give  exaggerated results

as for the reflection, whether the map doesn't fit my needs, I tweak it directly within carrara by using the curve filter to increase the B/W contrast and so for the shininess/highlight channel; if I want to get a bluish color for the shininess I use the color chip in the highlight channel and the map in the shininess one

Hi,UB

I completely agree. 

thanks DB,

about the cinematic, only crowds and mocap (and maybe waves) could be hardly handled within carrara, all the rest could be achieved imo; I can't figure out how to perform such takes in D/S wink

it could be also a mess by using octane, unless you have dozens of gpus and a lot of ram

In my filmmaking studies, I am fully confident that we can (and will) do crowds via mocap in Carrara. 

Yeah... I like what they're doing/trying to do with DS - proud of them for achieving what they've accomplished with it - sincerely.

But I love Carrara so much more - especially for things like what we're talking about here. Not only does it do the work, but it makes it pretty darned easy to understand how to proceed forward. Maybe it's just me, but the interface is a nice tutorial all in itself in Carrara. I am convinced that I'll never stop learning new skills in this ancient piece of 3D Authoring Excellence! ;)

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    Jonstark said:
    wgdjohn said:

Jonstark,  I've used Gimp in the past... now use Corel PaintShop Pro.  I have PShop but very seldom use it.  See Knittingmommy's Laboratory ... she uses Gimp and has some good tutorials for it.

Yeah, I'm scraped by with Gimp so far, it seems to do quite a lot.  It's a funny thing that I'll spend more than $500 for a render engine plugin, but I get the stingy when it comes to photo editing software.  I guess because rendering seems so fun and exciting, while postwork seems like... I dunno, work?  And worse than that, work I don't know how to do  :)  I really have got to work on my postwork skillz, I'm tremendously lacking in that area for certain.

Gimp can likely do anything that either PSP or PS will... but it's GUI works much differently for some things. I chose PSP since it is very close to some Amiga programs and even supports loading the Amiga native format... besides it's inexpensive and so are it's upgrades...  And if you have FilterForge it has plugins for all the popular 2D programs.  I started with Carrara 4 Pro but until early last year had not actually saved any renders so have been entering the Carrara Challenges, all but 2, since early last year... helps me learn the program and save renders.  I do stay away from Postwork in them but have done some... mostly only for textures on objects... still need more practice and agree that it is sorta like work... especially when I want to concentrate more on modeling and learning new Carrara tools, features etc.

Regarding your house... looking good.  I do have Architools but have only played with it... never saved anything.  I started my Modeling thread with a problem I was having in the Vertex modeler and recieved all kinds of great advice as well as many different ways to model a room or a house... first 4 pages are mostly dedicated to it as well as some later pages.  Like your "a house a week"  I've been doing the same in the VM and getting somewhat good for me... I'm rather slow at learning new things... partly because I always want things too perfect.

Regarding your treasure chest... kewl!  I can't figure out how to look at the back... curious if you made some hinges also. cool

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Dave,  You are Crazy Good... hmm perhaps just Crazy. :)

Magaremoto, Alway enjoy your great renders and examples... fffantastic!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341
    Jonstark said:

So here's the latest house I modelled using Architools.  I chose a reference picture from google of a very large suburban house, I'm mostly pleased by the results.  It only takes about an hour or so for the house, and I'm getting faster the more I use it (which is why I'm trying to adopt a system of creating at least 1 new house each week, so I can start to get decent with this tool).  It actually took longer for me to fumble in the vertex room to create my clumsy driveway, walkway and steps leading up to the house, as well as a the ground plane I created, than it did to make the house.  Got to get better in the vertex modelling room, but I figure it's really again simply a matter of doing more and more modelling there until I get better and better with it.

Looking great - I will have to dust off my own Architools and use it.

Stezza said:

Cool looking houses Jonstark yes

Some of the Herculoids

Groovy yes

another Herculoids Family snap smiley

Stezza said:

another Herculoids Family snap smiley

Nice !!!!!

look at this, I love such level of realism, maybe one day we could watch something like that made in D/S and/or Carrara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=52&v=GCICGJhfjM0

made in maya, with mari, Marvelous Designer, Nuke, V-Ray and ZBrush

actors next gen..... they'll be able to have anyone in a movie soon without telling the difference  surprise

added the rest of the Herculoids and Space Ghost snuck in the back for a photo bomb!

first try on Stonemason's Venice, stunning maps as usual

a bit of chromatic aberration in post

10.jpg
    3600 x 1460 - 3M

another shot from a different point of view, a bit of de-gamma in post

13.jpg
    1200 x 487 - 137K
    Stezza said:

actors next gen..... they'll be able to have anyone in a movie soon without telling the difference  surprise

It's just SO MUCH more work! LOL

look at this, I love such level of realism, maybe one day we could watch something like that made in D/S and/or Carrara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=52&v=GCICGJhfjM0

made in maya, with mari, Marvelous Designer, Nuke, V-Ray and ZBrush

I don't doubt that the right artist could do this in Carrara. It would certainly take a lot of practice. Gorgeous work! 

Very cool renders you guys! Damn!

would you care for an icecream?

Stezza said:

would you care for an icecream?

or is that an ice-scream ?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited October 2017

I think that clown is selling the kids cigarettes out the back.  Great render.

In the future, people will pay to see retired race car drivers return to race vintage cars.

speed geezer after ff composite.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 360K
    Post edited by Diomede on

vintage cars complete with their own oxygen supply smiley

Simon & Garfunkel will have to rerelease Baby Driver as Pappy Driver

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited October 2017

Here is a quick pinup using Ringo's Stephanie 6 skin shader.  

beach girl ringo steph 6 shader.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 189K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Heh-heh.

yes

Salvaged this one from the temp directory..... after a Carrara crash!!

Good catch! Glad it didn't accidentally get trashed!

...and right around the time you mentioned Baby Driver, too! Coincidence?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

That kid's nicked my spare club 

LOL!

This discussion has been closed.