Post Your Renders like it's the year 2020!!!

Comments

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited June 2019

Good day all,

Same image without the DOF.

Desert Patrol no dof.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 391K
    Post edited by chickenman on
  • GipsGips Posts: 44
    edited June 2019

short carrara story

heroes1.jpg
    900 x 2048 - 1012K
    Post edited by Gips on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

you can go to 800 pixels across  BTW

so he changed her flat tyre and stole her spacecraft?

yes look like that

thanks, I just don't understand how, I try learn this later

yes look like that

thanks, I just don't understand how, I try learn this later

in the dialogue for the image icon you can type in width and height of your image url

in the dialogue for the image icon you can type in width and height of your image url

thanks again, I made it

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited June 2019

@an error has occurred, is that supposed to be a 3D image (meaning you look through tinted glasses to see a 3D effect)? It looks kind of blurry with a weird color shift.

Post edited by evilproducer on

@an error has occurred, is that supposed to be a 3D image (meaning you look through tinted glasses to see a 3D effect)? It looks kind of blurry with a weird color shift.

yes, I wanted to create a similar effect for viewing through colored glasses for books. like these

yes, I wanted to create a similar effect for viewing through colored glasses for books. like these

How does that work with color images?

How does that work with color images?

This is my first attempt and result is not very good. still testing for better result

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Bean Tossing smiley

edited June 2019

Here's a pinup I made yesterday. Depth of field added in Affinity Photo using a depth pass. I also added a vignette, noise, and a slight blur to mimic film grain. I used no GI. Carrara's standard raytraced renderer. The ocean is the Carrara ocean primitive added to a replicator and tiled seamlessly. I used the foam shader to add white caps.

Criss-cross bikini.jpg
    4096 x 2304 - 7M
    Post edited by evilproducer on

thanks Philemo for the HD plugin

scarey stuff Wendy... awesome yes

Nice job Wendy!
    Stezza, that is a great job on the gorilla!

thanks EP..

that is the Hivewire3D Gorilla morph on Dusk...

also you Carrarians did you know it's that time of the year again for the Song Bird Challenge over at HW3d ... wave the Carrara flag and get an entry in ... great prizes on offer.

I've put mine in yes  smiley

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited July 2019

wip - new free head scan by ten24, no post work

1.jpg
    2560 x 3000 - 585K
    Post edited by magaremoto on
  • wip - new free head scan by ten24, no post work

Excellent, the only thing I would say (if you don't mind) is the specular highlights are too high; see detail below.

you're welcome Selinita smiley

very good remark thx, I need to practice many features of Philemo's PBR lighting model yet, very funny though laugh

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited July 2019

@magaremoto, very skillful work! And thank you for the resource. I really enjoy it!

Here is my two cents to Carrara's native render engine:

Render time: 2.29 min.

Doc16.png
    2000 x 2228 - 4M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • First impressions...

OUT THE BOX (the given colour map is too orange and looks more like make-up than natural skin when initially applied to the model)

INITIAL ADJUSTMENTS

1. Multiply colour map with a complmentary colour (light aqua blue) to tone down the salmon pinks
    2. Added fresnel absorption to mimic SSS. The original map was used, but due to the deep pink around the ear (probably captured SSS?), not as successful as could be and I haven't altered a copy of the map to suit either.

Cloudy frontal view

Cloudy 3/4 view

Cloudy side view

Bright frontal view

Bright 3/4 view

Bright side view

Sunny frontal view

Sunny 3/4 view

Sunny side view

NOTE:

This is not the same head as shown above...

• ..a better camera view and higher level of SSS (click for the bigger picture) ...

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Not sure if they were all from Ten24, but in the past few years, Magaremoto has posted similar models several times before.  Nice to see others joining in.  Are scans of this quality essential for making realistic human renders?

My other question is, of the files Ten24 provides for this character, what exact file or files are you guys loading into Carrara?  The .obj file?

• Hi UB,

The obj file is provided in differing resolutions, a bump map or two as a normal map and a texture map. The fun is using these as a start. I'm sure Megaremoto will have lots of tips to share...

I've entered by head in Lola's monthly challenge here. Copy below for eas of reference...

Thanks for the info, Selina!

edited July 2019

@ Vyusur: thx a lot, I forgot to write down the link: https://www.3dscanstore.com/blog/Free-3D-Head-Model

your test looks great, maybe SSS on ears is unconvincing to me, but it's undoubtedly the funniest part of human skin laugh

@ Selinita: loving your tests with carrara and lux, very inspiring; as for the tips, since I don't have a pro education in this field, I simply look at what I get with unbiased engines and try to emulate, the only thing I strive to achieve is to get  reddish reflections on the shaded part of the skin and bluiesh one on the lit side

@ UB: maybe for their hi res maps, Ten24's scans perform very well in carrara, I never got similar render quality with daz figures; I always use obj format.

here an attempt to get a fleshy skin by playing around with shininess, fresnel reflection and coat glossiness

q.jpg
    3840 x 3840 - 804K
    Post edited by magaremoto on
    edited July 2019

Today I took a picture of my ear to catch a scattering effect. Of course, my render can't compare with the real life phenomenon. But I'm glad that Carrara has this kind of feature at all.

I made some more renders for comparison.

UB, as for me, I guess, the main factor of realistic render is very high quality of texture placed over correct mesh.

ScanHead05.jpg
    1346 x 1500 - 2M
    Doc3.png
    1795 x 2000 - 3M
    Doc4.png
    1346 x 1500 - 2M
    20190710_175203.jpg
    1603 x 3161 - 3M
    Post edited by Vyusur on

Great ear picture, Vyusur!  Nice example of real-world sss. :)

Regarding sub surface scattering (sss), I remember a thread posted here not long ago on exactly that subject.  I think that most Carrara users struggle with it.  In that thread, there were suggestions of how to fake the effect, using other techniques.

I know that sss is in the shader tree, and I know how to access it.  But I've never tried using it.

UB, thank you for your kind words and for your nice comment!

• @Vyusur: Excellent skin renders! I actually prefer the first one, which I suppose is a pure Carrara render. Though the second one with the Octane plugin renders the scattering effect of the ear better.

This discussion has been closed.