Mollytabby's Art Workshop

MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

I think it's time to start a thread to encourage me to experiment a little more with Daz Studio. I retired from work due to ill health and now, for the first time in my life, I can do whatever I like in terms of artwork. Last October I downloaded Daz Studio and after months of trying to teach myself how to use it, I'm hooked. Big time.

I like using Photoshop as well, so there will aslo be postwork trial and errors along the way. smiley

Comments

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152

Welcome to the art studio. Can't wait to see what you come up with :)

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Ah yes, welcome to the addiction! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!  Don't hesitate to ask if you run into something that isn't working or you aren't sure how it should work!

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

Thank you @mor_mann and @IceDragonArt smiley

This is the outcome of my playing with morphs this morning. I've done a little dabbling with the sliders before but nothing of real substance. Generally I use the characters as they arrive on my machine. However, this morning, I was reading the threads about Aiko and saw what forum members were able to achieve, so I decided to be more creative. This is Aiko 7 for Aiko 8 using Sakura, J Cade's free Sakura eye utility and GHD StoryBook - Faces and Morphs for Sakura 8. I'd no idea what I was doing laugh. I tweaked a dial here, tweaked a dial there, and this was the outcome. I used Nik filters in postwork.

SaveSave

18-03-14-AIKOSAKURA-ELF-DAZ.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 2M
    edited March 2018

I really do need to work out how to stop posting twice!

SaveSave

SaveSave

Post edited by Mollytabby on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

She's quite lovely. yes

Thank you @Novica. She was totally a happy accident, lol.

I agree with Novica quite lovely!  If you really want to have some fun with making characters, check out the SimTenero Randomizer (which works with anything that has morphs, including dragons, hair etc.  Although I can't vouch for the outcome on some of the hair lol).  One of my all time favorite utilities ever.  Add the Skin Builder and you can build just about anything you want.  Just beware that once you pluc in the Randomizer several hours may pass unnoticed lol.

Thank you @IceDragonArt, I've added the SimTenero Randomizer to my wishlist :-) It can't be any worse than the hours I spend tweaking poses! Is the Skin Builder by SimTenero as well?

edited March 2018

No the skin builder is by Zevo, DiscoBob and Draagonstorm .  The skins have to be built in the the one for Genesis 3 but once you have them saved you can apply them to G8F with no problem.  I believe they are currently working on one for the 8 generation.

I would wait for it to go on sale for sure, but its worth every penny.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on

That looks really good @IceDragonArt smiley I've added it to my wishlist to pick up a sale because I can see me getting hooked on designing new characters. When I first started with Daz, I thought I'd simply be posing figures but it has turned into a whole new world of creativity!

I really appreciate recomendations because it's so easy to end up buying several products before getting to the one you really need. I've done that with several things up to now.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,796

Welcome to the forums Mollytabby! You are off quite the nice start with that girl.

You can avaid double posting when you open the attached render in a separate window and then go back into your post with the edit and use the image widget to add your render into the original post

Thank you @Linwelly smiley

I’ll try it that way next time. For some reason I keep messing it up,lol.

edited March 2018

Popping this here for the record. I did this for the PC Inspiration Contest using Paige and Pace and the Platingnum Club of Fat Bikes and the Dirt Bike Poses for Genesis 8 male. It took me a while to get Paige's hands and body positioning right as the pose is for GM8, but I really do like all these products. I would love it if there were more textures for the bikes. I might just have a go at editing the file in Photoshop if I get the chance. It's something I should learn how to do.

@IceDragonArt I bought the skin builder in the sale with the last of my budget for this month. I think I was meant to get it!

TrickyBikeTricksweb.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M

haha always glad to help people spend their money lol!  I think you will love it, there are so many possibilities...

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,796

you put those moves to good use. They are cool but I dont have a use for them.

• WandererWanderer Posts: 957
    edited March 2018

@Mollytabby - I'm convinced that happy accidents are among our greatest achievments all the time. But it's important to realize you have something and embrace it. Just imagine if the guy who discovered penicillin had just looked at the test dish, scratched his head, and chucked it in the bin because it wasn't what he expected. Nicely done! I heart this image. Her look is amazing.

@Thank you @mor_mann and @IceDragonArt smiley

This is the outcome of my playing with morphs this morning. I've done a little dabbling with the sliders before but nothing of real substance. Generally I use the characters as they arrive on my machine. However, this morning, I was reading the threads about Aiko and saw what forum members were able to achieve, so I decided to be more creative. This is Aiko 7 for Aiko 8 using Sakura, J Cade's free Sakura eye utility and GHD StoryBook - Faces and Morphs for Sakura 8. I'd no idea what I was doing laugh. I tweaked a dial here, tweaked a dial there, and this was the outcome. I used Nik filters in postwork.

SaveSave

Post edited by Wanderer on

@Wanderer , you are so right :-) I've been so excited about the possiblilities of tweaking characters that I've been reading more about it and looking at more morph sets. I find this hobby so engrossing, there is so much to learn and so many possibilities. I can't see myself ever getting bored of it!

edited March 2018

This is test render of P3D Riza for Aiko 8. I cleaned up a couple of stray white pixels in Photoshop, otherwise this is pure render with no postwork. She has lovely freckles and beautiful eyes.

18-03-23-Riza-web.jpg
    2000 x 2500 - 4M

That's a great image. Skin, eyes, hair, mood... simply great.

Thank you @Wanderer - I really appreciate your kind words smiley

edited March 2018

@Novica currently has a challenge to look a the first ten Genesis 3 characters in our runtime and do a render of those we haven't used yet. I plan to do this, but I got thinking about all the freebie or very low cost figures I've never used because they added in as part of buying a Genesis 8 Pro Bundle. I've never rendered with 3Delight and wouldn't know where to start and so I approached this as a learning curve for converting to Iray.

This is Victoria 6 HD with the Viking Hair for Genesis 1 & 2 and wearing the Aether Outfit. I'm not sure I've used Beautiful Skin properly, I need to experiment more, but I'm quite pleased with the result overall.

Victoria 6 HDconversionweb.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 357K

The toon render with the bikes is absolutely awesome!

And your character portraits are lovely, great lighting.

I can't imagine ever getting bored with this either.  There is so very much to learn just in the Daz Studio program, not even counting everything else that is available for 3d.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Your Victoria 6 is quite lovely! Glad you took up the challenge, looking forward to seeing other renders (overall, not from the challenge.) Love your lighting!

@IceDragonArt , the more I learn, the more I realise I haven't even scratched the surface :-) Thank you for the kind words, it really encourages me to push on and move out of my comfort zone.

@Novica , the lighting is entirely down to you! I wrote down all the settings you listed and then bought Pro-Studio HDR lights when they came up for sale. I was also recommended Tonal Rage by another forum member. I'm also playing around more with the Ghost Lights - using L'Adair's recommendations on how to set them. All this information has encouraged me to play around more with my lighting smiley

This has been making me smile all day. I had no idea it was going to be used.

Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 09.00.01.png
    1020 x 808 - 1M

Yay! I'm very happy for you. Congrats! 

This has been making me smile all day. I had no idea it was going to be used.

Thank you @Wanderer smiley

edited April 2018

I'm a little behind with posting my renders. I've posted them on other threads, but I'd like to keep an ongoing reference for myself to see how I'm developing. The next few posts are me trying to catch up.

This is Thyme, rendered as part of Novica's ten G3F challenge. 

18 03 29 Thyme head shot render.jpg
    800 x 800 - 428K
    edited April 2018

Also part of the ten G3F challenge, Frankie is number five on my list. These are pure renders and no postwork (the same as Thyme). I'm currently doing some post work on these images as I love the 60's film star look that Frankie has here.

SaveSave

18 04 01 FRANKIE FULL LENGTH SHOT.jpg
    1000 x 1333 - 416K
    18 04 03 Frankie 2 portrait mollytabby.jpg
    1000 x 1333 - 1M
    edited April 2018

This pose / image set is the result of work I did during the New User Challenge March 2018 - posing. I really wish I'd come into the challenge at the start of the month, rather than mid-way. I learnt so much and the support and advice was amazing. I hadn't realised how many ways I could get a figure into a pose I could use. The 'jumping figure' is my work, mirrored to the male figure in the scene. The female character sitting on the ground started as a pre-set pose, but I had to do a good deal of work on getting the legs, feet, arms and hands into a position I could use. Having learnt so much in the posing challenge, it took a lot less time to do it would have done previously. 

The Challenge

18 03 29 March Posing Contest Scene 5 pose.jpg
    800 x 800 - 302K
    18-03-29-March-Posing-Contest-Scene-5-web.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 2M