My phone will not charge complaint thread

Comments

• DanaTA said:
    TigerAnne said:
    starting to think i been cheated by life ...
    Mystarra said:

is this supposed to be the way it should'a been ?

Be careful doing that.  Some people have actually ruptured a disk doing this.  Or a vein.  Ballroom dancing is far safer.  And hotter!

Not to mention shaken idiot syndrome!  laugh

I doubt that is the database's fault.  It goes to the programmer(s) who wrote the code for the forum.  It's easy enough to add an index to a column in a database, then querying on that column's data is fast.  Even on large text columns, like the one that holds the body of the posts.  There a thing called Full Text Index.  At least, in a good database.  30K records is not a large database.  30 million records, yes.

DanaTA said:

Dana

Database indexes make READS faster, but they can greatly slow down updates and deletes, particularly when there are a lot of columns in the index or if there are a lot of indexes on a lot of tables that are related to each other.  That's because an update must update the data rows as well as all the related rows/columns in all of the indexes.  A delete will have the effect of deleting not only the rows in the base table, but also any matching rows in each of the indexes.  Both updates and deletes are logged so that a failure can be rolled back.  All of this can take a lot more time.

In some DBMSs, the indexes are separate from the data.  In others, the indexes reside in the same physical file(s) as the base tables.  There's a think called a "clustering index" that uses the same columns (not a copy of the columns) from the data table that they map.  A clustering index is always in the same order as the data table upon which it is based.

Well, I didn't say put an index on every column!  With just 30K records, a good database will not take that much time to update/delete a record or 100.  Not talking about Access (a dog - no insult to actual dogs).  Even with stealing the Rushmore database technology from VFP, it was still a dog.  But MS SQL Server, Oracle...good databases.  Clustered index is good for certain uses...such as an Identity column.  Such a column is good for relations and joins in stored procedures and such, not for the end user to do a search on.  the end user should never be exposed to the key,  (or should I say the key should necer be exposed to the end user?) but many programmers do just that, sadly.

Dana

Actually, Access ain't all that bad.  I knew a guy who started his own business writing Access applications for companies and replacing their unconnected spreadsheet systems with a relational database.  He said, "why not?  After all, everybody has it because it comes with Office!"  He ended up hiring a bunch of people to do contracting in that business.  At this point now, he's probably into MariaDB or MySQL or something else that doesn't require quite the infrastructure that Oracle and SQL Server do, but back then he and about a dozen others were able to feed their families with MS-Access.

Kind of like how some people today are able to feed their own families with Blender or Hexagon.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    kyoto kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    kyoto kid said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Mystarra said:

Isin the 70s it never occurred to me to appreciate it. 
    i did love the music at the time, went to every rock concert i could get tickets to
    every opera at Lincon Center i could get tickets. saw la boheme like 8 times. never been to the met tho. 
    the 3 tenors.  a lot different from a rock concert, but just as energetic

missing those years fiercely now.  the music, the platform shoes, variety shows, donny n marie, sonny n cher
    match game, beat the clock, saturday morning cartoons, the base line from barney miller
    tho i do love my 2019 phone.

where are the hover cars

crying i cant renenber how to do the hustle.

...saw a gal enter the pub I was at in platform shoes with decidedly 70s clothing.  Sadly the place didn't have a lit dance floor. 

Yeah ,really old school here.

As to concerts , saw the Moody Blues (backed by a symphony orchestra), Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer and JC Superstar (original cast) onstage in New York at the Mark Hellinger Theatre.. 

Yeah, the '70s.  What I remember of them was worth remembering.  Working at the Kennedy Space Center, seeing the last of the Saturn 5's launch carrying the 1st space station "Skylab".  My little apartment on the Florida east coast beach, surfing, my first motorcycles, bicycle riding miles to the gym several times a week.  I did get to see the Moody Blues in Orlando and I think Quicksliver there too.  Several trips to early early Walt Disney World when it was just "The Magic Kingdom".  Finally realizing I was gay.  Several trips to the gay nightlife in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and Key West.  The now defunct "Marlin Beach" gay resort in Ft. Lauderdale with the basement drinks bar that had a window into the swimming pool.yes  The basement dark room activities at the wild leather bar "Mother's" in Miami,blush  The faux hurricane party with faux lightning, thunder, and rain at a bar in Key West.  and I remember automobiles, BIG automobiles, "land boats" we'd call them now.  How anybody ever parked those things without shoehorns I don't remember.  When you went on vacation you could pack luggage for four, and your horse in the trunk.surprise

..wasn't the bar at Marlin Beach where they filmed a scene for the adaptation of the Right Stuff?

Yeah remember driving a big 1970 Buick LeSabre in Driver Ed.  Had no trouble parallel parking that battleship.  I have to laugh today when someone with a Toyota or Subaru gives up on parallel parking in a space I could easily put the big ol' Buick into.

Same for me with my 1969 Chrysler Newport!  I could fit that thing into tight spaces.  Even back then folks were surprised.  I've seen spaces that I could've fit that thing into that are taken up by a Prius!  It's amazing.

Dana

...it's even worse when someone parks a Smart Car with 6 feet in of space front and 6 feet of space behind (and then they are between 12" - 14" away from the curb at a slight angle).  I've actually seen that. 

When I watch how some people try to parallel park I don't know they ever got their licences. It's a very simple routine, but I guess it's become a lost art like the technique of medieval stained glass.  They never line up correctly, often cut too tight of a turn when backing in, and I've even seen some actually try to do it entering the space by driving in front first.

All I can say is I from what I see on the streets every day, I hope they never, ever perfect the flying car, or I'm going to have to move to some secluded island in the South Pacific.

Had a friend who drove a big old 4 door early 70s Dodge Polara when I lived in New Orleans. it was amazing to ride with him, bombing down those extremely narrow side streets in that behemoth. Never once sideswiped a parked car and he could park it like a pro in some of the tightest spots as well.

...now that's a ride.

Is adorns.  

Meant adorbs

• i was going say... you can't wear a car...

or can you?.....

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,104

I think the grass shader I used is for 3Delight and will not work with iray?  I am doing a test render to see if I am right or wrong.

• i'm indecisive about lunch... i didn't even breakfast but i'm not super hungry... life is rough

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

Electrician charged $500 to replace a few outlets.  I don't think he worked on the circuit breaker.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

On the parallel parking .......anyone elsse ever try to park a Pacer?

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    edited August 2019

Caturday attack!

Post edited by TJohn on
  • WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,904

Buzz off, fruit-flies! These strawberries are MINE!

• i was going say... you can't wear a car...

or can you?.....

If you're not, then you aren't thinking about style.  But that's okay, because style is just another way to spend money.  Oh, and these days, the kids are calling it their "branding".   My car is really getting old.  And it has been silver for over a decade and a half.

i'm indecisive about lunch... i didn't even breakfast but i'm not super hungry... life is rough

I declare today as Chicago Hot Dog Day.  Gonna go get mine in an hour or so.  :)

carrie58 said:

Those old AMC "bubblecars"?  Do we still have those?

Related:  I saw a yellow school bus the other night with only the cab enclosed.  The back 3/4ths had the roof cut away more than halfway down the sides.  It looked like a big giant yellow pickup truck!  I tried to catch it so I could take a pic.  It required a lot of swerving and at least one u-turn, and the damned thing still got away!

Tjohn said:

Caturday attack!

OMG, that's frightening.  If I was that doggie, I'd be plotting kitty's demise.  One day, while sleeping in the warm morning sunlight, barkie-barkie-bite-bite-shakety-shake.  Doggy would be taking an extraordinary risk, yes; because cats can and do kill dogs.  But if successful, then kitty would never leave the basement.  Not even for food, because there's always bugs and dust-bunnies in the basement.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,635

It's a long way off but definitely not liking the looks of TD5: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/05L_gefs_latest.png

complaint  was doing a nice noon snoozer in the lawn chair,

i forgot to turn off my siri alarms for my work day.  how to explain weekends to siri?

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

There seems to be alot of those "big giant yellow  pick up trucks" here in North Carolina I've seen them used to haul produce from the fields

and yup AMC Pacer  aka the rolling fish bowl . I had to take my driver's ed test in one .........couldn't for the life of me parallel park the thing ,the instructor passed me anyway cause he had a Pacer and said they were impossible to parallel park ....

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited August 2019
    kyoto kid said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Mystarra said:

in the 70s it never occurred to me to appreciate it. 
    i did love the music at the time, went to every rock concert i could get tickets to
    every opera at Lincon Center i could get tickets. saw la boheme like 8 times. never been to the met tho. 
    the 3 tenors.  a lot different from a rock concert, but just as energetic

missing those years fiercely now.  the music, the platform shoes, variety shows, donny n marie, sonny n cher
    match game, beat the clock, saturday morning cartoons, the base line from barney miller
    tho i do love my 2019 phone.

where are the hover cars

crying i cant renenber how to do the hustle.

...saw a gal enter the pub I was at in platform shoes with decidedly 70s clothing.  Sadly the place didn't have a lit dance floor. 

Yeah ,really old school here.

As to concerts , saw the Moody Blues (backed by a symphony orchestra), Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer and JC Superstar (original cast) onstage in New York at the Mark Hellinger Theatre.. 

Yeah, the '70s.  What I remember of them was worth remembering.  Working at the Kennedy Space Center, seeing the last of the Saturn 5's launch carrying the 1st space station "Skylab".  My little apartment on the Florida east coast beach, surfing, my first motorcycles, bicycle riding miles to the gym several times a week.  I did get to see the Moody Blues in Orlando and I think Quicksliver there too.  Several trips to early early Walt Disney World when it was just "The Magic Kingdom".  Finally realizing I was gay.  Several trips to the gay nightlife in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and Key West.  The now defunct "Marlin Beach" gay resort in Ft. Lauderdale with the basement drinks bar that had a window into the swimming pool.yes  The basement dark room activities at the wild leather bar "Mother's" in Miami,blush  The faux hurricane party with faux lightning, thunder, and rain at a bar in Key West.  and I remember automobiles, BIG automobiles, "land boats" we'd call them now.  How anybody ever parked those things without shoehorns I don't remember.  When you went on vacation you could pack luggage for four, and your horse in the trunk.surprise

..wasn't the bar at Marlin Beach where they filmed a scene for the adaptation of the Right Stuff?

I don't know about the movie thing, but here's an article about the Marlin Beach Hotel http://www.somanymen.com/MarlinBeachHotel/  And some pictures https://www.google.com/search?q=marlin+beach+hotel+fort+lauderdale&tbm=isch&source=hp&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjp86uwupvkAhWkzlkKHUloCUkQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1920&bih=877#spf=1566648089465

As for the big car dilemma...  In the '90s, when I lived in Reston, VA (20mi NW of Wash.,DC) I lived in a condominium complex that had been built in the late '60s  By the '90s, cars were getting smaller again and they fit quite comfortably in the parking spots, but for a year or so in '93 we had a 1966 Lincoln Continental (about as big as cars got) and when we parked it, it stuck out like a sore thumb. (picture queen bee among regular bees) I tried to imagine the whole parking lot full of those sized cars.  Oy! surprise

..ahh going through the images, I think it it was the Wreck Bar at the Ft. Lauderdale Sheraton, as it has a window to a swimming pool where women dressed as mermaids perform (as wes also seen in the film).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    DanaTA said:
    TigerAnne said:
    starting to think i been cheated by life ...
    Mystarra said:

is this supposed to be the way it should'a been ?

Be careful doing that.  Some people have actually ruptured a disk doing this.  Or a vein.  Ballroom dancing is far safer.  And hotter!

Not to mention shaken idiot syndrome!  laugh

I doubt that is the database's fault.  It goes to the programmer(s) who wrote the code for the forum.  It's easy enough to add an index to a column in a database, then querying on that column's data is fast.  Even on large text columns, like the one that holds the body of the posts.  There a thing called Full Text Index.  At least, in a good database.  30K records is not a large database.  30 million records, yes.

DanaTA said:

Dana

Database indexes make READS faster, but they can greatly slow down updates and deletes, particularly when there are a lot of columns in the index or if there are a lot of indexes on a lot of tables that are related to each other.  That's because an update must update the data rows as well as all the related rows/columns in all of the indexes.  A delete will have the effect of deleting not only the rows in the base table, but also any matching rows in each of the indexes.  Both updates and deletes are logged so that a failure can be rolled back.  All of this can take a lot more time.

In some DBMSs, the indexes are separate from the data.  In others, the indexes reside in the same physical file(s) as the base tables.  There's a think called a "clustering index" that uses the same columns (not a copy of the columns) from the data table that they map.  A clustering index is always in the same order as the data table upon which it is based.

Well, I didn't say put an index on every column!  With just 30K records, a good database will not take that much time to update/delete a record or 100.  Not talking about Access (a dog - no insult to actual dogs).  Even with stealing the Rushmore database technology from VFP, it was still a dog.  But MS SQL Server, Oracle...good databases.  Clustered index is good for certain uses...such as an Identity column.  Such a column is good for relations and joins in stored procedures and such, not for the end user to do a search on.  the end user should never be exposed to the key,  (or should I say the key should necer be exposed to the end user?) but many programmers do just that, sadly.

Dana

Actually, Access ain't all that bad.  I knew a guy who started his own business writing Access applications for companies and replacing their unconnected spreadsheet systems with a relational database.  He said, "why not?  After all, everybody has it because it comes with Office!"  He ended up hiring a bunch of people to do contracting in that business.  At this point now, he's probably into MariaDB or MySQL or something else that doesn't require quite the infrastructure that Oracle and SQL Server do, but back then he and about a dozen others were able to feed their families with MS-Access.

Kind of like how some people today are able to feed their own families with Blender or Hexagon.

..used to work with Access at my old company creating/updating inventory management databases. 

i was going say... you can't wear a car...

or can you?.....

...formula 1 race drivers pretty much do because the cockpit is sized to them.

The Messerschmitt KR 200 almost felt like you were wearing the car.

edited August 2019
    carrie58 said:

...ah nicknamed the "flying fishbowl", but more famously known as the "Mirth Mobile"

The Pacer was intended to be powered by a rotary engine licenced from Curtiss Wright (which in turn was a licensee of NSU-Wankel) but the powerplant proved not to have the economy desired (the Pacer was being developed during the height of fuel crisis of the early 1970s) and produced higher emissions levels of NOx than regulations allowed, so a standard AMC inline-6 was used instead.

Tjohn said:

Caturday attack!

....hehhehheh.

I've had cats bigger than the dog.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,872

or can you?.....

You can wear it out.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,440
    edited August 2019
    Taoz said:

or can you?.....

You can wear it out.

Which was the problem, you'd get all dressed up and without fuel there'd be no place to go.devil

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    kyoto kid said:

or can you?.....

tee hee heee

herbie the love bug in love, like pepe le pew

s.k. christine car

another 70s thing trying to terrorize the 70s.  jaws. da da dadada

at the time i was unaware of the vietnam thing going on.
    my dad did his service before the war.  judge told him it was the marines or jail.
    i remember him having a hard time finding a job.  ak47 on the resume wasn't a job skill.
    he ended up getting a job at riker's island.
    which i thought was hilarious.
    he pointed out at jail and in jail are different things.  had to agree

edited August 2019

love the music, scared by the movie.

Grace Slick was more the 60s than 70s?

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited August 2019
    Mystarra said:
    kyoto kid said:

or can you?.....

tee hee heee

herbie the love bug in love, like pepe le pew

...like the Pacer, the BMW KR200 also appeared on the silver screen in the film Brazil. as the main character Sam Lowry's personal vehicle.

edited August 2019

Inspector Clouseau had a fancy car in pink panther movie.  the Silver Hornet?

the car didn't start.  lol

oh it did start

Post edited by Mistara on

she did ibm cards.  wonder if she talking bout key punching.  i did keypunching in highschool years. was my 1st job

readying snax ready to watch a dvd

lemony snickers itts

cute baby with a power bite

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,321

The white one is my daily driver. When I go to downtown, I park at the mall and take a cab the rest of the way.
    I almost bought the green one, I could park it anywhere and no one would argue.
    Really, it was an attractive deal. I could have rented it out for proms and weddings.

the hearse.jpg
    900 x 675 - 96K
    OT-64 SKOT.jpg
    900 x 600 - 145K
    Mystarra said:

Inspector Clouseau had a fancy car in pink panther movie.  the Silver Hornet?

the car didn't start.  lol

oh it did start

...heh forgot that one.  A Citroen 2CV with fins.

edited August 2019
    Petercat said:

The white one is my daily driver. When I go to downtown, I park at the mall and take a cab the rest of the way.
    I almost bought the green one, I could park it anywhere and no one would argue.
    Really, it was an attractive deal. I could have rented it out for proms and weddings.

...yeah, but fuel economy of that OT Skot 64 APC must be horrendous even compared to the Cadillac hearse.

...and Czech/Polish built, could be difficult getting parts. 

However, for the Zombie Apocalypse, the OT 64 would have it hands down over the Caddie.

This discussion has been closed.