My phone will not charge complaint thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930

....exactly why I have a hefty firewall, I keep security and malware utilities updated, as well as am careful when on the Net. Not terribly concerned about next January.

• McGyver said:

I just got back from Florida the other day, found the house messed up from a storm last week and tonight in front of my house I was treated to this...

A young woman texting and driving crashed into the neighbor’s parked car... She's okay... the cars not so much.

This isn’t uncommon on this street.

A bunch of my neighbors and I were out one night when some kid, texting while riding his bike, rear ended a car.  Oh, that would have been so funny if it weren't so sad.

McGyver said:

I just got back from Florida the other day, found the house messed up from a storm last week and tonight in front of my house I was treated to this...

A young woman texting and driving crashed into the neighbor’s parked car... She's okay... the cars not so much.

This isn’t uncommon on this street.

I beg to differ.  Anyone who texts and drives is NOT OK. angry 

Jail.  Do not pass "Go" and do not collect $200.

why am i not getting notifications when stuff happens in here? how am i supposed to charm everyone with my wit if i don't get notifications? its like walking into a fastfood place and going up to the counter and the person who should be greeting you and taking your order just stares at you. and you wait. and wait. and wait. and wait... 

odd occurrance: i usually have at least one render going overnight. but last night... nothing. was this a conscious decision? or did i just run out of ideas? did i forget? am i losing my mind?

i don't even remember what i was working on...

but at least i can ignore today's sale...

Not to worry, your wit and charm precede and postcede you.  There's a halo effect after you go and before you arrive.  angel

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,172

The only thing that happened with the last update for me was Edge went wonky.  It takes forever to load some pages, now, and other things don't seem to work right.  For example, on the DAZ site, the main Forums page is all grey with just the menu, all scrunched up on the right side.  Good thing I have my Bookmarks with this and other threads that I follow.  I can still get to that page.  Some things I just gave up on and use Chrome for those.  I suppose maybe this will be remedied when they release the new Chrome-based engine version of Edge soon.

Dana

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,440
    edited August 2019
    kyoto kid said:

"Early", not prehistoric. indecision  "My" Moodys started with "Days Of Future Passed", which I think is their masterpiece that starts the cycle of eight albums up through "Octave" after which they start to lose me, but there are still a few good songs in the many albums that came later.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • DanaTA said:

The only thing that happened with the last update for me was Edge went wonky.  It takes forever to load some pages, now, and other things don't seem to work right.  For example, on the DAZ site, the main Forums page is all grey with just the menu, all scrunched up on the right side.  Good thing I have my Bookmarks with this and other threads that I follow.  I can still get to that page.  Some things I just gave up on and use Chrome for those.  I suppose maybe this will be remedied when they release the new Chrome-based engine version of Edge soon.

Dana

Edge often breaks after a major upgrade of Windows 10.  It could be months before it gets fixed.  I recommend sticking with Firefox or Chrome.

kyoto kid said:

"Early", not prehistoric. indecision  "My" Moodys started with "Days Of Future Passed", which I think is their masterpiece that starts the cycle of eight albums up through "Octave" after which they start to lose me, but there are still a few good songs in the many albums that came later.

I saw Moody Blues once at Pine Knob in Michigan.  Does that place still exist?  Was a nice show, but the drummer had, shall we say, a "varying metre" throughout the show.  It was distracting.

This is the first time Edge has had a problem for me.  Someone suggested that the newest Windows update did something that affects certain video drivers.  But this seems to be something other than that.  For instance, the bookmarks menu in the DAZ forums takes a long time to come up after clicking on the gears icon.  Sometimes I think the click didn't take, so I click it again.  Then the menu pops up and goes right away!  frown  That's annoying!

Dana

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    edited August 2019
    kyoto kid said:

...they still sounded good for the day.  That was their first hit single here in the States.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,874

Rotoscoping is just miserable work.

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,904

Okay, so a bit of a more serious question from me: Has any of you ever had your first name legally changed? As of right now, my "real" name isn't Anne, but that name has stuck with me in my head since I was a toddler. It's not so much that I hate my real name, it just doesn't feel like me. It's a name that several other people in my family have had, including my cousin (as a middle name). There's a specific emytology to it that just doesn't fit, a fact I think I remember my mother pointing out once, when she was disappointed in me. 

My friend Dani changed her name for the exact same reason, as soon as she became an adult. (Her orginal name was really pretty, it just wasn't her.) An aquaintance from another forum changed her name from "the result of her Mum watching too many soap-operas" to Ruth, after someone accidentally called her that and she realised how much she would love for it to be her name. In both cases, it seems like their family and friends accepted their new name. My real-life social circle is... well, really conservative, and name changes are seen as a bit unnecessary. "Everyone" in my family hates the name they were given, but "it's how they've always been known," and how people would still think of them even if official papers said otherwise. I do have a "pretty" middlename, but it's just so many syllables. frown

• chaynawolfsmoonchaynawolfsmoon Posts: 675
    edited August 2019
    TigerAnne said:

Okay, so a bit of a more serious question from me: Has any of you ever had your first name legally changed? As of right now, my "real" name isn't Anne, but that name has stuck with me in my head since I was a toddler. It's not so much that I hate my real name, it just doesn't feel like me. It's a name that several other people in my family have had, including my cousin (as a middle name). There's a specific emytology to it that just doesn't fit, a fact I think I remember my mother pointing out once, when she was disappointed in me. 

My friend Dani changed her name for the exact same reason, as soon as she became an adult. (Her orginal name was really pretty, it just wasn't her.) An aquaintance from another forum changed her name from "the result of her Mum watching too many soap-operas" to Ruth, after someone accidentally called her that and she realised how much she would love for it to be her name. In both cases, it seems like their family and friends accepted their new name. My real-life social circle is... well, really conservative, and name changes are seen as a bit unnecessary. "Everyone" in my family hates the name they were given, but "it's how they've always been known," and how people would still think of them even if official papers said otherwise. I do have a "pretty" middlename, but it's just so many syllables. frown

I've not had mine changed but it is supposedly fairly simple as long as you aren't trying to evade something.

I understand the aquired name thing. My real name is Gina but I've been playing online games since i was around 8 and many of those characters have been named Chayna so much so that it has bled over into reallife (possibly because I still use an email account with it). I have no plans to change my name to Chayna but it has been my name to many for over 2/3rds of my life and I've accidentally signed checks with that name.

PS: Of course I have other nicknames that people confuse for my real name or other online psuedonyms that pop up from time to time reminding me that I had some silly tastes in names.

Post edited by chaynawolfsmoon on
  • what's up with all the centaur stuff? kinky

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    TigerAnne said:

I've not had mine changed but it is supposedly fairly simple as long as you aren't trying to evade something.

I understand the aquired name thing. My real name is Gina but I've been playing online games since i was around 8 and many of those characters have been named Chayna so much so that it has bled over into reallife (possibly because I still use an email account with it). I have no plans to change my name to Chayna but it has been my name to many for over 2/3rds of my life and I've accidentally signed checks with that name.

PS: Of course I have other nicknames that people confuse for my real name or other online psuedonyms that pop up from time to time reminding me that I had some silly tastes in names.

I had a friend who was christened Gay, which could be quite embarrassing.   Her middle name was Eugenie as she was half Italian,  so she became known as Gina,   didn't have to change her initial that way and everyone accepted what she had done.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited August 2019
    TigerAnne said:

I’ve had my last name changed several times... technically three times... But I was a kid then and that’s a long story, but it screwed up soooo many things as I got older. 

My first name has never changed but people constantly change it for me... it’s Victor, but if someone asks me my name it usually becomes Hector, Vincent or Nick... not “Nick” because I said “Vic”, I’ll say Victor and the person will say “okay Nick, I’ll get that package for you in a minute...” At this point I’ve given up giving my full name and just shorten it to “Vic” because I’m sick of Hector and Vincent, and they’ll probably turn it into Nick anyway... 

My favorite is when I say “Vic” and they turn it into Frank or Tom... I went to get new tires a while ago and I was the only person there and the guy who took my info apparently had an attention problem... some other guy came along to ask me a question, looked at the clipboard with my name and said “Frank?”... since I was the only person there it was obvious who he was looking for but come on WTF, Frank and Vic sound nothing alike and it wasn’t noisy in the place... Restaurants are the same, they’ll ask for a name and I’ll say Vic and they’ll say Dave and I’ll say “sure, why not...” 

My old username “Lord Vicore” was from a similar screwup.

And just to clarify, I don’t have a strange accent, forked tongue, lip or tongue piercings, tusks, or huge buck teeth that might interfere with pronunciation.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2019
    McGyver said:
    TigerAnne said:

I’ve had my last name changed several times... technically three times... But I was a kid then and that’s a long story, but it screwed up soooo many things as I got older. 

My first name has never changed but people constantly change it for me... it’s Victor, but if someone asks me my name it usually becomes Hector, Vincent or Nick... not “Nick” because I said “Vic”, I’ll say Victor and the person will say “okay Nick, I’ll get that package for you in a minute...” At this point I’ve given up giving my full name and just shorten it to “Vic” because I’m sick of Hector and Vincent, and they’ll probably turn it into Nick anyway... 

My favorite is when I say “Vic” and they turn it into Frank or Tom... I went to get new tires a while ago and I was the only person there and the guy who took my info apparently had an attention problem... some other guy came along to ask me a question, looked at the clipboard with my name and said “Frank?”... since I was the only person there it was obvious who he was looking for but come on WTF, Frank and Vic sound nothing alike and it wasn’t noisy in the place... Restaurants are the same, they’ll ask for a name and I’ll say Vic and they’ll say Dave and I’ll say “sure, why not...” 

And just to clarify, I don’t have a strange accent, forked tongue, lip or tongue piercings, tusks, or huge buck teeth that might interfere with pronunciation.

That's a fun story you got there, Bert Bruce

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    edited August 2019

Just say "Hi, my name is Rumplestiltskin.  I'm here to collect your firstborn." and see what happens.devil  No..., on second thought you probably shouldn't.indecision

edited August 2019

Complaint:  Why are modern keyboards so flimsy?frown   This is the second identical HP keyboard that has worn the "N" decal off of the "N" keycap, and developed a depression on the "Space bar".  I miss the old keyboards that had mechanical movements and went "click" when you depressed them and had molded two color plastic keycaps that would never wear through the letter, and could substitute for cricket bats.  I regret that I've actually discarded plenty of those old keyboards in my foolish youth. sad

It's not that I don't know where the "N" key is.  After all, it hasn't moved but I'm a neatnic and things out of place or unbalanced tug at my reality.indecision

Non-complaint:  It's 8:30 in the morning and I'm listening to the Buffalo classical radio station over the internet (WNED https://tunein.com/radio/WNED-FM-945-s21414/) playing Beethoven Symphony #7.  Enough said!heart  (head 'splode; the guy was completely deaf at this pointsurprise)

Beethoven: Symphony #7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4788Tmz9Zo

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Good time not to be in florida

edited August 2019
    McGyver said:

[no one gets his name right, ever]

Or say your name is McGyver. Everyone knows that McGyvers don't have first names. Just like people named Morse.

Post edited by WinterMoon on
    McGyver said:
    TigerAnne said:

well, Lord Voldermort wouldnt work cause no one could say it out loud.

expecto patronum

TigerAnne said:
    McGyver said:

[no one gets his name right, ever]

Or say your name is McGyver. Everyone knows that McGyvers don't have first names. Just like people named Morse.

Morse.  my hero! yes

still wijing about the calendar page thief  - i have a calendar pinned to my lil bulletin board at work.  i went to turn the page to Sept.

some friggin a hole ripped August out of my calendar.  August aint technically over yet.  I didn't even get to see the picture for September.   what kind of a hole does such a thing.

a cockpit calendar, kewl pictures

i should scan the other months before disappears.

edited August 2019

Morse.  my hero! yes

So as a Morse fan, how do you feel about the Lewis spin-off? cool

For some reason, Chrome has activated auto-translate. Instead of "Like" and "Unlike," the buttons now say "As" and "As Opposed To," in Norwegian.

Post edited by WinterMoon on

Remember morris. ? The finnicky ginger cat

• Complaint:  Why are modern keyboards so flimsy?frown   This is the second identical HP keyboard that has worn the "N" decal off of the "N" keycap, and developed a depression on the "Space bar".  I miss the old keyboards that had mechanical movements and went "click" when you depressed them and had molded two color plastic keycaps that would never wear through the letter, and could substitute for cricket bats.  I regret that I've actually discarded plenty of those old keyboards in my foolish youth. sad

It's not that I don't know where the "N" key is.  After all, it hasn't moved but I'm a neatnic and things out of place or unbalanced tug at my reality.indecision

What are you doing to wear the N key out? I still have one of those sturdy keyboards (1999 vintage, I think) and the E key is looking slightly faded, so I don't think the colour went quite all the way through.

Non-complaint:  It's 8:30 in the morning and I'm listening to the Buffalo classical radio station over the internet (WNED https://tunein.com/radio/WNED-FM-945-s21414/) playing Beethoven Symphony #7.  Enough said!heart  (head 'splode; the guy was completely deaf at this pointsurprise)

Beethoven: Symphony #7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4788Tmz9Zo

Complaint:  Why are modern keyboards so flimsy?frown   This is the second identical HP keyboard that has worn the "N" decal off of the "N" keycap, and developed a depression on the "Space bar".  I miss the old keyboards that had mechanical movements and went "click" when you depressed them and had molded two color plastic keycaps that would never wear through the letter, and could substitute for cricket bats.  I regret that I've actually discarded plenty of those old keyboards in my foolish youth. sad

What are you doing to wear the N key out? I still have one of those sturdy keyboards (1999 vintage, I think) and the E key is looking slightly faded, so I don't think the colour went quite all the way through.

I don't know, never figured it out.  It's been bugging me too. frown It's not like I never announce numerous nice or nasty non-essential nit-picking nonsense to nobody in particular that requires numerous knocks of the "N" key.  Totally non-plussed.indecision

edited August 2019
    TigerAnne said:

Morse.  my hero! yes

So as a Morse fan, how do you feel about the Lewis spin-off? cool

It's been several years since I watched the "Lewis" series but he seemed to have picked up a few good skills, habits and interests from Morse.yes  But nobody could replace Morse.

edited August 2019

Been thinking about my "N" problem.  I think that it may have to do with my fingernail on my right index finger.  I keep them short but that fingernail seems to hit exactly vertically right onto the decal.  After a hundred thousand taps, poof, decal gone. Possible?

Edited to add:  Ah, more clues.  Upon close magnified examination, I notice short parallel scratches across the decal area.  Fingernail dents?

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited August 2019

Complaint and non-complaint, but mostly complaint... 

Yellowjackets... Before I went away for ten days we didn’t have a wasp problem... I come back and there is a wasp superhighway streaming out from the base of the siding outside the downstairs bathroom window, just above the basement window... literally the day before we went away I was checking the window to make sure it was locked and there was nothing... ten days later and there are probably hundreds of the colorful little demons living somewhere in the wall... 

The non complaint is nobody besides me is willing to use that bathroom because occasionally a wasp or two finds their way into the room via the window moldings... which I should probably seal, but I hadn’t noticed the gaps at the top... a few years back I hired someone to replace a couple of windows because I didn’t have the time. I hate it when someone can’t do the simplest job I could do with my friggin eyes closed and they act like it’s brain surgery or some mystic art... but whatever, didn’t notice the gap, and now the dumber wasps get lost and end up in the bathroom.

So until I kill the nest, the bathroom is all mine... 

Otherwise the rest is all wasp related complaint... I hate them... Yellowjackets are nasty little creatures that seem to sting just for the hell of it... we get them in the walls occasionally because the house is over a hundred years old and under the siding is old fashioned concrete based stucco... that’s how they used to reinforce houses against hurricane and nor’easter damage back then... the problem is that the concrete layer is the ideal attractant to these wasps as it’s cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

The last two times I had a big nest in the wall, I just tore a hole in the wall and sucked them out with a shop-vac... one of the nests spanned several stud gaps and was about two and a half feet high, four inches thick (true two by four studs) and around six feet long... that was a glorious battle, with many stings, but I vanquished my foes to the last and watched as their corpses burned...

Seriously... if you don’t remove the remains of nest, the hundreds of larvae could either hatch or just die and decompose, which smells like rotting shrimp... I don’t like using insecticides and fire is cheaper... it’s not environmentally friendly, but more so than the chemicals... and no I didn’t set fire to the wall... my wife wouldn’t allow that, so I removed the nest remains and burned it in my “Burnin’ Stuff Trash can”...

So now I can’t rip a hole in the wall, because it’s tiled and I’m not getting involved in a tiling job (I’m actually remodeling the upstairs bathroom at the moment)... I can’t easily access the nest from the outside because I’d have to remove the vinyl siding on top of the concrete... and the concrete is pretty much bulletproof (I’m not going to explain why I know that) and wears out diamond masonry saws to the point where it takes at least two blades to cut a small opening (it’s because of the reinforcing steel masonry “cloth” embedded in the concrete)...

My natural inclination to pyrotechnics is telling me to buy a couple of diamond holes saws, cut a hole in the outside and stuff the nest with M-80s (very powerful fireworks) and when my wife sees the hole in the house, I’ll tell her I was wrong, they were actually Brazilian Exploding Wasps and the inevitable occurred...

But I’ll have to probably find some other way to deal with them as she is getting suspicious that so many creatures naturally explode or carry explosives on them... in my defense, if she doesn’t want to watch nature programs, read National Geographic magazine or nature related articles, I’m exploiting that.

Well... I’ll have more complaints later... 

Post edited by McGyver on

I have a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000.  Sturdy, but the letters do wear off.  It doesn't matter to me because I'm a touch typist.  But it drives my sister crazy when she tries to use it.  She's a hunt and peck typist.  It seems that the letters we use most are on the left hand side.  But the N and M are pretty worn, too.  The "home" row on the left side is almost all vanished, except the A.  The C, V and B are gone,  The T is gone and the R is a little worn, but still recognizable.  There's a shiny spot on the spacebar where my right thumb taps it.

Dana

edited August 2019
    Mystarra said:

Good time not to be in florida

I used to live with relatives in the Central east coast area of Florida, right where this storm is heading (at the moment) I was there in 2004 when we had four (count'em 4: Charlie, Frances, Ivan, & Jeanne) hurricanes pass through or near that area.  I stayed in the house while everybody else fled.  I remember waking up to an inch of water on the floor of my bedroom in the basement and the thud of a small tree falling on the livingroom upstairs.  There was (and still is) an absolutely HUGE Live-oak tree with a branch the size of a mature Maple tree hanging horizontally over the full length of the large ranch style house (see example of big live-oak tree below).  Every time there's a hurricane I check with the relatives to see if that branch has fallen yet.  It was a large property and that year we lost 9 palm trees as well as the small live oak that fell on the livingroom, due to the storms.

AngelOakLiveOak.jpg
    640 x 425 - 339K
This discussion has been closed.