wuh oh, andromeda back in the milky way, harper visiting earth

thenebula avatars beingstubborn, haz a bad feeling for  earth woes

meanwhile, hoping rhade takes his shirt off, or even a glute close up

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited November 2019
    DanaTA said:
    kyoto kid said:
    DanaTA said:

...watch where you go, don't click on links in emails from unknown sources, have and maintain a strong firewall, as well as have good up to date anti malware utilities, and there should not be an issue. 

Not going to deal with feature bloat I don't need or want every 6 months, a pointless and annoying digital assistant I cannot permanently rid myself of without crippling the search routine, a process that reserves a noticeable part of my GPU's VRAM, and updates forced down my system's throat with bugs that can create instabilities or worse. 

I've had a smooth running system for years (save for downloading from here recently), not about to mess that all up and give MS carte blanche to do as they please.  Don't have the funds or minimum number of nodes required for the LSTC version of Enterprise (which is more like it should be) or I would go that route.

Why are you holding back?  Tell us how you REALLY feel!  wink

Non-complaint:  Wheee... one of my long standing remaining computer repair customers just called up saying he got infected with a virus!  Wheee, money just when I needed it.devil  Not good for him of course but he gets a good deal with me.  But since I don't have a car anymore, he has to bring his tower to me, which means he has to unhook it and when I'm done he has to re-attach all the cables in the right holes.  I anticipate a long phone call for that one.frown  But better him under his desk than me.

His problem appears to be one of those screaming meemie type of malwares that warn: This machine is locked down. Do not turn off the machine.  Microsoft has detected <bad stuff> in your computer.  Call <number> to get help...  Typical scareware.   

Thankfully I always set my customers up so that their normal login is a standard user account without high level privileges so the damage done is hopefully minimal and relatively easily backed out.  While talking to my customer tonight he sheepishly admitted that he did call the number but then sort of proudly told me "but his voice was like one of those scam videos on YouTube so I hung up immediately." laugh 

These scamming guys would get farther with their scam if they could just get rid of their accent!indecision  

If he really is "only" using the standard account, then why is his computer infected with ransomware?  Something in this story smells like a rotten fish in Denmark.  Investigate, and leave no stone unturned.  And that phone call is going to be super-double-extra long.  I mean, really...here's a guy who got himself infected with a standard account.  That SHOULD be impossible.

Oh and before I forget...welcome back to full time employment.  'Cause this customer of yours has figured out how to get you back into the workforce.  With nothing but... (wait for it)... a standard account! 

Either he's a powerful, pure evil genius or he's the exact opposite of genius (but no less powerful).  I'll let you decide!  cheeky

There is never a perfect protection. 

Not perfect, but you can avoid 95 to 99% of all infections by using only a Standard account for daily computing.

Do I do that?  No, of course not.  But I do take backups.  Some partitions get backed up 3 times each day.  And my backup choice has protections against ransomware.

DanaTA said:

I think I've read that there are some new attacks that don't go the route that anti-virus can even see coming.  There are things that require the patches that Microsoft puts out to be installed, in order to be safe from them.  Let's face it, anti-virus software has been around for many years.  The very intelligent, but evil, persons doing these things have started to figure out ways around that software.  Plus, the software needs to be updated when they detect a new threat.  but that means the threat is out there, doing its job, before the update is created.  And these updates are not all done at the same moment.  Some companies are slower to create a fix, and it depends on the threat...different anti-virus anti-malware softwares are the first.  They all catch up, but you can never tell which one will be first.  Honestly, an image can be hosting somethign these days.  How many images do we see on a daily basis, on every site on the net?

This would be irrelevant with the use of a Standard account.  The antivirus wouldn't even enter into the picture if the OS would simply refuse to install those malware-infected cat emoticons.

DanaTA said:

This is why I posted about that patch for Windows 7.  It was not my intent to say you should upgrade to Windows 10, KK, but that if you don't at least apply the patch, you're looking for trouble, and it will find you.  Eventually, though, they will stop putting out patches for Windows 7.  At that time, the only safe Windows 7 computer will be one that is disconnected from the Internet.

Dana

I'll say it.  Everybody should upgrade to Windows 10.  KK will do whatever he wants of course, and that's his right.  But I still said it.  Everybody should upgrade.  Or protect yourself with backups and a contingency plan and head into the future with the full expectation that one day your apps may stop working, or may stop working reliably well.

Then there's the Linux thing, which refuses to die.  I'll just say that we all can waste time waiting for another decade for DAZ Studio to still not get ported to Linux or we can take advantage of Windows 10's ability now to use the last 5+ years' worth of hardware advances and protections. 

Of course, if your machine is older than 5 years, you can ignore this.  You're not a part of the target demographic.  cheeky

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...I have a Standard Account as well as disabled Remote Desktop as I don't really need it.

• Cooked salmon pinwheels (the kind with the crabmeat mixed inside) under the broiler.  OMG, delicious.  15 minutes and wow.  Had a little accident and dropped one on the floor, but I still had two left.  So I ate one (without veggies 'cause those were on the floor too) and it all got a little better.

And I think running the broiler for 15 minutes (plus preheat time) probably costs less than 25 cents.  I should do that calculation for my geographic location.  But man oh man, next time I'll be more careful with the veggies.  Dropping those was more expensive than any of the cooking costs!  cheeky

I'm becoming more and more a fan of the oven broiler because it is very fast to cook with, cooks the food through evenly, and gives a delicious texture to the food.  Oh, I still love grilling outside (I have one each; a charcoal and gas grill).  But the oven broiler is just as much an art as anything on the grill.

Was 85 degrees today, is just under 60 right now.  Really starting to get that nice cool weather now.

edited November 2019

...cooked up a batch of classic "street taco" filling the other night, love my cast iron skillets.  Also made up a batch of homemade pico de gallo to garnish them with.

Tomorrow it's Cajun style Dirty Rice made with andouille sausage, and on the horizon another round of Thai curry chicken.

One nice thing about being retired and having my own place, I have the time and energy to cook (which I didn't have while working), and no longer have to deal with other people leaving he kitchen a mess.

...and I can watch my favourite foodie show the "Triple D" (where I steal a lot of ideas from) online.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Cooked salmon pinwheels (the kind with the crabmeat mixed inside) under the broiler.  OMG, delicious.  15 minutes and wow.  Had a little accident and dropped one on the floor, but I still had two left.  So I ate one (without veggies 'cause those were on the floor too) and it all got a little better.

What's wrong with "Floor Salmon"... ?  I suppose if one has a lot of cat fur, dead crickets or broken glass particles on the floor, the "Twenty Minute" rule doesn't apply... But for me, unless something hungry comes out from under the kitchen radiator and snatches the food away, that food is still mine... whatever that thing is, it better be faster and have sharper teeth than me... which reminds me... I have to figure out what that thing is.

I suppose though I'm thinking more like when a pork chop falls... salmon probably would fall apart and then I'd have to either pick up the individual pieces or lay on my stomach and eat it right there, which puts one in a vulnerable position should an iguana (I think that what that thing might be) come out to challenge you for the fish... (iguanas don't have wings and neck frills... right?)... it's far easier to defend a pork chop than splattered salmon.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,104
    I want to move out. I hate being called a liar. If I do not parrot them perfectly I am considered a liar. Also they took my replacement debit card that just came in the mail and will not give it to me.
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i need some rock n roll for my sanity

i've sunk pretty low, watched a truly horrid movie called afghan knights, was hopting to see steve bacic take his shirt off.
    dunno why, i got gianni 6.  dont really need steve bacic man pecs.

edited November 2019

too many chiefs  with conflicting instructions

one confused peon  dohh

holy moly, i was holding the control key and hit the other ctrl key, it made big  circle appear around my mouse cursor
    omg  i always losing my mouse cursor.  i've always felt a moose cursor would be better.

mooses gracias

tee hee revenge of the turkeys

https://longisland.news12.com/story/41294445/they-are-all-over-the-place-aggressive-gaggle-of-wild-turkeys-terrorizing-55andup-community

“They are all over the place”: Aggressive gaggle of wild turkeys terrorizing 55-and-up community

do mooses moo?

aww  kitteh in Houston needs rescue

Pawlice blotter: Shelter cat placed in solitary after jailbreaking his furry friends out

https://o.canada.com/entertainment/pawlice-blotter-shelter-cat-is-placed-in-solitary-confinement-after-jailbreaking-his-furry-friends/wcm/debb4c57-c191-40b9-972d-a804f09f7323

Post edited by Mistara on

take those old records off the shelf

old time rock n roll

• Mystarra said:

https://longisland.news12.com/story/41294445/they-are-all-over-the-place-aggressive-gaggle-of-wild-turkeys-terrorizing-55andup-community

“They are all over the place”: Aggressive gaggle of wild turkeys terrorizing 55-and-up community

Really?  Is there ANY group of 55 and up that won't have at least a few people in the group willing to shoot a turkey or two for dinner?  Or just grab a couple of necks and twist hard? 

If that group goes without turkey and stuffing this Thanksgiving, then I submit to you that it's their own damned fault!  I mean really, FREE TURKEY, right?  I even know a few vegans/vegetarians who wouldn't pass up THAT chance, hehe!  laughcheeky

laughing out loud at the radio

some poor guy won tickets to jonus bros,  he sounds so underwhelmed laugh

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,172
    Mystarra said:

do mooses moo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cO2UWlff4s 

Dana

edited November 2019

gobbles

i shrink the image thumbs so they could fit in 1 row

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Especially for Mysty 

McGyver said:

Cooked salmon pinwheels (the kind with the crabmeat mixed inside) under the broiler.  OMG, delicious.  15 minutes and wow.  Had a little accident and dropped one on the floor, but I still had two left.  So I ate one (without veggies 'cause those were on the floor too) and it all got a little better.

What's wrong with "Floor Salmon"... ?  I suppose if one has a lot of cat fur, dead crickets or broken glass particles on the floor, the "Twenty Minute" rule doesn't apply... But for me, unless something hungry comes out from under the kitchen radiator and snatches the food away, that food is still mine... whatever that thing is, it better be faster and have sharper teeth than me... which reminds me... I have to figure out what that thing is.

I suppose though I'm thinking more like when a pork chop falls... salmon probably would fall apart and then I'd have to either pick up the individual pieces or lay on my stomach and eat it right there, which puts one in a vulnerable position should an iguana (I think that what that thing might be) come out to challenge you for the fish... (iguanas don't have wings and neck frills... right?)... it's far easier to defend a pork chop than splattered salmon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYgchYm0syg

edited November 2019

Mystarra said:

...looks like a classic "sit in," particularly when lined up in the road to block it.

Likely protesting the coming holiday.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kid said:

Mystarra said:

...looks like a classic "sit in," particularly when lined up in the road to block it.

I could fix that right fast and nobody would go away hungry.  Not even the turkeys!

Y'know, turkeys can actually hurt or even kill humans.  Ostriges, forget it; those birds could take over the world! 

But on the other hand, have you ever had a fresh turkey, fish, or steak cooked on the same day it was harvested?  You will think you died and went to heaven.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,172

I would think a wild turkey would taste different form a domesticated turkey that's raised on a farm.  Maybe similar, but different.  I don't know this for a fact, though.  I never had a wild turkey, not even the alchoholic kind.  laugh 

Dana

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,904

I have a strong desire to obtain a perfect artificial Christmas tree. The one I have is very pretty, but it's only a few years younger than myself, and has structural damage from cat-attacks in the 90s.

I would boycott Thanksgiving but Mum already got a turkey. She would expect me to come over the day before thanksgiving to spend the night. I do have to work on black friday.
  • kyoto kid said:

Mystarra said:

I could fix that right fast and nobody would go away hungry.  Not even the turkeys!

Y'know, turkeys can actually hurt or even kill humans.  Ostriges, forget it; those birds could take over the world! 

But on the other hand, have you ever had a fresh turkey, fish, or steak cooked on the same day it was harvested?  You will think you died and went to heaven.

I thought fowl and mammals generally needed to hang for a bit before being cooked and eaten.

chamber of secrets for the turkeys.
    https://www.daz3d.com/the-chamber-of-sorrows
    doesnt say if it comes with the skeletons.  turkey skeletons?

got a ton of fun and not so fun stuff to do at the day job.  is cutting into my carrara time.

banded 6 90lb boxes this week.  saved the 140lb box for last.  i need an exoskeleton like she did in alient 2 to move the boxes.  how many weeks left to 2020?  have to finish the overtime spreadsheet.

got 6.5 hours of carrara tutorials to watch.

trying to model a mantrid drone/  kai falls a lot

whats that thing, it's the idd, the ego,  super ego?  cant remember wht the super ego is supposed to be

edited November 2019

BYO coupie for 3 items,  i only has 1 in my w/l   what to do?

i need a bikini for george

I need to grow a thick skin apparently. I cannot stop the staff from calling me a liar just because i paraphrase her.
  • OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

Ordered an inexpensive bookcase through Wayfair.  A package arrived containing a desk, which I unfortunately unpacked before realizing it was the wrong product.  They will replace it but I will never manage to put all those pieces back into the box.

is a universal phenomenone  things going back into the box are bigger than they were coming out

it's like taking apart an engine and putting it back together, there always leftover parts and a bag of screws

complaint.  i have to go through the rma dept to get an rma to fix a mux card.

lately she been making me crazy on return shipments, asking me to give the repair vendor our UPS account number or send a prepaid shipping label

finally, i says on the phone to her,  don't they normally put the shipping charges on the invoice.

she's like yeah but, she has to adjust the purchase order.

i managed not to say 'say what'
    what i did say was,  the UPS account number isn't magic.  someone here has to code every ups charge.

so she pushing her inconvenience off on me and the coding people.

got another email asking me for a serial number off a boxed 140lb power supply.  thing weighs more than i do, i can't get no serial number, i can't even get the box on to a cart.  need an alien fighting exoskeleton.

remember the Node Cult?  on the old rdna forum.

This discussion has been closed.