Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

Rezca said:

The problem arises though in that the Content Browser will render the thumbnail black if non-native materials are used (As in, Octane Materials)  so I have to render out a custom thumbnail for each object individually, and then set that as the thumbnail one by one xD

I'm finding that that isn't the case. I finished creating presets for Every City in Octane, and those rendered grey (not black), but now I'm doing the same after converting the materials to Cycles, and those are rendering with full color thumbnails.

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393

Gordig said:

Rezca said:

The problem arises though in that the Content Browser will render the thumbnail black if non-native materials are used (As in, Octane Materials)  so I have to render out a custom thumbnail for each object individually, and then set that as the thumbnail one by one xD

I'm finding that that isn't the case. I finished creating presets for Every City in Octane, and those rendered grey (not black), but now I'm doing the same after converting the materials to Cycles, and those are rendering with full color thumbnails.

Hmm, interesting!  Well at least for Cycles then it's one less step to take :)

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited April 2022

kyoto kid said:

...when I read stories, I often see the scenes happening in my mind as if I were watching a film.  That was very entertaining.

I also see colours and imagery in instrumental music without having to resort to any illicit mind altering substances and easily pick up on the emotions of others. 

I'm beginning to believe that my mantra is the Rachmaninoff 2nd Symphony.  When my mind goes quiet from mundane thoughts,  I ride the sound and emotions of that music fully formed in my head.  Of course it isn't the exact order of musical phrases, my mind drifts to my favorite parts, composes my own cycles, and latches on to the memory's undulations and resonant cycles, and its soothing glides into The Void.  Aummm.smiley

Then someone from another thread starts talking into my Void and someone else comes in and starts rambling on about racoon piss pizza and the whole thing bursts like a bubble.surprisedevil

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited April 2022

Complaint:  I give up!  Late last night I tested that supposedly bad SATA cable that I thought had been affecting my boot POST while working on "George".  It works just fine!surpriseangry 

Also, a complaint that during the process of reviving George I thought that I had determined that one of the two short 4x- PCIe slots on the motherboard was kaput.  That also is not true.surprise  The motherboard and SATA cable are both working just fine (except for confirmed death of the integrated LAN circuits, killed by lightning 10 years ago).  Nice to know it's OK, but now I'm struggling to explain why I was mistaken about the cause of POST problems.sad  If there's a short or open in the SATA cable perhaps I just need to flex it a bit? ...  Been there, done that.  Nope, didn't fail.indecision  Regardless, I've used a Sharpie to mark the cable "BAD?" so someday if the system starts boogering up, I'll have a left a clue.enlightened  Or I may replace it completely if I find another long one or when George gets into a case and could use one of my shorter cables.  Or I could just order more long cables.enlightenedblush

Non-complaint:  Despite still being homeless, George is working just fine, quick, zippy, quiet, cool.  A very nice household machine.    But I'm shopping for a new case for MommaBear to move into so that George can move back into his 14 year old HP Pavilion a6619f case.  I'm sorry if this sounds like an old geezer's nostalgic blathering, but I think HP made some handsome looking cases back then 10-14 years ago. (See link below)  Yeah, they're HP but if you can get your hands on some old HP Pavilion tower systems from that era, especially the higher end models with at least 8GB RAM and supports a CPU upgradeable to 4-cores, then old HP machines can be made suitable for basic work, without frustrating lag, in the 3rd decade of this century. (Well, at least the late 2nd decade.)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01549568

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    I don't think it's fair that only roosters get to start the day screaming.
    edited April 2022

TJohn said:

I don't think it's fair that only roosters get to start the day screaming.

Well, when you wake up and remember that you're covered in feathers and have red nasty flesh hanging from your throat you can start the day screaming too.yes

Oh, and in case anybody's still following my "George" saga, ...    I mentioned my PATA to SATA adapter for my DVD drive.  Also works for PATA HDDs too.  Here's the exact adapter I used.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0823Q33PT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3TUR5JBYCEPNE&th=1

Non-complaint:  I've gone ahead and ordered a new case for MommaBear so that George can move back into his home.  Momma's new case is a smaller version of the case she occupied before she moved into George's case after Titan had shoved her out of her case.  Titan has taken over most of the roles that Momma use to play, so Momma doesn't really need all those extra I/O ports, rear panel extensions, and daughter cards and will live happily in a microATX case instead of a mid-towerATX case.

Here's the case I ordered today. https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-focus-g-mini-micro-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352068?Item=N82E16811352068 ; $25 cheaper than at Amazon.yes  Titan and Momma in their matching cases and similarly blinged out with RGB lights will make a great presentation.

I've only ever bought four cases.  Three by FractalDesign and one by CoolerMaster.  I like the FD cases a little better for overall quality and adaptability.  I have an FD "Meshify-C ATX" (no window) for PoppaBear, an FD "Focus-G ATX" (clear acrylic) for Titan, and now an FD "Focus-G-mini" (clear acrylic) microATX for Momma.  (BabyBear has a micro ATX CoolerMaster NR-400, clear glass).

Oh,  so the Octane subscription also comes with a free version of EmberGen and an architectural plugin for C4D...  I wish I knew this stuff earlier haha

Gave the plugin a look the other night before bed,  even just ten/fifteen minutes of fiddling I could already see it'd be super cool to play with and also a huge time saver.

edited April 2022

Interesting Factoid:  While writing my post above I came across the phrase "a FractalDesign case" but if I use the abbreviation "FD" instead of "FractalDesign" then I need to write "an FD case".  Native English speakers don't think about it much, it just comes automatically.  But this is a good example of when to use "an" instead of "a" as the indefinite article.  It's the <sound> of the beginning of the word following the article that determines whether to use "a" or "an".  If followed by a consonant sound (e.g. the "f" in Fractal) you use the "a".  If the beginning sound of the next word is a vowel sound (e.g. the "eff" name of the letter string "FD") you use the "an" despite the letter being a consonant.  When you use the F's name it has the 'eh' vowel sound at the beginning.  Using the correct indefinite article makes it just so much easier to pronounce that way.  The sounds flow instead causing a mental jerk or vocal hesitancy.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,156

@LeatherGryphon , gotta love linguistic gymnastics! From all I've read, FD makes excellent cases. Hope that all goes well for you.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...just had 2 bad gateway errors in the last 20 min one that lasted ten minutes and took 6 consecutive refreshes to get past

Looks like after MM, it's back to "the same old same old" again.

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  Despite still being homeless, George is working just fine, quick, zippy, quiet, cool.  A very nice household machine.    But I'm shopping for a new case for MommaBear to move into so that George can move back into his 14 year old HP Pavilion a6619f case.  I'm sorry if this sounds like an old geezer's nostalgic blathering, but I think HP made some handsome looking cases back then 10-14 years ago. (See link below)  Yeah, they're HP but if you can get your hands on some old HP Pavilion tower systems from that era, especially the higher end models with at least 8GB RAM and supports a CPU upgradeable to 4-cores, then old HP machines can be made suitable for basic work, without frustrating lag, in the 3rd decade of this century. (Well, at least the late 2nd decade.)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01549568

...had an HP Pavilion on my desk at the old job and agreed, nice "no nonsense" case.  The idea of a more "professional" look is what convinced me to go for the Antec P-192 over the more bizarre looking gaming cases at the time which were about the only  ones that had multiple fan solutions for airflow.

LeatherGryphon said:

Interesting Factoid:  While writing my post above I came across the phrase "a FractalDesign case" but if I use the abbreviation "FD" instead of "FractalDesign" then I need to write "an FD case".  Native English speakers don't think about it much, it just comes automatically.  But this is a good example of when to use "an" instead of "a" as the indefinite article.  It's the <sound> of the beginning of the word following the article that determines whether to use "a" or "an".  If followed by a consonant sound (e.g. the "f" in Fractal) you use the "a".  If the beginning sound of the next word is a vowel sound (e.g. the "eff" name of the letter string "FD") you use the "an" despite the letter being a consonant.  When you use the F's name it has the 'eh' vowel sound at the beginning.  Using the correct indefinite article makes it just so much easier to pronounce that way.  The sounds flow instead causing a mental jerk or vocal hesitancy.

I dated a Japanese woman a while back, and one day she told me she had "a bad news". I told her that it should be simply "bad news". She turned that over in her head a few times, and then tried "I have a bad new?". It shows you how illogical language can be, because that is a perfectly reasonable conclusion to reach, but it doesn't sound like natural English.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

McGyver said:

Whatever... I'm gonna assume it's something else.

Communications related... not like you opened some cursed ornate iron box that a crazy one eyed old lady you ran into on a dark street entrusted you with... 

It probably started years ago, when you got out of work late and were heading to that fusion Asian restaurant to pick up some Pad Thai... suddenly all outta nowhere she comes... all up in your face, smelling like mothballs and Ultra-Strength Bengay... 

"Aaaagh! Take this my pretty!... For this is the tabernacle of Arrmongk Raghk, a powerful spell holds Surukk Krabbypaddie within... Aaaagh-haahaaaha!... in eternal slumber within the void he lies! Never open it or all will perish! Doom! Death! Despair!... 
    Take it... it is yours!... Now tell me... is this street with the Walgreens?... I've been looking all over for it.... Aaaaaaaaagh! The Walgreens!... is it near?"

So you told her where the Walgreens was and went on your way holding that rusty ornate iron box she shoved into your hands. 
    Normally, you don't take ornate iron boxes from weird Ultra-Strength Bengay smelling strangers... but for some reason... this time you did... 

When you finally got home, you left the noodles on the counter and placed the ornate box in the closet next to those sneakers you don't wear anymore...

There is nothing wrong with them, they're practically new, but they had something weird and brown on the bottom that looked suspiciously like poop, but it fell off before you could confirm what it was, and even though it was probably just tree bark, you can't really bring yourself to go through disinfecting them, so you placed them on that weird looking glittery holiday tray that your weird coworker gave you for your birthday... 

That night you ate the noodles in front of the TV... trying not to think of her clouded red eye... the bad one, not the other one which was actually weirder, but it seemed like that was the one she could see from... they were both pointing in different directions, so it was kinda hard to tell... but you tried not to think of that eye... or the box.

That ornate iron box.

Months went by... maybe a year or two...

You finally threw the sneakers out with the tray... that coworker turned out to be really, really crazy and you didn't want that tray hanging around in the closet anymore and since the sneakers were sitting on it for too long they probably absorbed some of the residual crazy from the tray, so it was better off...

But the box just sat there in the back... 

Mostly you forgot about it...

But sometimes you'd have that dream...

The one where you are lost in IKEA, but it's not IKEA, it's really an abandoned psychiatric hospital for the criminally insane with really nice looking flimsy furniture...
    Then you realize you are back in high school and you have a paper due and have to get home... but you can't find your way out and you keep knocking over furniture and it breaks into a million pieces... then the giant parakeet tells you you broke his Levervärta dresser... so you look over at where his wing is pointing and you see a pile of broken wood...
    In the center is the box... it's glowing... barely perceptibly... the glow seems to pulse... and then a horse, raspy voice emanates from deep within it... 
    "That was a CVS damn it!!... I wanted a Walgreens!!"...
    You always wake up drenched in what was hopefully sweat, though it was sure a lot of moisture to be solely sweat, but you try not to dwell on that... 

Days or weeks could go by without a thought of the box... once it went for several months...

But then in the middle of lunch with an old friend you remembered it... you ran out without saying a word... or paying... but that's okay because she was always mooching off you and telling you about her dumbass boy friends...

You ran all the way across town to get home... in the rain... in the wrong direction... twice... 

When you burst in the front door, after you tripped over that stupid rug that keeps bunching up, you ran into the bedroom and took the box out...

You were relieved it was still there... but it was warm... you held it tenderly like a small pet you had accidentally kicked across the room...

Stroking its lid like the now crooked ears of that same small pet...

You felt guilty for abandoning the box... it seemed to tremble... and then suddenly it spoke... "It was a damn CVS!!"...

You threw the box across the room in fear and disgust like a small pet that had accidentally peed on you, but you realized it was just a dream... you had probably just gotten extremely sick from running around in the rain... you were relieved it was just a hallucination.

Or was it really just a simple hallucination... and why did you keep thinking about throwing small pets across the room?

You put the box back in closet next to that sweater you still hadn't returned... you felt shame for letting the box trouble you so... and also not returning that damn sweater... tired and damp, you went to the refrigerator and found some old Pad Thai noodles... hopefully not the same noodle from five years ago... was it really five years ago?... it seemed like just yesterday...

You managed to force thoughts of the box from your mind... for months and months you succeeded in ignoring it...

Then ten days ago, you came home and with out a thought walked into the bedroom closet and opened the box.

Everything disappeared... the closet, the world... everything was enveloped in misty blackness...

You panicked and turned to run, but your legs flailed in the air... you tumbled forward and caught the edge of the doorway, your hands grabbing the carpeting... you pulled yourself out of the netherworld, dragging yourself bit by bit back into the bedroom... 

In fear and confusion you looked back to see a dull red light in the center of void... pulsating... beckoning...

It spoke... it shouted... "Bring me a box of Hostess Cupcakes!!"

You slammed the door shut...

Now you were never going to be able to return that damn sweater you thought...

And now for eight days you have been talking into that void... mostly telling it to shut the hell up about the damn cupcakes... you don't even know where to get Hostess Cupcakes... you could probably get them from Amazon, but that's a ripoff because they are like three times what a store would charge.

Yesterday the void asked you how your day was and you told it, but you didn't think it really cared and it was just making conversation.

Still... at least now you have a good reason not to return the sweater...

Who knows... maybe having a closet with a disembodied evil entity at the center of an endless void isn't so bad... it definitely is a conversation piece.

Only time will tell.

This is what happened. And I found an awesome new outfit and hairstyle. 

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

Yeah,  Fractal Design makes really nice cases.My current PC is in a FD Core1000 case, really pleased with it..

edited April 2022

Yep!  Basic, well constructed, black box with holes in all the appropriate places.  And a window for the exhibitionists and voyeurs.yes

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited April 2022

NylonGirl said:

McGyver said:

Whatever... I'm gonna assume it's something else.

Communications related... not like you opened some cursed ornate iron box that a crazy one eyed old lady you ran into on a dark street entrusted you with... 

It probably started years ago, when you got out of work late and were heading to that fusion Asian restaurant to pick up some Pad Thai... suddenly all outta nowhere she comes... all up in your face, smelling like mothballs and Ultra-Strength Bengay...

(Me going on about something crazy... Blah, blah, blah, etc, etc...) 

Who knows... maybe having a closet with a disembodied evil entity at the center of an endless void isn't so bad... it definitely is a conversation piece.

Only time will tell.

This is what happened. And I found an awesome new outfit and hairstyle. 

Wow... I got that right?... Honestly, I did sense something "one eyed old lady and evil entity demanding Hostess Cupcakes" related in the way you mentioned the void, but that was mostly just a guess... and considering most of my guesses are just bats_ _t insane, I'm kinda surprised.

Did the void ask for a specific kind of Hostess Cupcakes?... because I found the chocolate ones in Walmart recently... if it's those orange flavored ones... you are going to have to get those online... They are pretty horrible and I really wouldn't wish those on any nebulous evil entity.

What demented bastard came up with those?... They taste nothing like orange... not even the color... it's more like red and yellow having a drunken fistfight on your tongue... it's what I imagine a orange sharpie tastes like if you leave it in the sun.

Nobody deserves that.

Actually, there is this beady eyed, pasty old dude that's been in the news a lot lately (about one month, one week and five days) that I'd definitely wish them on... a whole truckload... dropped from an altitude of at least 800 feet... truck and all... maybe with a few boxes of rusty razor blades and herpes infected scorpions thrown in for good measure too...

But I digress...

Well, seeing that you got a new outfit and hairstyle now, I'm guessing you got this whole thing under control, which is a huge relief... usually when I make a guess that turns out accurate, it involves more lamentation and general dissatisfaction... 

Anyhow... Congratulations on the outfit and hairstyle!

Stay safe and mind the void!

Post edited by McGyver on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636

And now March Madness is really over.

Complaint: UNC tried hard but didn't quite make it.

Non-complaint: It was a great game anyway

My power went out about four hours ago. Honestly, I'm surprised it took that long, with how crazy the wind's been blowing all day. 

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

Charlie Judge said:

And now March Madness is really over.

Complaint: UNC tried hard but didn't quite make it.

Non-complaint: It was a great game anyway

Oddly enough, my hometown of Kansas City doesn't seem to be too sad about the outcome of the game. Or cupcakes. Just anything but football. 

It's funny to me how often sci-fi movies include a plot point where a character has to use a match, because matches are obsolete NOW, let alone hundreds of years in the future. I feel the same about revolvers. 

Gordig said:

My power went out about four hours ago. Honestly, I'm surprised it took that long, with how crazy the wind's been blowing all day. 

..yeah got caught in a hailstorm, which with the gusty winds, was being driven almost horizontally.  

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

It looked like the winter was retreating, but no... Some 4-5 inches of snow last night and apparently it had been windy as well, as one of the trees next to my driveway had dropped a large branch across the driveway frown

edited April 2022

Gordig said:

It's funny to me how often sci-fi movies include a plot point where a character has to use a match, because matches are obsolete NOW, let alone hundreds of years in the future. I feel the same about revolvers. 

How about revolvers with silencers?... That bugs the hell out of me.

I don't know about matches going entirely extinct though... in common use, probably... but I can see them sticking around a long time... maybe in survival packs or Jr. Pyromaniac kits... there are certain circumstances where a lighter isn't the optimal fire delivery system... I suppose those high intensity electric heating element type (glow coil?) lighters would work in those situations... but those have batteries and batteries die... 
    I have a couple of emergency kits around and I keep waterproof matches in them because I've had perfectly good butane lighters that have been in storage go dead or near dead after sitting around for a few years... it's rare, but I feel properly stored waterproof matches are simpler.

Also, I hope your power is restored without further complications.

Post edited by McGyver on

PerttiA said:

It looked like the winter was retreating, but no... Some 4-5 inches of snow last night and apparently it had been windy as well, as one of the trees next to my driveway had dropped a large branch across the driveway frown

The weather has been flakey here too... last weekend I had to to Washington D.C. and it was snowing there... not unheard of, but it should have been in the 50s (10s C) there... on the way back I was going to go through Pennsylvania but got lazy and managed to avoid a line of snow squalls that in one area caused an 80 car pileup.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,110

I found this picture online.

9E441C37-05E5-49F7-A52A-6375014A0B5F.png
    1640 x 2360 - 7M
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,110

Sfariah said:

I found this picture online.

I think I can do it? 

video-1649165363.gif
    224 x 432 - 36K
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

McGyver said:

PerttiA said:

The weather has been flakey here too... last weekend I had to to Washington D.C. and it was snowing there... not unheard of, but it should have been in the 50s (10s C) there... on the way back I was going to go through Pennsylvania but got lazy and managed to avoid a line of snow squalls that in one area caused an 80 car pileup.

Saw that on the news.  Glad you avoided it!

Dana 

DanaTA said:

McGyver said:

PerttiA said:

Saw that on the news.  Glad you avoided it!

Dana 

Thanks... I could actually see the line of snow squalls from where I was, but I never got close.

There is a video taken by someone who was involved in the pileup... one after another you see cars and trucks plowing into one another at high speed.

Yet there is this one guy who emerges from the haze driving about 25-30 mph sees the destruction and safety pulls off the road and up an embankment.

The real problem seemed to be speed related and driving beyond one's ability to react to conditions.

The video is pretty terrible because they guy filming it is a bit of a dope who is more concerned about his car, but seeing what happened is quite informative... I showed it to my daughters who are now learning to drive to illustrate that despite news coverage saying the collisions were unavoidable, apparently they were avoidable for someone who slowed down and reacted appropriately.

Rezca said:

Oh,  so the Octane subscription also comes with a free version of EmberGen and an architectural plugin for C4D...  I wish I knew this stuff earlier haha

Is that still true? I've been trying to figure out how to activate EmberGen on my system, and all the information I can find points back to a release from 2020 announcing the partnership with EmberGen, with no information about how to activate it now. In fact, one exchange, either on Twitter or JangaFX's forums, between a user and the head of JangaFX suggested that you need to pay for it now.

Gordig said:

Rezca said:

Is that still true? I've been trying to figure out how to activate EmberGen on my system, and all the information I can find points back to a release from 2020 announcing the partnership with EmberGen, with no information about how to activate it now. In fact, one exchange, either on Twitter or JangaFX's forums, between a user and the head of JangaFX suggested that you need to pay for it now.

Don't know, but it was then at least I guess xD   

The Architron plugin still definitely is a thing though;  asks you to either activate with an Architron license or use your Octane license when you start it up.  It's been pretty cool for setting up quick buildings and rooms.

This discussion has been closed.