Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636

LeatherGryphon said:

Hmmm... interesting idea.yes  I know they don't require much care or eat much.  But where would I find a breeding pair of river rocks?  What's their rate of gestation?indecision

You can find them in almost any mountain stream. And the period of gestation is about 10,000 years. 

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

So ever since I upgraded Studio ,I've had an issue with my renders turning out really dark ......and being the odd ball I am I like nice quick renders just using the headlamp for the camera  ,cause lights tend to just drag render times to soooo slow ..... well tonight  i decided to render with lights ... took 5 hours to render a simple scene ,nope was happy with it either  ......finally had a light bulb come on and looked in the parameter setting on the headlamp and raised it, OMG!! what a difference so I got rid of the light set up brought in a single distant light with mapped shadows ,and I think I'm very happy !! So I'm not sure if this is a complaint or not

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

DanaTA said:

Rezca said:

starionwolf said:

Sfariah said:

I am at my doctor appointment.  I'm waiting for the doctor to do some paperwork I need.

good luck.  I go see my cardiologist next month.  Maybe he'll be able to diagnose why my chest and heart feels weird.  Hopefully I just need a new prescription.

Aaah hopefully that's nothing serious D: 

What he said!

Dana 

..what they both said. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Yeah, a person who's addicted to candy should not visit a candystore, at least not without  a chaperone... But I think I still managed to keep myself somewhat in control, when picking up my 3060 12GB, I just bought a new case for the components that were meant for upgrading my current rig.

I think following the life of the "Bear family" has had an effect on me blush

I should now make an inventory, but I'm pretty sure that after getting the new i9-9940X+X299+64GB rig built, I should still have enough leftover parts to build a complete i7-5820K+X99+32GB one

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393

The problem with the clothing and human figures is knowing there's going to be a huge amount of work to get them functional and ready to use,  but its either brave it and deal with those problems or forever stick to empty environments and/or creatures-only.  I love me some critters, but there's times I'd like a people person or few to be involved too y'know?

I guess the other alternative is make all of that stuff from the ground up by hand which would take ten or twenty times as long  -  so I guess fixing an enormous amount of some rigging problems from iffy exporters isn't such a terrible thing in comparisoncheeky

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Rezca said:

The problem with the clothing and human figures is knowing there's going to be a huge amount of work to get them functional and ready to use,  but its either brave it and deal with those problems or forever stick to empty environments and/or creatures-only.  I love me some critters, but there's times I'd like a people person or few to be involved too y'know?

I guess the other alternative is make all of that stuff from the ground up by hand which would take ten or twenty times as long  -  so I guess fixing an enormous amount of some rigging problems from iffy exporters isn't such a terrible thing in comparisoncheeky

There was a reason, why Vicky preferred adventuring without restrictive clothing wink 

PerttiA said:

Rezca said:

There was a reason, why Vicky preferred adventuring without restrictive clothing wink 

I guess it makes sense now!  cheeky

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,110

Oh I thought it was a form of self defense.  She wants her enemies think she wants romance instead to fight.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited April 2022

Sfariah said:

Oh I thought it was a form of self defense.  She wants her enemies think she wants romance instead to fight.

I thought that claws that were their primary defence, or possibly the tongue.devil 

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited April 2022

Non-complaint:  Wheee...  Last night I took "George" off of the shelf, strapped him to my operating table to get ready for surgery.  Several weeks ago I'd ordered a used Quad core Intel CPU.  Of course it came on a slow boat from China.  I've been waiting so long I almost forgot about it.  But it was in Buffalo last night and did arrive here about an hour ago. 

"George" is an old HP motherboard (IPIBL-L8) that came with an Intel "E2220 Core2-Duo" 2-core CPU.  He's been configured to run with an SSD but that didn't speed him up enough.  Two cores is just not enough anymore.frown  So, I checked the motherboard specs found a 4-core CPU that was compatible (Intel "Core2-Quad Q9550").  I found one at EBAY for about $25 and took the risk.  It arrived about an hour ago.  

Surgery went well and George now has a new brain.  And it seems, right off the bat, that it's noticeably zippier.  Yay!yes

Complaint:  Because MommaBear chased George out of his case, he is currently lying on my lab bench like the Scarecrow after the Flying Monkeys were through with him.  Yeah, he's alive and talking but he's saying things like "and he tossed my disks over there and my powersupply over there, and my CD over there..."  Poor guy.  I'll just scoop him up respectfully, put him in a cardboard box and put him back on the shelf until MommaBear moves out of George's original case into her own new home.  Someday.indecision

Question:  Has anybody worked with the new thermopaste goop called MX-5?  It used to be called MX-4 but they apparently think they've improved it.indecision  I found it to be too thick, too goopy.  It sticks to the spreading spatula better than the CPU cover.  Hard to spread it out without lumps, holes & ruts.frown

Interesting factoid:  When I replaced my  Duo core CPU with the Quad core CPU everything worked OK, except for the fact that the Computer Properties dialog still reported the CPU as being the E2220 Core2-Duo.frown  Also, the TaskManager Performance graph for the CPU would only show 2 core activity.frown  After several updates and reboots the value never changed so I guessed that it wasn't going to cure itself.  I completely cleaned the SSD and started over with a fresh virgin installation of Win10.  This time it recognized the ID of the CPU and now shows it in the "ThisPC-->Properties" dialog properly.  This also resolved the TaskManager CPU graph problem.  It now shows all four cores.yes

I don't know what its problem was, but that's not the way I'd expect it to behave.  I assume that after you change the CPU the software catches on and makes all the correct adjustments.  I think Microsoft is reading the CPU ID once when the system is first installed then sticks the value into a text string that gets displayed along with the rest of the "Device Specifications" when your ask for ThisPC-->Properties and never tested again.  Either that or there is a way I don't know of to force the system to re-read the CPU ID information and make the appropriate adjustments.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,511

LeatherGryphon - Do you have the System Utilities - Windows Sysinternals by Mark Russinovich? If not, get them (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/). I have them on my Win2000, XP, Win7 and Win10 installed. If you cannot get them (they ought to be available for free), tell me.

edited April 2022

Horo said:

LeatherGryphon - Do you have the System Utilities - Windows Sysinternals by Mark Russinovich? If not, get them (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/). I have them on my Win2000, XP, Win7 and Win10 installed. If you cannot get them (they ought to be available for free), tell me.

No, I didn't have it.  But now I do, or will shortly. Thanks for the tip.yes

Yeah, I know, there's a lot of Microsoft books and info I've never read.  I stopped memorizing computer manuals after I left the corporate world with its shelves of UNIX manuals.  I think at one time I could have recited some volumes of the HPUX (HP's version of UNIX) manual set, word for word.  Back in those days they sent you the manuals after you paid your $50,000.00 for your computer.smiley  And in many cases there was nobody to teach you about the machine, you had to read and understand the manuals.cool  Fun times.  The software universe was still knowable.  

Complaint:  Arghhhh... I was afraid that I'd killed "George".crying  Turned out to be a bad SATA cable!surprise  I'd been working happily with just an SSD attached for the system.  But it's a small SSD (256GB) and my usual practice is to provide a larger spinning hard drive (HDD) for backups and PagingSpace.   Not particularly needed on this machine because it will probably see very little use in whatever's left of its life, but putting PagingSpace on an HDD instead of the SDD avoids numerous massive writes to the limited write-life of SSD.  But everytime I tried to boot with both the SSD and the HDD attached the system would freeze during POST.frown  Then I mixed up the cables (both red, both the same length, both new, identical cables) and I couldn't even get it to boot with just the SSD attached.  It turns out that there is a short in one of the brand new cables.  Once I'd reasoned out that the only things left that could cause the problem being the motherboard or the cables or I had fried both drives somehow, I was able carefully test the drives in another machine and found them still OK.  So it was down to the motherboard or cables.  I started swapping SATA ports and swapping cables and voila!  Found a bad cable!  Oy!  First time I'd ever found a bad SATA cable.  Well, they were cheap.frown

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

@rezca, how much editing do you find you need to do on the KB3D kits? I just loaded the Every City kit, and I'm early in the process of learning how to use Octane, but it looks pretty unimpressive so far.

Well, I've answered my own question. All the materials load with absolute references to texture files on F:, which I don't even have.

Gordig said:

Well, I've answered my own question. All the materials load with absolute references to texture files on F:, which I don't even have.

I thiiiink that happened to me too, but a quick "Re-Link Assets" operation solved it.   I had a message typed up then closed the tab thinking I had already sent it which of course discarded all of it, but then I see this message and "Oh, I guess I didn't need that message after all!"  haha

Rezca said:

Gordig said:

I thiiiink that happened to me too, but a quick "Re-Link Assets" operation solved it.   I had a message typed up then closed the tab thinking I had already sent it which of course discarded all of it, but then I see this message and "Oh, I guess I didn't need that message after all!"  haha

I really wish I remembered both that that was a thing I could do, and how to do it, because it would have saved me dozens of hours.

edited April 2022

Gordig said:

Rezca said:

Gordig said:

I really wish I remembered both that that was a thing I could do, and how to do it, because it would have saved me dozens of hours.

When I was still using an archaic R13 Visualize having to replace missing textures  -  or when the image/path got renamed or moved, or when you paste stuff into a new scene it no longer can find the image links anymore, etc  -  was such a darn pain!! But when I jumped to R23, the new Asset Manager was amazing to me.  Seeing this new manager where it in a simple clean interface shows you what assets can't be found and then letting you bulk-relink them or replace them with other source files....?  That was big to me xD

Every now and then though it'll have a hiccup where it can't re-link the files for whatever reason; in that case it's as simple as just replacing the file used in the manager or just deleting the source entirely.  But a whole lot less time tracking stuff down then replacing it for sure!  Especially for content packs like this, where sometimes they'll still reference the original author's drive and stuff and all you need to do is direct the incorrect links to the new texture folder.

Post edited by Rezca on

I know they'll vary based on the specific scene, but are there any responses you find yourself using more often?

Gordig said:

I know they'll vary based on the specific scene, but are there any responses you find yourself using more often?

I usually just default to  Linear with a Gamma of 2.2,  then leave color correction to the whitepoint and LUT. There's been a few cases where using a different response preset though provides an artistic look that I can't get from the LUT's though. Some of PixelLab's  "Aura" scenes do that for instance. I'm not on a computer with C4D atm so I can't give the exact names but I know the Museum scene used a different one that gave it a nice look.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

LeatherGryphon said:

I don't know what its problem was, but that's not the way I'd expect it to behave.  I assume that after you change the CPU the software catches on and makes all the correct adjustments.  I think Microsoft is reading the CPU ID once when the system is first installed then sticks the value into a text string that gets displayed along with the rest of the "Device Specifications" when your ask for ThisPC-->Properties and never tested again.  Either that or there is a way I don't know of to force the system to re-read the CPU ID information and make the appropriate adjustments.

As long as they're not really checking anything, I wonder if there is some string I can change to tell Windows I have a newer processor, and make it install Windows 11. 

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Happy Belated Caturday!

The inflated cat! surprise  Is that going to be a new DAZ prize?yes

edited April 2022

Non-complaint:  Yay, George is happy & healthy and raring to go but he's still homeless.indecision  I am so pleased at how George turned out.  His story is long and tragic.  He started out being a Vista machine which was a handicap to begin with.sad   He belonged to one of my PC repair customers.  Around 2010 while he was still newish, he was struck by lightning and it blew out his on-board LAN (the customer's Internet was via DSL so I think the phone lines got hit and it wasn't connected to their surge suppressor.  Bummer!)   At the time, I replaced the on-board LAN with a PCIe 10/100 LAN card and all was OK, but then something else happened to him and the customer called me back and decided to get a new computer.  They asked me if I'd take the old one (George) away.  At that time I was still collecting old PCs (I hadn't conquered my hoarding tendecies yet) so he joined my home for unwanted 'puters.  I fixed whatever was wrong with him(software issue) and I used him now and then for various experiments in networking but when he was middle aged he couldn't keep up with all the new kids on the block, so he was set aside.  Over the years I've revisited him.  He was actually a pretty good machine for his day.  He had 8GB of RAM when the typical was 4GB.  He had a dual core processor when the typical machines I worked on was a single core Pentium4   He had and (still has) a Firewire connection and in addition to the three PCIe slots he has an old PCI slot just in case you have an old PCI style card you want to test.  

I've updated George several times over the years.  Through Vista, Win7, Win8, Win8.1, and now Win10.  His original LAN was 10/100 but recently I upgraded it to a 10/100/1000 speed card.  I recently replaced his BIOS battery.   I replaced his original HDD with a SATA SSD.  That improved his performance but not enough. Then I replaced the 2-core CPU with a compatible 4-core CPU.  I've also replaced his cooler with one a bit beefier(the old one physically broke its anchor screw mechanism).surprise  I've added an HDD for backups.  But it was the CPU upgrade that did the trick.  George is now pleasantly responsive.yes  I'm so tickled that he doesn't lag anymore!heart  And it didn't vaporize my wallet either.  LAN card $10, SSD $25, HDD, $25, CPU $25, Cooler $20.  Total $105 for a tolerable machine.yes

Unfortunately, he is still homeless.  MommaBear has taken over his case.  I can see my next steps clearly now.  Momma has to go.surprise  She deserves a nice modern case of her own with a window and light show.  That would let George get back into his old home and stand proudly on the shelf waiting to be bought or gifted to someone that needs a nice household computer for $100 well suited for the next 3 years until Win10 is deprecated.  Although, he doesn't have enough power or graphics horsepower for modern gaming.  Only one thing left to do, I have to somehow fix the power light on the old HP case. It bugs me not knowing if the machine is on when I glance at it.  George even has a FireWire connection and a FloppyDrive connection if needed and if you can find software that drives those devices in Win10.

Momma herself has led an interesting life having already lived in a total of four different cases, and a new one would be fivesurprise

Image of George below.  He's in his "Scarecrow after the Flying Monkeys were through with him", state.smiley

Wheee... Momma has to go, that means shopping for a new case for MommaBear.  Wheee... shopping.yes

...Two Hours Later ...

George is all kitted out now.  I dug into my hoard boxes and found an old PATA DVD drive, still new in the box.  Yeah about 12 years old, but I finally did get it to work with my SATA to PATA adapter.  I've also increased his USB support from 4 USB2 ports on the motherboard and added a 2-port USB3.0 card.  He's smokin' now and moved a little bit uptown!smiley  But now I'm getting a little worried that the power supply isn't up to muster.  It's only 250 watts.  Gotta think about this for a while.  George doesn't really need all those extra gadgets but I do enjoy pulling them from my hoard and finding a use for them.

George20220403.jpg
    2667 x 2000 - 1M

It has been eight days now since I started talking into the void again. Maybe I like the void... I have become the void... I have voided checks. I don't like writing checks. I should check my email and see if there is any reply I've missed. But there isn't. There is only email from Pinterest telling me about new outfits or hairstyles I could try. Pinterest likes talking into the void. But I am not Pinterest. I need a nap.

edited April 2022

NylonGirl said:

It has been eight days now since I started talking into the void again. Maybe I like the void... I have become the void... I have voided checks. I don't like writing checks. I should check my email and see if there is any reply I've missed. But there isn't. There is only email from Pinterest telling me about new outfits or hairstyles I could try. Pinterest likes talking into the void. But I am not Pinterest. I need a nap.

The void of space is nice at least,  I love space. I love the ocean too, but its much less of a void

On other note (didn't want to make a second message just for this)  picked up some of the stuff I had on my wishlist backlog - some items been there for years even - since Sale. I could have gone even further and picked up lots more but I made myself limit it since already spent a fair chunk of the money I allocated for my 'Monthly Frivilous Spending Budget'   elsewhere x)

Post edited by Rezca on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

NylonGirl said:

At first I thought you said you were talking to The Noid again... and I was wondering how much I missed in the time I haven't been hanging around here lately, and that you perhaps had some kind of interaction with The Noid and then for whatever reason stopped talking to him... I totally would get why you did that though... he's the most annoying corporate mascot after The Roid (the Preperation-H mascot)... in fact it's because of him I refuse to eat Domino's pizza... The Noid... not The Roid... 

Well, that and Domino's tastes like wet cardboard that raccoons have been scent marking inside of an abandoned Olive Garden dumpster.

I'm not saying Domino's pizza is bad... (technically, really bad)... I'm just saying around here it tastes really bad... it probably is not be made entirely out of cardboard that Olive Garden dumpster raccoons have been peeing on... the logistics of acquiring that much soggy raccoon scented cardboard is pretty daunting and I'd imagine they'd probably have to use other animals too...

I'm sure there are lots of people out there who like Domino's pizza and where they are the Domino's might actually make good pizza and not use much if any raccoon pee cardboard... probably... like I said, I just know the Domino's pizza around here.

But I digress...

Actually, talking into The Void sounds a lot scarier that talking to The Noid... and a bit less weird than talking into The Roid...

I'm not sure what The Void refers to... it sounds very existential... poetic actually... Like you started corresponding with some superficial individuals on some social media platform or forum...

Hey...

No... you don't mean us... we are too great... 

But, it sounds like your voice is falling on deaf ears and it's very disappointing and draining...

Hmm... that could be the forums.

Whatever... I'm gonna assume it's something else.

Communications related... not like you opened some cursed ornate iron box that a crazy one eyed old lady you ran into on a dark street entrusted you with... 

It probably started years ago, when you got out of work late and were heading to that fusion Asian restaurant to pick up some Pad Thai... suddenly all outta nowhere she comes... all up in your face, smelling like mothballs and Ultra-Strength Bengay... 

"Aaaagh! Take this my pretty!... For this is the tabernacle of Arrmongk Raghk, a powerful spell holds Surukk Krabbypaddie within... Aaaagh-haahaaaha!... in eternal slumber within the void he lies! Never open it or all will perish! Doom! Death! Despair!... 
    Take it... it is yours!... Now tell me... is this street with the Walgreens?... I've been looking all over for it.... Aaaaaaaaagh! The Walgreens!... is it near?"

So you told her where the Walgreens was and went on your way holding that rusty ornate iron box she shoved into your hands. 
    Normally, you don't take ornate iron boxes from weird Ultra-Strength Bengay smelling strangers... but for some reason... this time you did... 

When you finally got home, you left the noodles on the counter and placed the ornate box in the closet next to those sneakers you don't wear anymore...

There is nothing wrong with them, they're practically new, but they had something weird and brown on the bottom that looked suspiciously like poop, but it fell off before you could confirm what it was, and even though it was probably just tree bark, you can't really bring yourself to go through disinfecting them, so you placed them on that weird looking glittery holiday tray that your weird coworker gave you for your birthday... 

That night you ate the noodles in front of the TV... trying not to think of her clouded red eye... the bad one, not the other one which was actually weirder, but it seemed like that was the one she could see from... they were both pointing in different directions, so it was kinda hard to tell... but you tried not to think of that eye... or the box.

That ornate iron box.

Months went by... maybe a year or two...

You finally threw the sneakers out with the tray... that coworker turned out to be really, really crazy and you didn't want that tray hanging around in the closet anymore and since the sneakers were sitting on it for too long they probably absorbed some of the residual crazy from the tray, so it was better off...

But the box just sat there in the back... 

Mostly you forgot about it...

But sometimes you'd have that dream...

The one where you are lost in IKEA, but it's not IKEA, it's really an abandoned psychiatric hospital for the criminally insane with really nice looking flimsy furniture...
    Then you realize you are back in high school and you have a paper due and have to get home... but you can't find your way out and you keep knocking over furniture and it breaks into a million pieces... then the giant parakeet tells you you broke his Levervärta dresser... so you look over at where his wing is pointing and you see a pile of broken wood...
    In the center is the box... it's glowing... barely perceptibly... the glow seems to pulse... and then a horse, raspy voice emanates from deep within it... 
    "That was a CVS damn it!!... I wanted a Walgreens!!"...
    You always wake up drenched in what was hopefully sweat, though it was sure a lot of moisture to be solely sweat, but you try not to dwell on that... 

Days or weeks could go by without a thought of the box... once it went for several months...

But then in the middle of lunch with an old friend you remembered it... you ran out without saying a word... or paying... but that's okay because she was always mooching off you and telling you about her dumbass boy friends...

You ran all the way across town to get home... in the rain... in the wrong direction... twice... 

When you burst in the front door, after you tripped over that stupid rug that keeps bunching up, you ran into the bedroom and took the box out...

You were relieved it was still there... but it was warm... you held it tenderly like a small pet you had accidentally kicked across the room...

Stroking its lid like the now crooked ears of that same small pet...

You felt guilty for abandoning the box... it seemed to tremble... and then suddenly it spoke... "It was a damn CVS!!"...

You threw the box across the room in fear and disgust like a small pet that had accidentally peed on you, but you realized it was just a dream... you had probably just gotten extremely sick from running around in the rain... you were relieved it was just a hallucination.

Or was it really just a simple hallucination... and why did you keep thinking about throwing small pets across the room?

You put the box back in closet next to that sweater you still hadn't returned... you felt shame for letting the box trouble you so... and also not returning that damn sweater... tired and damp, you went to the refrigerator and found some old Pad Thai noodles... hopefully not the same noodle from five years ago... was it really five years ago?... it seemed like just yesterday...

You managed to force thoughts of the box from your mind... for months and months you succeeded in ignoring it...

Then ten days ago, you came home and with out a thought walked into the bedroom closet and opened the box.

Everything disappeared... the closet, the world... everything was enveloped in misty blackness...

You panicked and turned to run, but your legs flailed in the air... you tumbled forward and caught the edge of the doorway, your hands grabbing the carpeting... you pulled yourself out of the netherworld, dragging yourself bit by bit back into the bedroom... 

In fear and confusion you looked back to see a dull red light in the center of void... pulsating... beckoning...

It spoke... it shouted... "Bring me a box of Hostess Cupcakes!!"

You slammed the door shut...

Now you were never going to be able to return that damn sweater you thought...

And now for eight days you have been talking into that void... mostly telling it to shut the hell up about the damn cupcakes... you don't even know where to get Hostess Cupcakes... you could probably get them from Amazon, but that's a ripoff because they are like three times what a store would charge.

Yesterday the void asked you how your day was and you told it, but you didn't think it really cared and it was just making conversation.

Still... at least now you have a good reason not to return the sweater...

Who knows... maybe having a closet with a disembodied evil entity at the center of an endless void isn't so bad... it definitely is a conversation piece.

Only time will tell.

But yeah... hopefully it's not that sort of void... and more the metaphorical one... though the endless closet void could be interesting too... 

Whatever... to be honest, Pinterest creeps me out more... at least with the formless entity you know where you stand.

Anyway...

I hope it works out and you got some sleep.

Cheers!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...when I read stories, I often see the scenes happening in my mind as if I were watching a film.  That was very entertaining.

I also see colours and imagery in instrumental music without having to resort to any illicit mind altering substances and easily pick up on the emotions of others. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

you McGyver are the only reason I sometimes read this thread yes

And just like that, the void had become an ocean...

This discussion has been closed.