Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited April 2022

LeatherGryphon said:

Horo said:

LeatherGryphon - Do you have the System Utilities - Windows Sysinternals by Mark Russinovich? If not, get them (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/). I have them on my Win2000, XP, Win7 and Win10 installed. If you cannot get them (they ought to be available for free), tell me.

No, I didn't have it.  But now I do, or will shortly. Thanks for the tip.yes

Yeah, I know, there's a lot of Microsoft books and info I've never read.  I stopped memorizing computer manuals after I left the corporate world with its shelves of UNIX manuals.  I think at one time I could have recited some volumes of the HPUX (HP's version of UNIX) manual set, word for word.  Back in those days they sent you the manuals after you paid your $50,000.00 for your computer.smiley  And in many cases there was nobody to teach you about the machine, you had to read and understand the manuals.cool  Fun times.  The software universe was still knowable.  

Complaint:  Arghhhh... I was afraid that I'd killed "George".crying  Turned out to be a bad SATA cable!surprise  I'd been working happily with just an SSD attached for the system.  But it's a small SSD (256GB) and my usual practice is to provide a larger spinning hard drive (HDD) for backups and PagingSpace.   Not particularly needed on this machine because it will probably see very little use in whatever's left of its life, but putting PagingSpace on an HDD instead of the SDD avoids numerous massive writes to the limited write-life of SSD.  But everytime I tried to boot with both the SSD and the HDD attached the system would freeze during POST.frown  Then I mixed up the cables (both red, both the same length, both new, identical cables) and I couldn't even get it to boot with just the SSD attached.  It turns out that there is a short in one of the brand new cables.  Once I'd reasoned out that the only things left that could cause the problem being the motherboard or the cables or I had fried both drives somehow, I was able carefully test the drives in another machine and found them still OK.  So it was down to the motherboard or cables.  I started swapping SATA ports and swapping cables and voila!  Found a bad cable!  Oy!  First time I'd ever found a bad SATA cable.  Well, they were cheap.frown

It is not necessary to treat SSDs as though they are fragile.  Yes, they do have a limit of writes.  But you will not exceed them because you simply don't do enough work to exceed them.  That's not an indictment, either; SSDs are THAT robust.  In fact, you're not likely to exceed it in your, my, and KK's life expectancies.  And I'm planning to live to 2050.  No, I would not put backups on them, but I WOULD WOULD WOULD put swap, page, and other system files on them.  The types of access that Windows does to and from virtual storage is ideally suited for benefit from an SSD.  So put your whole OS on an SSD and don't look back!

Edit:  I would not put backups on them only because my backup sets regularly exceed 10 TB and I'd rather use less-expensive media for backups.  That choice has nothing to do with write-life-expectancy.

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited April 2022

...another matter to watch out for when putting a newer GPU on an old system is does the BIOS support it?  After getting a 12 GB RTX 3060 I discovered that even with the recommended factory BIOS update (issued many years ago), for my old P6T MB (which has PCIe 2,0 slots) it would only pass a standard VGA signal through. So, back in the box the 3060 went until I upgrade the rest of the system as the Titan-X does work (albeit with less VRAM (thanks to Optix always being in "on" status) . Not about to tinker around flashing the BIOS with a third party update and likely screwing everything up.

Complaint, ,back to winter with highs only in the 40s and wet to very wet for the next few days. Fortunately no frozen water from the sky forecast...yet. Am wondering if the volcano which erupted near Tonga in January has anything to do with this. 

Last year we had red flag wildfire warnings posted in mid April.

line break.jpg
    700 x 3 - 1K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

After about a week of trying to get this simulation figured out, I've finally got it to a usable state. Still a lot of work that needs to be done, though.

• LeatherGryphon said:

The inflated cat! surprise  Is that going to be a new DAZ prize?yes

I thought that's what NFT's were.  "Nothing Fricking There"

• kyoto kid said:

...when I read stories, I often see the scenes happening in my mind as if I were watching a film.  That was very entertaining.

I also see colours and imagery in instrumental music without having to resort to any illicit mind altering substances and easily pick up on the emotions of others. 

This is a gift.  I have much the same, except with music and colors, it's harder to do ever since I learned ballroom and Latin dancing.  Now my ear, brain, and body want to translate music into movement.  Which is also a gift, as far as I"m concerned!

• LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  I give up!  Late last night I tested that supposedly bad SATA cable that I thought had been affecting my boot POST while working on "George".  It works just fine!surpriseangry 

Also, a complaint that during the process of reviving George I thought that I had determined that one of the two short 4x- PCIe slots on the motherboard was kaput.  That also is not true.surprise  The motherboard and SATA cable are both working just fine (except for confirmed death of the integrated LAN circuits, killed by lightning 10 years ago).  Nice to know it's OK, but now I'm struggling to explain why I was mistaken about the cause of POST problems.sad  If there's a short or open in the SATA cable perhaps I just need to flex it a bit? ...  Been there, done that.  Nope, didn't fail.indecision  Regardless, I've used a Sharpie to mark the cable "BAD?" so someday if the system starts boogering up, I'll have a left a clue.enlightened  Or I may replace it completely if I find another long one or when George gets into a case and could use one of my shorter cables.  Or I could just order more long cables.enlightenedblush

Non-complaint:  Despite still being homeless, George is working just fine, quick, zippy, quiet, cool.  A very nice household machine.    But I'm shopping for a new case for MommaBear to move into so that George can move back into his 14 year old HP Pavilion a6619f case.  I'm sorry if this sounds like an old geezer's nostalgic blathering, but I think HP made some handsome looking cases back then 10-14 years ago. (See link below)  Yeah, they're HP but if you can get your hands on some old HP Pavilion tower systems from that era, especially the higher end models with at least 8GB RAM and supports a CPU upgradeable to 4-cores, then old HP machines can be made suitable for basic work, without frustrating lag, in the 3rd decade of this century. (Well, at least the late 2nd decade.)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01549568

I know you love this stuff, and I wouldn't want to take that away from anybody, but this is why I don't play.  If a cable goes bad, I swap it.  If it later tests okay (and yes, I can test all cables except for those with a USB-C end as well as some video cables), it goes in a box.  If I have a LOT of that same kind of cable, I just junk it.  For SATA cables, I have probably 20-30 cables.  I don't play because it's not worth it.

I also don't buy no-name cables from the checkout line at Wallgreens, CVS, 7-Eleven, or Wawa stores.  Those have a very high failure rate.  As I say, I don't play.  Life is too short.

• TJohn said:

I don't think it's fair that only roosters get to start the day screaming.

My friend, they crow ALL DAMNED DAY.  When I moved into my neighborhood in the mid-00's, there was a rooster that we would hear from 10 am until sundown.  And sometimes he would crow in the middle of the night!  I don't know if rooster meat is tough and gamey, but I was just about ready to try it back then, until one day the crowing just didn't happen anymore.  No, I didn't hear him being choked during mid-crow, but that would have been hilarious, LOL.

And then about 5 days ago, I was in the front part of my community when I heard a rooster crow from the (ahem) "housing development" next to me.  My community has homes and paved driveways, and our driveways are made of real poured concrete; not with with cinder blocks holding up cars without tires.  But that neighborhood next to us DOES have "stacked" driveways of that type.  I can't imagine the people who have to live in that part of my neighborhood and hear that rooster all damned day.

Now if I had a few acres off in the middle of nowhere, I might indeed have chickens and a rooster.  Why not?  I wouldn't mind hearing them if they belong to me.  But in a subdivision where everybody's house is @ss to armpit close to each other?  It's just rude.

Say, does anybody know the answer to my question?  Is rooster meat edible?  Inquiring minds (with capable hands and wringing skills) want to know!

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

Subtropic Pixel said:

TJohn said:

I don't think it's fair that only roosters get to start the day screaming.

My friend, they crow ALL DAMNED DAY.  When I moved into my neighborhood in the mid-00's, there was a rooster that we would hear from 10 am until sundown.  And sometimes he would crow in the middle of the night!  I don't know if rooster meat is tough and gamey, but I was just about ready to try it back then, until one day the crowing just didn't happen anymore.  No, I didn't hear him being choked during mid-crow, but that would have been hilarious, LOL.

And then about 5 days ago, I was in the front part of my community when I heard a rooster crow from the (ahem) "housing development" next to me.  My community has homes and paved driveways, and our driveways are made of real poured concrete; not with with cinder blocks holding up cars without tires.  But that neighborhood next to us DOES have "stacked" driveways of that type.  I can't imagine the people who have to live in that part of my neighborhood and hear that rooster all damned day.

Now if I had a few acres off in the middle of nowhere, I might indeed have chickens and a rooster.  Why not?  I wouldn't mind hearing them if they belong to me.  But in a subdivision where everybody's house is @ss to armpit close to each other?  It's just rude.

Say, does anybody know the answer to my question?  Is rooster meat edible?  Inquiring minds (with capable hands and wringing skills) want to know!

Rooster =chicken and chicken is chicken , older the bird the tougher it is but not gamey ,just the difference between a broiler and a boiler/stewing bird . My grandparents had a chicken farm for awhile ,egg layers and meat birds ,ate them all.....I raised chickens for a while in my teens ,when the grandparents showed up gram immediately had the roosters killed ,cleaned and in the freezer .......

• McGyver said:

NylonGirl said:

McGyver said:

Whatever... I'm gonna assume it's something else.

Communications related... not like you opened some cursed ornate iron box that a crazy one eyed old lady you ran into on a dark street entrusted you with... 

It probably started years ago, when you got out of work late and were heading to that fusion Asian restaurant to pick up some Pad Thai... suddenly all outta nowhere she comes... all up in your face, smelling like mothballs and Ultra-Strength Bengay...

(Me going on about something crazy... Blah, blah, blah, etc, etc...) 

Who knows... maybe having a closet with a disembodied evil entity at the center of an endless void isn't so bad... it definitely is a conversation piece.

Only time will tell.

This is what happened. And I found an awesome new outfit and hairstyle. 

Wow... I got that right?...

You always get it right.  You have some mad-wizard clairvoyance skills there, for sure.  Creeps me out.

• Gordig said:

It's funny to me how often sci-fi movies include a plot point where a character has to use a match, because matches are obsolete NOW, let alone hundreds of years in the future. I feel the same about revolvers. 

Hey, if you need something that will go "bang" when you NEED it to, nothing beats a revolver.  But they won't stop zombies.  Don't ask me how I know.  surprise

• Okay, I don't like complaining.  But...

Complaint:

Dear McDonald's:

Please stop asking everybody on the broken-radio 2-way in the drive-through, "Will you be using the app today?" Or "Would you like any hot apple pie today?"

No we won't and no we don't!  Stop raising impediments and blockers to our attempt to get through your drive-through without posing unnessary delays for us or the people behind us.  We just want our McNuggets or small fries or Big Mac, we want it now, and we really don't want to be stuck in your long slow line.  Just take our order, throw our food thru the open window, and keep the row of cars moving,  We have stuff to do!

Thank you very much.

Signed, The Guy Who Only Gets a Small Fry If it's Not Breakfast Time

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Subtropic Pixel said:

Okay, I don't like complaining.  But...

Complaint:

Dear McDonald's:

Please stop asking everybody on the broken-radio 2-way in the drive-through, "Will you be using the app today?" Or "Would you like any hot apple pie today?"

No we won't and no we don't!  Stop raising impediments and blockers to our attempt to get through your drive-through without posing unnessary delays for us or the people behind us.  We just want our McNuggets or small fries or Big Mac, we want it now, and we really don't want to be stuck in your long slow line.  Just take our order, throw our food thru the open window, and keep the row of cars moving,  We have stuff to do!

Thank you very much.

Signed, The Guy Who Only Gets a Small Fry If it's Not Breakfast Time

All of the above and stop putting the single damn menu board right next to the broken intercom and the second I roll up to it you ask me "What would you like today"... to which I've often answered "A second menu board further down the driveway so don't have to memorize the menu beforehand"... 

Seriously, there is an 80+ foot driveway, you can't have a second (large) menu board facing traffic so people can see what you have and put that long drive-thu wait to good use by being ready with my order when they get to the intercom?... and no, I don't want or use the stupid App, because if I was using the stupid data mining app, I'd not be in the drive-thru, I'd have ordered my Pigeon McNuggets ahead of time and just walk in and pick it up... granted, I'd have to get out and use my legs, but if I did it would be way quicker to order ahead, park (or just drive into the place and get out, grab a random "order ahead" order and drive out), take my order and go... there must be a reason I'm in the drive-thru... mostly McDonalds, or any fast food is not premeditated... or at least overly premeditated... usually I'm nearby and I realize I'm hungry and my caveman brain is like "me need food... red and yellow clown burger down road... must eat now"...

Furthermore the point of the drive-thru is I'm probably driving and it's not a great idea to bust out my phone and start perusing the internet for artery clogging restaurants while I'm driving down the highway... and if I was going to use the app, wouldn't it make more sense to allow me to pick up my order at the drive-thru window, instead of parking and walking in?

Regardless of all that, there is probably a reason I'm in the drive-thru (unless it's Taco Bell or Whitecastle, then it's less of a "reason" and more of a self destructive act), so just put big menu boards up that I and my passengers can read from a few feet away and stop putting the menu board right next to the intercom where people order... and even more important, stop angling half the damn board away from the cars in back... it's not a secret that only those who finish the quest should get to see... I don't need the menu board to have a folded look like a real menu... I need it to be clear, to be able to read it, order and get the hell out of there.

Also... fix the damn ice cream machines... and KFC... if you are out of everything, close the store and go the hell home... you are wasting my time with me asking for stuff and you saying "sorry we are out of that item"... if you have one damn buttermilk rat-fur biscuit left, just say that to begin with.

And Wendy's... how do you screw up two items... that's not a complex order... 

I don't get the menu board stuff, because it's a really only a thing with newer restaurants or "made over" ones... my guess is they want to piss you off so you'll turn to the app... because everything has to have a data mining app... older restaurants used to have at least two menu boards for people waiting in line... sometimes two intercoms to speed things up... now they are like cheating out and making the experience worse... (unless its Taco Bell or Whitecastle, in which case you've pretty much given up already and hardly notice the marginal difference of "worse").

And don't get me started on the menu boards that are actually screens that keep changing... there is a special place in hell for whoever designed that little nugget.

Ok.

I'm done.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,110

I'm starting to think those grass like seedlings look like grass for a reason.

EDCED659-5730-4F07-8E5C-AA5B1BE7B58A.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
    514AC0F0-E8C8-4EBF-BB7F-E924B28B9CB4.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
    ED518242-F300-4D2B-A570-B44276182822.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 4M
    B21A77DD-21BC-43E1-A3A6-2FFEBFF8BFAA.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 4M

Subtropic Pixel said:

LeatherGryphon said:

...sort of like the old Marvel Comics "No Prize".

.. weather complaint:

Well, so much for my comments from yesterday on the forecast  There is a winter weather warning up for tonight and tomorrow morning calling for frozen water from the sky, up to two inches of the stuff (which of course will paralyse the morning commute) and more at higher elevations. 

The forecast for Wednesday morning indicates the same.  This has to be the latest I've seen the white stuff forecast since I moved here 33 years ago.  Wasn't in the 60s and 870s just a few days ago? Am I still in Oregon or was I secretly kidnapped back to Wisconsin while I slept?

Crikey there are leaves on most of the trees now.  I can understand this in Wisconsin, but here in Oregon the normal temperatures are supposed to be in the low to mid 60s this time of year, not low to mid 40s. 

So much for saving on the heating bill for the next four to five days.

kyoto kid said:

Subtropic Pixel said:

LeatherGryphon said:

...sort of like the old Marvel Comics "No Prize".

the cake is a lie? 

The ice cream sandwich is cold.

62626DAB-3ACD-407B-A237-08BA0217D348.jpeg
    640 x 480 - 106K
    5BB4A16F-7B9F-4BC0-A9A0-62E8ED9D199C.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 4M

...the weather outside is cold.  Only 39° (officially) and it's about 13:40 here. . Woke up to about an inch or so of white stuff covering streets and sidewalks,.  "Fortunately" that has all been washed away by icy cold drizzle. 

Going to need to pull the winter coat and scarves out of the closet again a I need to be somewhere today.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

The cake is a fake and the pie is a lie.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited April 2022

Non-complaint:  Happy time!  MommaBear has seen her new house.  She hasn't moved in yet, but the computer case arrived last week and the rest of the new parts arrived this morning. Yay!smiley

However, when she was kicked out of her case by Titan, he also claimed her fans, power supply, LED lights, DVD r/w drive and a couple of her hard-drives.frown  But now she has all that and more.  I got her a new 1TB HDD, a new DVD r/w drive, a new LED strip, and a new front panel memory card reader, with 3 USB3-A, 1 USB3-C and an eSATA panel.  Ooh, ports.yes

Pictures below are: 1) the case.  2) the pile of boxes with a naked MommaBear sitting on top.  3) MommaBear completely wired on my lab bench with all fans, drives, and lights completely wired up but unhoused.   Yeah, kinda gross looking but I wired her up out of the case to make sure I had all the right cables and she all worked before I start stuffing the new case with her.surprise

What a pain!  I need a bigger bench.  Also, I have so many LED devices and the motherboard only has one RGB header.  I don't have a fan or RGB hub so I had to scrounge and tinker for a while to find all the proper length and sex connectors and adapter cables to get the fans and LED wired up.  Yes, I verified that I'm not overloading my fan or RGB header current limits.

I've been sitting here hunched over my lab bench all day.  My back is killing me, my eyes are blurry, I'm tired.  Time to quit for the day.  Time to listen to the news to see if the world has blown up yet.frown

Tomorrow I'll finish MommaBear(real name "Janus"), and now that she's out of George's case he can move back into it.  But I have to replace the original HP power switch (dead LED) first.  I found one on ebay and it also arrived today.  So later this week or so, George can come out of retirement.  Wheee...smiley

DSCN3859.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 130K
    DSCN3860.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 120K
    DSCN3862.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 194K
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

What some call the Neon Bar is what we call the T-Mobile store.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

THE TOP RACK IS BOWL-SHAPED. THE BOTTOM RACK IS PLATE-SHAPED. WHY IS THIS SO CONFUSING FOR YOU?!?!

edited April 2022

kyoto kid said:

... I need to be somewhere today.

All of us are always "somewhere", so remember... "no matter where you go... there you are".

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited April 2022

Gordig said:

THE TOP RACK IS BOWL-SHAPED. THE BOTTOM RACK IS PLATE-SHAPED. WHY IS THIS SO CONFUSING FOR YOU?!?!

Because its mathematically impossible good sir...

According to Philonides of Laodicea's theory of Rackular Dynamics, for a bowl shaped rack to exist in three dimensional space, it must be comprised of inconsumable parallel arrayed rackular elements occupying the colinular topological space... given the nature of the rackular elements composition, the subset of B (Bowl) and P (Plate) become defined by their juxtaposition to the indiscreet invariant properties of R (Rackular elements/Rack), thus given that P= Z , this defines the set of integers, so the family orientation of R becomes relevant to all finite subsets of the integers plus Z itself which becomes the conduit for axial alignment to the galactic plane and therefore Z becomes a postaxial derivative of W ÷ kH x Q, as such Q deflects the monodromy properties of complex-valued functions forcing P to orient below B relative to W in Euclidean space... or W + (p+r) = Z + (r+p) = {P+R} x {Z | W} =  over banana. 
    Clearly the Bowl Shaped Rack cannot exist in Euclidean space above a Plate Shaped Rack without throwing into disarray all perceptions of thermodynamics and linear time flow.

It just can't be... the math says so or "triangular over banana", a fundamental pillar of super science and bleeding edge physics is wrong.

But I invite you to force your Bowls into your Plate shaped rackular spaces and see what happens.

Science is not as forgiving to heretics as the return desk at Walmart... you can't undo a quantum implosion like you are returning a pair of underwear that don't fit well.

You would do well to keep this in mind.

Good day to you.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025
    edited April 2022

woke up to -12C (10f) and snow .. and its sticking..

kyoto kid said:

...the weather outside is cold.  Only 39° (officially) and it's about 13:40 here. . Woke up to about an inch or so of white stuff covering streets and sidewalks,.  "Fortunately" that has all been washed away by icy cold drizzle. 

Going to need to pull the winter coat and scarves out of the closet again a I need to be somewhere today.

Post edited by hacsart on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

McGyver said:

Gordig said:

According to Philonides of Laodicea's theory of Rackular Dynamics, for a bowl shaped rack to exist in three dimensional space, it must be comprised of inconsumable parallel arrayed rackular elements occupying the colinular topological space... given the nature of the rackular elements composition, the subset of B (Bowl) and P (Plate) become defined by their juxtaposition to the indiscreet invariant properties of R (Rackular elements/Rack), thus given that P= Z , this defines the set of integers, so the family orientation of R becomes relevant to all finite subsets of the integers plus Z itself which becomes the conduit for axial alignment to the galactic plane and therefore Z becomes a postaxial derivative of W ÷ kH x Q, as such Q deflects the monodromy properties of complex-valued functions forcing P to orient below B relative to W in Euclidean space... or W + (p+r) = Z + (r+p) = {P+R} x {Z | W} =  over banana. 
    Clearly the Bowl Shaped Rack cannot exist in Euclidean space above a Plate Shaped Rack without throwing into disarray all perceptions of thermodynamics and linear time flow.

It just can't be... the math says so or "triangular over banana", a fundamental pillar of super science and bleeding edge physics is wrong.

But I invite you to force your Bowls into your Plate shaped rackular spaces and see what happens.

Science is not as forgiving to heretics as the return desk at Walmart... you can't undo a quantum implosion like you are returning a pair of underwear that don't fit well.

Good day to you.

Aha!  It all makes sense, now!  After all...42.

Dana 

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

McGyver said:

I believe such a phenomenon could occur if a portion of the finite space were replaced with an infinite space... or perhaps a void... basically anywhere you can dump a whole lot of dishes.

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

And that's why we don't have a dishwasher - we do them the old fashioned way.. it avoids a temporal and quantum disruption of earth shattering proportions..

McGyver said:

Good day to you.

Voids are not helpful.  There are people here who talk to the void spewing their words into it willy-nilly, thus it isn't void anymore.indecision

Complaint:  Speaking of voids, I've found a black-hole under my lab bench.surprise  I dropped a screw and it fell into the black hole and will never be seen again.frown  No amount of flashlights or knee crawling helped.  It's just gone.  Poof!sad

Non-complaint:  It was an unusual screw, but I had an extra one, so no biggie.yes

edited April 2022

MommaBear report:  MommaBear is in her new house and working.  Yay!smiley  However, her backside is wide open and all her tousled wires are springing out.  I'd show a photo, but it's too shocking!  Now, the hard part.  Getting all those wires to lay flat behind the back sidepanel.frown  I admire neat cable management, but hate doing it.   (*sigh, just cast it all in resin*)devil  I like this case, well constructed, but it has a couple of unfriendlies.  The space behind the motherboard partition is too small, hard to squeeze connectors into that narrow space.  The headphone/microphone cable from the front panel is about 1/4 inch too short.  Had to stretch it.frown  The space behind the HDD trays is too small, for straight connectors and too close to the bottom for 90 degree connectors.frown  Crimped power wires is the result!  angry

DSCN3866b.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 325K
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
This discussion has been closed.