Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited March 2022

So I just realized that now that I've gotten that Utopia pack, I have to go and assemble a library folder for it in Cinema 4D.  Which took a couple hours to do with the "City Streets" pack  indecision

Making a content library is the easy part; just load the scene, reset the coordinates for all the kit pieces, then drag them into the browser window and it'll save them out.  The problem arises though in that the Content Browser will render the thumbnail black if non-native materials are used (As in, Octane Materials)  so I have to render out a custom thumbnail for each object individually, and then set that as the thumbnail one by one xD

Screenshot 2022-03-30 012603.jpg
    888 x 647 - 123K
    Post edited by Rezca on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited March 2022

... about 6 months of a subscription would have pretty much paid for the old perpetual licence plus the Daz plugin.  

Yeah, those sets are nice but not tempting enough to get me to drop 80$ a month ad infinitum.  Clo (Marvellous Designer) went the same route so lost interest in it as well. Disappointed because I understand it's approach to creating 3D clothing much batter than using a traditional modeller (I have a very old version that doesn't have anywhere near the features the software currently has).

Seems software companies found their cash cow by attaching a vacuum hose to users' wallets.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

Rezca said:

So I just realized that now that I've gotten that Utopia pack, I have to go and assemble a library folder for it in Cinema 4D.  Which took a couple hours to do with the "City Streets" pack  indecision

Making a content library is the easy part; just load the scene, reset the coordinates for all the kit pieces, then drag them into the browser window and it'll save them out.  The problem arises though in that the Content Browser will render the thumbnail black if non-native materials are used (As in, Octane Materials)  so I have to render out a custom thumbnail for each object individually, and then set that as the thumbnail one by one xD

Thanks for posting this, I wish I'd known it was this easy a long time ago. I only have the KB3D sets that they've given away, but there are some that I'd definitely buy if I had a use for them. One of my future projects is to get more into actually rendering with C4D, so this would be a huge help.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

kyoto kid said:

Seems software companies found their cash cow by attaching a vacuum hose to users' wallets.

At the same time they are shooting themselves in their foot as the subscription model effectively shuts out the hobbyists and people that would be interested in learning how to use it. 

edited March 2022

kyoto kid said:

Yeah, those sets are nice but not tempting enough to get me to drop 80$ a month ad infinitum.  Clo (Marvellous Designer) went the same route so lost interest in it as well. Disappointed because I understand it's approach to creating 3D clothing much batter than using a traditional modeller (I have a very old version that doesn't have anywhere near the features the software currently has).

No that's Vray that's $80 a month,   Octane tops out at $30 and that's only if you have a computer with more than two GPU's working in conjunction. Otherwise it's just $20 if you only have one/two GPU's.

PerttiA said:

kyoto kid said:

At the same time they are shooting themselves in their foot as the subscription model effectively shuts out the hobbyists and people that would be interested in learning how to use it. 

Cinema 4D was $3,500 for a perpetual license and only shaved maybe 10 or 15 percent off that when it was upgrade time, which was every year and a half to two years. Now they still do that but now they offer a $94 a month subscription as an alternative and this was the only reason I was able to get back into 3D art since that initial cost there was the price of a whole high-end computer. I am a hobbyist, and their offering a subscription was all that I could get without massive amounts of 'Don't spend a dime for a year or two'. 

SpeedTree just put out a $19 a month version explicitly for hobbyists, since all their "If you have a lot of income or are a big team" prices are ten or twenty times as much and their perpetual is around $1,500.

If anything the "Perpetual, But With A Maintenance Fee" route is more of a vacuum since it was basically a subscription tacked onto the perpetual license:  You get the software forever after one very high upfront cost yes, but once that year's up you lose all support, all updates, and sometimes additional features unless you keep paying another high price every year. Unless you plan on buying once and never upgrading again, most subscriptions are cheaper by a huge amount compared to perpetual and/or Maintenance in the long run.

I'm totally fine with subscriptions when the companies offer an alternitive,  like you can still get Substance off Steam for $150 each and Maxon still offers Cinema 4D for $3,500, but when its pure subscription the price and software has to be pretty good to make me want to look into it.

I'd prefer a perpetual over a sub too most of the time, but it's easier for me to afford a few subscriptions than it is to bundle up some highly priced programs then keep updating them at similarly high prices every time.  That's just me though, and I understand everyone's financial situations are different. At least with perpetual you can slowly save up then tank the drain all at once then forget about it.

Post edited by Rezca on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

Hey!  Rezca looks different!   smiley

Dana

edited March 2022

DanaTA said:

Hey!  Rezca looks different!   smiley

Dana

The digital me!  Sort of~

I just need to get the head a bit different since the big 'crest' doesn't exactly fit him, but I'll get around to that... Someday xD

I absolutely fell in love with the Wyvern 2.0 when I first saw it, eventually basing my character's design off it~  Ignore the fact I drew the head too long; I do that all the time ;A;  Even when I draw Rathalos/Rathian, it's always a big long snoot when their heads are more blunt and short xD

raethalis-wyvern-ref.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 255K
    Post edited by Rezca on

Which reminds me, I really need to get into Substance and give the wyvern a good painting.  I keep putting that off and painting dinosaurs instead xD
    Honestly, it'd be pretty fun to give some older models a good loving.  New skins for people to play with!  I'd love to make new skins for models then share them with folks, since painting is so much fun and relaxing.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Sfariah said:

I am at my doctor appointment.  I'm waiting for the doctor to do some paperwork I need.

I hope the Dr. can help you with that shinking problem. (unless that is a giant chair you're sitting on)

edited March 2022

Aaah had to revert my Wacom drivers because it was causing problems in Photoshop.  Strokes would randomly just stop working and I'd need to switch to my mouse briefly just to 'reset' the brush.  And the driver didn't solve the problem in Substance either so reverting was the best course of action.
    I forget which driver version I was using before, but the one I picked up now reintroduced the "Oh, you closed Photoshop? The driver for your tablet is going to stop working now until you restart the computer or Stop-then-Restart the Driver in the services app"  problem that plagued me for so long.  It's not lethal, but super annoying frown

*Photoshop version is the old CS5 permanent,  and the tablet is an Intous 4.  If either makes any difference. Both old little relics xD

Post edited by Rezca on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited March 2022

...@ Rezca, thank you for the information on the price . It was late, watched two much news, was tired.

However one of the other things I read a while bak in the description is that it seems you have to remain online while working as they sell a special dongle for those with the professional version to be able to work in offline.mode (which costs 55 USD and  had to be updated every 6 months). That was my other beef.   I have never have the net connection in Daz open as I don't use Daz Central as well as close the browser and Net connection during work sessions to save as much in system resources as I can.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited March 2022

kyoto kid said:

...@ Rezca, thank you for the information on the price . It was late, watched two much news, was tired.

However one of the other things I read a while bak in the description is that it seems you have to remain online while working as they sell a special dongle for those with the professional version to be able to work in offline.mode (which costs 55 USD and  had to be updated every 6 months). That was my other beef.   I have never have the net connection in Daz open as I don't use Daz Central as well as close the browser and Net connection during work sessions to save as much in system resources as I can.

Yeah the Always Online can certainly be a major drawback depending the situation :(  
    Where I lived previously network stuff was never reliable. A single rain shower could kill our internet.   Lived way out in the hills smack in the middle of a forest. Beautiful place, but anything internet-related was.... Tough.  

Also for a long time we were on a plan that had a strict quota with how much internet you used, so online games were a no-go most of the time, and I had to invest mostly in books and stuff for my learning material as online courses and youtube sometimes could be a problem as the streaming would really cut into our limited internet use. That much got better later on, but the finnicky internet from being in the middle of nowhere didn't.

Post edited by Rezca on
  • Rezca said:

Finally got something up!

The various DAZ Dragons and their respective release dates all on display :>

I like this a lot!

• kyoto kid said:

...well it's baseball season. No dog in the fight and don't really care about any of the teams. If Purdue made it I would be pulling for them as they are Big Ten.

Saw a Boilermaker football game in Lafayette Indiana once.  Also saw a University of Michigan game in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  The Purdue game was amazing.  The U of M game was more like a galaxy-wide event of major proportions.  If you have a choice, see the U of M game first.  That should be on everybody's bucket list anyhow, of course.  wink

Those Wolverines love them their home games!

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

Subtropic Pixel said:

Rezca said:

I like this a lot!

I still haven't figured out if these are 3D printed or if this is all a CG rendering. Either way, it's nice. 

• TJohn said:

World's Easiest Riddle:

What looks like a dog?

A dog!  Okay, what do I win?

• PerttiA said:

kyoto kid said:

I'm going to release stuff and call it my "NoSub" line.  I think I'll make a killing selling things only with perpetual licenses.

• Will be planting my garden this weekend, yay!

But that reminds me, I need to get the backyard/pool area cleaned up, yikes!

edited March 2022

Subtropic Pixel said:

Rezca said:

I like this a lot!

Aaaah thanks ;v;   

NylonGirl said:

I still haven't figured out if these are 3D printed or if this is all a CG rendering. Either way, it's nice. 

CG rendering!  I used Octane to render it, and did want to make it look like they were figurines -  like with a stand keeping the SubDragon propped up and whatnot :>  

Thank you too!

Post edited by Rezca on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

Did you cancel your Redshift subscription, or do you just use different engines for different purposes?

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442

Plants and I have agreed that I shouldn't care for them.  Although that little patch just to the right of my little porch is my only place to have any flowers.  It used to be occupied by a big rhododendron bush(almost a tree by time it was cut down) but has sat weeding for two years.  Yeah, it gets cut by the mower but it's still not really grass yet.  But it's in deep shade all day long.  The rhododendron did OK because it was tall enough to get some light part of the day.  But the ground is in deep shadow all day.  

Any ideas?   Sunflowers are probably out though.frown

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,110

Somebody thought that this forum distracted me while working on stuff at home.  That is not true.  I get help for Daz Studio.  I also enjoy the humor in this thread and ones like this.

edited March 2022

Non-complaint:  ROFL  I watched an old b/w WWII movie last night.  Story begins in 1946 after the war, as a retired soldier arrives at at small foreign town, goes into the little Catholic church, sees the priest at the front of the chuch and calls out "Father Pablo?".  The priest turns around and it's not the expected person.  The soldier asks "I came to see Father Pablo, where is he?".  And the reply that I heard was "He's been arrested for aiding American soldiers during the war".  But the sub-titles (I always watch with sub-titles on to compensate for hearing loss and to provide translation for British English shows) provided the best entertainment of the night.  The sub-titles were provided by computer automation which works OK sometimes, but can go wonky easily.  What I saw in the sub-titles was "He was arrested for eating American Soldiers during the war."laughlaugh

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Gordig said:

Did you cancel your Redshift subscription, or do you just use different engines for different purposes?

Cancelled it in favor of looking at a different engine,  with the two I was looking at the most being Arnold and Octane.  I eventually decided on Octane since it 'out of the box' provided some of the looks I was after quicker, and was $15 cheaper (Arnold being 35/m or 350/y  to Octane's 20/m)

I liked working in both though and it'd be nice to take the former for a spin again some time but if and when I do it'll probably be a sub-then-cancel  Annual so it's out of mind and stuff, and without any "paying for months I'm not using" if you will. 

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,110

I wanted to find a particular picture of a fish eating a cigarette.  I thought it was part of my ten thousand plus photos on my iCloud storage.  I can't remember when I downloaded it.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

Sfariah said:

I am at my doctor appointment.  I'm waiting for the doctor to do some paperwork I need.

good luck.  I go see my cardiologist next month.  Maybe he'll be able to diagnose why my chest and heart feels weird.  Hopefully I just need a new prescription.

starionwolf said:

Sfariah said:

good luck.  I go see my cardiologist next month.  Maybe he'll be able to diagnose why my chest and heart feels weird.  Hopefully I just need a new prescription.

Aaah hopefully that's nothing serious D: 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

Rezca said:

starionwolf said:

Sfariah said:

Aaah hopefully that's nothing serious D: 

What he said!

Dana 

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

LeatherGryphon said:

Plants and I have agreed that I shouldn't care for them.  Although that little patch just to the right of my little porch is my only place to have any flowers.  It used to be occupied by a big rhododendron bush(almost a tree by time it was cut down) but has sat weeding for two years.  Yeah, it gets cut by the mower but it's still not really grass yet.  But it's in deep shade all day long.  The rhododendron did OK because it was tall enough to get some light part of the day.  But the ground is in deep shadow all day.  

Any ideas?   Sunflowers are probably out though.frown

I'm definitely going to try river rocks one day. 

Hmmm... interesting idea.yes  I know they don't require much care or eat much.  But where would I find a breeding pair of river rocks?  What's their rate of gestation?indecision

This discussion has been closed.