Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

I see what I did wrong. I installed the trial instead of the Octane version. Now it seems to be working just fine.

OK, now I followed the proper procedure for WorldCreator, and after I enter in my Otoy credentials, it says "not licensed" and exits.

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited April 2022

Gordig said:

I see what I did wrong. I installed the trial instead of the Octane version. Now it seems to be working just fine.

Aah good to know!

Gordig said:

OK, now I followed the proper procedure for WorldCreator, and after I enter in my Otoy credentials, it says "not licensed" and exits.

I wouldn't know how to help there, since I'd already bought a license for World Creator before I even started using Octane  ^^;

Post edited by Rezca on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited April 2022

McGyver said:

Gordig said:

It's funny to me how often sci-fi movies include a plot point where a character has to use a match, because matches are obsolete NOW, let alone hundreds of years in the future. I feel the same about revolvers. 

How about revolvers with silencers?... That bugs the hell out of me.

I don't know about matches going entirely extinct though... in common use, probably... but I can see them sticking around a long time... maybe in survival packs or Jr. Pyromaniac kits... there are certain circumstances where a lighter isn't the optimal fire delivery system... I suppose those high intensity electric heating element type (glow coil?) lighters would work in those situations... but those have batteries and batteries die... 
    I have a couple of emergency kits around and I keep waterproof matches in them because I've had perfectly good butane lighters that have been in storage go dead or near dead after sitting around for a few years... it's rare, but I feel properly stored waterproof matches are simpler.

Also, I hope your power is restored without further complications.

...there were three successful models of silenced revolvers, the Nagant M1895 which existed prior to WWI and more recently, teh Russian OTs-38 Stechkin and a variant of the Smith & Wesson Model; 29.  The latter two are known as QSPR (Quiet Special Purpose Revolver) weapons which use specially designed ammo.. The Nagant used a mechanism that moved the cylinder forward when it is cocked which closed the gap between cylinder and barrel thus preventing escape of propellant gases.  The OTs 38 and S&W use silenced ammunition that fires tungsten balls from a shell case that uses a piston to drive a sabot containing the balls forward.  All three revolvers can take advantage of sound suppressors. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

kyoto kid said:

McGyver said:

Gordig said:

It's funny to me how often sci-fi movies include a plot point where a character has to use a match, because matches are obsolete NOW, let alone hundreds of years in the future. I feel the same about revolvers. 

I don't know about matches going entirely extinct though... in common use, probably... but I can see them sticking around a long time... maybe in survival packs or Jr. Pyromaniac kits... there are certain circumstances where a lighter isn't the optimal fire delivery system... I suppose those high intensity electric heating element type (glow coil?) lighters would work in those situations... but those have batteries and batteries die... 
    I have a couple of emergency kits around and I keep waterproof matches in them because I've had perfectly good butane lighters that have been in storage go dead or near dead after sitting around for a few years... it's rare, but I feel properly stored waterproof matches are simpler.

...there were three successful models of silenced revolvers, the Nagant M1895 which existed prior to WWI and more recently, teh Russian OTs-38 Stechkin and a variant of the Smith & Wesson Model; 29.  The latter two are known as QSPR (Quiet Special Purpose Revolver) weapons which use specially designed ammo.. The Nagant used a mechanism that moved the cylinder forward when it is cocked which closed the gap between cylinder and barrel thus preventing escape of propellant gases.  The OTs 38 and S&W use silenced ammunition that fires tungsten balls from a shell case that uses a piston to drive a sabot containing the balls forward.  All three revolvers can take advantage of sound suppressors. 

Hmmm...

I always kinda figured you for an assassin, but I wasn't entirely sure... 

Till now.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,110

I thought gun silencers aren't to silence the gun completely but to muffle the sound?

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

Sfariah said:

I thought gun silencers aren't to silence the gun completely but to muffle the sound?

No, that's what potatoes are for. 

Sfariah said:

"Silencer" really is a misnomer, because a "silenced" gun is still very loud.

I somehow cut my finger on my razor this morning. I had to replace the bandage before I left home because the first one was wet.  I haven't figured out to keep bandages on my fingers as I wash my hands a lot.  (For the last few years, hand washing is highly recommended.)

I can't get my avatar to show the Easter basket!

37574565-1A3B-45E2-95FA-0BE53E1CA85C.jpeg
    1242 x 1958 - 844K

NylonGirl said:

Sfariah said:

No, that's what potatoes are for. 

Just a heads up... don't try it with mashed potatoes... it's really messy and not at all effective.

McGyver, so true.  Also don't use it with rotten potatoes as I think that won't be effective and it will spray yucky, moldy potatoes everywhere.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Non complaint; The Asus GeForce DUAL-RTX3060-O12G-V2 went in without a hitch. smiley

I think that 3dsMax is too big to download on my hotspot?

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442

PerttiA said:

Non complaint; The Asus GeForce DUAL-RTX3060-O12G-V2 went in without a hitch. smiley

Wheee...yes 

Spent the last few days trying to wrangle a very complex simulation, tweaking settings, caching and recaching the sim, until I finally got it where I want it...only to discover that there's no way I'll be able to mesh it cleanly. 

edited April 2022

McGyver said:

kyoto kid said:

McGyver said:

Gordig said:

Hmmm...

I always kinda figured you for an assassin, but I wasn't entirely sure... 

Till now.

...actually my research into weaponry was for role play games.

The OTs-38 was issued to Soviet special agents.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

When I think of Russian spies I think of Natasha Romanova.

When I think of Russian spies...

Ah... I better not go there... 

My current sentiments would not allow me to write anything particularly TOS compliant or remotely funny.

Think happy thoughts... think happy thoughts... think happy thoughts... 

How about a male spy in a speedo racing suit to show off how well his exercise routine has been going for him?  Or maybe Dwayne Johnson playing a spy but only wearing a big towel around his waist?

Oops! I better stop before I get distracted on making my bookshelf and organizing my room!

C74646DF-9C1D-4CC2-B651-6F151CC319A3.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 4M
    DD597051-D17D-4E40-96AC-9C8B76CC936E.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
    4C2FA1C5-D990-45A8-BB7F-3E6265B7C3B5.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 3M

...well had a couple a lovely days here but that is about to change abruptly. 66° on Wednesday  and yesterday the warmest day of the year so far at 76° under sunny skies.  Was supposed to rain all day to day but that didn't happen however it's about 20° colder..  Tomorrow through to Monday wind and rain with temperatures struggling to get out of the 40s.  Guess winter ain't quite done with us yet. even though it's been almost 3 weeks since Spring supposedly began.

Of course could be worse, could be Wisconsin where they are getting snow right now. 

Or the southeast which is being pummelled by severe storms and tornadoes.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

oh look, another sale.  I bought most of the items that I wanted during March Madness.

Complaint:  @#$&@%§£!? GPU prices.

Right before GPU prices started to shoot up I was ready to upgrade my crappy computer (a 2015ish i7 Dell XPS 8700 with a stock GTX 745 card)

I mostly make models, I don't really do "artistic" renders... generally, I'll make a render of something I made for someone else, make a nice render of a model I made for some personal project, or promos if it's a freebie or I render something stupid as a joke. Rarely do I render anything that takes hours... I prefer to use post work if I can get away with it because my computers have always been kinda lame.

Anyway... I was happy with spending $150 - $250 for a slight upgrade... Something like a GTX 1650... it would be nice to get a more complicated render a teeny bit faster... especially since some of my models are pretty big and complex sets... and it would be nice to add trees which hog up resources.

Unfortunately, I got greedy and was thinking of getting maybe better than a 1650, and of course you can't just can slap any old GPU into an older computer... connectors and power supplies etc., all gotta work... so I started looking into what was the best upgrade for the price and hopefully not having to change the power supply (Like for an RTX 3050, I'm pretty sure I'd need to change the PSU to 500W and it doesn't seem like any old 500W unit will fit)... so that required more research and the internet sucks for that... unless you are researching the most popular thing, it's just a slog of dead links and false hopes... (by that I mean where you type something like type in one thing and the search result shows a discussion that seems to mention what you asked for but when you visit the page, it's not... Like XPS 8700 or RTX 3050 isn't actually mentioned in the OP, just someone who post later mentions it in passing)... lots of time wasting there.

So I kept putting it off... making notes here and there, but mostly putting it off... Then the prices shot up.

I probably should have gotten something simple and cheap then, or asked for help on these forums instead of researching it on my own, because I still wanted to get the best for the cheapest and at that point the price increase was really only effecting high end $1K + GPUs and the cheap cards were only a little more expensive...

Yeah, that changed quickly.

So I was like "eff that" when I next looked at the cards I was thinking of getting... which weren't even in stock... which kinda blows my mind because to anyone besides me, those are probably garbage cards... like what the hell were people doing with them... hoarding them?

So now everyone is like "Ooooh yippee, GPU prices are going down... Whooohooo!" But I'm like "yeah, no."

Yeah, a $1700 card is only $100 - $200 more, and actually available... which is totally acceptable to someone looking to get one ASAP.

But the cards I was looking at are still $80 - $150 more than they were... and these are not cutting-edge cards... they all came out years ago.

$260 for $160 card from 2016 kinda sucks... 

I wish I didn't write down the average prices back then... now cards like the RTX 3050 are starting to look more attractive, mostly because I didn't bother to write down the price back then and $329 at Micro Center (there's is an actual store near enough to me that I can drive to it and actually get one) seems way more acceptable... only thing is I'd probably have to get a new PSU and I don't know if it it’s compatible with my stupid computer… 

I wish I could just walk into Micro Center and tell someone what I wanted, what my budget was and what computer I had, like I used to… maybe it was a better experience because back then I had Macs and the Mac people might have been more enthusiastic about the product, but I was always satisfied… the last time I tried that with Windows based help, I was thoroughly impressed by how wrong they were… 

Bah.

Complaint over.

Actually... no... I've tried 5 (so far) times to post this but the forums keep Bad Gatewaying... 

WTF... Grrrrrrrrrr!

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Non-complaint; We had 14hours of daylight today smiley

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393

Haven't been on the forums much since there's not been much that I felt like saying, and the few times I had come on there was a Bad Gateway that told me to go away :P

So uh there's my complaint for the day I guess~?

Recent sale was a non-complaint disguised as a complaint, since it struck when I wasn't in the position to be spending oodles of noodles on it haha

The green stuff in my pots are growing bigger.

D5162672-F4D2-45EC-9A7D-98F21F0A202D.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 4M
    6D9C8E63-19A2-4FF3-B214-5647C9289764.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 4M
    1DF74729-A931-4C7A-837F-9E4BF0870BC1.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 4M
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442

Sfariah said:

Aww, what cute little cotyledons.smiley 

LeatherGryphon said:

Sfariah said:

Aww, what cute little cotyledons.smiley 

Yep! Thanks! 

edited April 2022

One of my snails got close to the jackpot of algae.  Barely ate any before giving up it seems.

Post edited by Sfariah D on
    edited April 2022

Why is algae so easy to grow in aquariums?

Post edited by Sfariah D on
This discussion has been closed.