Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

I'm to busy studying to post any 3D renders.  Maybe I'll make another quick test render soon.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

I've been too busy with other projects to even think about a DS render. I've been spending most of my time over the last few days getting increasingly frustrated with Marvelous Designer. 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442

Isn't it wonderful that there are so many wonderful softwares that make us feel ever more frustrated.indecision

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

LeatherGryphon said:

Isn't it wonderful that there are so many wonderful softwares that make us feel ever more frustrated.indecision

Yes! And we need even more!

edited April 2022

Complaint:  Spring Cleaning:  The weather outside's delightful, the aromas they're so insightful.  Spring has sprung and I find myself in the midst of undirty-ing obscure corners of my house.  Yesterday I needed to get to something way in the back of my closet under my staircase.  That meant unloading everything that was in there, battling my way through the cobwebs (dead dusty spiderwebs), while hunched over, breathing who-knows-what type of dust in the air.sad  But while I had the closet cleared out, I ran the vacuum cleaner in there.  Sucked up all the dust and fragmenting 80 year old linoleum flooring.  Slurped up all the cobwebs (and a few spider skins & even some live spiders) and repacked all the crap back into the back of the closet, rehung all my heavy coats and leather, then stood back and congratulated myself for getting off my ass for an hour.indecision  But wait..., there's more!

Today I started making breakfast, opened my silverware drawer to get a spoon and discovered little rice sized brown mouse turds all over the insides of the drawer and you know, that where they poop, they also peecrying.  There's no food in there but I think they had a party in there anyway. angry  Mice are apparentlty getting active in this nice weather too.  But I've fixed it.  My drawer insides and my other  kitchen surfaces have now been disinfected and there are freshly washed silverware and kitchen utensils laying out everywhere drying.indecision

Non-complaint:  Mousetraps have been set.  Wha-ha-ha (*evil cackle*)

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

a long time ago someone said that my older renders look dull.  I think I should install some poses and facial expressions then modify the poses and expressions after I apply them to the figure.

I'm too tired to do any cleaning now.  Maybe later.  Need to throw away some old junk mail and empty boxes too.

LeatherGryphon said:

It's not all bad. I'm taking it as an opportunity to spend more time with Houdini, which I've been meaning to do anyway. I don't know if it will replace C4D for me, but hopefully it can replace MD.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...isn't Houdini "traditional" modelling software?

MD does require a different approach, one I personally found to be more intuitive as I used to work in theatrical costume design.  I'm stymied when it comes to using a traditional vertex/polygon modeller to create "soft" items which need to move with a character like clothing.

Granted I have a fairly old version of the programme before many new features were added and it went subscription only.

edited April 2022

Wow!  "...spending more time with Houdini"...  Good luck with that.yes  Although from what I remember, he never came back as he'd promised.  Or at least, perhaps not until now?  You got special glasses or something?indecisiondevil

kyoto kid said:

...isn't Houdini "traditional" modelling software?

Not at all. Houdini is entirely procedural, which gives it quite a learning curve, but it is exceptionally powerful once you can wrap your head around it.

...so how is it similar to MD as MD takes the task oc modelling clothing from a clothing maker's aspect?

Not that I'm going to try it as it's expensive (I also am not into subscription software) and the change to Blender's UI and tools, it learning curve for Blender no longer makes me feel I'm free climbing El Capitan while wearing oven mitts.. 

kyoto kid said:

...so how is it similar to MD as MD takes the task oc modelling clothing from a clothing maker's aspect?

Not that I'm going to try it as it's expensive (I also am not into subscription software) and the change to Blender's UI and tools, it learning curve for Blender no longer makes me feel I'm free climbing El Capitan while wearing oven mitts.. 

I was making clothing in C4D using the same basic methods as MD before I ever gave MD a try, and you can do the same thing in Houdini. Houdini also has probably the most powerful cloth simulation engine outside of MD, and possibly even rivaling it. Also, there's a free version of Houdini.

edited April 2022

79571A81-54C4-48B9-B2F5-1F98E2123D66.jpeg
    1125 x 330 - 81K
    Post edited by Gordig on

Gordig said:

kyoto kid said:

I was making clothing in C4D using the same basic methods as MD before I ever gave MD a try, and you can do the same thing in Houdini. Houdini also has probably the most powerful cloth simulation engine outside of MD, and possibly even rivaling it. Also, there's a free version of Houdini.

...from what I understand, Houdini makes the latest version of Blender look easy.  Don't feel like trading the oven mitts for boxing gloves and adding a raging blizzard to the climb.

Your understanding was also that Houdini was a traditional modeling app, so you might want to update your understanding.

...the learning curve still sounds daunting. I've heard others talk about it being very difficult to learn as well. 

I only began working with Blender after 2.80 when they finally added a pointer and icon based UI which allowed me to concentrate omopre n learning teh complexities of modelling instead of having to also figure out the UI with all the hotkey commands (as well as trying to memorise them which never seemed to stick). 

edited April 2022

Complaint:  My memory has lost it's sticky too.sad  Thoughts are like ashes of paper rising from a bonfire, big, bold, black, floating right there in front of me, then when I go to touch it, it fragments and drifts away.  If I don't finish a thought before I have enough clues on paper or out of my mouth, the whole thing gets buried in noise and can't be recalled without serious remembering activity.frown  I have a terrible time responding to people's conversation because I'm too polite.  I wait for them to finish speaking and by then I've forgotten the point I was going to make, two thoughts ago.no

edited April 2022

Rotential complaint:  Yesterday I had to clean up after the mouse party in my silverware drawer.  After which I set out four traps baited with peanut butter.  This morning I find four, empty, unbaited, unsprung traps and a couple more turds in my silverware drawer.frown  I'm dealing with a fat, taunting pro here.no

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

LeatherGryphon said:

Rotential complaint:  Yesterday I had to clean up after the mouse party in my silverware drawer.  After which I set out four traps baited with peanut butter.  This morning I find four, empty, unbaited, unsprung traps and a couple more turds in my silverware drawer.frown  I'm dealing with a fat, taunting pro here.no

Yeah... Those traps are pretty much useless.

In here the mice move in when the temperatures start getting below freezing in the late autumn, I used to feed them lots of laced goodies but then EU came up with the idea that those goodies are fed to people as well and now you have to have a licence to buy the good stuff.

Fortunately I found some traps meant for "rats", which are just big enough for our mice. They look like a box open in one end and the bait is placed at the other end and when the mouse gets in, there is a guillotine that traps the mouse. Those have been pretty good.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,689

PerttiA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Yeah... Those traps are pretty much useless.

In here the mice move in when the temperatures start getting below freezing in the late autumn, I used to feed them lots of laced goodies but then EU came up with the idea that those goodies are fed to people as well and now you have to have a licence to buy the good stuff.

Fortunately I found some traps meant for "rats", which are just big enough for our mice. They look like a box open in one end and the bait is placed at the other end and when the mouse gets in, there is a guillotine that traps the mouse. Those have been pretty good.

We're using bigger ones for rats as well, but the live-catching ones. No need to kill a creature for just living its life, right? Also, it's not such a pretty sight, after ... - cryingDepending on the type of mouse, you'll not get very far with sweet, sugary stuff, they might be ones who are after insects and worms and such. Maybe try something meaty instead, a piece of sausage, bacon, or even the traditional cheese. Strong smelling stuff is often preferred.

Good hunting!

edited April 2022

a few weeks ago I found a cute garter belt in my runtime library.  I forgot the name and location of the belt.  I can't even find the Daz scene file of Genesis wearing the garter belt.  I guess I'm getting old because I can't remember things very well.

update: I found the garter belt and panty.  I did not find the scene after looking through my "My Documents" folder.  Maybe I forgot to save the .duf file??  Ok... gonna recreate the scene from scratch.  It will only take a few mintues since I have a similar scene that I can load.  Just swap out the clothes and adjust the lights.

Post edited by starionwolf on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

All living creatures are free to live their happy little lives until they try to move into my home.

I'm very territorial, so...angry

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393

kyoto kid said:

...the learning curve still sounds daunting. I've heard others talk about it being very difficult to learn as well. 

I only began working with Blender after 2.80 when they finally added a pointer and icon based UI which allowed me to concentrate omopre n learning teh complexities of modelling instead of having to also figure out the UI with all the hotkey commands (as well as trying to memorise them which never seemed to stick). 

Can always give the Learning edition a try;  nothing lost except for time spent.  Might always be that chance it somehow will 'click' for you.  I've spoken with people that found Blender amazingly easy to get into - pre 1.8 Blender at that - when they tried and failed to learn Maya, Cinema 4D, and Lightwave while almost everyone else I see would be tearing their hair out trying to delete that cube they accidentally put into the scene in that same situation.  I could never figure out Vue or Bryce but I see so many people go on and on about how simple Vue is to get into.   We're all different,  and even though I have some weird phobia of zBrush TODAY, when I got the program seven years ago it only took me an hour to get comfortable with the odd navigation methods and sculpt out a dinosaur.  The horror stories about the program seemed odd to me at that point since I managed the basics just fine. (Today's a different story mind you but that's not the point)

Few Houdini tutorials I found that seemed simple enough to understand:

For a non-subscription Houdini, they have a Free version (If you're making less than 100k with it a year)  with some limitations, or a perpetual version for $2,000 ~ $4,500.  I'm too tired to look into what the differences are between the three or four different editions they have but there you go I guess.

https://www.sidefx.com/buy/#houdini-indie

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited April 2022

Gordig said:

I've been too busy with other projects to even think about a DS render. I've been spending most of my time over the last few days getting increasingly frustrated with Marvelous Designer. 

I just recently ran into some frustrating troubles with  Substance Painter myself.  Tried exporting out a model in Cinema 4D and Substance complains for all but one format and that format it'll import but in an unpaintable and unusable state.   Collada complains about the header or something expecting <content> to be there,  and OBJ gives me a  "string  <nan, nan, nan"   followed by a list of vertex coordinates so long it almost crashes Substance...  But FBX it'll load just fine.  At the cost of the UV's being off-canvas so it can't be painted.  I can load existing textures onto it and they'll even display fine - but I can't do anything meaningful to the model myself :/

Post edited by Rezca on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

LeatherGryphon said:

Sounds like deer mice... they are pretty small and light and really good at not tripping traps... That or ninja mice.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Pretty much like dis...

...haven't seen any posts from Sfariah lately. 

On the news tonight there was a report of a multiple shooting at a mall in Columbia SC.  Am just a bit concerned as I know she works at a mall in SC.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636
    edited April 2022

Major Complaint: The power supply plug for the external drive where I have (had) nearly all my DAZ Studio content installed came loose. When I restored the drive it was assigned a new letter and windows won't allow assigning the old letter. But even if I could assign the old letter to the drive the folder where all the content was stored is nowhere to be found.

So, Basically I have to uninstall the content with DIM and then reinstall it to the drive with a new letter. With over 30,000 products this could take weeks  cryingcrying

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

One of the most remarkable things about cats is their finely tuned sense of exactly where you DON'T want them to be.

...indeed. That happened at our gaming session on Saturday, One fo the cats at the hose where we play decided my dice rolling tray looked like the perfect place to sit and watch what was going on. 

This discussion has been closed.