Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

Charlie Judge said:

Major Complaint: The power supply plug for the external drive where I have (had) nearly all my DAZ Studio content installed came loose. When I restored the drive it was assigned a new letter and windows won't allow assigning the old letter. But even if I could assign the old letter to the drive the folder where all the content was stored is nowhere to be found.

So, Basically I have to uninstall the content with DIM and then reinstall it to the drive with a new letter. With over 30,000 products this could take weeks  cryingcrying

...ugh.  Do you have a backup you can restore from? 

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393

kyoto kid said:

Am just a bit concerned as I know she works at a mall in SC.

+1 in hoping she's okay

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited April 2022

Charlie Judge said:

Major Complaint: The power supply plug for the external drive where I have (had) nearly all my DAZ Studio content installed came loose. When I restored the drive it was assigned a new letter and windows won't allow assigning the old letter. But even if I could assign the old letter to the drive the folder where all the content was stored is nowhere to be found.

So, Basically I have to uninstall the content with DIM and then reinstall it to the drive with a new letter. With over 30,000 products this could take weeks  cryingcrying

Assuming you've done a filesystem check & repair, but did it report any orphaned files?  If so, there might be some of the stuff you're looking for.  Check the logs for orphaned files.indecision

Also, regarding your driveletter problem, log in with administrative privileges and menu to "This_PC-->Manage-->Storage-->DiskManagement" to invoke the DiskManager to apply a big hammer to the stuck driveletter by deleting the boogered partition entry.  But if it only shows grayed out options, then to remove or fix it you'll have to invoke "diskpart" manually (see link below)  to completely remove the whole drive from the list by using the "clean" command

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/diskpart-delete-all-partitions.html

Be careful using "diskpart", it's a big gun and shooting your foot off will probably extend up the leg to the really important parts.surprise  Make sure you have a copy of any good data.

NO, WAIT, STOP!  I just realized you seem to be complaining about the drive letter not clearing from the Windows10 list of drives?  What I suggested above with the "clean" command will completely erase your data!!!! and clear the partitionletter for reassignment but it will hurt when you do that so don't do that, until you have a proper copy of your data.enlightened

What does your "Disk Management" list look like with your repaired partition attached to the system?  Also, what does it look like without the repaired drive attached to the system?  Does the stuck drive letter stay in the list even without the drive attached???surprise 

I thought I knew how to fix this, but now I'm not sure.  Something is still hanging on to the old driveletter.  Anybody know another trick to release a stuck driveletter?

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636

LeatherGryphon said:

Assuming you've done a filesystem check & repair, but did it report any orphaned files?  If so, there might be some of the stuff you're looking for.  Check the logs for orphaned files.indecision

Also, regarding your driveletter problem, log in with administrative privileges and menu to "This_PC-->Manage-->Storage-->DiskManagement" to invoke the DiskManager to apply a big hammer to the stuck driveletter by deleting the boogered partition entry.  But if it only shows grayed out options, then to remove or fix it you'll have to invoke "diskpart" manually (see link below)  to completely remove the whole drive from the list by using the "clean" command

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/diskpart-delete-all-partitions.html

Be careful using "diskpart", it's a big gun and shooting your foot off will probably extend up the leg to the really important parts.surprise  Make sure you have a copy of any good data.

NO, WAIT, STOP!  I just realized you seem to be complaining about the drive letter not clearing from the Windows10 list of drives?  What I suggested above with the "clean" command will completely erase your data!!!! and clear the partitionletter for reassignment but it will hurt when you do that so don't do that, until you have a proper copy of your data.enlightened

What does your "Disk Management" list look like with your repaired partition attached to the system?  Also, what does it look like without the repaired drive attached to the system?  Does the stuck drive letter stay in the list even without the drive attached???surprise 

I thought I knew how to fix this, but now I'm not sure.  Something is still hanging on to the old driveletter.  Anybody know another trick to release a stuck driveletter?

Well, I was able to fix the drive letter in disk management by first removing the 'old' drive; then I could reassign the letter to the 'new' drive  However, the folder with my DS content is still completely missing and checking the disk did not find any errors. So, I still have to use DIM to uninstall all the products and then reinstall them.

edited April 2022

Oh, OK.  Never mind.blush  But let's not have any more sax and violins on TV.devil

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

kyoto kid said:

...haven't seen any posts from Sfariah lately. 

On the news tonight there was a report of a multiple shooting at a mall in Columbia SC.  Am just a bit concerned as I know she works at a mall in SC.

Nope she lives in North Carolina ,Raliegh

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

PerttiA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Rotential complaint:  Yesterday I had to clean up after the mouse party in my silverware drawer.  After which I set out four traps baited with peanut butter.  This morning I find four, empty, unbaited, unsprung traps and a couple more turds in my silverware drawer.frown  I'm dealing with a fat, taunting pro here.no

Yeah... Those traps are pretty much useless.

In here the mice move in when the temperatures start getting below freezing in the late autumn, I used to feed them lots of laced goodies but then EU came up with the idea that those goodies are fed to people as well and now you have to have a licence to buy the good stuff.

Fortunately I found some traps meant for "rats", which are just big enough for our mice. They look like a box open in one end and the bait is placed at the other end and when the mouse gets in, there is a guillotine that traps the mouse. Those have been pretty good.

Rat traps... Geez, what are you feeding your mice in Finland?

Are they just portly and rotund or more burly and muscular?... I don't know why, but I'm picturing fat surly mice with an alcohol problem... something like small football hooligans with tails.

I use live traps to catch mice, mainly because my daughters don't want me mouse murdering... and two, because my wife doesn't like when use I use explosives in the house (regular mousetraps are boring).

Most people don't want to collect mice though or make them tiny homes (I don't know if anyone remembers the Corky saga from last year), so that's not for everyone I suppose... but if you don't really have to worry about someone at home complaining about it, collecting mice can be an interesting side gig... mice are pretty smart and can be trained to do your bidding... if you collect enough of them you could have your own mouse army.

At first it would be a lot of work training them and you'd have to rule them with an iron fist... but in time they'd come to respect and fear you... serving without question, and carrying out whatever orders you command them to fulfill.

With successive generations, they'll come to worship you as a god.

Of course one day there'll be that one mouse who'll reject you and lead a rebellion against you... usually a gladiator mouse... you'll try to make an example of him, but all the other mice will all be like "I am Mouseacus" and you have no choice but put them all in a sack and throw them through the open bedroom window of your most annoying neighbor so they can deal with it.

Granted sometimes it doesn't go that way and you'll need two sacks or you'll decide to mail the mice instead... but it always ends in rebellion.

Generally though, its a fun learning experience and you do get to wear a crown and be called emperor, so that's a plus.

Seems it was just that one model that was being mean.  I tried a few other models and they all import fine, though I just noticed one is like, has inverted normals or something?  If I display the material in anyuthing but Full Rendered mode it renders like everything's facing the wrong way....

carrie58 said:

kyoto kid said:

On the news tonight there was a report of a multiple shooting at a mall in Columbia SC.  Am just a bit concerned as I know she works at a mall in SC.

Nope she lives in North Carolina ,Raliegh

...thanks, wasn't sure.  

edited April 2022

McGyver said:

PerttiA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Rotential complaint:  Yesterday I had to clean up after the mouse party in my silverware drawer.  After which I set out four traps baited with peanut butter.  This morning I find four, empty, unbaited, unsprung traps and a couple more turds in my silverware drawer.frown  I'm dealing with a fat, taunting pro here.no

Yeah... Those traps are pretty much useless.

In here the mice move in when the temperatures start getting below freezing in the late autumn, I used to feed them lots of laced goodies but then EU came up with the idea that those goodies are fed to people as well and now you have to have a licence to buy the good stuff.

Fortunately I found some traps meant for "rats", which are just big enough for our mice. They look like a box open in one end and the bait is placed at the other end and when the mouse gets in, there is a guillotine that traps the mouse. Those have been pretty good.

Are they just portly and rotund or more burly and muscular?... I don't know why, but I'm picturing fat surly mice with an alcohol problem... something like small football hooligans with tails.

I use live traps to catch mice, mainly because my daughters don't want me mouse murdering... and two, because my wife doesn't like when use I use explosives in the house (regular mousetraps are boring).

Most people don't want to collect mice though or make them tiny homes (I don't know if anyone remembers the Corky saga from last year), so that's not for everyone I suppose... but if you don't really have to worry about someone at home complaining about it, collecting mice can be an interesting side gig... mice are pretty smart and can be trained to do your bidding... if you collect enough of them you could have your own mouse army.

At first it would be a lot of work training them and you'd have to rule them with an iron fist... but in time they'd come to respect and fear you... serving without question, and carrying out whatever orders you command them to fulfill.

With successive generations, they'll come to worship you as a god.

Of course one day there'll be that one mouse who'll reject you and lead a rebellion against you... usually a gladiator mouse... you'll try to make an example of him, but all the other mice will all be like "I am Mouseacus" and you have no choice but put them all in a sack and throw them through the open bedroom window of your most annoying neighbor so they can deal with it.

Granted sometimes it doesn't go that way and you'll need two sacks or you'll decide to mail the mice instead... but it always ends in rebellion.

Generally though, its a fun learning experience and you do get to wear a crown and be called emperor, so that's a plus.

And the flunk outs from your mouse army would be sent off to be trained for the "Mouse Organ" by Ken Ewing and his Musical MIce.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2pnoyy

edited April 2022

Non-complaint:  My mouse won't be going to Ken Ewing or anybody anymore.  I found him this morning with peanut butter still on his cold stiff lips.  Mwaa-ha-hadevil  Not as "pro" as he thought!indecision

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

i had to cancel the doctor's appointment for Monday because the Nor'easter is bringing lots of rain.

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

A PSA.. if you live near RR tracks, stay off them. today across from our place someone was walking on the tracks with earbuds in, and was hit from behind and killed by a potash drag.. Engineer seriously laid on the horn, and went into emergency, but....
    My real sympathy is with the crew.. that's not a good experience, and I know of several engineers that ended up with PTSD and never ran a train again, RR put them on other jobs..

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013
    edited April 2022

McGyver said:

PerttiA said:

Just regular house mice, length about 3-4 inches without the tail, but they don't fit in traps sold for "mice". The same with rats, which my mother has managed to attract with the birdfeeder, they are the size of small cats and don't fit the "rat" traps... I got some traps meant for minks and a bb gun to finish them off, but no luck so far.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Non-complaint; 15 hours of daylight tomorrow smiley

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,110
    Error I forgot to do some thong?
    kyoto kid said:

Wrong mall because it is the wrong state.
    Sfariah said:
    Error I forgot to do some thong?
    Wait? What happened to that one and only thong. I don't know why I have that one?
  • Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited April 2022

Charlie Judge said:

Stop, stop, stop!  Windows only won't let you use the drive letter because it thinks there's a drive with that letter ALREADY ATTACHED.  Figure that out, then unmount it and you should be good.  Don't be uninstalling planet Earth; that's just a waste of time.  Look for thumbdrives, CDs, or even zip, ISO, or backup files that you might have open.  If so, they might be "mounted" to Windows and just got assigned the letter you wanted.  That's probably your problem right there.  And if you still can't find it, then reboot with nothing extraneous plugged in.  I'll bet the drive letter you want to use then becomes available.

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • Subtropic Pixel said:

Charlie Judge said:

Stop, stop, stop!  Windows only won't let you use the drive letter because it thinks there's a drive with that letter ALREADY ATTACHED.  Figure that out, then unmount it and you should be good.  Don't be uninstalling planet Earth; that's just a waste of time.  Look for thumbdrives, CDs, or even zip, ISO, or backup files that you might have open.  If so, they might be "mounted" to Windows and just got assigned the letter you wanted.  That's probably your problem right there.  And if you still can't find it, then reboot with nothing extraneous plugged in.  I'll bet the drive letter you want to use then becomes available.

lol, I wrote the above advice from my Mac, which doesn't have drive letters.  I find that quite funny, even though I still love Windows.  wink

• LeatherGryphon said:

Oh, OK.  Never mind.blush  But let's not have any more sax and violins on TV.devil

A priceless quip from Perry Mason, the TV series.

Accountant:  "I've compiled the information you requested."

Famous piano player fella:  "Well?"

His accountant:  "You're broke."

Piano player trying to be humorous:  "There are lots of ways to be broke."

"You're all of them.  Fini, Kaput, Hasta La Vista."

Two minutes later, a car drives over a REALLY REALLY high cliff, tumbles multiple times before finally hitting the bottom.  It was the 1960s, so there was no fake explosion.  Just a very looonnnngggg drop; old school!

Newspaper headline:  "David Carpenter Commits Suicide", with a subheading "World Famous Concert Pianist Drives Car Over Cliff"

Smaller article on the front page to the right of the article...headline says, "Traffic Toll at New High".

LOL!

Sfariah said:

kyoto kid said:

Wrong mall because it is the wrong state.

...yeah, found out. I get those two mixed up from time to time. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884
    edited April 2022

Just opened up iTunes for the first time in quite a while, and this error message pops up:

It doesn't matter that I can't tell what those buttons are supposed to do, because none of them do anything. The window also won't go away and takes priority, so I also can't just ignore it and continue using the program. I force-quit the program and reopened it, but the window comes back immediately.

errorerror.PNG
    375 x 189 - 3K
    Post edited by Gordig on
    Friday April 15 was my birthday.

Non-complaint:  Mwaa-ha-ha again.devil  Got me another mouse, he licked the peanut butter from two traps before he fell victim to the chunk of ham jammed onto the bait plate of the third.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  Mwaa-ha-ha again.devil  Got me another mouse, he licked the peanut butter from two traps before he fell victim to the chunk of ham jammed onto the bait plate of the third.

Will you still be able to use your computers without them? laugh 

Charlie Judge said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Will you still be able to use your computers without them? laugh 

For extra income I have them stuffed and mounted with electronics, wheels & buttons and sell them as novelty I/O devices.enlightened devil

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

Sfariah said:

Oh, Happy Belated Birthday!

Dana 

Gordig said:

Just opened up iTunes for the first time in quite a while, and this error message pops up:

It doesn't matter that I can't tell what those buttons are supposed to do, because none of them do anything. The window also won't go away and takes priority, so I also can't just ignore it and continue using the program. I force-quit the program and reopened it, but the window comes back immediately.

Ouch :(

I know I've had a lot of dumb problems with iTunes in the past but nothing that bizzare...  

DanaTA said:

Sfariah said:

Oh, Happy Belated Birthday!

Dana 

Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.