Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

hacsart said:

In the UK, there's a tradition, that on the coinage the picture of the reigning monarch faces the opposite way from the previous one.. the exeption being Edward VII who said his left side was his best side..as an aside there were a few Edward VII gold sovereigns minted as proofs but then he abdicated so they never got into circulation. A couple made it into private collections and are valued at about one million pounds each..

I always figured Edward Vii (weird surname, I thought he was a Windsor) had no right side... but that makes more sense.

Also... those must have been huge coins... a million pounds... that's like close to 453,600 kilograms... where do you even keep those?

I guess it was the thirties and pay phones and bubble gum machines were bigger back then.

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

"I always figured Edward Vii (weird surname, I thought he was a Windsor) had no right side."

Truer than you might expect!

hacsart said:

"I always figured Edward Vii (weird surname, I thought he was a Windsor) had no right side."

I expect nothing and am surprised by everything.

Actually that's not true... it's less surprise than puzzlement.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    "Symbolic"? Only if orange.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...the right facing image of Washington on the current series of quarters was originally sculpted for the 200th anniversary of Washington's birthday 1932 by by Laura Gardin Fraser but was not chosen.  Instead the left  facing portrait by John Flanagan was used 

The current series of quarters commemorates notable women on the reverse side of the coin and likely was why the Fraser illustration was used.

Previously the quarter had an image of :Lady Liberty standing in an opening of a wall.

Used to be a coin collector when I was younger. Still have a few of the really rare ones including a solid silver Kennedy half dollar.

...a lot of the older coins were actually rather beautiful before they all ended up with presidents on the obverse.

Penny (Large and Indian)

Nickel (Liberty Head)

Dime (Mercury)

Quarter (seated and Standing Liberty)

Half Dollar (Walking Liberty)

Silver Dollar (Morgan and the art deco styled "Peace Dollar")

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

LeatherGryphon said:

That's what disposable email accounts are for.   i.e.  Tossing into a passing garbage truck and watch the carrion flies follow it down the road.enlightened

What has four wheels and flies?

Oh you probably have heard that one. devil 

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

McGyver said:

hacsart said:

I expect nothing and am surprised by everything.

Actually that's not true... it's less surprise than puzzlement.

Or in my case, befuddlement. 

What's hidden in the picture...?

edited April 2022

McGyver said:

Existential meaning? 

A little red, white & blue thing that looks like a luggage tag that says property of  D.B. Cooper?

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

McGyver said:

DanaTA said:

And did you notice that the president on the front of the new quarters is facing the wrong way?  Since I was a kid, the president on the quarter was facing left.  Now he's facing right.  Is this symbolic?

Dana 

Depends on when it was minted...

On the quarter I have he's minted upside down... 

Wait...

no...

I was looking at it upside down...

I fell out of my chair and forgot to reorient the coin.

laugh   laugh  laugh  

Dana

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

McGyver said:

Some kind of bird.  Can't make it out that well to identify it.

Dana 

edited April 2022

...a young duck.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited April 2022

kyoto kid said:

...a young duck.

Yup. Actually a mommy duck sitting on her eggs... if you look around her you might notice some fluffy substance... it's her down... ducks (and other birds) often line their nests with their belly down.

Her little sanctuary is in the middle of a center median at Costco... she startled the hell out of me because I went to rest the front wheels of my shopping cart on the curb (so it won't roll away) and I noticed the camouflage pattern, but had no idea what kind of bird it was... thankfully I didn't disturb her.

That was like a week ago (yeah, I check back up on her) and apparently they've added mulch and have done landscaping around her, so I guess she is okay with humans being all around her.

Ducks (in this case mallards) nest on the ground and have excellent camouflage and often you'll be doing yard work and come face to face with one... it's disconcerting because they hiss when disturbed and you usually don't expect a shrub to hiss angrily at you.

Post edited by McGyver on

I hear that farther from the coast the shrubs are much more aggressive.  Hissing is common.  Or at least the ones that attacked me were.indecision

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,457
    edited April 2022

I can't believe how bad things have become in this house. If I'm adding things together correctly, my parents have lost out on a "substantial amount of income" for (a little over) 40 years. The best part? *sarcasm* ... I (highly) doubt that they'll ever get their hands on that money.

That's three random restarts in the past half an hour. 

Yup, that rain of sh*t just keeps on falling. A part of me still thinks that I should never came back that Wednesday night.

Post edited by N-RArts on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

The only jobs I know of that can be abbreviated to PA are physician's assistant or production assistant, so either way, is the word "assistant" redundant, or are they trying to hire me as an assistant to the assistant? The "p/f" is also a little confusing, as a 14-hour work week is by no stretch of the imagination full-time. As an afterthought, I'm sure that an anonymous text message blast that links to a gmail address is how all reputable companies recruit for what is potentially a skilled position. 

9C672804-AF22-45D3-8303-FE8726EB76FE.jpeg
    1124 x 509 - 121K
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

I'm really starting to get my Houdini brain working. 

edited April 2022

Gordig said:

The only jobs I know of that can be abbreviated to PA are physician's assistant or production assistant, so either way, is the word "assistant" redundant, or are they trying to hire me as an assistant to the assistant? The "p/f" is also a little confusing, as a 14-hour work week is by no stretch of the imagination full-time. As an afterthought, I'm sure that an anonymous text message blast that links to a gmail address is how all reputable companies recruit for what is potentially a skilled position. 

PA... Penguin Assassin.

Generally they are Penguins trained to be Assassins... but occasionally you need an assassin from a different species to assassinate a troublesome penguin.

I imagine if it's an assistant position, they probably want someone who provides the penguins with logistical or tactical information. 

p/f...  "pretend full time"... it's when you pretend the number of hours worked or given to work are full time.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112
    I don't know why I'm so restricted so I can't work on my dreams?

McGyver said:

kyoto kid said:

...a young duck.

Yup. Actually a mommy duck sitting on her eggs... if you look around her you might notice some fluffy substance... it's her down... ducks (and other birds) often line their nests with their belly down.

Her little sanctuary is in the middle of a center median at Costco... she startled the hell out of me because I went to rest the front wheels of my shopping cart on the curb (so it won't roll away) and I noticed the camouflage pattern, but had no idea what kind of bird it was... thankfully I didn't disturb her.

That was like a week ago (yeah, I check back up on her) and apparently they've added mulch and have done landscaping around her, so I guess she is okay with humans being all around her.

Ducks (in this case mallards) nest on the ground and have excellent camouflage and often you'll be doing yard work and come face to face with one... it's disconcerting because they hiss when disturbed and you usually don't expect a shrub to hiss angrily at you.

...there's a little one block park near where I live which ducks often frequent. In spring it is not unusual for a pair to nest in the reeds there and have little ones.

20190425_150402.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

McGyver said:

Why is "Zoom" still a feature on TVs?... That and "Stretch"?... Do people really watch TV in those settings?

I'm pretty sure that was a thing for older CRT TVs where the aspect ratio was off or something... I don't get why that's still a feature on new TVs and from cable providers... it's more annoying than anything because occasionally either my TV or my cable box decides I need a distorted image and it sets itself to stretch or zoom.

my dad used the zoom function on the old plasma TV before he bought the LCD flat screen TV.

edited April 2022

...well just received notice from DA that a work of mine was stolen for an NFT.  

The work is one I did for an RRRR challenge a few years ago titled "Guaranteed to Clean Like a Blue Cyclone".    

Filed the report with OpenSea.  the individual goes by "ArtDesigner007" who claims to be the owner of the DAZ Poser 3D Works Collection on that site.

Entered this in an RRRR challenge back in 2014.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/47517/winners-up-rrrr-things-you-have-to-do-before-you-die-entries-only/p1 ;  (on page 2).

Work attached below:

RRRR final.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited April 2022

Interesting world in which someone can claim ownership of any old image on the Internet and try to make money from it.frown  So, what happens now?  If for some reason he has made a lot of money on your image, and if you are able to prove you are the creator, is there any recourse? If he didn't make a dime do you want everybody to know that it doesn't sell?  Or if he has found a way to market your images where you hadn't and is making lots of money, perhaps you can create a partnership.enlightened

Or has the presence of the image on the Internet washed away any ownership and it's fair game?

Personally, I'm a little miffed that I've never found any of my images perloined.sad Yeah, they're not family friendly images but from the feedback that I get, they titilate some people mightily.  But apparently not enough to throw coins at.indecision  But I'd like to know what to do if I do see one.  Any artsy image that I've created and published has one (or more) watermarks in hidden places, and I keep the original image creation files as well as a copy of the published image in greater resolution than what was published.

I mentioned my lack of theft a few months ago and someone here offered to steal one from me so that I could feel wanted.  Never saw it.  Promises, promises.frown

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • kyoto kid said:

...well just received notice from DA that a work of mine was stolen for an NFT.  

The work is one I did for an RRRR challenge a few years ago titled "Guaranteed to Clean Like a Blue Cyclone".    

Filed the report with OpenSea.  the individual goes by "ArtDesigner007" who claims to be the owner of the DAZ Poser 3D Works Collection on that site.

Entered this in an RRRR challenge back in 2014.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/47517/winners-up-rrrr-things-you-have-to-do-before-you-die-entries-only/p1 ;  (on page 2).

Work attached below:

If the image is uploaded to the vendor site it is a copyright breach, use their report system to get it taken down (OpenSea was pretty quick when someone else reproted an infringement).

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,727

First of all: have they not sent DAZ promotional mail since 17 April?

Second: I think if some corporation claims your video is copyrighted, YouTube hands any money you've earned to the corporation without any questions asked. Maybe OpenSea should do the same.

C: the ants have initiated their first attack of the season and the cats decided they like to fiddle with the ant bait.

4: I got this macaroni and cheese made out of cauliflower. It doesn't smell like macaroni and cheese. It smells like cauliflower.

V: I could have gotten away with not getting the lawn mowed, if it was just grass. But the dandelions are making it obvious the lawn hasn't been mowed. The only thing that makes it okay is the lady across the street didn't mow hers either, so we match.

I can't decide what to watch?

...received an email this morning that OpenSea took the image down from their site and is forwarding the request to the seller.  If that doesn't work I will contact the seller myself. 

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

NylonGirl said:

Second: I think if some corporation claims your video is copyrighted, YouTube hands any money you've earned to the corporation without any questions asked. Maybe OpenSea should do the same.

C: the ants have initiated their first attack of the season and the cats decided they like to fiddle with the ant bait.

4: I got this macaroni and cheese made out of cauliflower. It doesn't smell like macaroni and cheese. It smells like cauliflower.

V: I could have gotten away with not getting the lawn mowed, if it was just grass. But the dandelions are making it obvious the lawn hasn't been mowed. The only thing that makes it okay is the lady across the street didn't mow hers either, so we match.

might want to check out dandelion greens cooking ,they are edible .

carrie58 said:

NylonGirl said:

might want to check out dandelion greens cooking ,they are edible .

My mother used to make dandelion wine.  I remember a big bowl (really, pretty big, like a washtub big), festering for weeks in the back room of the house.  She even let me try it after bottling. (*blech*)  At the tender age of 12 she'd completely destroyed my desire for amateur wines. frown 

What is a pager good for?
This discussion has been closed.