Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited April 2022

Sfariah said:

What is a pager good for?

Not much anymore... they would beep to let you know you got a call... originally, (70s) they would just beep and you'd have to get to a phone and call the beeper service to find out what number to call back... later (80s) they'd display the number for you to call back... later ones (late 80s, early 90s) could display a text message and later yet (late 90s) they were capable of texting back.

Note: Doctors and hospitals still use pagers because of their good range and the fact that they can often work during a disaster or large power outage.

Also many restaurants use large flashy versions of pagers to notify customers when their table is ready.

Post edited by McGyver on

NylonGirl said:

C: the ants have initiated their first attack of the season...

kyoto kid said:

...well just received notice from DA that a work of mine was stolen for an NFT.  

That sucks... I really want to express my distaste for these individuals who do that, but the last time I did the post was vanished, so I'll just say "that sucks".

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

yep.. was tied to a pager for a good many years. If you were boxing clever, on the pagers that had text dispaly you could (if you had the proper backend) have it page and text system messages or error codes, with an asssigned severity.. gave you and idea of what wenet bust before you called in.. we only had one number to call - datacenter operations shift manager line.

McGyver said:

Sfariah said:

What is a pager good for?

Not much anymore... they would beep to let you know you got a call... originally, (70s) they would just beep and you'd have to get to a phone and call the beeper service to find out what number to call back... later (80s) they'd display the number for you to call back... later ones (late 80s, early 90s) could display a text message and later yet (late 90s) they were capable of texting back.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

McGyver said:

NylonGirl said:

THEM and Rodan were two moves that terrriefed me in my youth... (and Gorgo, and the Beast from 20000 Fathoms...)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited April 2022

TJohn said:

McGyver said:

NylonGirl said:

...ah yes the era of giant "everythng" due to atomic radiation. 

One of the names I recognise is James Arness who also portrayed Sheriff Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke

He also played The Thing in the 1950s classic of the same name. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited April 2022

hacsart said:

THEM and Rodan were two moves that terrriefed me in my youth... (and Gorgo, and the Beast from 20000 Fathoms...)

Gorgo's mom is like one of my favorite kaiju... and the movie is actually a tender and touching story of motherly love manifesting into the vengeful destruction of key London landmarks... 
    Which I'm guessing often go hand-in-hand.

Since Gorgo was named after the Gorgons (or Gorgonzola cheese... I forget), they probably should have named his mum either Stheno, Euryale or Medusa... but because they never named her, I like to think of her as "Mabel", which is both a motherly and terrifying name.

I like to think her and her little Gorgo are still chilling out at the bottom of the Atlantic doing whatever Gorgos do when they are not sinking ships, knocking down bridges and destroying circuses.

*Fun Gorgo Fact: At one point Gorgo was going to take place in France (the natural habitat of Gorgos), but individual French accents were very expensive at the time so they decided to switch the location to Australia, but then got double minded figuring nobody would actually care if Australia got destroyed because, One: Australia probably actually has Gorgos (why not, everything is giant and deadly in Australia) and they seem to be doing fine despite all  that, and two: at the time Australia didn't have any significant landmarks that anyone would recognize (with the exception of the 40 meter statue of Jonny O'Keefe wrestling a giant Platypus in Sidney harbor) and London was just lousy with landmarks everyone would recognize and secretly wanted to destroy... Allegedly, even earlier they wanted to set the movie in Japan as a tribute to the documentary film Godzilla, but apparently Godzilla got his name from the nickname of the actor who played him in the documentary film (Goro "Gorgonzilla" Takahashi, who apparently always smelled like the iconic Italian blue cheese) and Gorgo and Gorgonzilla were too similar and nobody knew where Japan really was at the time, so they gave up on that idea.

* Source: Wikipedia and beer.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442

Ooh, ooh, "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms".  One of my favorite movies.  Wonderful monster! 

The movie that scared me to shivers at age 12 while watching TV late night movie in black & white, alone with my 7 year old brother, was "Forbidden Planet".  The monster outlined in disintegration beams, and the Theramin music scared the bejezzus out of me and I was shivering uncontrollably.  But at least I stayed to finish the movie.  My brother ran out of the room.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112
    At first I thought it said "My brother ran out of the broom." Maybe he needed a new broom?

Sfariah said:

At first I thought it said "My brother ran out of the broom." Maybe he needed a new broom?

Or are you confusing it with the nursery rhyme where the fish ran away with a baboon.

Or I could be confusing it with a news story... lots of crazy things keep happening lately... hard to tell what's a nursery rhyme, a cheesy comic book plot and what's an actual world event.

Ever since Sasquatch ran for President of Mars and lost to Elvis*, I've been losing track of what goes where.

That did happen... right?

* I feel I have explain this in case someone thinks this is a political comment...

This is not political commentary, Sasquatch did not run for President of Mars and lose to Elvis, we all know he in fact lost to the Cookie Monster who later married Ernie and Burt and then abdicated his throne to the Easter Bunny because traditional Martian law forbade marriage to one or more commoners simultaneously.

Jeez.

I fear I have an unhealthy view of myself and my dreams. I am afraid I am blinded by dreams of grandeur. I guess I will have to accept that I will never be a famous author or create an animated movie company or create valuable graphic novels. Basically any future that makes any good size impact on the world.

I fear it is too late for my dreams. I fear I have to give up hope learning anything about how to improve with any computer art software.

edited April 2022

You're not alone.  Because that's a view that a lot of us experience.

I once read a thing that said: "If you think you're important, stick your hand in a pail of water.  You can splash it around all you want but when you pull your hand out, the hole that is left, is the measure of your importance."

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Sfariah said:

I fear I have an unhealthy view of myself and my dreams. I am afraid I am blinded by dreams of grandeur. I guess I will have to accept that I will never be a famous author or create an animated movie company or create valuable graphic novels. Basically any future that makes any good size impact on the world.

I fear it is too late for my dreams. I fear I have to give up hope learning anything about how to improve with any computer art software.

I think everyone has dreams of grandeur to some extent... I'm wearing a tiara and a coronation gown at the moment... I suppose I'll never be grand duchess of the Galaxy, but it doesn't mean I can't still use that disguise to confuse my enemies and bop them on the head with my staff when they turn the other way... it's important to have dreams and goals... as long as they don't involve cannibalism or overly illegal activities, dreams and goals are what give us hope and direction. And if it involves wearing a tiara and a gorilla costume (I forget to mention I'm wearing the gorilla costume too)... (it's complicated, it would make sense if I explained)... well, then it's whatever it takes to get you through... it's really never to late... not even if you are slathered in liver sauce and the locked room is full of hungry velociraptors... okay, maybe a little bit... but even then, you never know... you can always learn new things, no matter how late it seems.

doesn't the wearing of a tiara with a gorilla suit violate the sumptuary laws?

I rather be a vegan than a cannibal.
  • Sfariah said:

You can certainly keep learning how to use software, and keep improving your work. You probably won't achieve the first things on your list, but you may still be able to derive pleasure for yourself and give it to others through your art and writing.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,457

Sfariah said:

You're not the only one who feels like that. I'm going through it now too.

I love your avatar. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I shaved my hair off this evening. 

My Mum is horrified. I feel relieved. Cleansed, even... How long does hair take to grow back? XD 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Once upon a time a young man with full hair had quite ambitious plans for his future, and the beginning of his career didn't look too bad, but over the years he did come to understand that life isn't fair.

After being thrown into bottomless pit twice in twenty years, one of the things he learned, was... Happiness can be found in little things smiley

I brought my CD player with me. However when I got to the bus stop, I found out I have no CDs with me. No time to go back and get CDs as I would miss my bus. Maybe I can listen to an audio book downloaded on this device?

Sfariah said:

I brought my CD player with me. However when I got to the bus stop, I found out I have no CDs with me. No time to go back and get CDs as I would miss my bus. Maybe I can listen to an audio book downloaded on this device?

I don't know if it works that way... but then again I once tried to listen to an Eggo waffle on a record player... maybe it was just a blank waffle or it wasn't round enough... but it never revealed its secrets.
    I think the chief problem with the book would be getting it to fit, and then centered properly so it could spin fast enough.

• If the Eggo has some political figure's audio on it, I'm sure he'd be waffling on about something.

I think my friend Loki loves eating fish food as she is chubby.
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

Man I can't wait for GPU acceleration to come to Fused. The simulation I'm currently caching is set to take about six hours total.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited April 2022

...time to cook up another batch of curry chicken and veggies tonight.  

ETA:

It came out very well. I have dinners for a few nights now.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Complaint:  Arghhh... I see outside my kitchen window the air full of goose down.  This is late April, not Februrary.frown  I'd thought that geese weren't supposed to explode after March.indecision

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  Arghhh... I see outside my kitchen window the air full of goose down.  This is late April, not Februrary.frown  I'd thought that geese weren't supposed to explode after March.indecision

You have exploding geese ??!!!surprise

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

I read somewhere that pager signals from the paging tower can go inside most office buildings because they use more power than cell phone towers.

yep, and a lower frequency band as wel.. typically 137-171 MHZ

starionwolf said:

I read somewhere that pager signals from the paging tower can go inside most office buildings because they use more power than cell phone towers.

edited April 2022

carrie58 said:

LeatherGryphon said:

You have exploding geese ??!!!surprise

Only in the winter... usually.indecision   It's a tourist attraction.  Along with the ski slopes, Lake Chautauqua, The Chautauqua Institute, and the vacant furniture factories of Chautauqua county NY.yes  Come see the beautiful winter flurry of the exploding Chautauqua Geese.devil

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
This discussion has been closed.