Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

We were on a a copper landline until a year ago when our phone provider said they were disabling copper in our building to put everyone on fibre.. So we cancelled with them (their infrastructure was not the best for VOIP) and switched to our cable internet providers phone service. We still have a Nothern Telecom landline wall phone in storage .. can;t plug it in, but hated to get rid of it..

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited May 2022

I don't know what happened to my two brown Slimline phones.  The bed is long gone.sad (as is my other half.crying) but I woke up a decade or so ago and realized that I don't have an analog landline phone.surprise  Nothing but digitals & wireless & cell.  So, I went on the look for one.  I eventually found a forest green Slimline for $1 at a household sale.  Snapped it up, stuck it in a drawer where it's been for years and years.  But I have one in case of emergency, like an intruder needing to be hammered unconscious.devil

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

carrie58 said:

Not a complaint more of a confusion ,got my news email of the day and DAZ is now Daz Productions Inc . when did that happen?

Yeah... What the hell?... I thought I was just being oblivious, but I dug some older emails out and that's apparently a new thing... wasn't sure if it was a phishing expedition or DAZ having another regularly scheduled identity crisis.

Suggestion for next identity crisis...

DAZodyne Heavy Industries LTD.

DAFFY 

DAZ Super-Funtime Productions Studios LLQ

DAZcorp Three Dimensional Acquisitions 

D

The last one is pure genius because people will immediately want to know what kind of a bold, daring and energetic company pushing the technoconscious boundaries of digital simulations would dream so big as to name themselves just "D".

Then on the landing page you hit them with a hard sell NFT pitch and they melt in you hands like Hershey Kisses in a portly kid's pants pocket on a hot summer day.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

McGyver said:

carrie58 said:

Not a complaint more of a confusion ,got my news email of the day and DAZ is now Daz Productions Inc . when did that happen?

Yeah... What the hell?... I thought I was just being oblivious, but I dug some older emails out and that's apparently a new thing... wasn't sure if it was a phishing expedition or DAZ having another regularly scheduled identity crisis.

Suggestion for next identity crisis...

DAZodyne Heavy Industries LTD.

DAFFY 

DAZ Super-Funtime Productions Studios LLQ

DAZcorp Three Dimensional Acquisitions 

D

The last one is pure genius because people will immediately want to know what kind of a bold, daring and energetic company pushing the technoconscious boundaries of digital simulations would dream so big as to name themselves just "D".

Then on the landing page you hit them with a hard sell NFT pitch and they melt in you hands like Hershey Kisses in a portly kid's pants pocket on a hot summer day.

I hope they're not in his back pocket!   frown

Dana 

edited May 2022

DanaTA said:

Dana 

For comic purposes let us say yes... they most definitely are.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

McGyver said:

DanaTA said:

Dana 

For comic purposes let us say yes... they most definitely are.

laugh   laugh  laugh  

edited May 2022

LeatherGryphon said:

Don't laugh or judge, but when my other half and I were together we had a nice big King sized bed with four posts a canopy and purple velvet drapes that we could pull shut to keep out drafts.  Kinda like Ebenezer Scrooge had.yes  But we also had two Slimline phone in brown with the buttons instead of the dial, on either side of the bed wired and mounted onto the headboard/shelf/catchall thing.  I remember those Slimlines weren't cheap.frown  It was during the mid-'80s and was about the apex of development of what could be considered a "personal landline phone".  Good phones, and almost, but no longer, useful for driving nails.indecision

Okay, I am going to judge and laugh… after decades of enslaving consumers to the not even handful of choices of unimaginative designs thrust upon the masses by big fat Mama Bell, when The Great Telephonic Design Revolution finally arrived… you chose the sensible slimline design?

Bro… I weep.

No Lucite day-glow pop art phone, no hamburger phone or transparent neon lighted housing showing off the 80 year old technological workings painted in bright primary colors?

No retro antique Edison candlestick phone, no swoopy pseudo Art Deco Loewy inspired phone or even garishly opulent baroquely gilded monstrosity that even Liberace would recoil in horror from?

No hamburger phone, no Maxwell Smart shoe phone, No Garfield phone or perhaps a humble Mickey Mouse phone?

Not even a futuristic multicolor Bang & Olufsen executive phone?

Even I as a stupid teenager, the moment I was liberated from the clutches of Mama Bell, went straight to the darkest reaches of the gray market shops of Canal Street in lower Manhattan and purchased a bright red knockoff of a Thorn Ericsson Ericofon 600 that looked more at home on the set of Space 1999 than on my desk… I paid fifteen whole dollars for that phone…

It sucked so badly that I ended up throwing it out the window in the middle of an annoying conversation with an old girlfriend… she wasn’t old back then, but probably is now… I replaced that with an equally cheap desk phone that looked like something the CEO of MoneyCorp would have… lots of buttons and lights that did nothing…

And eventually I replaced that with the crapo’ phone I got when I ended up in the hospital for a week… you had to rent a phone at a stupid price, but when you left, you got to keep it… it was a ridiculous looking hunk of white plastic with a big red cross on the back… oddly despite my ill treatment of it, it lasted like fifteen years or more.

Actually I’m just messing with you about the slimline… it was a reasonable, respectable and normal looking phone.

I remember back in the mid 80s when you no longer had to rent your phone from the phone company and were free to use whatever phone you wanted… it sparked a flood of novelty and interestingly designed phones.

All over NYC you had these little phone stores that opened, selling all sorts of unique and weird phones… most were pretty crappy, but in posh Manhattan there were a few places that sold designer phones and real high end phones that made a statement about the owner… mostly that they had a lot of money and wanted a phone that looked ridiculously expensive.

That all went away by the early 90s, you could buy phones anywhere at that point, so dedicated phone stores vanished... until the early 2000s when they were replaced by the scourge of modern retail... the Mobile Phone Store... they are everywhere now... I think they open up inside other mobile phone stores too, there are so many of them... 
    Worse than Starbucks.

In fact today not counting collectors, nobody really wants or needs novelty phones… aside from a beach in France where Garfield phones (the cat, not James A. Garfield, 20th President of the US) have been washing ashore for thirty years, you can’t really find them anymore... https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/why-have-garfield-phones-been-washing-ashore-france-30-years-180971835/

I honestly don’t see why Apple can’t make a hamburger or banana shaped iPhone… they keep making such a big deal out of their Alpine Green iPhone, you’d think that was the pinnacle of mobile phone technology… they achieved Alpine Green… Anything is possible now.

I’m actually a bit complicit in the novelty phone nonsense… back in the mid 90s I made a couple of prototype housings for a company called Telemania… I was actually subcontracted as a freelance model maker to do a couple of phones that looked like cars. 
    My favorite one was the Dodge Viper… 

It was brand new at the time and I needed good reference photos, but the shop I was making it for couldn’t provide them, so they called the client who called a Chrysler representative who set up an appointment for me to take reference photos…  
    I felt like it was a big deal, they made an appointment with a dealership that actually had one of the handful of the cars that were available for display (they were in very limited production at the time, so most went straight to customers, only top dealerships got a display car), so I thought it was pretty cool I was getting access to one. 
    But yeah, when I showed up at the dealership and introduced myself to the guy I was supposed to meet he was like “oh… yeah… uh… it’s in the lot in the back… have fun”… 
    It was a little disappointing, like he didn’t seem to care much about why I was there or what I was doing.

So I stole the Viper and crashed it into a garbage truck.

Not really, but I probably could have… maybe it was because the Chrysler rep made a big deal about it that I felt it was something special, but I’m pretty sure I could have driven through the dealership and they would have been like “megh… that’s a shame”… while I was taking pictures, one of the salesman parked a car nearby and I explained why I was taking the pictures and he just nodded and shrugged… 

I also failed to mention they gave me the keys so I could open the doors and hood to take interior and engine pictures (I didn’t need engine pictures, but they didn’t know that)…

I regret returning those keys.

When I got home there was a package waiting for me that contained a large die cast model and a plastic kit to use as reference… so technically I didn’t even need the photos…

But anyway I’ve always like the look of the Viper, and that was one of the few projects that I actually took pictures of as a WIP… the designer at TeleMania like the finished models and promised me one of the production units when they came out, but just like a lot of happy clients he never followed through and I never found the item in a store. 
    But a few years later, my father-in-law found one in a Brookstone in Chicago and bought it for me. 
    He recently passed away and I dug out the phone because it was one of a million nice things he did for me and I wanted to make sure I didn’t lose it.

I don’t know what the point of that all was, but I guess we both have phones we are nostalgic about… 
    Mine isn’t as durable as yours though… you definitely could bash the daylights out of an intruder or werewolf with one of those slimline phones.

If only the Stormtroopers in Star Wars had their armor made out of Slimline phone plastic, they would have been impervious to blaster fire and Ewok spears.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

web browser logged me out of the Daz website.  I'm going to check the check box that says "stay signed in" and then see if Mozilla Firefox logs me out in a week.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,457

I've just bought an Air Fryer out of spite... I regret nothing... 

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,727

hacsart said:

We were on a a copper landline until a year ago when our phone provider said they were disabling copper in our building to put everyone on fibre.. So we cancelled with them (their infrastructure was not the best for VOIP) and switched to our cable internet providers phone service. We still have a Nothern Telecom landline wall phone in storage .. can;t plug it in, but hated to get rid of it..

I don't know if it works or not, but apparently things like this exist...

Analog to VOIP Adapter

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...actually was rather amused by all the odd phones they came up with back then.  They even revived the old candlestick phone.  Wanted to get one but they were expensive .

• KCMustangKCMustang Posts: 113

I left my beer in the freezer too long and now it's icey.

"Beer in the freezer".surprise  That's not the way to make "hard" liquor.devil

N-RArts said:

I've just bought an Air Fryer out of spite... I regret nothing... 

Fried air is terrible for your lungs... they'll get really fat and full of blobs of cholesterol and you'll be coughing up blobs of crusty chunky air. 
    Once you get fat lungs it's really hard to get them back in shape... you can do exercises and lift weights with them, but it takes four times longer to lose lung fat than say butt fat... What you really want is an Air Baker... Baked air is much better for you than fried... also it appears that inhaling baked air makes you mellow too... a guy I worked with was always "baked" and you could set him on fire and he'd just grin and be like "Groovy man!"...

Just fry your air in moderation and you'll probably be just fine.

edited May 2022

Complaint:  (PHSD) Post Hobby Satiation Depression.sad  wheee...indecision  I have more computers than I need.  I have more powerful computers than I need.  I've built 4 new, modern computers with oodles of RAM & fast storage & reliable backup & archive drives.  Each computer certified as Win11 compatible.  I've also upgraded the hardware and software on several ancient machines to the point where any more upgrades would require a new motherboard, CPU, RAM & PS to finally be Win11 compatable.  Right now, they're as fast as they're a-goin'a git, so why bother?frown

I now find myself unable to justify any more major computer purchases, no more eager browsing Amazon, NewEgg, and B&H.sad  I've even run out of little things like cables and adapters and rubber plugs for unused holes, and very overpriced case stickers to identify what's inside.  I've got it all.  Complete.  Nothing else to add.crying

Oh, I've found uses for all of them, but the thrill was in the game, the learning, the building, the completion of yet another of my numerous types of collections.  It's like all my other collections.  Once I had enough samples of the things I collected I lost interest.  Story of my life.  Once I'm comfortable in a topic, I lose interest in repeating it just because I could.  

Non-complaint:  So, with my computer building fetish satiated, I need to move on to something else.  I was going through my camera cabinet and started thinking about making HDRI spherical images again to be used as backgrounds for DAZ Studio.  I've still got a suitable camera and lenses, and complex tripod heads but haven't done it for at least 14 years when I was still running a WinXP system.  The trouble is, the copy of software I was using (Stitcher) is about 20 years old and no longer runs on Win10.  Yeah, I could roll back one of my systems to Win7, but I actually don't think my copy of Stitcher even worked properly on Win7 and the machines that I would use to host Win7 again would be one of my slower machines, so why bother?frown  Last time I looked, Stitcher was even more shockingly expensive,surprise (it's always been expensive but I didn't expect to have to buy it again).  Is there anything else cheaper that works as well as Stitcher?

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670
    edited May 2022

on the topic of cell phones I found a cheap plan for poor people like me. lol  It costs $30 a year for a couple hundred minutes.

Post edited by starionwolf on
    edited May 2022

There are government sponsored services here in NY State for free cell phones.  I recently helped a friend get validated for her free phone.  Yeah, it wasn't the latest iPhone, but it is a one generation older Android smart phone from a major brand, so it does everything she needs it for.

Check with assistance organizations for similar programs in your area.indecision

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636

LeatherGryphon said:

Last time I looked, Stitcher was even more shockingly expensive,surprise (it's always been expensive but I didn't expect to have to buy it again).  Is there anything else cheaper that works as well as Stitcher?

Hugin is a reasonably good free photostiching program. 

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112

Things are in limbo for me right now.  I am not sure when it will be solved.  I don't have access to my computer again.  It seems to be out of my hands if I can get it back or not.  I do have someone advocating for me, but I don't know the terms.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,511

LeatherGryphon said:

Last time I looked, Stitcher was even more shockingly expensive,
    surprise (it's always been expensive but I didn't expect to have to buy it again).  Is there anything else cheaper that works as well as Stitcher

I use PTGui (https://ptgui.com/) for stitching my panos. The Pro version also stitches HDRI.(for USA: $ 328). My 23-page PDF https://horo.ch/photos/pdf/CreatingPanos.pdf lists also other tools, but may not be entirely up-to-date.

LeatherGryphon said:

Oh, I've found uses for all of them, but the thrill was in the game, the learning, the building, the completion of yet another of my numerous types of collections.  It's like all my other collections.  Once I had enough samples of the things I collected I lost interest.  Story of my life.  Once I'm comfortable in a topic, I lose interest in repeating it just because I could.

I get that... I used to be like that too... I probably still am to some extent... not so much with collecting, but with learning things and building stuff... I used to like a challenge when I made stuff... but now I'm just more interested in getting whatever project over and done with.

Also I think I've come to terms with being an annoying perfectionist... I know I can't let something go until I feel it's 100%... So now I'm less interested doing really complicated things because I know I'll fuss over details nobody else will ever notice or care about, but will haunt me if I don't make them completely perfect.

Sfariah said:

Things are in limbo for me right now.  I am not sure when it will be solved.  I don't have access to my computer again.  It seems to be out of my hands if I can get it back or not.  I do have someone advocating for me, but I don't know the terms.

..do you have a caseworker you can discuss this with and have intervene for you ?  If you paid for that computer it should be yours, whoever confiscated it without giving due compensation is akin to theft. 

You need to get out of these abusive living arangements.

Horo said:

LeatherGryphon said:

surprise (it's always been expensive but I didn't expect to have to buy it again).  Is there anything else cheaper that works as well as Stitcher

I use PTGui (https://ptgui.com/) for stitching my panos. The Pro version also stitches HDRI.(for USA: $ 328). My 23-page PDF https://horo.ch/photos/pdf/CreatingPanos.pdf lists also other tools, but may not be entirely up-to-date.

...I read that as "...for stitching my pianos".  

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

kyoto kid said:

Horo said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Yeah, that's the family friendly version cheeky 

PerttiA said:

kyoto kid said:

Horo said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Yeah, that's the family friendly version cheeky 

surprise 

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378

kyoto kid said:

LeatherGryphon said:

That's what disposable email accounts are for.   i.e.  Tossing into a passing garbage truck and watch the carrion flies follow it down the road.enlightened

...I have a set of filters to do just that using keywords/phrases like "donate", "donation" "contribute", "contribution" "chip in" etc. but recently an increasing a number of those emails have been bypassing them.

Just do like I do.  Ignore email.  After awhile, you get over the stress of caring about it.

kyoto kid said:

...received an email this morning that OpenSea took the image down from their site and is forwarding the request to the seller.  If that doesn't work I will contact the seller myself. 

Demand a million dollars.  Or two!  Better yet, have your attorney do it on his letterhead.

kyoto kid said:

...back in the old days the way I was able to remember my old phone number was because it was printed on a little slip of paper under a clear plastic cover on the middle of the dial.  We also didn't have to include the area code for local calls back then. 

And we had the two-letter-prefix, such as "GArden" or "TOwer", 

Subtropic Pixel said:

kyoto kid said:

...received an email this morning that OpenSea took the image down from their site and is forwarding the request to the seller.  If that doesn't work I will contact the seller myself. 

Demand a million dollars.  Or two!  Better yet, have your attorney do it on his letterhead.

...I'd have to go for that much just to afford an attorney given my current income.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

kyoto kid said:

Subtropic Pixel said:

kyoto kid said:

...I'd have to go for that much just to afford an attorney given my current income.

Make your own letterheads and make your 'organisation' look big and powerfull wink

This discussion has been closed.