Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

Small world.. I had a 52 KH as well.. not chopped, but mildly bobbed.. it took a lot of work to get it running relaibly, and it was prone to running hot.. Also had another HD flashead, and 80ci UL.. and then later on a rescued Panhead that did get a chop job, spriger, mid apes, high pipes, cobra seat.. etc... except for the K., which was a junkyard fond, the other hDS were ex police bikes being sold of as surplus..

There were some Triumphs and a Roay Enfield Super Meteor in the mix.. My first "bought new from a dealer": bike was a Yamaha..

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited May 2022

Doh! Double posted while trying to edit!

Post edited by McGyver on

I probably posted this video link before, it's a video my friend made as a tribute to his dad who passed away...

After his dad passed, my friend was going through his vast collection of tools and contraptions.. his dad was literally a "rocket scientist", so there were lots of really cool devices and mechanical creations in his barn/garage... in the back of one area under a tarp there was an old 1958 BMW R50.

It was actually kinda buried behind a bunch of stuff and had been there for years... my friend knew the bike well, it had always been in the garage of whatever house they lived in and eventually made it to that one where it lay in the back for years... His dad never rode the bike, but apparently it was very special to him and he'd had lots of adventures on it prior to him having a son... apparently right before my friend was born, his dad took a hard spill and was pretty busted up, he made a promise to his wife that he'd put the bike away, because he didn't want her worrying and that he was going to be a father now... he wasn't going to get rid of the bike, but he made a promise and put the bike into storage.

I'm guessing that was around 1968... (I forgot my friend's age)... 

After his dad died my friend didn't know what to do with the bike... he grew up with the bike, but he liked new bikes more... selling it was an option, but not one he really wanted to consider... so one day while me and my other friend were over, we helped dig the bike out.

There was a ton of unique lumber and metal stock and assorted stuff blocking it... eventually the bike was freed and it was late so nothing more was done with it... but it looked surprisingly good for a bike that had been stored away for years.

The next day my friend went back and looked over the bike and in the tool compartment he found a crumbly yellowed note to him that his dad had written decades before...

"Note: Spare parts are locked away inside headlamp, tail lamp. Extra tools are in tool kit. I want the bike fixed as well as I know you can do it"

That note made up my friend's mind... and for the next couple of months the three of us engaged in a a series of weekend restoration efforts... basically a complete off the frame restoration... it also should be mentioned that the restoration would not have gone as smoothly without the help of Peter Nettesheim, a tireless collector and leading expert on vintage BMW motorcycles, whom my friend met while researching certain repairs.

This is the video... 

I only appear briefly in the video (once, not even looking at the camera) as most of the time I was either taking pictures or hiding somewhere... I hide from cameras... they steal your soul, you know.

In the photos the grey haired gentleman is our friend Peter, the BMW expert extraordinaire.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442

Very cool video.  Wonderful restoration.smiley

I found my K-model photo and one at Yellowstone National Park from my '95 trip. 

Harley53K.jpg
    640 x 439 - 53K
    LG_1995.jpg
    1024 x 714 - 173K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited May 2022

McGyver said:

I probably posted this video link before, it's a video my friend made as a tribute to his dad who passed away...

After his dad passed, my friend was going through his vast collection of tools and contraptions.. his dad was literally a "rocket scientist", so there were lots of really cool devices and mechanical creations in his barn/garage... in the back of one area under a tarp there was an old 1958 BMW R50.

It was actually kinda buried behind a bunch of stuff and had been there for years... my friend knew the bike well, it had always been in the garage of whatever house they lived in and eventually made it to that one where it lay in the back for years... His dad never rode the bike, but apparently it was very special to him and he'd had lots of adventures on it prior to him having a son... apparently right before my friend was born, his dad took a hard spill and was pretty busted up, he made a promise to his wife that he'd put the bike away, because he didn't want her worrying and that he was going to be a father now... he wasn't going to get rid of the bike, but he made a promise and put the bike into storage.

I'm guessing that was around 1968... (I forgot my friend's age)... 

After his dad died my friend didn't know what to do with the bike... he grew up with the bike, but he liked new bikes more... selling it was an option, but not one he really wanted to consider... so one day while me and my other friend were over, we helped dig the bike out.

There was a ton of unique lumber and metal stock and assorted stuff blocking it... eventually the bike was freed and it was late so nothing more was done with it... but it looked surprisingly good for a bike that had been stored away for years.

The next day my friend went back and looked over the bike and in the tool compartment he found a crumbly yellowed note to him that his dad had written decades before...

"Note: Spare parts are locked away inside headlamp, tail lamp. Extra tools are in tool kit. I want the bike fixed as well as I know you can do it"

That note made up my friend's mind... and for the next couple of months the three of us engaged in a a series of weekend restoration efforts... basically a complete off the frame restoration... it also should be mentioned that the restoration would not have gone as smoothly without the help of Peter Nettesheim, a tireless collector and leading expert on vintage BMW motorcycles, whom my friend met while researching certain repairs.

This is the video... 

I only appear briefly in the video (once, not even looking at the camera) as most of the time I was either taking pictures or hiding somewhere... I hide from cameras... they steal your soul, you know.

In the photos the grey haired gentleman is our friend Peter, the BMW expert extraordinaire.

...lovely video, and yes, an excellent restoration as well as tribute.

I feel the same about being "camera shy", never once did a "selfie" with a smart**sphone  (and never will) . I Was a senior class office in high school but in the section of the yearbook with the individual photos was listed among the "camera shy".  Wasn't about to pay some professional studio 35$ (which was a fair bit of money back in the early 70s) to have an air brushed photo that doesn't look much like myself (senior yearbook never actually look like the real person).

Post edited by kyoto kid on

A lot of my photos have gone awol after a couple of cross country moves, I did find one of my KH back in 2001 (no negative, just a battered 127 print) and scanned it. (didn;t have a really good scanner at the time. now I have one that can handle negatives at a high dpi, so I am slowly scanning through tons of negatives..)

This was taken, back in '67 or so.. trying to convince the thing to start..

edited May 2022

hacsart said:

Small world.. I had a 52 KH as well.. not chopped, but mildly bobbed.. it took a lot of work to get it running relaibly, and it was prone to running hot.. Also had another HD flashead, and 80ci UL.. and then later on a rescued Panhead that did get a chop job, spriger, mid apes, high pipes, cobra seat.. etc... except for the K., which was a junkyard fond, the other hDS were ex police bikes being sold of as surplus..

There were some Triumphs and a Roay Enfield Super Meteor in the mix.. My first "bought new from a dealer": bike was a Yamaha..

Cool!yes  Although, my ancient brain had wigged out on me.sad  I now remember that my "K" was the '53 model.  But I couldn't tell you what the differences (if any) are, especially as they'd both been altered post market.  And I believe HD only made the "K" in '52 & '53. I do remember that after I sold the bike, the new owner burned it up.surprisesad

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Not nice calling at 9PM, waking me up, without telling whether it's morning or evening...

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited May 2022

I spent all day in my garden today, tilling and plowing, plowing and tilling.It's now about 90% done, so only have a couple hours to spend tomorrow morning, if that.  Then it's ready for planting, yay!

Right now I'm cooking a chicken in the Foodi pot with a whole mess of vegetables on a pan in the oven.  Well, carrots, mushrooms, and 3/4 of a big sweet onion that had been around the block a couple times already and wasn't going to stay fresh in the fridge just doing sandwich service.  The house smells great and the food will be ready in about 20 minutes!  Hmmm, maybe I have time to cook a potato!

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378

PerttiA said:

Not nice calling at 9PM, waking me up, without telling whether it's morning or evening...

I know, right?  I just got an Amber alert on my Apple Watch and it says "24 minutes ago".  It's like they expect me to know what time it was 24 minutes ago?  You might as well ask me what time it is right now and make me push the button to see the clock!

Oh bugger.... it's snowing...

...been unusually colder here in the northwest as well, temperatures between 10° and 14° below normal almost on a daily basis.  There is actually a frost warning tonight for the western valleys where the normal overnight low is supposed to be near 50°.

Meanwhile, for the the central and eastern portion fo the nation, a record breaking heat wave is expected this week while we here will continue to be stuck in a pool of air more suited to early March than May. 

Subtropic Pixel said:

PerttiA said:

I know, right?  I just got an Amber alert on my Apple Watch and it says "24 minutes ago".  It's like they expect me to know what time it was 24 minutes ago?  You might as well ask me what time it is right now and make me push the button to see the clock!

The wall clock doesn't tell if it's AM or PM, and after having been in the 'dark' for several months, it takes getting used to when it's light outside even at 10PM.

The 'panic' hits when usually you have to go to work or visit your 'early bird' mother in the morning blush

kyoto kid said:

...been unusually colder here in the northwest as well, temperatures between 10° and 14° below normal almost on a daily basis.  There is actually a frost warning tonight for the western valleys where the normal overnight low is supposed to be near 50°.

Meanwhile, for the the central and eastern portion fo the nation, a record breaking heat wave is expected this week while we here will continue to be stuck in a pool of air more suited to early March than May. 

Keeping fingers crossed... The last time the temperature went below freezing, was last Wednesday. Still only about 10C (50F) in the afternoon, but at least the snow is gone.

..well originally was supposed to finally get up into the 70s for several days starting next weekend with some sun but now the advance forecast was downgraded to the 60s and clouds with "wet" on Saturday.  I expect to see it revised downward again in a couple days as that has been the trend.  We just can't seem to get a string of several nice days together.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

PerttiA said:

Subtropic Pixel said:

PerttiA said:

The wall clock doesn't tell if it's AM or PM, and after having been in the 'dark' for several months, it takes getting used to when it's light outside even at 10PM.

"Hello, is this Mr. Thompson? This is Mr. Jenkins, and it's currently evening."

Gordig said:

PerttiA said:

Subtropic Pixel said:

PerttiA said:

"Hello, is this Mr. Thompson? This is Mr. Jenkins, and it's currently evening."

Some 35 years ago, my coworkers got a good laugh as I started appologising for sleeping late... Turned out, I was about 10 hours early instead.

Although... It was an assylum, and people were used to odd behaviour cheeky

hacsart said:

Oh bugger.... it's snowing...

Flip the calendar page! enlightened 

edited May 2022

woke up to this...

snow_1.jpg
    1440 x 1082 - 492K
    Post edited by hacsart on

Ooh, pretty, but get that calendar page turned, you're still on April.cheeky

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112
    I think I'm spending most of my day thinking of how productive my day could be instead of doing something productive.

Non-complaint; 17hours of daylight tomorrow smiley

Not sure, whether to complain or not... I was given a new monitor to test (Samsung LS34A650U), one of those fancy curved ones at 3440x1440 resolution.
    The combined horizontal resolution is now 7280 pixels across three monitors.

The width and curving of the new one will take some getting used to

PerttiA said:

Not sure, whether to complain or not... I was given a new monitor to test (Samsung LS34A650U), one of those fancy curved ones at 3440x1440 resolution.

Would one of those rotating piano stools help?devil 

LeatherGryphon said:

PerttiA said:

Would one of those rotating piano stools help?devil 

Or the neck of an owl cheeky 

God I hate this forum's software and severs... I was outside earlier and looking at the forums while I waited, and I saw a question I realized I could actually answer...

But being that I was wearing my contacts, I didn't want to write the response in Notes and paste it into the reply box... as I've got notes set to dark mode and that's a little blurry without my reading glasses, which were in the car... 

So, lazy as I am, I just kept hitting "Save Draft" and kept seeing the automatic "Draft Saved" notifications... no problem, right?

Normally as long as you see that little black box confirming your draft was saved, it's cool... if you don't see it come up, it's not saving, either manually or automatically... then you should at least copy and paste.

but it was cool... it was saving automatically, so no problem...

Right?

No.

Never.

The forum software is rubbish of the highest quality.

Of course the forum crashed.

And of course no drafts were saved.

None.

Nothing.

Not one.

Not even the first sentence...

There were a lot of sentences and a lot of "Draft Saved" notices.

But none were saved.

Not any.

None.

Nothing.

Zero.

Zip.

All for naught.

I'm not bothering to rewrite the answer, because someone smarter and better at writing will answer it.

Its really so effing annoying to bother coming here when it's so absolutely aggravating to participate in any sort of community without fighting crashes and just lame 1998 AOL level garbage problems that even small app developer's forums don't have... these are people running a website with a tiny percentage of the resources and it's a modern web experience, but I'm here partying like it's 1999.

BUY NFTS PEOPLE

Thats all that really mattters.

Right?

This sucks.

Later Folks.

(Written exclusively in Notes and pasted, because trusting this software is just stupid)

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

Something was going on, because ealier I got a Draft Saved message...but I wasn't even writing anything!  There was nothing to save!  

Dana

edited May 2022

DanaTA said:

Something was going on, because ealier I got a Draft Saved message...but I wasn't even writing anything!  There was nothing to save!  

Dana

Hmmm... now I'm feeling kind'a chilly.  Must be a draft in here.surprise 

Complaint:  So much for being obsessively organized.  I've organized my Russian Cyrillic keyboard right of findability.  It has to be somewhere in this tiny apartment but I don't know where else to look.frown  I went straight to my big box of old keyboards and found many interesting ones, but no Cyrillic.  I know it's in its box and the box is pure white, no images or text.  But there aren't that many places in this apartment where I could  shove a long white box and lose it.no

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Ran out of excuses today and had to face the fact that winter is over and it was time to change the studded tires out...
    Of course, last November 'someone' had hidden the long handle for the socket so well that it couldn't be found and had to get a new one...
    Now that 'someone' can find a good place for the new handle for safe keeping wink

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112
    I just found out I have a thirty day notice, aka eviction notice.
    edited May 2022

LeatherGryphon said:

DanaTA said:

Dana

Hmmm... now I'm feeling kind'a chilly.  Must be a draft in here.surprise 

Complaint:  So much for being obsessively organized.  I've organized my Russian Cyrillic keyboard right of findability.  It has to be somewhere in this tiny apartment but I don't know where else to look.frown  I went straight to my big box of old keyboards and found many interesting ones, but no Cyrillic.  I know it's in its box and the box is pure white, no images or text.  But there aren't that many places in this apartment where I could  shove a long white box and lose it.no

...do you have a serviceable IBM Model M keyboard with a PS/2 connector in that big box o' keyboards?.  

Post edited by kyoto kid on
This discussion has been closed.