There's Always Another Sale Thread -- Discussions Only Pt 2

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930

...so still a bit confused on hat this "Build your own Daz+ for A Day" promo is all about as there are no details   I just see the usual D+FaD and the Featured Artist categories. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,010

barbult said:

PerttiA said:

Since joining Daz+ last December, I have seen a LOT of expensive items on sale between 90-99% off in the cart, one just needs to wait some more and one can get them at the price one is willing to pay.

When they had the first wishlist discount, I started throwing in the items I would buy if I got them at really good discount, and now I just check the different offers for items on my wishlist, if there's a wishlist discount at the same time, all the better.

But have you ever rendered any of that stuff? Post a render and show off what you can do with that old stuff. Inspire us! Do you have a gallery?

Since you asked... 

ThoseWereTheDays.png
    1908 x 1147 - 3M
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,905

kyoto kid said:

...so still a bit confused on hat this "Build your own Daz+ for A Day" promo is all about as there are no details   I just see the usual D+FaD and the Featured Artist categories. 

It's pretty baffling.  Someone even started a thread on the subject and it was locked because "this issue was being discussed elsewhere"... which apparently meant this thread, even though there was never any response to any of the questions raised here.  

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,831

PerttiA said:

barbult said:

PerttiA said:

Since joining Daz+ last December, I have seen a LOT of expensive items on sale between 90-99% off in the cart, one just needs to wait some more and one can get them at the price one is willing to pay.

When they had the first wishlist discount, I started throwing in the items I would buy if I got them at really good discount, and now I just check the different offers for items on my wishlist, if there's a wishlist discount at the same time, all the better.

But have you ever rendered any of that stuff? Post a render and show off what you can do with that old stuff. Inspire us! Do you have a gallery?

Since you asked... 

Alright!

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,114
    edited October 2023
    "All Daz+ for a Day Return"

That might be interesting if they weren't $4 each...

And being among those snubbed and passed over for the 10% off Daz+ member banner... Not seeing any reason to consider a purchase this weekend.

But DD's Alien Rock shaders look cool - wishlisted for later, maybe on a double tokens day.
    Post edited by doubledeviant on

Cybersox said:

kyoto kid said:

It's pretty baffling.  Someone even started a thread on the subject and it was locked because "this issue was being discussed elsewhere"... which apparently meant this thread, even though there was never any response to any of the questions raised here.  

The only answer we ever got was from a forum admin (Cris) who said that as they understood it, it was just a sale title and not a special sale category or anything (I'm paraphrasing from memory). My follow-on question was ignored, as was every other question I ever saw asked about it. So my conclusion is that it is nothing real.

• GhostGhost Posts: 103

doubledeviant said:

And being among those snubbed and passed over for the 10% off Daz+ member banner... Not seeing any reason to consider a purchase this weekend.

But DD's Alien Rock shaders look cool - wishlisted for later, maybe on a double tokens day.

5$ each without a buy-in.
    It's ridiculous, some (a lot) of DO items had better price yesterday, when not included in the D+ for a day category. Wow.

Whatever body snatchers took over, we need to get the real Daz people back. 

Ghost said:

doubledeviant said:

It's ridiculous, some (a lot) of DO items had better price yesterday, when not included in the D+ for a day category. Wow.

Yeah, "Discount does not stack with other offers" = No Sale

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

PerttiA said:

maikdecker said:

But they don't, when you have to get stuff you don't need/want... for me the price for those Items in your cart would have to been adjusted for the two unwanted G9 items I would have had to buy... in that example, they would cost ($ 1.- + $ 2.44 =) $ 3.44/2 = $ 1.72 more each, pushing them out of the "under $ 1.-" and the "90% off" range... wink

I use that "don't get what you don't want or won't ever use" rule even for free stuff btw...

That was just a sample cart to show the discount %. If I had been collecting a real cart to buy, there would have been 80-100 items for $60 at 95% off

Another reason why your arguments won't work for everybody here: many have neither the needed money needed to make a $ 60.- buy each day/week/month and/or see 80-100 items worth to be bought at the same time. Longtimers (and I aren't one, being here only for a couple years) have passed so many items in so many sales so often already, that the incention to get them even for free would be low... when it's not to get them out of the shop, so they don't show in the lists anymore, as others stated...

So for You it seems $ 60.- a day spent on sales here seems possible... for me it's $ 60.- a month to not get the wife angry because it's spent on a pure hobby... people are different, we're all special snowflakes and the sales here in DAZland aren't what they were in the olden days anymore... facts of life, one could say wink

I'm not arguing, but people complaining all the time that everything is so expensive, when one can't buy stuff at the other stores at even near the prices one can buy stuff here...
    I'm just saying one CAN get good bargains and low prices here.
    Current cart, 206 items for $80.08 at 97% off (Subtotal $3018.72) cheeky

• barbult said:

Cybersox said:

kyoto kid said:

The only answer we ever got was from a forum admin (Cris) who said that as they understood it, it was just a sale title and not a special sale category or anything (I'm paraphrasing from memory). My follow-on question was ignored, as was every other question I ever saw asked about it. So my conclusion is that it is nothing real.

I thought I'd said we had pointed outt hat it was causing confusion, if not then we did. But we were told that there was no missing promotion, so it wasn't a hidden sale that was not listed. Sorry not to have been more helpful or productive.

• GhostGhost Posts: 103

PerttiA said:

Ghost said:

doubledeviant said:

Yeah, "Discount does not stack with other offers" = No Sale

Are you a daz employee? You always defend the store no matter how bad it gets.
    I didn't mention anything about stacking.
    Daz+ for a day category from last year offered many of the same items for 2$ per item without any money burners - a.k.a. buy-ins. That's the whole appeal of this particular sale and especially of this particular category. 

This particular category is something I, and I'm sure many other customers with similiar budget, have been waiting for a year. It turned out to be a joke, bad one at that.
    Not only does it requiere a buy-in, but even with it, it's still more expensive.

On top of that, with todays deals some of the items that yesterday costed below 4$, today cost 5$, when included to - what supposed to be - the most attractive category of the sale.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

PerttiA said:

I'm not arguing, but people complaining all the time that everything is so expensive, when one can't buy stuff at the other stores at even near the prices one can buy stuff here...
    Current cart, 206 items for $80.08 at 97% off (Subtotal $3018.72) cheeky

People mostly complain about sales not being as good as they in the past. Afaik you're quite new, so You can't remember those sales and You obviously have still a really big demand for different items, so getting lots for as cheap as possible, while having to pay a bit for stuff You might never need is still a good deal for You. For others it isn't, as they have seen many of the items in the deals either sold for for less in the past and still didn't want to buy them then or they lack the funds to hop on the no longer that good deals, as most ask for investing in another new generation of figures, when they already have tons of stuff for three or more different old generations and basically only need old stuff that they have wishlisted for years... A cart of 206 items for $ 80.- sounds great on first glance, but I for example have a total of only about 120 items in my wishlist right now of which exactly none would have reached a 80%+ off price during this sale without me having to buy stuff I do need/want, which leaves me with no incentive to spend any money at all, as even by being in my wishlist the items are still in the "nice to have" and not the "must buy" category. The longer one shops here, the longer gets the "nice to have" list, especially when being able to check for freebies or modiying old stuff or when seeing that at other shops some deals don't require any hoops to jump through, which makes buying easier and often more satisfying, even when the reduced price might not as low as it could be here...

tl/dr: It's fine that the deals work for you, but for others they don't for different personal reasons, with not being able to spend $ 80.- more than once in a month here being one of them...

• SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 876
    edited October 2023

PerttiA said:

barbult said:

Since you asked... 

Thanks for sharing! I like the mood. yes

PerttiA If you try out more of your buys and especially the older stuff, feel free to post it in the Render your buys thread! I'd love to see them as I also really enjoy getting and trying out a lot of the older stuff. Their promos often don't do them justice, but they can be quite atmospheric and/or suit certain styles of postwork very well. And some of the older stuff is pretty unique.

barbult, one example is a render I did a couple of years back of Victorian Street Front - I got it for 0.36 or something as part of the BYOB sales. The promos aren't great, but once in a render with a little TLC, I really thought it was lovely. I soon stopped relying on the old promos, since invariably current versions of DS and iray make many of the items look much better.

Post edited by SapphireBlue on

SapphireBlue said:

PerttiA said:

barbult said:

Since you asked... 

PerttiA If you try out more of your buys and especially the older stuff, feel free to post it in the Render your buys thread! I'd love to see them as I also really enjoy getting and trying out a lot of the older stuff. Their promos often don't do them justice, but they can be quite atmospheric and/or suit certain styles of postwork very well. And some of the older stuff is pretty unique.

barbult, one example is a render I did a couple of years back of Victorian Street Front - I got it for 0.36 or something as part of the BYOB sales. The promos aren't great, but once in a render with a little TLC, I really thought it was lovely. I soon stopped relying on the old promos, since invariably current versions of DS and iray make many of the items look much better.

Thanks, I'm just doing this for my own enjoyment and passing the time, never knowing where the scene is going to end up when I start.

The scene I posted, started in Redhouse Sweet Shoppe, with the idea that a (younger) mom would be shopping presents for her children laugh

SapphireBlue said:

I've always used a lot of the older items regularly as well.  In the 3DL days that usually meant fiddling with a lot of things manually and swaping in shaders for mats that were specifically made for different versions of Poser, but since the advent of Iray I've continually been impressed at just how good some of the old items appear using only the automatic conversion.  Add a little tweaking and you can get really amazing results, with the bonus of the older products usually being a LOT more conservative on system resources. 

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

Cybersox said:

kyoto kid said:

I thought I'd said we had pointed outt hat it was causing confusion, if not then we did. But we were told that there was no missing promotion, so it wasn't a hidden sale that was not listed. Sorry not to have been more helpful or product

You may have said something I missed or forgot. The answer is essentially the same, I think. There is no special sale category or offer assiciated with those words. They are just words. Thank you for informing Daz of customers' confusion.

• PerttiA said:

Thanks, I'm just doing this for my own enjoyment and passing the time, never knowing where the scene is going to end up when I start.

The scene I posted, started in Redhouse Sweet Shoppe, with the idea that a (younger) mom would be shopping presents for her children laugh

Doing these for your own enjoyment is the best! This makes for a great way to pass the time. Well, if you ever feel like sharing them in the Render your buys thread, please do. No worries if that's not interesting to you. yes

Wow, that scene did take a detour then!! wink

• Cybersox said:

SapphireBlue said:

I've always used a lot of the older items regularly as well.  In the 3DL days that usually meant fiddling with a lot of things manually and swaping in shaders for mats that were specifically made for different versions of Poser, but since the advent of Iray I've continually been impressed at just how good some of the old items appear using only the automatic conversion.  Add a little tweaking and you can get really amazing results, with the bonus of the older products usually being a LOT more conservative on system resources. 

Yes, that last bit on using less system resources is also a big plus! I've only tried out a handful of older stuff, as I otherwise just leave them till I have a project I want them for. If you have some favorite renders of older stuff you're willing to share here, I'd love to see what you're able to get them to look like! smiley

• SapphireBlue said:

PerttiA said:

barbult said:

Since you asked... 

I love trying to do new things with old stuff. When the old stuff can be had for pocket change, like now, I'm especially willing to give it a go. Yes, I've bought a ton of old cheapies at this particular sale. Sad hobgoglin in the other thread is one that's a product test of stuff ranging from new this week to really ancient. And I added that Street Front to my cart. I bet I can do something with that.

barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

Cybersox said:

kyoto kid said:

I thought I'd said we had pointed outt hat it was causing confusion, if not then we did. But we were told that there was no missing promotion, so it wasn't a hidden sale that was not listed. Sorry not to have been more helpful or product

You may have said something I missed or forgot. The answer is essentially the same, I think. There is no special sale category or offer assiciated with those words. They are just words. Thank you for informing Daz of customers' confusion.

Except they're not just words.  They're two different specific combinations of words that have always denoted very specific type of sales in the DAZ store, so the use of the phrases "Build Your Own" and "DAZ+ For A Day" together when not in conjunction with a sale that included both of those aspects showed a surprisingly poor awareness of the sales culture that DAZ itself has created.   

• jd641jd641 Posts: 454

Cybersox said:

barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

Cybersox said:

kyoto kid said:

Except they're not just words.  They're two different specific combinations of words that have always denoted very specific type of sales in the DAZ store, so the use of the phrases "Build Your Own" and "DAZ+ For A Day" together when not in conjunction with a sale that included both of those aspects showed a surprisingly poor awareness of the sales culture that DAZ itself has created.   

That seems to be the problem with many retailers. Something sells really well and marketing doesn't know why but they know the numbers and trying to recreate that by doing something similar down the line doesn't work. They don't know why it failed because the charts/statistics say it should work but since they aren't part of the user base they'll never "get it". 

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,774
    Hopefully something great happens tomorrow with the sale. I have 10 days left to buy stuff.
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,633
    edited October 2023

daveso said:

Hopefully something great happens tomorrow with the sale. I have 10 days left to buy stuff.

Today was a pretty good day for me. With all the featured artist items back on sale I was able to get several items that were new when the artist's items were on sale earlier but have now lost their new status. For example with the extra 50% discount (when you buy a Debut or Still New release) plus the extra 10% orange banner discount I was able to get MI Modern Military Combat Uniform Bundle for only $27.22 when I used 8 tokens.

ETA: Also got Dain 9 HD Pro Bundle for $18.34 with 8 tokens and my DAZ+ $6 coupon

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

PerttiA said:

Current cart, 206 items for $80.08 at 97% off (Subtotal $3018.72) cheeky.  

...on my income, a 25$ cart is a huge expense. 

Cybersox said:

kyoto kid said:

...yeah in past both in this sale and others there were promos for offers like "Build Your Own Bundle" that had a grouping of applicable products.  This had nothing like that at all and thus  seemed misleading.   

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,435

Hmph. Ghostly Goodies, 2 of 605... I've got too much stuff...

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,633
    edited October 2023

Yesterday several of the sales such as "All Featured Artists Return" and "All DAZ+ For a Day Are Back"" were listed as "TODAY ONLY"; but today's sale looks pretty much like yesterday's sale with those groups still on sale. Why am I not surprised?

I hurried and made my purchases yesterday when I could have waited until today and gotten the same discounts. Oh well, it looks like I will get to save the remaining small amount of store credit I have left.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

Charlie Judge said:

Yesterday several of the sales such as "All Featured Artists Return" and "All DAZ+ For a Day Are Back"" were listed as "TODAY ONLY"; but today's sale looks pretty much like yesterday's sale with those groups still on sale. Why am I not surprised?

I hurried and made my purchases yesterday when I could have waited until today and gotten the same discounts. Oh well, it looks like I will get to save the remaining small amount of store credit I have left.

As of late, I've been leaving my Saturday cart unbought just to see what difference it makes, and yes, the Sunday sales have frequently been basically the same as the Saturday sales, with the featured items being the main thing that changes.  Given how frequently DAZ manages to bollux up their sales on days when there is no one in the office, often leaving broken promotions that never end up being resolved, I personally think this is a good thing.    

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,792

Cybersox said:

barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

Cybersox said:

kyoto kid said:

If you sort the entire store by lowest to highest you will see a ton of old Daz+ stuff for 80 cents and even cheaper in the cart, especially if you include a debut/still new item and use tokens so they can come out to as low as 24 cents each which is even better than the old 8 items for $2.99 and you have the whole store to choose from, not just select categories. So this is actually much better than the old way plus makes good fillers when you are just pennies away from getting your next token.

This discussion has been closed.