Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,107

How did it get to be 1904?  or 7:04pm

• I'm once again reminded that I cannot build a fire to save my life (probably literally... I'm sure I would freeze to death first). I follow all of the guides, make my little pile of kindling, blow when I'm supposed to and refrain from blowing when I must... all of the little and medium sticks burn and the logs just turn black and smoke for a little.

Silly me, thinking that wood burns...

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Blando Calrissian said:

I'm once again reminded that I cannot build a fire to save my life (probably literally... I'm sure I would freeze to death first). I follow all of the guides, make my little pile of kindling, blow when I'm supposed to and refrain from blowing when I must... all of the little and medium sticks burn and the logs just turn black and smoke for a little.

Silly me, thinking that wood burns...

If you ask the 'experts', you should set your kindlings and light the fire on top of the logs.

If you ask people that have done it and are doing it to keep their accomodations warm (to keep them alive), they build a loose pile around a nest of kindlings at the bottom of the pile and make sure the air is coming from below the pile.
    The wood lights up better if it's dry wink

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Non-complaint, tomorrow we are going to have 10 hours of daylight already smiley

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited February 2022

...complaint:  frozen water from the sky tonorrow morning.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Complaint: it isn't the most wonderful time of the month!  It is that bad time of the month?

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited February 2022

Non-pay weeks are pretty bad.  Mondays used to be bad, but now that I'm retired, I don't notice them so much.  Months with an "R" in them are good(bad?) for something about shellfish but I forgot what.   The runt month of February is good because it's rarely a 5-week pay month (I get SS payments on the 3rd Wednesday of each month) and usually facilitates two 4-week pay months in a row.  So, no.  I don't think this is a particularly bad month.  However, your mileage may differ.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

I got ZBrush and I don't know how to use it.

...18:35 local time and finally made it to the forums. Been rather preoccupied with "other" concerns today.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636
    edited February 2022

Major Complaint: My heat pump stopped working will have to be replaced. Very expensive 

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • Charlie Judge said:

Major Complaint: My heat pump stopped working will have to be replaced to be replaced

Um, needing replacement the usual fate of things that need to be replaced. indecision

What time is it?  Ohh I need to take my 1 pm medicine soon!

edited February 2022

Desperate hobby withdrawal symptoms:  I'm not satisfied.  I need to fix something.  Although world peace seems to be out of the question for the moment. 

My hobby is not DAZing, my hobby is building my computer system and making it better.surprise  It's what I did before I retired from corporate life.  I built systems.  I rarely used them except to make them work for other people and manage the traffic between them and diagnose their ills.  Oh, yeah, I also played with them and made them jump through multi-dimentional hoops just for the fun of it, but once done I got bored (I get easily jaded and don't like to repeat things once accomplished) and showed the real engineers how to use what I built for them to make their own wonderful things for humanity.  Of course now, retired, at home, without Military or Government or Corporate money to spend, I am limited in what I can build, but I still get joy out of playing with my toys.

So, where am I?  I now have all eight of my computers functional and on-line, and all capable of sharing data between themselves.  I can't afford to build another high-end machine like PoppaBear and all my machines have now been provided with more than enough RAM and SSD and HD storage for their conceivable needs.  Two of the computers are old Dell WinXP machines and are frozen as is, simply as ancient game playing machines and spare parts for each other.  Another of the eight machines is an old 4GB limited, dual-core laptop that runs Win10 like molasses even with an SSD for storage.  I can't afford a new laptop and I rarely need a laptop anymore because I don't travel or do housecalls anymore, so it's functional but frozen as is too.indecision

Then there's PoppaBear, MommaBear, and BabyBear, three thoroughly modern, moderately fast, machines all now Win11 ready and each with gobs of RAM, SSD & HD storage, overkill powersupply, and great graphics (Poppa has RTX-3060, Momma has GTX-1660 and BabyBear has the Ryzen 5 5600G CPU with it's decent integrated graphics).smiley

So, that leaves GrampaBear and George.  When I started comparing the needs of GrampaBear and George I realized that George is actually the older of the two and is in more desperate need of surgery.  I'd worked on George several months ago and gave him a SATA SSD for the system drive.  It helped, but now that I have so many really zippy machines at my beck and call, George looks quite lethargic.frown  So, my shopping goal has shifted to possibilities for upgrading George.

George is an old HP mid-tower from about 2009, originally WinVista, but the motherboard is so old that it's not worth upgrading the CPU.  Time to replace the motherboard, CPU & RAM.  I have the RAM (16GB Corsair "Vengeance LPX" 2666), The power supply is adequate (400w) if no big graphic card is added.  I also have a spare 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD for use as a system drive.

But, I run into the same problems I described in an earlier post.  If I put a modern motherboard into an old HP case with only one 80mm case fan and a limited air flow case, heat could become a problem if the machine is allowed to run as fast as it can.  Also, space is tight, really big graphics cards wouldn't fit.  And smaller but still powerful graphics cards need extra power cables from the powersupply and will also generate lots of heat.  Boogers.sad  However...

MommaBear has a 300 series motherboard using an 8th generation i5 CPU.  It's a microATX form factor, so it will fit into George's HP case. yes  Now that everybody's buying 600 series motherboards, I find that I can get a 400 or 500 series motherboard for a good price.  So, I have a short list of motherboards and CPUs that at the moment are available for reasonable prices.  

(Intel) Asus Prime-B560M-a             w/Intel i5-10400        approx total cost $270

(Intel) Asus Prime-B460M-R2.0       w/Intel i5-10400        approx total cost $260

(AMD) Asus Prime-A520M-a           w/Ryzen 5 5600G     approx total cost $290

My current dreaming is to get the B560 motherboard & i5 CPU and put it in MommaBear and move her 300 series motherboard to George.  Unfortunately, the B560's primary M.2 slot is disabled completely if you use a 10th generation CPU, it only works for 11th gen CPUs.surprise  And of course 11th gen CPUs are twice as expensive.angry

OK, so let's back down to the B460 motherboard & i5 CPU.  This could work but for just $10 more I could get the 500 series board with a longer expected functionality lifetime.  And the B460 is slower RAM.  Eh, possible but I don't want to limit the potential of the resulting system.

OK, final try.  If I switch to AMD and get the A520M motherboard it's currently really cheap ($60) but to get the Ryzen 5 5600G CPU the least I could find was $219 at B&H

(Sigh!sad)  

edited February 2022

I got a piece of mail in the mail today.  It looked to be very important until I opened the envelope.  All I found inside were ads.  They are the type of thing that are put in magazines along with the subscribe to our magazines.  Basically, random stuff for sale.  Realistic baby dolls to clocks.

edit I added a picture showing the "important mail"

socalledimportantmail.png
    1069 x 762 - 303K
    Post edited by Sfariah D on
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

Afrofuturistic Street?

edited February 2022

Non-complaint:  The die has been cast*.  Orders have been made.  My plan to upgrade George is in motion.   I chose to give him MommaBear's 300 series motherboard with its i5-8th gen CPU.  And Momma gets a brand new 500 series board.  Wheee!smiley

I selected the Asus B560M-A motherboard from Amazon for $110.  But to someday be able to use its super fast 4.0 PCIE slot I had to bite the bullet and find an 11th generation Intel CPU that was affordable.  (10th gen disables the primary M.2 slot)frown

Persistence pays off and I found an i5-11500 for $214 at B&H but a little more searching found an i5-11400 for only $180 at Amazon(I swear it wasn't there10 minutes earlier).  Yay!  Happy, happy, joy, joy! yes

Wheee... it's geek time again.devil  And I wanted to get a bunch of electronics now instead of later when the world situation might not be so pleasant.sad  And for $300 I will re-invigorate George, I'll evolve MommaBear and I avoided spending more than $500.smiley

* "Once you make a decision, the Universe conspires to make it happen." -- R.W. Emerson

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

I don't care. I really don't. 

It's not like it was all that important in the first place. Certainly no one else ever gave a flying squirrel one way or the other. Know what I mean? Seasons come and go and what do we have show for it? A cigar box of childhood memories? A photo album of faces with no names?

Hope. All we have is hope. It's what we think about in the quiet hours of the night. When loneliness envelops us in its empty arms and squeezes us until we sob, and then we can only sigh. And try to sleep.

But hope. Hope speaks of a future. Hope speaks not of futility but purpose.

Maybe I do care after all. Yeah, maybe I do. 

John

edited February 2022

...so is eight computers enough?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

TJohn said:

It's not like it was all that important in the first place. Certainly no one else ever gave a flying squirrel one way or the other. Know what I mean? Seasons come and go and what do we have show for it? A cigar box of childhood memories? A photo album of faces with no names?

Hope. All we have is hope. It's what we think about in the quiet hours of the night. When loneliness envelops us in its empty arms and squeezes us until we sob, and then we can only sigh. And try to sleep.

John

Was there something I missed?   Why so despondent?  I hope you are feeling better now.

Dana

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    edited February 2022

DanaTA said:

TJohn said:

John

Was there something I missed?   Why so despondent?  I hope you are feeling better now.

Dana

Yeah, clinically depressed but under treatment for a couple decades. Just working through stuff. Lost a lot old friends in the last year or so. But I'm fine, just feeling old at 68+. That was only my way of expressing how I feel. I'm just venting. smiley

P.S. Thanks for caring, Dana. It means a lot.

Post edited by TJohn on

• @ TJohn.  Phew, glad to hear that you're just depressed and not criticizing my blathering about my computer family.devil  Because that would make me depressed.   But once I read it through a couple times I realized that it was quite wise & poignant.yes

edited February 2022

kyoto kid said:

...so is eight computers enough?

Hmmm... sounds like the title of a late 20th century American TV show.  But of course "no".  Eight is not enough I actually have nine (forgot about the one in my bedroom).surprise  However, it is satisfactory under current budget restrictions.  Many of them were old customer "trash" at one time.  And the reason I have extra, modern, high speed RAM is because of a poorly played game of musical RAM while juggling the speed, capacity, cost, and tech during assembly of the Bear family.  I made a couple of unwise purchases.blush  But the spare M.2 NVMe 500GB SSD was a deliberate purchase a few months ago when I ran across a super deal for it.

At one time I had 11 functional machines, but one day I got a bee in my bonnet and dismembered all the Win95 & Win98 machines.  Eventually I even threw the parts into the trash.  Although I still have the software and manuals, but I don't know why.frown  A couple of other WinXP machines visited for a while but they too were chopped up and eventually discarded.  Over the years more machines cycled in and out.  The remaining old machines were the best of the lot.  Nothing with less than 8GB of RAM (except the poor laptop).  I have enough machines now that I could start experimenting with other operating systems or dedicating a machine or two for special purposes like networking, or security, or serving, etc.  The three bears (Momma, Poppa & Baby) are all brand new loves($$$) of my life, but truthfully, Momma and Poppa do most of my work.  Baby is just busy growing and learning and will eventually be given to my nephew next time he drives out here.  GrampaBear is a living memory of old software not ported to Momma yet.  George was functional but sloooowww.  After he gets his whole head transplanted from Momma, he'll serve as a very nice modern computer for years to come.  A sleeper, a race horse disguised as a mule. 

The machine in my bedroom (UncleBear) is also a rebuilt HP Vista era machine now equipped with a relatively modern motherboard(Asus Prime A320M-K) & a Ryzen5 1400 CPU.

Finally, at the end of this current upgrade mania, Momma will be equal to Poppa, if not slightly faster in some areas.  (Although, Poppa is an ATX size board, momma is just a microATX board, so has less PCIE slots.  And Poppa is a "z" board (Asus Prime z490-A) with an i7 10700 CPU, a combination capable of being overclocked if I ever delve into that realm.

Unfortunately, my bedroom machine will need yet another upgrade someday, because the first generation Ryzen CPUs (i.e. my Ryzen5-1400) are not Win11 capable.  Nor is the motherboard (Asus A320-M-K).frown  Another bad choice.sad  Nice machine though until Win11 is mandatory.yes  Perhaps then he'll become my first LINUX machine in 14 years.  (I used to be a UNIX guru on big SUN and HP pro machines.)  But that's a bunch of memories that will have to be diligently uncovered.frown

I believe my "bucket list" includes the desire to usefully use up all my spare parts before I depart.  Not sure it will work out that way, I'm still trying to resolve the weiners vs buns conundrum.indecision

8 Computers are okay if it is okay with you.  I have 10 American Girl dolls at this moment.  Wait that isn't correct as that is only counting the ones I have at this place right now.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

TJohn said:

DanaTA said:

TJohn said:

John

Dana

Yeah, clinically depressed but under treatment for a couple decades. Just working through stuff. Lost a lot old friends in the last year or so. But I'm fine, just feeling old at 68+. That was only my way of expressing how I feel. I'm just venting. smiley

P.S. Thanks for caring, Dana. It means a lot.

You're welcome!  Hang in there.

Dana 

My finger print reader doesn't always want to read my fingers.  Sometimes it says that it needs cleaning but I don't know how to clean a fingerprint reader on my laptop.

My laptop is a Dell UltraBook with Core i7 vPro inside according to all the stickers on it and the Dell logo under the screen.

TJohn, please hang in there.

I saw a joke on Facebook.  I don't remember where exactly but I will try to rewrite it

Do you feel like no one is there for you? There is one that is always there for you!  That is laundry.

Remember you have value.  I have been depressed.  Or am I still depressed but not as depressed?  Actually I am bipolar I think.  I have times of extreme depression.  I remind myself it is easier to go downhill than uphill.  That is true for a bike and also mental health.  I can't make you feel better but only to remind you that you aren't alone.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,883

I feel so sorry for the parents of violin students. 

Gordig said:

I feel so sorry for the parents of violin students. 

Maybe trumpet students are also in that line of thinking? 

edited February 2022

Having been one myself for one brief miserable moment, I feel sorry for the violin students who learned piano first.  Also, I just couldn't play an organ either because I tended to try to play it like a piano.surprise  That tendency didn't work out at all well on the violin.frown  I never asked my parents how they felt about my violin fiasco.  But they would tend to go outside whenever I was practicing.indecision  And I believe it was the violin teacher who gave up on me instead of t'other way 'round.

This discussion has been closed.