Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,391
    edited February 2022

TJohn said:

Rezca said:

A Roc perched on a rock.    Tweaking the materials on the leaves right now and then I don't know what else if anything I'll do.

It rocks. And rocs. yes 

Thanks! 

'plaint though, In that for whatever reason there's some weird opacity issues on some of the objects. After about forty minutes scrambling my head and not seeing any noticeable results and in fact one test scene producing an entirely different problem... I found out the problem by sheer chance. And it happened to be one of those "technical settings" in the render engine that I never really touch. 

In Octane's kernel settings there's an option called "Ray Epsilon".  It defaults to 0.0001  and out of idle curiosity I take a shot and bump it up a few decimal values.  Lo and behold, the problem got worse. So I quickly reverse that and bring it down to 0.00001  and the problem pretty much goes away.

So now I can finish this scene xD  Oh, and another non-complaint in that when I came back to the scene after leaving it for some test scenes the Eagle remained in the pose I left it in!

Post edited by Rezca on
    edited February 2022

Posted!   So happy to have finished this~

Post edited by Rezca on
  • mdingmding Posts: 1,142
    edited February 2022

Inspiring @Rezca! Did you use a very subtle DOF effect (right side behind eagle, looks to me a tiny bit hazy, love that)?

Post edited by mding on
    edited February 2022

mding said:

Inspiring @Rezca! Did you use a very subtle DOF effect (right side behind eagle, looks to me a tiny bit hazy, love that)?

There's a little bit of DoF yes, as well as a small amount of 'fog' present - so a bit of both!

Screenshot 2022-02-18 085443.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 408K
    Post edited by Rezca on

Thanks @Rezca! The scene is definitely more complex than it seems to be at first glance.

edited February 2022

mding said:

Thanks @Rezca! The scene is definitely more complex than it seems to be at first glance.

I think its a shame I spent so long on the foreground part and then a lot of it ended up not really being all that visible laugh

It does look pretty good,  and I like how Octane applies the Depth of Field to the wireframe renders too

Each of the scattering objects have unique weight maps for them;  the rocks fallen leaves and grass each use different maps!

Eagle_tmp_Close0000.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 424K
    Eagle_tmp_Close0000_ao.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 497K
    Screenshot 2022-02-18 094538.jpg
    926 x 535 - 401K
    Screenshot 2022-02-18 094548.jpg
    928 x 535 - 358K
    Screenshot 2022-02-18 094527.jpg
    926 x 539 - 413K
    Eagle_tmp_Close0000_wire.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 690K
    Post edited by Rezca on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

TJohn said:

Complaint: For those who were wondering what NFTs are good for.

LOL! Your render is very good but I wouldn't of believed it. That's pretty neat though that DeviantArt is spidering for you all though. 

Rezca said:

mding said:

I think its a shame I spent so long on the foreground part and then a lot of it ended up not really being all that visible laugh

It does look pretty good,  and I like how Octane applies the Depth of Field to the wireframe renders too

Each of the scattering objects have unique weight maps for them;  the rocks fallen leaves and grass each use different maps!

@Rezca: DOF on wireframe would be very helpful for people with weaker hardware like me, lol.

But I don't believe the details were lost on everybody. On my 10" tablet, I might get distracted from aspects of a render, but i guess most look at the images on 20" monitors, were you can see them pretty well, if you don't hurry from one image to the next one.

One last question: do you place a lot of your plant props (instances) yourself, or are they scattered mostly automatically? I am not quite sure yet how to handle larger environments, so I would like to know, my guess is that at least some have to be placed manually, in order to achieve the best results.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,437
    edited February 2022

nonesuch00 said:

TJohn said:

LOL! Your render is very good but I wouldn't of believed it. That's pretty neat though that DeviantArt is spidering for you all though. 

Nope. Only the people who have/buy a Core Membership...

Post edited by N-RArts on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

N-RArts said:

nonesuch00 said:

TJohn said:

Nope. Only the people who have/buy a Core Membership :(

OK, that is interesting. It makes me curious to go try it out (someday).

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,020

nonesuch00 said:

N-RArts said:

nonesuch00 said:

TJohn said:

Nope. Only the people who have/buy a Core Membership :(

OK, that is interesting. It makes me curious to go try it out (someday).

Actually that part of the service was temporarily free. If you are wondering, there were 9 of my works that went through this. They have since been taken down and the person is no longer there. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,220

At the doctor's office, and my diagnosis was something with no apparent cause and no real way to treat it other than waiting for it to go away. 

mding said:

Rezca said:

mding said:

@Rezca: DOF on wireframe would be very helpful for people with weaker hardware like me, lol.

But I don't believe the details were lost on everybody. On my 10" tablet, I might get distracted from aspects of a render, but i guess most look at the images on 20" monitors, were you can see them pretty well, if you don't hurry from one image to the next one.

One last question: do you place a lot of your plant props (instances) yourself, or are they scattered mostly automatically? I am not quite sure yet how to handle larger environments, so I would like to know, my guess is that at least some have to be placed manually, in order to achieve the best results.

In the screenshots the objects that are present are the ones placed by hand.  The rest are scattered and the yellow paint on the surfaces are telling Octane where it should be placing the objects. I'm still getting used to it, but in my opinion it offers a little less control than Cinema 4D's native MoGraph cloners and Vue's Ecosystems,  but it definitely gets the job done and gets it done well.  SurfaceSpread also had things like not spawning clones outside of the camera's field of view and various other neat things, and it worked dynamically too so if the camera was animated it'd delete/despawn clones that fell outside of its FoV when it changed and so on.  I can't remember why I stopped using it, but I vaguely want to say it was because it didn't play nicely with one of the render engines I was using.  Maybe I'll reinstall it at some point and see if it works out with the current setup I've been going with,  but for now MoGraph and Octane Scatter work well enough for what I do.

Back on the question,  I mostly place something by hand only if it's a main focus or if it for whatever reason demands absolute precision in its placement,  like filling out an empty spot a cloner missed and I didn't feel like randomizing the scatter seeds further or increasing the clone count to see if it eventually puts something there - especially if I already found a seed that I like the looks of.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666

post office is having issues.  The status page for the envelope says that the mail carrier delivered the envelope on February 12 but I haven't received it in the mailbox.

edited February 2022

I am getting really, really, tired of this happening to figures I'm working on.

I load the file, everything's fine. I work on it, everything's fine. I save it and close it, and when I come back this is what I'm greeted with and on backup files as well.

I check, multiple times, to make sure all the usual suspects aren't to blame.  The figure's been bound to the current pose and its state, all the joints and meshes and whatever are all scaled the same, but for whatever reason this just keeps happening and I don't know why!!!  angry

Screenshot 2022-02-18 162447.jpg
    922 x 535 - 45K
    Post edited by Rezca on

Aaaah,  but I think I solved that one there.  Disable the Skin object, move the controller objects to make the rig match where the geometry zipped over to, then set that as the new bind pose and re-enable the Skin.  Popping it into multiple different files and closing/reopening it several times, and it's all good.

I just wish I knew why it did that to begin with, since from everything I could tell it was working okay up until I closed the file?  <shrugs>  Well I know what to do in the future the next time this happens I guess.  :add weary expression emote here:

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,437

TJohn said:

Actually that part of the service was temporarily free. If you are wondering, there were 9 of my works that went through this. They have since been taken down and the person is no longer there. 

The same person stole all nine images? surprise

It's three months protection with no Core Membership. Then it's down to you, and good ol' Google Lens. Although I watermark my stuff, it's still putting me off posting renders online. 

Although I do find it funny (just to clarify, "odd-funny", not "haha-funny"), that when something like this happens, no one comes out to defend NFTs. 

We pay all that money to buy content. We spend all of those hours creating/rendering a scene. Then, if you want to make NFTs, you have to buy the Interactive Licenses. 

Yet some oik can just come along, steal any render/image, and have the absolute gall to make (invisible) money out of it. With not having to prove they've created it, owned the content, or bought the interactive licenses!  

...I have a feeling I'm going to sink like the Titanic...

@Rezca so you would usually rather recommend finding the right scatter seed. Thankyou, I didn't really pay attention to that.

A C4D question might rather find answer at a more suitable forum, I mean you wouldn't have to find out everything on your own...

edited February 2022

Misty liked the Biguanas.  I do too.  Shame its not in the Store anymore :(

Valley Floor__1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 923K
    Post edited by Rezca on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited February 2022

...I really like that.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Rezca said:

Noticed that one of your images of the feathered raptor is trending on the gallery page. Congrats, it's nice to be noticed.  yes

edited February 2022

TJohn said:

Rezca said:

Noticed that one of your images of the feathered raptor is trending on the gallery page. Congrats, it's nice to be noticed.  yes

Aaaah that's cool ;A;  I saw it on page 4 :D   The Roc one is on page 3!   That's interesting~ Thanks for pointing it out!

kyoto kid said:

...I really like that.

Thanks!  Still some more I'd like to do with the image as well  (Edit: Assuming you were referring to my post haha)

Post edited by Rezca on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

...yeah became a Core member during their special 50% Valentines sale. 20$ for a yer, not too bad.   I'll see how it goes for a year.

Just have the basic membership which offers the NFT image recognition.

• LeatherGryphon said:

Definite non-complaint:  Yay!  Customer's sick Dell Touchscreen AIO computer seems to be all up to snuff now.  It runs pretty well for it's limitation, now that all the backlogged updates and virus operations have caught up and gone back to idle mode.  

I like it when I can fix what broke when I touched it.frown  (* Sometimes I swear that I have an anti-Midas touch when it comes to other people's toys.*)

You should quit now while you're behind.  Warranty is five minutes, and that expired 5 minutes into the 10 mile ride to his place.  Sorry!  Your customer should buy an iPad.  They're indestructible, and a new one would probably outlast him.  If he's hard up for cash, then a great second choice would be a $200 Chromebook.

When you get out of there, change your phone number.  That may sound harsh, but you're hoping to retire from crawling on the carpet with the bugs, right?

edited February 2022

New image! :D

Biguana's one of the oldest models I've bought here,  and I still love the guy~

Post edited by Rezca on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,728

I listed to the the yellow wallpaper audiobook last night, but now I can't remember how it ended.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited February 2022

Never mind... 

Post edited by McGyver on

McGyver said:

Never mind... 

But now I must mind...

Complaint: bad dizzy spell last night. Same old inner ear problems from allergies. Mostly worse at night.

Non-complaint: Better now. 

Happy February 20, 2022! Today is:

National Love Your Pet Day

Clean Out Your Bookcase Day

National Cherry Pie Day

National Comfy Day

National Handcuff Day

World Whale Day

No Politics Day

There are others, but these are my favorites.

Have a good day!

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,728

I wish I had a bookcase to clean.

This discussion has been closed.