Windows 10 - It's heeerrre! and it's free for some

Comments

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604

So, one week post 10 Day, and I have done three upgrades. Two on laptops, one of a Windows tablet. Both laptops have NVidia graphics and neither experienced driver problems, so I count myself as having been lucky there. I also count myself lucky by not having experienced any software problems or lost configurations. The worst experience was with a Linx 8 Windows tablet which, depsite being certified by M$ as being ready for Windows 10, it wasn't; the accelerometer wasn't driving auto screen rotation and required the installation of an additional driver which I had to hunt down using Google.

Overall it hasn't been the disaster that I expected. BUT ... anyone who has installed 10 should really do some research about the numerous privacy settings. If you opted for the defaults, you might be surprised by how much of your personal data is being shared with M$ for them to use to enhance their corporate profits. What? You thought 10 was FREE? Get outta here! wink

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885

My personal record so far:

3 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,124

I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 pro but I do not see any differences.  

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,970

Still waiting to do one update ... ;)

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164

will M$ be be charging a subscription service fees for windows 10 ? as a ISO investor in MS stock  I say yes they will. At the end of January this year, Microsoft filed a trademark for "Windows 365," which sounded a lot like Office 365, a cloud subscription-based productivity suite. So A more likely scenario is that Microsoft will combine Office 365 and Windows 10 into a single package tethered to its cloud service, "Azure". Since users would require a subscription to access Office 365 like they do now to use MS office., the entire package could be marketed as "Windows 365." Therefore, the OS itself would be free, but users would be encouraged to subscribe to additional productivity and cloud services.

you can read the whole investment opinion story on MS cloud services  here http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/03/19/will-microsoft-corporations-windows-10-end-up-bein.aspx

So in my opinion and as a stock investor I too believe that it will be that MS will charge for cloud OS in the near future its inevitable and they only way they will be able to compeat with google chrome OS and  Amazon Prime.,.  MS is known for bait and switch & has been sued for it many times., will they with windows 10.. that yet to be seen but I do believe it is eventually inevitable

I'm readying my desk to to be a dual OS system  i just got a new 1 TB SSD  for $485  at tiger direct. and addded it to my PC with a ploy switch.... it will run my win7 pro on my 564 gig SSD and lynx on my 1 tb.  the more i read about windows 10 and the performance issues with third party hardware/spftware . the more i am going to stay away from it. and may even change over to apple eventually so i can keep my invested performence as high as i can . win 10 to me sounds like a snake in the grass waiting to show its ugly head.

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited August 2015

I personally don't like it. Its too much like Vista. Its really pretty but is very resource heavy and comes preloaded with too much useless crap. I hate live tiles, Hate Cortana because its backed by bing and bing sucks, I hate that they left in the Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver. The new Start Menu is still Craptastic so I have to install Classic Shell on any of the machines I fix or put Windows 10 on. There is still no true Safemode or other modes at that. There is not Clean State, Windows updates still suck. There is way too much wrong with it for anyone that needs a computer for other than gaming and eating fecal material. For productivity, it flat out sucks.

Post edited by JohnDelaquiox on
    edited August 2015

With the Windows 365 trademark, the Windows 10 subscription plan becomes apparent Read full story here http://www.techrepublic.com/article/with-the-windows-365-trademark-the-windows-10-subscription-plan-becomes-apparent/

If you don;t think windows won't be going to a subscriptions model in the future then i have a bridge in New York I like to sell you.

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited August 2015

Ubuntu is a complete desktop Linux operating system http://www.linux.com/directory/Distributions/popular-distributions/ubuntu

you can get it here free as well  http://www.ubuntu.com/ ; the free desk top download link is here http://www.ubuntu.com/download

this is going to be the way people are going to avoid using MS windows and what I loaded on my new 1tb SSD

and yes they do have a cloud service as well for mobil devices

Post edited by Ivy on
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

So,,in layman's terms, I will basically be renting Daz Studio from MS.That applies to anything on MY computer that requires windows to function.We need a linux version of studio more now than ever.I know there is wine for trying to run windows programs in linux,but a native client would be a much better solution.

I've had some luck getting some parts to run in wine.I got the DIM working, except for the .exe stuff I'm still working on that.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157

Sorry, not going back to Linux.  I did that for 2 years. I'm sure it's allot better now but until they have NATIVE support for the programs I use regularly just not going to happen here. 

Thanks Cath for the info.  Not sure why MS couldn't figure out a way around that but if that's the case I guess I'll just have to wait till this machine dies or I want an new one and do it then.  In the mean time I have the laptop at work to work with and get famililar with the new MS experience. 

Thank Ivy for the link.  I'll go read that and see what evil MS is up to now! 

Ivy said:

Ubuntu is a complete desktop Linux operating system http://www.linux.com/directory/Distributions/popular-distributions/ubuntu

you can get it here free as well  http://www.ubuntu.com/ ; the free desk top download link is here http://www.ubuntu.com/download

this is going to be the way people are going to avoid using MS windows and what I loaded on my new 1tb SSD

There is a very real danger here for M$. They're already pretty unpopular with a lot of people over the Windows 8 + 0.1 fiasco, add to that the new policies on mandatory system and driver updates, an aggressive personal data harvesting policy and an operating system in Windows 10 that really isn't anything special at all, and they could find themselves in a lot of trouble. They have already squandered billions on trying to get into mobile (the Nokia acquisition and the Surface tablet to name but two); now they're trying to ram cloud services down people's throats. And they don't listen. They just don't listen to anyone except themselves because they have evolved around the "We Know What's Best For You" culture and they just can't change.

Frankly the only thing that is saving them right now is that Linux is not Windows. Yes, you can get Linux "versions" of most apps for Windows, and you can just about run native Windows apps using WINE, but it's all a lot of hard work for the average user. And then there's Android. Tablets and Smartphones everywhere and they're not running Windows ... and probably never will in any huge number. Windows 10 just doesn't deliver the ease of use and small footprint.

All the danger signs are there for M$.

It may be - just may be - that forcing users into paying a monthly rental to use the PC that they've already paid for, and to harvest all their personal data so that they can monetize it indiscriminately, is one step too far. I certainly hope so.

edited August 2015
    acanthis said:
    Ivy said:

There is a very real danger here for M$. They're already pretty unpopular with a lot of people over the Windows 8 + 0.1 fiasco, add to that the new policies on mandatory system and driver updates, an aggressive personal data harvesting policy and an operating system in Windows 10 that really isn't anything special at all, and they could find themselves in a lot of trouble. They have already squandered billions on trying to get into mobile (the Nokia acquisition and the Surface tablet to name but two); now they're trying to ram cloud services down people's throats. And they don't listen. They just don't listen to anyone except themselves because they have evolved around the "We Know What's Best For You" culture and they just can't change.

Frankly the only thing that is saving them right now is that Linux is not Windows. Yes, you can get Linux "versions" of most apps for Windows, and you can just about run native Windows apps using WINE, but it's all a lot of hard work for the average user. And then there's Android. Tablets and Smartphones everywhere and they're not running Windows ... and probably never will in any huge number. Windows 10 just doesn't deliver the ease of use and small footprint.

It may be - just may be - that forcing users into paying a monthly rental to use the PC that they've already paid for, and to harvest all their personal data so that they can monetize it indiscriminately, is one step too far. I certainly hope so.

when MS released the surface tablet which that OS is a cloud subscription only operating system I know I had one and returned it to best buy when i found out i had to pay $9.99 a month tio run my surface tablet. which ran off MS cloud services. .    why would you not think that MS would not do this for PC OS as well   MS is calling windows 10 a service already not a operating system,  you got to read between the lines

Post edited by Ivy on
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited August 2015
    Bobvan said:

M$ is really pushy. The update d/l in the BG a few days back but I too am waiting a bit but this keeps popping up and can't be closed..

Uninstall these 2 Windows Updates and hide them so you don't keep getting notified about them:

kb3035583

kb2952664

Just removed and hid them on my win 7 home machione thanks man

Post edited by Bobvan on

I went ahead and unchecked the Win 10 update in and hide it.... I'll stay connected to this thread in case anyone has a work around that pops up as I really really don't want to go through a clean install right now.. I have too many projects going on.... and not enough time to deal with that too! 

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652

Ram if I chose to install it it will be on the win 7 laptop which would be a clean install. I only had the machine a few months but leaving 7 on my main  tower

edited August 2015
    Ivy said:
    acanthis said:
    Ivy said:

when MS released the surface tablet which that OS is a cloud subscription only operating system I know I had one and returned it to best buy when i found out i had to pay $9.99 a month tio run my surface tablet. which ran off MS cloud services. .    why would you not think that MS would not do this for PC OS as well   MS is calling windows 10 a service already not a operating system,  you got to read between the lines

I DO think M$ would do this. I wasn't saying that I thought otherwise, only that I wondered if it would hurt them in the long term and force them to see sense. I certainly don't need to read between the lines!

Post edited by acanthis on

New Windows 10 forums, same folks that brough you the Seven and Eight forums

http://www.tenforums.com/

acanthis said:
    Ivy said:
    acanthis said:
    Ivy said:

I DO think M$ would do this. I wasn't saying that I thought otherwise, only that I wondered if it would hurt them in the long term and force them to see sense. I certainly don't need to read between the lines!

I was only agreeing with you :)

MEC4D said:

The problem is the hard drive , in many cases WIN10 can't make them bootable after instalation especially with the purchased PCs where the hd need to be converted from MBR (Master Boot Record) disk to a GPT (GUID - Globally Unique Identifer) that WIN10 requiring , sadly it will remove all files on the hd , MBR disk are not upgradable in this case with win10 even if you choice a fresh install , they need to be converted what take 2 min while installing WIN10 from ISO

RAMWolff said:

Well that's the way it goes... tried twice... no go on the big system.  Laptop, piece of cake... I'm not stressing about any more.  If MS wants me to join in the fun they need to fix what ever is going on with the set up.  Just as well.............

Well from the info you imparted to me about the MBR VS the GPT... take a look at my first two partitions before C... there is the 300 Mb... not sure if the failed installation created that and then failed but it was created.  That was not there the other day when I was making my Ready Boost partition (which was stupid because it doesn't work like that but I can use it as a scratch disk so it stays). 

Partitions.jpg
    1731 x 1015 - 232K

I work for a 75K+ employees company, a few years ago heads decided to switch for free solutions, linux, openoffice, etc. It was a real disaster, lack of support, unusable computers for the lack of drivers, virus-infected computers, dificulties to share documents with suppliers. Heads surely saved some considerable amount of money, but at what cost. It was a big mistake. Finally we are using professional solutions, again.

I don't see a problem paying for a service if this service is saving me time and making me more productive. If the computer is only used for browsing it doesn't make sense to use any robust OS, free or not.

RAMWolff said:
    MEC4D said:

The problem is the hard drive , in many cases WIN10 can't make them bootable after instalation especially with the purchased PCs where the hd need to be converted from MBR (Master Boot Record) disk to a GPT (GUID - Globally Unique Identifer) that WIN10 requiring , sadly it will remove all files on the hd , MBR disk are not upgradable in this case with win10 even if you choice a fresh install , they need to be converted what take 2 min while installing WIN10 from ISO

RAMWolff said:

Well that's the way it goes... tried twice... no go on the big system.  Laptop, piece of cake... I'm not stressing about any more.  If MS wants me to join in the fun they need to fix what ever is going on with the set up.  Just as well.............

Well from the info you imparted to me about the MBR VS the GPT... take a look at my first two partitions before C... there is the 300 Mb... not sure if the failed installation created that and then failed but it was created.  That was not there the other day when I was making my Ready Boost partition (which was stupid because it doesn't work like that but I can use it as a scratch disk so it stays). 

Both 300Mb and 99Mb are recovery partitions, it is no a good idea mess with them.

Why do I all of a sudden have a new 300 Mb partition though?  That was NOT there a week ago! 

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

The reason windows10 don't want update becouse of the previews recovery partitions  of your last OS  , I had the same issue on my second laptop and PC , and it will prevent Win10 upgrade . I contacted the support and they give me hind about the GPT

RAMWolff said:
    MEC4D said:

RAMWolff said:

That is dead end here .. Win8 did not had problems with this but win10 UPGRADE can't past it and will no reboot to finish the instalation ending in error . 

jag11 said:
    RAMWolff said:
    MEC4D said:

RAMWolff said:

Both 300Mb and 99Mb are recovery partitions, it is no a good idea mess with them.

RAMWolff said:

Why do I all of a sudden have a new 300 Mb partition though?  That was NOT there a week ago! 

They were there but hidden in previous versions, now they were assigned a drive letter. They area called Reserved System Partitions.

MEC4D said:

The reason windows10 don't want update becouse of the previews recovery partitions  of your last OS  , I had the same issue on my second laptop and PC , and it will prevent Win10 upgrade . I contacted the support and they give me hind about the GPT

RAMWolff said:
    MEC4D said:

RAMWolff said:

My laptop was in the same situation, all I did was delete some language files on that particular partition and that was it.

edited August 2015

That is correct they was always there just hidden . After I clean my old laptop I got 500GB extra space as it was used for the  Reserved System Partition with win8, and really weird that so much space was wasted

jag11 said:
    RAMWolff said:

They were there but hidden in previous versions, now they were assigned a drive letter. They area called Reserved System Partitions.

Post edited by MEC4D on
    MEC4D said:

That is correct they was always there just hidden . After I clean my old laptop I got 500GB extra space as it was used for the  Reserved System Partition with win8, and really weird that so much space was wasted

jag11 said:
    RAMWolff said:

That's the reason I always perform clean installations. I like to control what's going on.

My attempt to clean and remove the system restore partition did still not allowed me to upgrade to win10  until I clean the full drive and convert it all to GPT so win10 could assign it and make it bootable to finish the instalation

jag11 said:
    MEC4D said:

RAMWolff said:
    MEC4D said:

RAMWolff said:

My laptop was in the same situation, all I did was delete some language files on that particular partition and that was it.

same here , my PC workstation is the way it should so no more surprises and I rather payed for the new win10 than go any updates as it always mess things up sooner  or later  and my PC run so well again

jag11 said:
    MEC4D said:

jag11 said:
    RAMWolff said:

That's the reason I always perform clean installations. I like to control what's going on.