Windows 10 - It's heeerrre! and it's free for some

Comments

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652

M$ is really pushy. The update d/l in the BG a few days back but I too am waiting a bit but this keeps popping up and can't be closed..

Untitled.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 213K
  • MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    RAMWolff said:

I too got my official pop up notice this AM upon booting into my system.  I hit the X for the time being and will wait a bit myself.  Perhaps on Sunday but I really really want this NVIDIA driver issue resolved first. 

Oh that is really annoying. I had a heck of a time getting my driver updates to install. I had to go in and turn off automatic updates in windows again, Then after a reboot or two I was able to install the drivers.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,395

Here's the driver info and what my cards are

Driver Provider      NVIDIA
    Driver Date          7/23/2015
    Driver Version       10.10.13.5362

GTX760OC with dual monitors
    660Ti

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157

Hmmm, that's great info Robert.  Did you install the new driver while you were still Win 8.1 or did that new driver get installed during the update to Win 10? 

During the update

OK.  I downloaded the driver a week or so ago so just wondered if I should before but perhaps not, just let the update do it's thing IT'S way.  I too run Win 8.1 so fingers crossed that it's smooth going....

Took about an hour but everything worked fine on mine hope you have the same experiance 

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

Robert, , your driver number is what I used before win10 update , then after update they  released new on 29 of july , my both card perform just perfect sith new driver DS don't incrase speed when adding the second card , so 2 or one the same speed .. my system is in perfect condition with all new drivers for all devices, I run card tests also and both working on the same level, maybe be DS-Iray related problem

Here's the driver info and what my cards are

Driver Provider      NVIDIA
    Driver Date          7/23/2015
    Driver Version       10.10.13.5362

GTX760OC with dual monitors
    660Ti

Due to cousins death June 26 have been busy with estate so hadn't updated anything on system's before Win10 upgrade actually had one system down for about 2 weeks with a dead power supply

Finally fired both systms up on Tuesday and upgraded

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,940

I've "reserved" my copy of Windows10 for my three eligible machines (a Win7 laptop, a Win7-Pro desktop and a Win8.1-Pro desktop) but after all the discussions I think I'll just wait.  I'm actually in the market to buy or build a new and better machine for graphic use only.  But I think I'll actually buy a Win7-Pro OS to put on it with the option to upgrade before the offer expires.  Or maybe never upgrade at all.  If this new machine is a high performance graphic machine and not used for browsing or mail then why would I need to ever abandon a fully functional and very familiar Win7-Pro?  I still have my older machines that perform those services and could be sacrificed to Microsoft's demons if necessary.

...my sentiments exactly. 

I have Win7 on my current graphics system and should I find the means to scare up the funds for my new design, will have Win7 Pro on that one  Yeah 512 GB support would be nice but not worth all the issues I have read about concerning Win 10 as well as not worth the bother of 8/8.1's "smartphone" UI.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    Bobvan said:

M$ is really pushy. The update d/l in the BG a few days back but I too am waiting a bit but this keeps popping up and can't be closed..

Uninstall these 2 Windows Updates and hide them so you don't keep getting notified about them:

kb3035583

kb2952664

I'm atwork currently upgrading the laptop just to see how it goes. I'm writing this from my tablet. I'm at 47%  We shall see how all this goes. *fingers crossed*

RAMWolff said:

I'm atwork currently upgrading the laptop just to see how it goes. I'm writing this from my tablet. I'm at 47%  We shall see how all this goes. *fingers crossed*

My laptops whith 8.1 home took over two hours to upgrade no problems just slow on the upgrade

Did them before I did the desktops just for safety's sake 

Just finished.... looks about the same after a few tweaks.  I HATE the flat look though, I want to get color back on the tops of my windows.  That's really a bad thing they did there.  Looked all over for tweaks for that on board but looks like I'll have to look in the web.  Man, what were they thinking with that decision!  lol  frown

OH and my side bar still works.  My Rocket App Launcher still works just fine.  It was very easy to find the default apps settings to put Irfanview, Firefox and iTunes as the default apps for those areas... not sure why folks are complaining about that sort of stuff.   EASY! 

edited August 2015
    Bobvan said:

Uninstall these 2 Windows Updates and hide them so you don't keep getting notified about them:

kb3035583

kb2952664

Thanks how does one "hide updates" I still may change it next week but am planning on having someone clean install it for me if I do. That would be the win 8 laptop shown above. It does run an nvidia 980M. The issue seems to be with using iray, I luxrender so not sure it would affect me.. I do plan on learning iray @ some point perhaps they would solve the issues by then..

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • thd777thd777 Posts: 933
    Bobvan said:
    Bobvan said:

kb3035583

kb2952664

Thanks how does one "hide updates" I still may change it next week but am planning on having someone clean install it for me if I do. That would be the win 8 laptop shown above. It does run an nvidia 980M. The issue seems to be with using iray, I luxrender so not sure it would affect me.. I do plan on learning iray @ some point perhaps they would solve the issues by then..

Go to Windows Update and select the update you want to hide. Right click and select "Hide Update".

TD

K thanks

I posted link in the preview post about utility that allow you to add new features and also windows color bar and your own colors of choice 

you can download it from here http://winaero.com/ ;

RAMWolff said:

Just finished.... looks about the same after a few tweaks.  I HATE the flat look though, I want to get color back on the tops of my windows.  That's really a bad thing they did there.  Looked all over for tweaks for that on board but looks like I'll have to look in the web.  Man, what were they thinking with that decision!  lol  frown

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited August 2015

"Yeah 512 GB support would be nice"

Well, it might be if the average person could actually use it, KK. Most consumer motherboards have four RAM slots. Some server boards and/or multi-socket boards have eight. To use 512 GB in a four slot consumer board, you would need 4 x 128 GB modules, and they are targeted at the server market (big bucks). Even with an eight slot board, you would need 8 x 64 GB modules, and again that is server market stuff. The most I have seen in a single consumer module is 32 GB, and those are relatively rare, with.8 GB per module being most common, and 16 GB less so. With a four slot consumer board and W7 Pro, you could still run four 32 GB modules and remain within the 192 GB limit, assuming that you could afford 32 GB modules to begin with (I don;t even want to look :) ).

Edit: I guess I should have also pointed out another system limitation that comes into play beyond those imposed by RAM slots and the cost and availability of larger capacity ram modules. There is also a limitation imposed by the memory controller on the CPU, which, for mainstream Intel processors, is currently 64 GB. The exception to this would be the Xeon line of processors that support 6x that.

Post edited by SixDs on
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 885

For a 4 x DDR4 HYPERX 64GB = 256Gb aprox 5 grand. crying

My decisions to buy something are supported on two simple questions, if answer is Yes on both answers, decision is a "Fire at will". If any of them is No, decision is a "Forget it".

Questions are:

1. Do I have the money?
    2. Do I need it?

My MSI Motherboard have 8 sockets but I have a lot of 4GB RAM sticks at home so use only 32GB of RAM , when I model in Zbrush it get pretty fast down as most projects ends with 64GB in high resolution or even bigger but Zbrush partially save it to the disk in process so at the end I am like with 1-2 GB left for Zbrush usage . The system right now use 3GB of RAM

SixDs said:

"Yeah 512 GB support would be nice"

Well, it might be if the average person could actually use it, KK. Most consumer motherboards have four RAM slots. Some server boards and/or multi-socket boards have eight. To use 512 GB in a four slot consumer board, you would need 4 x 128 GB modules, and they are targeted at the server market (big bucks). Even with an eight slot board, you would need 8 x 64 GB modules, and again that is server market stuff. The most I have seen in a single consumer module is 32 GB, and those are relatively rare, with.8 GB per module being most common, and 16 GB less so. With a four slot consumer board and W7 Pro, you could still run four 32 GB modules and remain within the 192 GB limit, assuming that you could afford 32 GB modules to begin with (I don;t even want to look :) ).

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2015

Microsoft is using Windows 10 to send ads thru the OS. I just got my first pop-up ad offer for Microsoft Office.

Post edited by nDelphi on
    MEC4D said:

I posted link in the preview post about utility that allow you to add new features and also windows color bar and your own colors of choice 

you can download it from here http://winaero.com/ ;

RAMWolff said:

Thank you Cath.  Got it.  I think there is something amiss from your link though, got an error page message... shortened the link and went right to the page.  Looks like a VERY useful application.  Saved to my Dropbox to send to work when I get in on Saturday to tweak 10 there.  I'm currently downloading for my machine here at home.  Seeing how the apps all work and things are pretty easily set "right" I think upgrading at home is fine.... hope it goes as smoothly as it did at work.  surprise

Well that's the way it goes... tried twice... no go on the big system.  Laptop, piece of cake... I'm not stressing about any more.  If MS wants me to join in the fun they need to fix what ever is going on with the set up.  Just as well.............

edited August 2015

The problem is the hard drive , in many cases WIN10 can't make them bootable after instalation especially with the purchased PCs where the hd need to be converted from MBR (Master Boot Record) disk to a GPT (GUID - Globally Unique Identifer) that WIN10 requiring , sadly it will remove all files on the hd , MBR disk are not upgradable in this case with win10 even if you choice a fresh install , they need to be converted what take 2 min while installing WIN10 from ISO

RAMWolff said:

Well that's the way it goes... tried twice... no go on the big system.  Laptop, piece of cake... I'm not stressing about any more.  If MS wants me to join in the fun they need to fix what ever is going on with the set up.  Just as well.............

Post edited by MEC4D on
  • I ported over today 2 out of 3 computers I've got 2X GTX 980Ti Win 10 need the new Nvida drivers to get mutiple monitors. It's hard to say if it's quicker or not, it was quick to start with. Very impressed how easy it was and didn't have to reinstall any program. Thumbs up here :)yes

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,800

I tried to install the thing yesterday. It ended-up corrupting my whole system into a black screen before it was even half-way into installing the feature divices... >:(

Here WAS my specs:

PC Specs.png
    1329 x 735 - 97K
    NVIDIA.png
    1600 x 900 - 218K
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,452

Windows10:  Is it a cake or a bomb?

MrKiddBomb.jpg
    324 x 331 - 79K
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 885

I tried to install the thing yesterday. It ended-up corrupting my whole system into a black screen before it was even half-way into installing the feature divices... >:(

It's always a good idea to backup first. But not Microsoft's solution, it is just too basic.