Windows 10 - It's heeerrre! and it's free for some

Comments

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited August 2015

I'm interested in knowing. Do you use Adobe products? are you using creative cloud or creative suite?  Do you know after one years time paying for all the creative cloud serves  you would have paid them enough for the stand alone master collection creative suite cs6, 

If you buy the standalone operating system license you own it, if you rent or pay service fees  for the the operating system  then they can hold you hostage in order for you to continue to use your software.   Heres another question. would you rather own a copy of daz studio licensed as a standalone software or would you rather pay a subscription service for it? and then have to buy the models and products on top of that.  my guess most people would not be using daz studio anymore if they had to pay a service fee every month in order to render art work and then have to buy the models and products for it too. i see no difference with MS Operating system. why pay for a service fee then have to pay for app fees on top of that. then be limited on what browsers and programs that are allowed to run on said operating system. that would not be very efficient for your small business .

Subscription service fees are great for Microsoft or other cloud providers.. but not so much if your a small business owner trying to make ends meet.  now just add monthly service fees to use a operating system that in the long term would be more cost effect to own the stand alone product.

do you rent your car or own it? unless your a sale person that travels a lot of miles  its not worht leasing a car. paying $350 plus a month for the lease then have to turn it in at the end of the 3 year contract. what do you have to show for your investment  that you put into your leased car. Nothing, zip, nill. .. I have a 3000gt vr4 which I own and its paid for and i will continue to own until i decide to sell it .. if it were leased then i shelled out a bunch of money for nothing .  i much rather own a standlone then be held hostage for service fees.

jag11 said:

I work for a 75K+ employees company, a few years ago heads decided to switch for free solutions, linux, openoffice, etc. It was a real disaster, lack of support, unusable computers for the lack of drivers, virus-infected computers, dificulties to share documents with suppliers. Heads surely saved some considerable amount of money, but at what cost. It was a big mistake. Finally we are using professional solutions, again.

I don't see a problem paying for a service if this service is saving me time and making me more productive. If the computer is only used for browsing it doesn't make sense to use any robust OS, free or not.

Post edited by Ivy on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157

Problem, aside from the time issue and loosing all my settings is that the D drive partition is pretty important, so I can't clear the entire hardrive out to make this happen. 

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126
    jag11 said:

I work for a 75K+ employees company, a few years ago heads decided to switch for free solutions, linux, openoffice, etc. It was a real disaster, lack of support, unusable computers for the lack of drivers, virus-infected computers, dificulties to share documents with suppliers. Heads surely saved some considerable amount of money, but at what cost. It was a big mistake. Finally we are using professional solutions, again.

I don't see a problem paying for a service if this service is saving me time and making me more productive. If the computer is only used for browsing it doesn't make sense to use any robust OS, free or not.

If it's good enough for the big boys,, it should suffice for me as well :)

http://www.linuxmovies.org/2013/03/27/dreamworks-animation-the-croods-tops-9100-linux-render-years

http://jordanhall.co.uk/general-articles/avatar-film-rendered-with-enormous-ubuntu-server-farm-4701468

Honestly,,I don't really care what OS I have to use to run my favorite programs,,I just don't want to have to rent the OS to have access to them.I chose linux becuase it's free.I can't afford a mac, and I can't afford another subscription just to access my computer.

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    Ivy said:

I'm interested in knowing. Do you use Adobe products? are you using creative cloud or creative suite?  Do you know after one years time paying for all the creative cloud serves  you would have paid them enough for the stand alone master collection creative suite cs6, 

If you buy the standalone operating system license you own it, if you rent or pay service fees  for the the operating system  then they can hold you hostage in order for you to continue to use your software.   Heres another question. would you rather own a copy of daz studio licensed as a standalone software or would you rather pay a subscription service for it? and then have to buy the models and products on top of that.  my guess most people would not be using daz studio anymore if they had to pay a service fee every month in order to render art work and then have to buy the models and products for it too. i see no difference with MS Operating system. why pay for a service fee then have to pay for app fees on top of that. then be limited on what browsers and programs that are allowed to run on said operating system. that would not be very efficient for your small business .

Subscription service fees are great for Microsoft or other cloud providers.. but not so much if your a small business owner trying to make ends meet.  now just add monthly service fees to use a operating system that in the long term would be more cost effect to own the stand alone product.

do you rent your car or own it? unless your a sale person that travels a lot of miles  its not worht leasing a car. paying $350 plus a month for the lease then have to turn it in at the end of the 3 year contract. what do you have to show for your investment  that you put into your leased car. Nothing, zip, nill. .. I have a 3000gt vr4 which I own and its paid for and i will continue to own until i decide to sell it .. if it were leased then i shelled out a bunch of money for nothing .  i much rather own a standlone then be held hostage for service fees.

jag11 said:

I have several subscription services, Adobe Creative Cloud, Office 365, AE Vault Access, Tune Up Utilities, Malwarebytes and more, before adopting these subscriptions schema I did some costs analysis, take office for example. Full version is dls 250+ (1 PC), subscription is 65+ yearly, 5+ monthly (5 PCs). On a subscription basis you'd need to make 45 monthly payments to equal 250 Full price. At 4 years distance I would have pay almost the same amount, but  for 5 devices, recent versions, regular updates with full technical support plus service extras. Another advantage is the low initial investment.

In the case of cars, apply another set of rules, I you have the money you can get an additional discount. I you dont have the money you can lease, with several options, keeping the car after 4/5 years o getting a new one every 2/3 years.

If I own the car I have to pay taxes, If I lease I can deduct expenses, you have to decide on your bussiness health. You have to think in simple terms, profit, what's best for you?, buying the chicken, or just the eggs?

Well I found a USB flash drive with enough space on it.... I'm putting the Windows 64 bit HOME edition on it so I don't have to deal with the long download again if I get this figured out. 

icecrmn said:
    jag11 said:

http://www.linuxmovies.org/2013/03/27/dreamworks-animation-the-croods-tops-9100-linux-render-years

http://jordanhall.co.uk/general-articles/avatar-film-rendered-with-enormous-ubuntu-server-farm-4701468

Honestly,,I don't really care what OS I have to use to run my favorite programs,,I just don't want to have to rent the OS to have access to them.I chose linux becuase it's free.I can't afford a mac, and I can't afford another subscription just to access my computer.

Althoug the linux is free I don't think the app to do that be free as well. Software is made by designers, engineers, developers, they have bills to pay too.

By the way, I don't think now is a good moment to debate on something based on speculation. I can't imagine paying a rent for Android, iOS or Windows on a phone, or your TV or your car computer.

• MS is probably hoping to make money from the store, as Apple does. They may well have taken out a TM so they have it at need, and they may have a plan to roll out a subscription-based OS (perhaps plus extras such as Office and other tools), but that doesn't mean that it will - or will be able to - replace the existing Windows EULA and impose a subscription model on users. Adobe's Creative Cloud was a new version, CS6 remains usable and is, or was until very recently, available from Adobe.

Yea, projecting a bunch of drama over something that's not happened yet and may not happen is just that.. drama.  I got enough of that in my own life, I don't tend to ponder such imaginings any more, all it does is creates unnecessary stress in one's life.  Lifes way to short and comes with it's very real stresses!  No thanks to fake stress... lol

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

Yep, I agree, at this pont it's all speculation.I do have Windows 10 installed and ,aside from a couple issues I posted here, it's been running pretty well.

jag11 said:
    icecrmn said:
    jag11 said:

Althoug the linux is free I don't think the app to do that be free as well. Software is made by designers, engineers, developers, they have bills to pay too.

By the way, I don't think now is a good moment to debate on something based on speculation. I can't imagine paying a rent for Android, iOS or Windows on a phone, or your TV or your car computer.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited August 2015

MS is probably hoping to make money from the store, as Apple does. They may well have taken out a TM so they have it at need, and they may have a plan to roll out a subscription-based OS (perhaps plus extras such as Office and other tools), but that doesn't mean that it will - or will be able to - replace the existing Windows EULA and impose a subscription model on users. Adobe's Creative Cloud was a new version, CS6 remains usable and is, or was until very recently, available from Adobe.

I think your right Richard i also believe ms to use Subscription services to sell more of their cloud services for the extras as well. but when they go to full on OS subscriptions with windows 365 that is when i will be done with MS after the experience i had with my surface tablet , its all not at all what its cracked up to be.  .as far as CS6 I have both the cs5 and cs6 master set which cs5 work still great in windows 7 on my desk top and cs6 on windows 10 on my HP laptop the cs4 web premium  though do not have html5  features for embedded videos and  SLL for ILS7 server  support... i  recently subscribe to inDesign & dreamweaver creative cloud  for the Jquery support which cs6 did not have.
    so properly over time my guess MS will phase out support for standalone software for App based cloud programing such as office. its all about the money.

Post edited by Ivy on
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

1+

RAMWolff said:

Yea, projecting a bunch of drama over something that's not happened yet and may not happen is just that.. drama.  I got enough of that in my own life, I don't tend to ponder such imaginings any more, all it does is creates unnecessary stress in one's life.  Lifes way to short and comes with it's very real stresses!  No thanks to fake stress... lol

edited August 2015

YAY, I'm in.  Moved my D partition to another drive, resized the C drive all the way out and after downloading the OS to a USB drive and starting the update via that it worked.  I can't believe it.  Same thing for set up as I did on the laptop.  When the OS started the Set up before it hit the main desktop (which is the same as it's always been, all me and all MY icons since they were all changed to ones I like) I hit the Advanced options (which are in tiny type to the left lower part of the screen) and turned off most of the sharing options until I'm more sure about turning features one.  Reset all my default programs like Cyberfox, iTunes and Irfanview and here I am.  WOW.... I just read a book about overcoming anxiety (which I suffer with) and got a couple of chapters read.  I feel less anxious because relaxing worked and the OS is up and running just fine!  WHEW!  cheeky

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,395

Glad you got it up and going

Good job Richard !  glad it worked for you

RAMWolff said:

YAY, I'm in.  Moved my D partition to another drive, resized the C drive all the way out and after downloading the OS to a USB drive and starting the update via that it worked.  I can't believe it.  Same thing for set up as I did on the laptop.  When the OS started the Set up before it hit the main desktop (which is the same as it's always been, all me and all MY icons since they were all changed to ones I like) I hit the Advanced options (which are in tiny type to the left lower part of the screen) and turned off most of the sharing options until I'm more sure about turning features one.  Reset all my default programs like Cyberfox, iTunes and Irfanview and here I am.  WOW.... I just read a book about overcoming anxiety (which I suffer with) and got a couple of chapters read.  I feel less anxious because relaxing worked and the OS is up and running just fine!  WHEW!  cheeky

Yup, quite happy with this whole thing.  I just wish I could figure out how to get the task bar color back, I like my Wolffie Green, it's just so dark... I just love that Winaero Tweaker Cath, I got things MOSTLY set up through that but yea, no options for the task bar color that I could find.  All the apps work so far including Display Fusion for my wall paper so that's all good. 

RAMWolff said:

Yup, quite happy with this whole thing.  I just wish I could figure out how to get the task bar color back, I like my Wolffie Green, it's just so dark... I just love that Winaero Tweaker Cath, I got things MOSTLY set up through that but yea, no options for the task bar color that I could find.  All the apps work so far including Display Fusion for my wall paper so that's all good. 

1. Click Start Button.
    2. Settings.
    3. Personalization.
    4. Colors, chose a color similar to Wolffie Green. wink
    5. Enable Show color on taskbar, Start menu and Action Center.
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,395
    RAMWolff said:

Try this http://www.thewindowsclub.com/add-custom-color-for-taskbar-windows-10

jag11 said:
    RAMWolff said:

1. Click Start Button.
    2. Settings.
    3. Personalization.
    4. Colors, chose a color similar to Wolffie Green. wink
    5. Enable Show color on taskbar, Start menu and Action Center.

Well that was easy!  lol

RAMWolff said:

Try this http://www.thewindowsclub.com/add-custom-color-for-taskbar-windows-10

Neato . Thanks Robert! 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,941
    edited August 2015

..well in five years, maybe Linux will finally be useable by IT challenged folks like myself and finally will allow all software to run on it.

...or I have landed a job that pays well enough for me to move over to the newest Mac Pro.  OS by subscription, bad idea

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited August 2015

Malwarebytes isn't subscription based. I have their AntiMalware and I've only ever paid once for what they now call a 'lifetime license'. I get updates whenever a new version comes out, but I've never paid for them.

Anyhow, back to Windows, one feature I hope isn't still there is the way the UAC warning sometimes behaves. Instead of the Yes/No box appearing on the desktop, it sometimes appears on the taskbar as a shield that sits there and flashes. I'm so expecting the Yes/No box that I don't look for that and it's really annoying when I look at the taskbar and there's that needy little shield screaming to be clicked. I don't recall seeing that much in 8 and I hope it's not there in 10.

I'm seeing far too much speculation and paranoia surrounding what MS 'might' do, let's see what they actually do

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited August 2015

Last night I had a four hour render trashed by Microsoft's new Mandatory Updates policy. Even though DS was rendering in iRay, M$ decided to reboot the machine to install important updates - probably a new start screen picture or something. This was my own fault for not changing the default (the one that effectively allows M$ to reboot your machine whenever they feel like it) but it was still extremely irritating.

Actually, forced reboots is nothing new with Windows and it's not the first time that I have had the Microsoft corporation ruining a piece of work because they thought it was important to make changes to my machine regardless of what it was doing.

Remember to go to Settings -> Windows Update -> Advanced Settings and set the option to install updates to "Notify to Schedule Reboot", otherwise you too will find a multi-billion dollar corporation rebooting your machine in the middle of whatever work you're doing just because they know what's best for you smiley

Post edited by acanthis on
  • Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited August 2015

Hello.  For those of you having trouble with the new "Start Menu" (doesn't find ALL of your stuff) or the Windows 10 search box only working on the web (just "try" to find Internet Explorer 11 on your hard drive), here's what I did:

1.  Fire Cortana.  She's just about as useless as Siri.  Disabled.  I hear both girls are now in a soup line downtown.

2.  Search box sucks.  It uses Bing, which sucks.  But it sucks worse than Bing because it returns only "web" results (waitaminute, so does Bing!), and does not include my programs in the results.  Poke around in settings and hide that stupid search box.

3.  New Start Menu also sucks.  Not a very valiant try, Microsoft.  The Start Menu "All Apps" does not show everything installed on my system.  I Googled (no "Binging" for me) and I found a new version of Classic Shell for Win 10.  I installed it (the Win10 upgrade had overlaid the old version of Classic Shell).  Now I have a functional Start Menu again, and searches will show EVERYTHING on my system!

4.  Note to all:  Edge browser does not support Silverlight.  If you still need to use websites that haven't yet moved to HTML 5, you'll need to use Internet Explorer 11 (for now) or Chrome with the older Silverlight plugin.  Internet Explorer 11 DOES indeed exist on your Windows 10 computer; it's just well-hidden if you're still using the "new" Start Menu.  This was the whole reason for items 1 thru 3 above.  no

Overall, I am happy now with Windows 10.  It's unfortunate that the factory Start Menu doesn't work like it should, and Cortana is a disappointment too, but so far, the upgrade is fine.  I plan to upgrade my main tower workstation sometime later this month.  Just in case some unexpected drama comes up; I'd rather have those struggles on my laptop, especially now since I'm not planning on any travel in the immediate future.

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,853
    acanthis said:

Last night I had a four hour render trashed by Microsoft's new Mandatory Updates policy. Even though DS was rendering in iRay, M$ decided to reboot the machine to install important updates - probably a new start screen picture or something. This was my own fault for not changing the default (the one that effectively allows M$ to reboot your machine whenever they feel like it) but it was still extremely irritating.

Yup, this almost happened to me too. I noticed that it was asking me, only after a few hours of me updating, just in time for me to change the default time/date. I know why Microsoft is doing this, all this is for those who don't know how to operate a computer (the majority) and we all have to suffer for it. There are just too many Windows Zombie computers out there and Microsoft just wants to make sure to squash them all.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,800

Okay... Good news: I recovered my WIN7. Now I did some research and I must ask... What's this about an incompatibility with Nvidia GeForce? O_o

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-cant-be-installed-due-to-incompatible/0764c351-38c5-4c4d-bdbe-9b25bd600e79?auth=1

Rogerbee said:

Malwarebytes isn't subscription based. I have their AntiMalware and I've only ever paid once for what they now call a 'lifetime license'. I get updates whenever a new version comes out, but I've never paid for them.

It is since early 2014, before that I only had one paid license, then I was in need of another two licenses but was surprised with the new paid subscription model. This model might be questionable, but I think that if the software is good this model garantees the company's survival, they can keep the talent base(thi$ i$ expen$ive) and can keep innovating, updating, correcting and improving the software. Who benefits more? I think both, company and customer.

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604

Okay... Good news: I recovered my WIN7. Now I did some research and I must ask... What's this about an incompatibility with Nvidia GeForce? O_o

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-cant-be-installed-due-to-incompatible/0764c351-38c5-4c4d-bdbe-9b25bd600e79?auth=1

I have installed the upgrade on two machines with NVidia graphics and experienced no problems. I believe M$ had rolled out some garbage driver with the last preview build that fought a Tug of War with NVidia's GeForce Experience Bloatware, but that appears to have been fixed now. If 10 really can't be installed, the initial compatibility check will tell you so I would just go ahead.

Don't forget to check those privacy settings and don't just accept the defaults for anything!

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited August 2015
    jag11 said:
    Rogerbee said:

It is since early 2014, before that I only had one paid license, then I was in need of another two licenses but was surprised with the new paid subscription model. This model might be questionable, but I think that if the software is good this model garantees the company's survival, they can keep the talent base(thi$ i$ expen$ive) and can keep innovating, updating, correcting and improving the software. Who benefits more? I think both, company and customer.

Interesting,

I bought my copy on the 29 of Jan 2014 and haven't paid for it since. Looks like I got there in time. I also was able to install it on my laptop, this PC and my Dad's. Ah well, it works and that's the main thing.

CHEERS!

License.JPG
    600 x 400 - 139K
    Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,618
    Ivy said:

Ubuntu is a complete desktop Linux operating system http://www.linux.com/directory/Distributions/popular-distributions/ubuntu

you can get it here free as well  http://www.ubuntu.com/ ; the free desk top download link is here http://www.ubuntu.com/download

this is going to be the way people are going to avoid using MS windows and what I loaded on my new 1tb SSD

and yes they do have a cloud service as well for mobil devices

I've got Ubuntu dual booted on my computer and I really like it. But the problem is applications, and that's why my computer spends most of its time running Windows. Yes, you can get very good applications for Linux and some people have got Windows applications to work on Linux using Wine although I haven't tired this yet. If Daz made Linux versions of Daz Studio, Carrara and Bryce my computer would probably spend most of it's time running Ubuntu, but until then it spends most of it's time in Windows.

I tested everything, my both graphic cards everything working as expected beside in DS , adding second card for rendering in Photoreal mode incrase the speed just 10 second faster no matter a cube or 1 or 5 genesis, the difference in speed between selected 1 or 2 cards is 10 sec exactly .

The Interactive mode engaged the GPU straight away to 100% the iray viewport spin as fast as OpenGL without one noise as before no issues , the Photoreal mode engaged the GPU to 100% after 10-15 second in Iray viewport or rendering . That is not what was before , before it clean the noise after 2 second and GPU was on 100% straight away .. there is huge drag response and the rendering time speed is 80% less than before when using second GPU and even slower when adding CPU on top .

When rendering small scene like simple cube the rendering time with 1 or 2 cards make no difference as the second card engage 2 second after the first card finish already render .. and trully this sucks

The fact that the interactive mode working exactly as before with the same speed is even more mystery , means Iray in Photoreal mode have problems with the new Nvidia driver and second card under win10