Windows 10 - It's heeerrre! and it's free for some

Comments

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    MEC4D said:

Well I am getting some advertising already from M$ so it starting to be anoying .. not enough the banners follow me around the web now also on my OS, and my copy was not free upgrade .

also forgot to reactivate Zbrush, now waiting second day for new activation .. grrrrangry

P.S Oh well the add button was ON again under settings .. how hmm?

If the ads are also showing on the OS, that might be a sign of "uninvited" guests.

I use this software http://www.kaspersky.com/antivirus-removal-tool?form=1 to remove these guests.

I use Internet Explorer 11 most of the time, and I install Tracking Protection Lists, not that I care being tracked, but, these lists as a side effect actually block ads, I hate ads.

If interested go visit http://www.iegallery.com/en-us/trackingprotectionlists.

I like Edge but I won't be using it until it supports add-ons.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460

Doesn't sound good if adware is creeping in already. What integrated AV does 10 have!?

CHEERS!

Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender, it used to be called Microsoft Security Essentials. Works pretty good to be free, as good as Kaspersky, better than Norton or McAfee.

There are many ways adware gets in your system. Frequent cause is by browsing the Internet, you want your horoscope badly, one wrong click and that's it. Others are spam e-mail, or infected friend's e-mail, or an infected USB. Sometimes you hear Sculptris is excelent and free, but inadvertidly you download it from the worst site, softonic.com, or other evil file sharing webs.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652

Agreed regarding ceratin "protection" software. I had to remove the Mc Afee suite cause it interfered with DS by content taking a long time to load and at times just hangning on connecting to CMS when opening DS.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    MEC4D said:

Well I am getting some advertising already from M$ so it starting to be anoying .. not enough the banners follow me around the web now also on my OS, and my copy was not free upgrade .

also forgot to reactivate Zbrush, now waiting second day for new activation .. grrrrangry

No ads yet!  You mean within the system or using Edge?  I use Cyberfox so no ads for me if it's the browser. 

I never deactivated anything.  DS works fine, ZBrush works very well, in fact it's now remembering the last folder I was in, which 8.l never did, took me to the default folder when I started it up and Photoshop works just fine too as well as iTunes.  All the aps I thought I'd have to deactivate work fine since the upgrade! 

jag11 said:

Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender, it used to be called Microsoft Security Essentials. Works pretty good to be free, as good as Kaspersky, better than Norton or McAfee.

There are many ways adware gets in your system. Frequent cause is by browsing the Internet, you want your horoscope badly, one wrong click and that's it. Others are spam e-mail, or infected friend's e-mail, or an infected USB. Sometimes you hear Sculptris is excelent and free, but inadvertidly you download it from the worst site, softonic.com, or other evil file sharing webs.

Yup, I agree. I don't bother with those other companies, the one that's actually built for MS products works fine for me.  I've even tested out the "stealthness" of the system by testing it from time to time on ShieldsUP website and I always pass with flying colors..

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

I had this situation in London they stripped me down to underwear just to find little silver heart on the side of the seam ..  since then I don't even wear bra when flying lol

jag11 said:
    3dbug said:
    icecrmn said:
    MEC4D said:

Jag11 won't be needing this, even if it works. He is OK with being tracked and spied on (and--as he said--will even pose in his underware) surprise

LOL. I already did, a few years ago, I was headin to cancun, so in the Houston airport the metal detector was buggin me, an officer left me just in underwear, but now, I don't see any difference posing in underwear or posing in swimwear.

yes M$ trying  sell me some software ..  yesterday in the news a lot of people show adds, hair products abd other BS showing bellow tge MENU not guesst M$ is doing it

but I am tired of it and going back to install win8.1 too much issues too much distractions , my second card was runing today ar 86C without any program running .. had to disable it , I can't work with this nonsese it bug me everyday with something total chaos I am done

jag11 said:
    MEC4D said:

If the ads are also showing on the OS, that might be a sign of "uninvited" guests.

I use this software http://www.kaspersky.com/antivirus-removal-tool?form=1 to remove these guests.

I use Internet Explorer 11 most of the time, and I install Tracking Protection Lists, not that I care being tracked, but, these lists as a side effect actually block ads, I hate ads.

No live tiles in the menu ..  

RAMWolff said:
    MEC4D said:

No ads yet!  You mean within the system or using Edge?  I use Cyberfox so no ads for me if it's the browser. 

I never deactivated anything.  DS works fine, ZBrush works very well, in fact it's now remembering the last folder I was in, which 8.l never did, took me to the default folder when I started it up and Photoshop works just fine too as well as iTunes.  All the aps I thought I'd have to deactivate work fine since the upgrade! 

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,970
    MEC4D said:

I had this situation in London they stripped me down to underwear just to find little silver heart on the side of the seam ..  since then I don't even wear bra when flying lol

jag11 said:
    3dbug said:
    icecrmn said:
    MEC4D said:

Jag11 won't be needing this, even if it works. He is OK with being tracked and spied on (and--as he said--will even pose in his underware) surprise

LOL. I already did, a few years ago, I was headin to cancun, so in the Houston airport the metal detector was buggin me, an officer left me just in underwear, but now, I don't see any difference posing in underwear or posing in swimwear.

Sounds like a plan ... er, I mean, how dreadful! winkdevil

Thanks MEC I was talking with my guy who was going to do the fresh install. He claims that one will have to pay M$ for 10 after 1 year. He will email me the link. I too am going to stay with 7 on the tower and 8.1 on the laptop for now.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,941
    nDelphi said:
    MEC4D said:

I posted about these two issues here not long ago. I got ads from Microsoft thru the OS and my Windows 10 takes about 5 times longer to boot than Windows 7 did. I went searching for the boot issue and it seems some are affected by that. Just my luck that I am one of them. I haven't been able to figure out why.

I do find that doing a check disk at boot time on the C drive takes less time than with Windows 7.

...too bad someone wouldn't provide an "Adblock" utility for this.  I wonder if the paid version (if you wait until next year) will have the same.  That really would be dirty to shell out 199$ for 10 Pro and then have pay an extra annual fee to not see ads.

edited August 2015
    MEC4D said:

yes M$ trying  sell me some software ..  yesterday in the news a lot of people show adds, hair products abd other BS showing bellow tge MENU not guesst M$ is doing it

but I am tired of it and going back to install win8.1 too much issues too much distractions , my second card was runing today ar 86C without any program running .. had to disable it , I can't work with this nonsese it bug me everyday with something total chaos I am done

jag11 said:
    MEC4D said:

Before you do that why don't you try the AVG TuneUp utilities trial, and see if you can re-gain control of your system. It has some useful settings.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

the only sketchy thing so far is win10 , I tried to like it but technically no satisfaction as it does not perform for me simple task the way  win8.1 did and that is enough for me to dislike , I never got blue screen ir crash in previews version , now it shut down when it want too unexpected , my cards used 36% power while idle before,  now they use 56% it may be due to direct12 I don't know but  nothing is the way I was used too and that is frustrating , I don't care about the UI , I only care about the perfomance

3dbug said:

@MEC4D

I've read that open source stuff is sketchy when it comes to this subject ...

I provided the link already Kyoto Kid  , and I use paid version of Win10 not free upgrade ..  

kyoto kid said:
    nDelphi said:
    MEC4D said:

I posted about these two issues here not long ago. I got ads from Microsoft thru the OS and my Windows 10 takes about 5 times longer to boot than Windows 7 did. I went searching for the boot issue and it seems some are affected by that. Just my luck that I am one of them. I haven't been able to figure out why.

I do find that doing a check disk at boot time on the C drive takes less time than with Windows 7.

...too bad someone wouldn't provide an "Adblock" utility for this.  I wonder if the paid version (if you wait until next year) will have the same.  That really would be dirty to shell out 199$ for 10 Pro and then have pay an extra annual fee to not see ads.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,452
    MEC4D said:

You know, they weren't really looking for the little silver heart. surprise

MEC4D said:

I provided the link already Kyoto Kid  , and I use paid version of Win10 not free upgrade ..  

kyoto kid said:
    nDelphi said:
    MEC4D said:

You are entitled to help directly from MS.  They are very nice and very helpful.  I'd really consider touching base with them first about all this.  I had some really bad stuff happen one year and gave them permission to access my computer and they fixed it.  I had them right on the phone the entire time as they were navigating.  They don't install anything without permission.  The techs are not the evil of MS, they are good folks that are doing what they are paid to do and do it well. 

You know what, apart from Windows itself, I'm trying to think of anything by MS that I actually use on a daily basis. I really can't think of much. I've been looking at Ubuntu MATE and if WINE ends up supporting DS4.8 I really might consider switching to it. Ubuntu uses Firefox, so I'm familiar with the browser, it uses Thunderbird for emails, which I already do and Libre Office, which I've just switched to. What do I need Windows for!? Really, what!?

Linux/Ubuntu is done by programmers and not businessmen

CHEERS!

edited August 2015
    jag11 said:
    MEC4D said:

Before you do that why don't you try the AVG TuneUp utilities trial, and see if you can re-gain control of your system. It has some useful settings.

I don't touch anything by AVG, it's bloated and hogs memory. AVG Antivirus slowed my Dad's old PC to a crawl, nobody said you needed at least 2gb of RAM to run it, he only had 512mb!

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    Rogerbee said:
    jag11 said:
    MEC4D said:

I don't touch anything by AVG, it's bloated and hogs memory. AVG Antivirus slowed my Dad's old PC to a crawl, nobody said you needed at least 2gb of RAM to run it, he only had 512mb!

CHEERS!

How old is it ( 10 years ) - 512mb

I use AVG all the time - to each there own .

It was, about that old, yes. The main problem with AVG is the link scanner, it is so memory hungry. I currently use MS Security essentials and Malwarebytes Antimalware. They work fine and aren't so resource hungry. I'd check and see what resources AVG is using, I think you'll be surprised.

CHEERS!

AVG prevented my PC from using system restore in the past so I also ditched it

Bobvan said:

I have never seen that

Been using it for many years .

Used to help people with their puter and the first thing I did was check to see

if they had it - if not I installed it for them .

They all ways told me how well their puter worked from then on .

edited August 2015

Good call! It's looking very much like 7 will be the last version of Windows I will ever have on this PC. The more I research Ubuntu, the more I like it. I think you will too as you can run Lux with it. As soon as I know that DS4.8 will work well with WINE then I really think it's goodbye time for MS.

They reckon you don't need AV or defrag with Linux, so that's more software I won't need

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    bigh said:

I have never seen that

Been using it for many years .

Used to help people with their puter and the first thing I did was check to see

if they had it - if not I installed it for them .

They all ways told me how well their puter worked from then on .

I was more surprised how much better mine were after I'd uninstalled it.

CHEERS!

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,452

Anti-virus & security software is a religious issue.  I used to try to convert people to <insert favorite AV name here>, but now I just shake my head and pity the fool that uses <insert least favorite AV name here>

Anti-virus & security software is a religious issue.  I used to try to convert people to <insert favorite AV name here>, but now I just shake my head and pity the fool that uses <insert least favorite AV name here>

yes

skull

The only time I ever needed something really sturdy AV wise was when my Dad was running 2 hard drives. He never checked the 2nd drive, it was riddled with every nasty you could think of. I think I wiped the lot and did a fresh install of Windows it was that far gone!

I'm a bit more cautious where I surf and haven't been hit badly for a long while

CHEERS!

Same aplies to <insert favorite OS name here>, <insert favorite Web Browser name here>,  <insert favorite Postwork Software name here>, <insert favorite mail website name here>.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,126

I've been dragging my XP laptop to various wi-fi hotspots for downloads for over 6 years now. No AV - just the windows firewall, Adblock Plus, and Privoxy. I run Malware Bytes on it about every other month (just the scan - not interested in the new AV features). The worst thing ever found on a scan? Three suspicious cookies.

I don't read html format email, I don't click links in email from unknown senders, and I don't allow any ads to be shipped to me.