Windows 10 - It's heeerrre! and it's free for some

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    MEC4D said:

Richard, you need to edit registry for that  and that is not easy task to change power function for CPU and stuff , I would not recomend that you can screw your system, GPU or processor , search google for Hidden Power Setting in Wndows  or Change Hidden Power Setting in Windows 10

The issue is that win10 add more power for the cores leaving begind the GPU for that reason the delay in GPU calculation , I did not even go there as it was not worthy my time and I don't want to take risk if I screw something seriously , playing with power adjustments is very risky , if you don't know what to do and how much , you can burn your CPU or GPU . The guys submitted ticket about that and other issues, it will be for sure updated soon as it is urgent so just wait .

RAMWolff said:
    MEC4D said:

I found another issues with Windows10 hidden power settings, it slow down GPU perfomance on all cards , as it need more time to warm up lol so this mean it may be not total Nvidia issues only with the memory, some folk fixed by editing only via registry but not going there ..enough is enough

I don't care about win10 I care about working system the way I have before or better never less but in my case a total waste so 100% agree

nDelphi said:
    MEC4D said:
    but anyway today rolling  back to win 8 so not my problem anymore ;)

All that wasted time and money and frustration. Microsoft should be compensating people like you. A billion dollar company that can't get an upgrade right.

nVidia is a pretty popular hardware company, the one on top, how does Microsoft not make sure the multi-card option not work right? Incredulous.

How do I get to the Hidden Power settings and once there what do I look for?  I was rendering in 3Delight last night and with your info in mind noticed that it was rendering very slow.... wasn't like that before so yea, there is something up with something slowing things down.  Noticed the GPU meter was higher too.   Not enough to make me roll back, not at this point but enough to wonder if there is something I can do on my end NOW to improve things.  XO

Thanks hon.  Those search lines were not bringing up much but did find this: which informed me my processor was set way way down at the minimum like it was set up for a laptop.  So I learned something from this guy.....

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited August 2015

I had a BIG problem this morning (win 8.1). Everytime I wanted to update it stayed stuck on need PC to restart. I had the link trying to force win 10 to install like the screen shot I posted on page 9. Rolled system back to early July PRIOR to accepting win 10 reservation removed and hid all win 10 ask updates no more problems...

If M$ was looking to show ppl that win 8 was not that bad they are doing a bang up job!

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,853
    MEC4D said:

Also tested GPU Viewport Delay response thershold in Iray viewport , win8 - 560 ms , win10- 1600 ms , that tell alot right? I was not imagine things

What tools are you using? I haven't seen power consumption going up at all at my end. I don't doubt what you say, I am sure for your case it is true. I just haven't seen that at my end. I would like to try with the tools you are using.

Cath... check this out...

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

I use Precision X 16 for monitoring and also for check up GPU-Z , right now my power run on 6% for my main card before 56% 

nDelphi said:
    MEC4D said:

Also tested GPU Viewport Delay response thershold in Iray viewport , win8 - 560 ms , win10- 1600 ms , that tell alot right? I was not imagine things

What tools are you using? I haven't seen power consumption going up at all at my end. I don't doubt what you say, I am sure for your case it is true. I just haven't seen that at my end. I would like to try with the tools you are using.

Both link was good Richard .. but the stuff I mentioned was manual editing , however this simple seting can improve the perfomance already , I am setup completelly new system is runing and I am ready to rock ! lol 

RAMWolff said:

Cath... check this out...

So back on 8.1 then already?

MEC4D said:

I use Precision X 16 for monitoring and also for check up GPU-Z , right now my power run on 6% for my main card before 56% 

OK, I use the CPU-Z and GPU-Z to see what levels voltages are running at.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    MEC4D said:

nDelphi said:
    MEC4D said:

That is what I use too is EVGA Precision X16, it allows me to monitor my 3 graphic cards change how SIL is working by % I can set my power boost from the slider on the right side and  manually increase my fan controls on the left  I love how the UI of the GPU and power clock are front and center  easy monitoring toosl etc. makes it one one the best Graphiic card controls i have used 

BTW  really appreciate all you guys beanch testing how bad windows10 is on a performance machine. My poor laptop was running like a old windows xp  with 64 megs of ram and even though it has 8 gig s of ram ..HA HA. I was not going to even attempt loading it on my performence desk top ,  so it was good to hear about the performence issues with high end machines. because that just confrimes the same issues i had with my laptop. which I reinstalled win 8 back on. 

Stay away far away. :)

Yeah fresh install , it was quick . and happy about  

RAMWolff said:

So back on 8.1 then already?

I did not even installed the win10 Nvidia graphic driver rolling back to April as I am not sure if it is working right , so far so good and it stay this way as long it can ..  I have max performance and that is what count no carousel menus and other banjoes , I will enjoy win10 on my phone soon .. lol 

Ivy said:
    MEC4D said:

nDelphi said:
    MEC4D said:

That is what I use too is EVGA Precision X16, it allows me to monitor my 3 graphic cards change how SIL is working by % I can set my power boost from the slider on the right side and  manually increase my fan controls on the left  I love how the UI of the GPU and power clock are front and center  easy monitoring toosl etc. makes it one one the best Graphiic card controls i have used 

BTW  really appreciate all you guys beanch testing how bad windows10 is on a performance machine. My poor laptop was running like a old windows xp  with 64 megs of ram and even though it has 8 gig s of ram ..HA HA. I was not going to even attempt loading it on my performence desk top ,  so it was good to hear about the performence issues with high end machines. because that just confrimes the same issues i had with my laptop. which I reinstalled win 8 back on. 

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    MEC4D said:

I did not even installed the win10 Nvidia graphic driver rolling back to April as I am not sure if it is working right , so far so good and it stay this way as long it can ..  I have max performance and that is what count no carousel menus and other banjoes , I will enjoy win10 on my phone soon .. lol 

Ivy said:
    MEC4D said:

nDelphi said:
    MEC4D said:

I upgrading my phone soon too :)   Though I'm going from android to a Iphone6  I got a deal of a life time on it. and my verizon contract runs out at the end of Aug so we willl change things over then.  until then fun and games..lol

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,941

...so it looks like MS gave us two turkeys in a row. this time around.  Felt there was something fishy about them skipping "9" and going onto 10.

XP - good

Vista - bad

Win 7 - Good

WIn 8/8.1 - ugly

Win 9 - ???, will never know.

Win 10 - train wreck.

Again though, you have to keep in mind.. XP was a train wreak when it first came out of the gate.  After first big update then everyone was in love with that OS.  7 was fabulous pretty much right from the start.  8 was a wreak but after the 8.1 update it was actually a good OS esp fixed up with the Stardock scripts to get back my Start menu.  The train wreaks from my time using computers was WIn 98SE, Win Vista.  10 so far for me, with the exception of the slow down in render times, is fine.  Not everyone is having a negative time with this OS so far. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,941

...being that I have an Nvida GPU, and so far MS's track record with driver auto graphics updates (forced on you whether you want/need them or not) has pretty much soured me on the whole deal. I don't have the resources to get the Enterprise edition, don't even think I would qualify as I am not a registered business.

I think I know what my system's needs are better than someone in Redmond who doesn't know me from Adam thinks I do.

Like I mentioned, I may just have to eventually bite the bullet and find some way to pony up in to migrate to the Mac OS when Win 7 reaches it's EOL as it seems Daz - Linux is a dead end..

I used to tinker in Linux but that's all I did.  I got tired of constantly writing code to get something to work right so back to Windows I went, gladly!  MS might be a money hungry machine but who in this industry isn't?  Adobe sure is too!  So are allot of the other big names in the industry and saying that MAC isn't? PULEASE MARY..... their OS's are free but the hardware is astronomical! 

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    RAMWolff said:

Again though, you have to keep in mind.. XP was a train wreak when it first came out of the gate.  After first big update then everyone was in love with that OS.  7 was fabulous pretty much right from the start.  8 was a wreak but after the 8.1 update it was actually a good OS esp fixed up with the Stardock scripts to get back my Start menu.  The train wreaks from my time using computers was WIn 98SE, Win Vista.  10 so far for me, with the exception of the slow down in render times, is fine.  Not everyone is having a negative time with this OS so far. 

You forgot to mention the one that started it all, Windows 95.

Good point, not everyone is having a negative time, I see change resistance, followed by negative feedback from people that don't use the OS at all. Micro$oft said the OS is free, never said it was fault free or flawless, nor mandatory. Actually in real world nothing is flawless, be it a new house, new car, new space shuttle, new iPhone, new video game. Man made = Not perfect.

I must tell you I'm having a great experience so far.

I remember when DAZ gave us Iray, I'm seeing the same pattern, upgrade was free, change resistance and DAZ is not forcing the render engine.

jag11 said:
    I remember when DAZ gave us Iray, I'm seeing the same pattern, upgrade was free, change resistance and DAZ is not forcing the render engine.

It's not the same thing. Windows 10 has been very problematic for many users. What I see is the opposite, people installing Windows 10 and then being met with frustration. Also, privacy is a big issue and forced updates are another. They are real issues that Microsoft needs to correct.

nDelphi said:
    jag11 said:

It's not the same thing. Windows 10 has been very problematic for many users. What I see is the opposite, people installing Windows 10 and then being met with frustration. Also, privacy is a big issue and forced updates are another. They are real issues that Microsoft needs to correct.

If privacy is a big issue why don't bring M$ to its knees by enforcing the Privacy Laws I think they were aproved for a reason.

As for the forced update you can always disable it. There are many ways and many tools. You can even block all microsoft domains at router level if you have a modem. Or maybe ask M$ to do it.

As for the issues there are many people including me willing to share knowledge or help.

It's just the way it is.... change is hard, it's harder when issues pop up.  I'm not saying it's perfect either, nope, of course it's not.  But it's certainly not brought my work flow to a stop.  I just finished work in ZBrush and DAZ Studio on a project I'm developing for Hivewire and it's just as good as when I was on 8.1.  So for *ME* it's all good.  I see allot of positives on line too as well as negatives... As Jag mentioned there are tools to correct or even turn off allot of these concerns.  Give folks time, hackers will come up with tools to fix, turn off and improve performance, the OS has only been out publically for what a month now?  If that.  Every time there is an update to DAZ Studio or even this forum software... we all had issues, left and right but folks are still using the forums and DAZ Studio... because improvements and fixes are coming down the pipe line ......... it's just the nature of the beast.  As Jag stated... man made, not perfect...

jag11 said:
    If privacy is a big issue why don't bring M$ to its knees by enforcing the Privacy Laws I think they were aproved for a reason.

As for the forced update you can always disable it. There are many ways and many tools. You can even block all microsoft domains at router level if you have a modem. Or maybe ask M$ to do it.

As for the issues there are many people including me willing to share knowledge or help.

How many people can do what you are even hinting at here? I am sure I can help a lot of people myself, again that doesn't change the fact that Microsoft needs to change their strategy here. I am hoping that in time a lot more people will scream at all this, and maybe, action will be taken against Microsoft. I think the E.U. might be among the first to do so.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

Please bear in mind rule 8 of the TOS, accusations of illegal acts are not permitted on the DAZ 3D forums.

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    jag11 said:
    nDelphi said:
    jag11 said:

It's good to hear that you are delighted with Windows 10 and that you are happy to do Microsoft's job for them by helping others by sharing your knowledge, but your post slightly misses the point.

The point is that these things are ON by default and that the user is only given the slightest hint of potential privacy issues when installing the product, with the misleadingly named "Use Express Settings". These "Express" settings give Microsoft permission to effectively run a keylogger on your system, gathering everything you type and forwarding it to servers controlled by Microsoft. These express settings give your permission to indiscriminately share your WiFi network keys with your social contacts in a way that is asking for an exploit to be developed. These express settings give Microsoft permission to install whatever they want on your machine, whenever they want, and to reboot it at a time of their choosing, regardless of whether there are active processes at the time. These express settings allow Microsoft to serve up targetted ads and to store advertising-related data on your machine. etc. etc.

That's not to mention at least two seriously flawed automatic updates that have already been forced upon "happy" Windows 10 users (do a Google search).

So, yes, there are going to be a lot of happy people out there, but it's the ones that are suffering and having their productivity degraded that are naturally complaining.

All that said, I have done four installs so far and have had no real issues apart from the fact Outlook mail sending gets broken by the upgrade routine. I have actually had to spend more time turning off all the privacy breaches than I did on installing the upgrades themselves.

Do I like Windows 10? No. I think it's a massive waste of time and energy. Am I happy with it? Well, I'm happy with it in the same way that I am happy when I pick up a pen and I find that I can write with it!

One final thought and then I am out of this thread: If you have a room full of people and one of them has flu, not everyone will get infected. That doesn't mean influenza isn't an infectious disease!

Well I am signing off , no more issues on my side , life become simple again :) lol

• This is starting to turn into an OS war (perhaps an OS civil war). There are obviously a lot of things to discuss, but please try to keep the tone civil.

This is starting to turn into an OS war (perhaps an OS civil war). There are obviously a lot of things to discuss, but please try to keep the tone civil.

I don't see anyone here being uncivilized.

+1 .. what war?  we are nice to eachother don't we ? no matter the OS lol   btw I tested the last Nvidia driver , and it run smooth, I guess the major issue with multiple GPU and memory was only win10 related 

nDelphi said:

This is starting to turn into an OS war (perhaps an OS civil war). There are obviously a lot of things to discuss, but please try to keep the tone civil.

I don't see anyone here being uncivilized.

If this were a war, i'd be an OS rumors(Conspiracy theories) vs OS facts war. LOL!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    jag11 said:

If this were a war, i'd be an OS rumors(Conspiracy theories) vs OS facts war. LOL!

yes just the facts - no bull ..

yes

Maybe the MEC4D's delay problem was caused by Windows 10's Xbox application, here's a link with steps to Remove default Apps from Windows 10, including Groove Music blamed for hiding music.