Windows 10 - It's heeerrre! and it's free for some

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460

Nephew found that on his machine that he upgraded from Win7 and tried to roll back that all the restore points had been either deleted or were never created as the folders for them were either missing or empty

That was why I got 7 on DVD.

CHEERS!

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2015

I mentioned Macrium Reflect free as a simple way to mirror your partitions prior to upgrading to WIndows 10. That's all you would have needed to restore your prior Windows partitions and it is so easy.

Aside from the occassional ad and the forced this and that I will keep Windows 10, but I have my Windows 7 partitions backed-up, just in case.

Post edited by nDelphi on
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

I rolled back Nvidia driver to one from April, the cards get back on the normal temp while idle 29-30 C from 56C on last driver ..

both cards working ok when used separate, sadly not working together in DS actually using both card slower the rendering , going to install my win.8.1 pro back tomorrow and keep it is this way as long I can . 

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

"There is no such file in 4.8 64bit"

Well, yes and no, Roger. Kernel32.dll isn't part of DAZ Studio at all, it is part of the Windows operating system. The nomenclature is a bit misleading since it would seem to suggest a 32-bit library, but in a 64-bit Windows installation it actual includes 64-bit binaries. The naming convention is preserved due to the need for unified naming and support allowing 64-bit systems to run 32-bit code\applications, apparently. So the error may be a valid one, although the reason for it could be any one of a number of things and could be specific to the system on which it was encountered. BTW, Mjc runs DS using WINE and the only problems he has mentioned having are associated with using PostgreSQL as a database. You could check with him for more info.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

I have a seperate disk I've been using to see how I get on with w10; I also use disk images so I can easily recover anything I mess up.

edited August 2015
    SixDs said:

"There is no such file in 4.8 64bit"

Well, yes and no, Roger. Kernel32.dll isn't part of DAZ Studio at all, it is part of the Windows operating system. The nomenclature is a bit misleading since it would seem to suggest a 32-bit library, but in a 64-bit Windows installation it actual includes 64-bit binaries. The naming convention is preserved due to the need for unified naming and support allowing 64-bit systems to run 32-bit code\applications, apparently. So the error may be a valid one, although the reason for it could be any one of a number of things and could be specific to the system on which it was encountered. BTW, Mjc runs DS using WINE and the only problems he has mentioned having are associated with using PostgreSQL as a database. You could check with him for more info.

Thanks,

I messaged him, but, I'm sure he said, in the last post I read, that he was having issues getting the 64bit version to work. I'll see what he says anyway. It's always a little frustrating when you have to put plans on hold when you're waiting for just one piece of info. As I don't really use the CMS maybe I won't have any issues.....

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Yeh, shame it doesn't work; I've had daz working on linux through VM ware, but couldn't get IRAY to work. Although I'll be trying again. The hastle is getting access to the content with VM ware. Wish Daz would produce a Linux version; I mean let's face, the Mac UNIX  certified so it can't be impossible.

Rogerbee said:
    MEC4D said:

+1 it looks like Thunderbird stopped breaking down the links in win10 for me at last something good lol

Rogerbee said:

Ouch, I'm glad I use Thunderbird, she should too!

CHEERS!

Thunderbird is default in Linux, so that's a bonus, I'm hoping that, now there's a 64bit Firefox for Linux, they'll roll out a 64bit Thunderbird. It's so frustrating, I'm raring to go with Linux, but, I NEED DS4.8 to work in WINE before I fully commit.

CHEERS!

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164

Its appears that MS windows is not the only one thats got for some big changes.

I got this anoucment in my partnership news letter this morning.

A Company Called Alphabet Now Owns Google https://news.vice.com/article/a-company-called-alphabet-now-owns-google?utm_source=vicenewsemail

Google has already pretty much ruined the youtube format. so I wonder whats in store with with our partnerships programs now that ABC.Inc has taken them over , do you think they will start censoring the search engine next

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,395
    edited August 2015

The headline of this article is misleading though because they weren't bought by another company.  They're just restructuring divisions of Google into separate companies for tax purposes or other obscure accounting reasons.

Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,395
    edited August 2015

The headline of this article is misleading though because they weren't bought by another company.  They're just restructuring divisions of Google into separate companies for tax purposes or other obscure accounting reasons.

Don't know what happened in previous post everything just disappeared

Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited August 2015

I know It is an is an Umbrella corporation , I read they broke Google up into its different components, to help them avoid some of the restrictive regulations, that were restricting some of the innovation area's of Google devices, and app store markets, I guess because they were lumped all under one ruling or something like that,   It be interesting to see what comes out of it though  I hope they fix the YouTube Platform.  I always hated Google intergrated Youtube with Google+  it reminds me to much of a old social platform called "MySpace."  which I have not seen or heard of in years ,,. it be weird instead of saying "Google It" to find something, you'll be saying Alphabet it..Ha ha

Post edited by Ivy on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157

It's there Robert, if you just highlight it the text was black on black highlighter...

So it's not Google owned by ABC, but are they really changing it from Google to Alphabet?  That's uh.... stupid!  Sorry, it's just stupid! 

• MEC4D said:

I rolled back Nvidia driver to one from April, the cards get back on the normal temp while idle 29-30 C from 56C on last driver ..

both cards working ok when used separate, sadly not working together in DS actually using both card slower the rendering , going to install my win.8.1 pro back tomorrow and keep it is this way as long I can . 

Are you saying windows 10 doesn't use both cards ? How do you tell that it's only using one card there has been an update for windows 10 Nvida drivers version 353.62.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652

I talked with my guy at work and we agreed that I could try upgrading and if stuff does not run right or I don't like it & can't roll back to 8.1 he will fresh install it for me rather that have him do both...

nicstt said:

Yeh, shame it doesn't work; I've had daz working on linux through VM ware, but couldn't get IRAY to work. Although I'll be trying again. The hastle is getting access to the content with VM ware. Wish Daz would produce a Linux version; I mean let's face, the Mac UNIX  certified so it can't be impossible.

Rogerbee said:
    MEC4D said:

+1 it looks like Thunderbird stopped breaking down the links in win10 for me at last something good lol

Rogerbee said:

Ouch, I'm glad I use Thunderbird, she should too!

CHEERS!

Thunderbird is default in Linux, so that's a bonus, I'm hoping that, now there's a 64bit Firefox for Linux, they'll roll out a 64bit Thunderbird. It's so frustrating, I'm raring to go with Linux, but, I NEED DS4.8 to work in WINE before I fully commit.

CHEERS!

Well, Iray is no biggie for me and I've no real plans to use it. MJC has messaged me, so I'll see what he has to say. I'll have a look at VM Ware.

CHEERS!

MJC wasn't specific about what wouldn't work in 64bit DS. He says 32bit works well, but, you can't use HD in 32bit. VMWare is very expensive just to use one piece of software through it. I'll just have to hope that a version of WINE comes out that 64bit DS actually likes....

CHEERS!

For anyone that does have Windows 10 or is considering it, this may be useful:

http://www.maximumpc.com/windows-10-tips-and-tricks/

CHEERS!

Nvidia working on memory issues already so the problem is adressed alsi for users of SLI there are problems .  Windows use both card the second card is just dellayed in response  so rendering with one or 2 cards does not make in speed difference

it is like Windows think it is just one card and not 2 and there are not yet drivers to  fix this issues , actually the old driver from April do better job.. I researched everything

1. I can see delay in my iray viewport, you saw my Iray realtime rendering video on youtube, now it berly moving compared to the speed before

2. I can see the rendering time using one or 2 cards

3. I monitoring my cards in real time and see when they get engage , before the card engage the moment you start viewport now after 13 second, if you have one card only you don't see any difference, it is mostly for the 2 the same cards user with the last architecture

I knew something is wrong the moment I start DS in win10

but anyway today rolling  back to win 8 so not my problem anymore ;)

MEC4D said:

Are you saying windows 10 doesn't use both cards ? How do you tell that it's only using one card there has been an update for windows 10 Nvida drivers version 353.62.

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited August 2015

Sorry to hear about all the Nvidia problems you've been having. I don't have a two card setup so that might account for the relatively problem free graphics situtaion with my upgrades.

Anyway, I understand that there is a new advertisement coming out for Windows 10 (heavily satirical content follows) ...

It opens with Bill sitting in a bathtub wearing a clown outfit on one side of his body, an evil wizard's robes on the other. He is grinning and juggling wads of money made from every major currency. Behind him a group of tramps are gleefully burning boxes of Windows 7 and 8 on an open fire.

VOICEOVER:

Want to be less productive?

Want to spend hours tracking down fixes for unwanted updates?

Want your personal data sent to Microsoft so that they can make money out of it?

Don't need to use all the features of your graphics card?

Want to be pestered by popup suggestions and feedback requests?

Then Windows 10 is for YOU!

10. It's the best Windows yet ... for Microsoft.

Post edited by acanthis on
  • nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2015
    MEC4D said:

All that wasted time and money and frustration. Microsoft should be compensating people like you. A billion dollar company that can't get an upgrade right.

nVidia is a pretty popular hardware company, the one on top, how does Microsoft not make sure the multi-card option operates correctly? Incredulous.

Post edited by nDelphi on

Just so I, and others, don't derail this thread anymore by banging on about Linux, I've started a thread about it here:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/880993#Comment_880993

Normal service can now resume

CHEERS!

I found another issues with Windows10 hidden power settings, it slow down GPU perfomance on all cards , as it need more time to warm up lol so this mean it may be not total Nvidia issues only with the memory, some folk fixed by editing only via registry but not going there ..enough is enough

I don't care about win10 I care about working system the way I have before or better never less but in my case a total waste so 100% agree

nDelphi said:
    MEC4D said:

All that wasted time and money and frustration. Microsoft should be compensating people like you. A billion dollar company that can't get an upgrade right.

nVidia is a pretty popular hardware company, the one on top, how does Microsoft not make sure the multi-card option not work right? Incredulous.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

I woke up this morning to a black screen and an unresponsive computer.I pushed the power button to force a restart and after 3 tries I finally got a login screen.So I just finished reinstalling 8.1 pro.I'll stick with 8.1 for now,It does all I need Windows for.

@MEC4D

I was also seeing the slow screen/viewport redraws myself in windows 10.I had increased CPU/GPU temps as well, so it not just you, and I'm using AMD graphics card.I have an R9 270x.

@icecrmn that is for sure not just me, most people don't know they have problem, but when you search the graphic forums you can read a lot about  and mostly now it is memory and power related issues

going to reinstall  my win 8.1 Pro in a moment , it was waste of 2 weeks should do that early

icecrmn said:

I woke up this morning to a black screen and an unresponsive computer.I pushed the power button to force a restart and after 3 tries I finally got a login screen.So I just finished reinstalling 8.1 pro.I'll stick with 8.1 for now,It does all I need Windows for.

@MEC4D

I was also seeing the slow screen/viewport redraws myself in windows 10.I had increased CPU/GPU temps as well, so it not just you, and I'm using AMD graphics card.I have an R9 270x.

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885

I'd submit two support tickets, one for Microsoft and one for nVIDIA, if you do nothing, they'll assume everything is fine. At least do it for your twin babies.smiley

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

this thread has been very useful for me to consider if I truly want to shoot myself in the foot or continue using my computer for something other than a door stop for a very big door. All that aside if anyone wants to know how to remove this rather annoying update prompt every time they wish to boot, shutdown or otherwise continue to use W7 or W8.x I found this

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-stop-windows-10-upgrade-downloading-your-system

if you opt out now you have until July 29, 2016 to change your mind and still get Windows OS X for free.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    MEC4D said:

I found another issues with Windows10 hidden power settings, it slow down GPU perfomance on all cards , as it need more time to warm up lol so this mean it may be not total Nvidia issues only with the memory, some folk fixed by editing only via registry but not going there ..enough is enough

I don't care about win10 I care about working system the way I have before or better never less but in my case a total waste so 100% agree

nDelphi said:
    MEC4D said:

nVidia is a pretty popular hardware company, the one on top, how does Microsoft not make sure the multi-card option not work right? Incredulous.

How do I get to the Hidden Power settings and once there what do I look for?  I was rendering in 3Delight last night and with your info in mind noticed that it was rendering very slow.... wasn't like that before so yea, there is something up with something slowing things down.  Noticed the GPU meter was higher too.   Not enough to make me roll back, not at this point but enough to wonder if there is something I can do on my end NOW to improve things.  XO

edited August 2015

HA HA  welcome from the past ! quess what ? everything working TURBO

this mean ? win10 sucks

simple cube render in iray 2 sec , in win10 -13 second , Genesis figure : 7 sec win8, 35 sec win10, screen moving like on butter again in Iray viewport, not over heatting of the GPU 29C idle full load 52C, CPU 22C  .. so happy it all is back where it should , funny thing was that Instalation tried to upgrade me to win10 ..but I sellect NO ..I hope this stupid windows icon asking me for upgrade don't show up so far briliant

I installed back fresh win8.1 Pro , everything working faster, better as ever before and if I want fancy front menu as win10 there is custom UI for that so I really missing nothing !

Muaaaaaaaaah! kisskisskiss [Happy Dance "]

Post edited by MEC4D on

Richard, you need to edit registry for that  and that is not easy task to change power function for CPU and stuff , I would not recomend that you can screw your system, GPU or processor , search google for Hidden Power Setting in Wndows  or Change Hidden Power Setting in Windows 10

The issue is that win10 add more power for the cores leaving begind the GPU for that reason the delay in GPU calculation , I did not even go there as it was not worthy my time and I don't want to take risk if I screw something seriously , playing with power adjustments is very risky , if you don't know what to do and how much , you can burn your CPU or GPU . The guys submitted ticket about that and other issues, it will be for sure updated soon as it is urgent so just wait .

RAMWolff said:
    MEC4D said:

nDelphi said:
    MEC4D said:

How do I get to the Hidden Power settings and once there what do I look for?  I was rendering in 3Delight last night and with your info in mind noticed that it was rendering very slow.... wasn't like that before so yea, there is something up with something slowing things down.  Noticed the GPU meter was higher too.   Not enough to make me roll back, not at this point but enough to wonder if there is something I can do on my end NOW to improve things.  XO

Also tested GPU Viewport Delay response thershold in Iray viewport , win8 - 560 ms , win10- 1600 ms , that tell alot right? I was not imagine things