Windows 10 - It's heeerrre! and it's free for some

Comments

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,853
    namffuak said:
    I don't read html format email, I don't click links in email from unknown senders, and I don't allow any ads to be shipped to me.

I haven't had an issue with a virus or malware since about 2003 and I browser everywhere. I went so far as to turn off UAC from the moment I installed Windows 7. Before that I was using Windows XP SP3. And I check for them just as much as the next guy. I use free antivurs software and Malwarebytes. I turn off their live features, the last thing I need is an antivirus slowing down my computer. I run them manually.

One of the biggest changes in my computing habbit that I changed was not updating my software (i.e., browsers, etc) and Windows as soon as possible. I also stopped clicking on links in emails, even if that email is from a known sender, etc. I also recently started using ad blockers. I only did so because Youtube is annoying. If I want TV style ads I will get one.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652

I can pritty well try it risk free since one can roll back to win 8.1 if they upgrade or my saved image through system restore...

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,941

...well it seems there's another one of those auto updates that is fouling people up: KB 3081454 "Cumulative Update for Windows 10".  Apparently on some systems it is putting affected systems into an endless crash loop as it tries to instal, gets to a certain point, fails.  Since it is a forced update it makes repetitive attempts crashing each time. The tool that MS issued does not let one prevent this particular update to instal. One user mentioned that it required having to go in and edit the registry to remove "legacy" data (in his case, from an older Nvidia driver), which is not something for the faint of heart to (or lack of IT expertise) to perform. This makes the second bad update now in about two weeks. 

MS better get the message that this forced update policy is a very, very bad idea and change their tone.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    jag11 said:

Anti-virus & security software is a religious issue.  I used to try to convert people to <insert favorite AV name here>, but now I just shake my head and pity the fool that uses <insert least favorite AV name here>

Same aplies to <insert favorite OS name here>, <insert favorite Web Browser name here>,  <insert favorite Postwork Software name here>, <insert favorite mail website name here>.

<insert favorite Like indicator here> <insert favorite smiley here>

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited August 2015
    MEC4D said:

yes M$ trying  sell me some software ..  yesterday in the news a lot of people show adds, hair products abd other BS showing bellow tge MENU not guesst M$ is doing it

but I am tired of it and going back to install win8.1 too much issues too much distractions , my second card was runing today ar 86C without any program running .. had to disable it , I can't work with this nonsese it bug me everyday with something total chaos I am done

jag11 said:
    MEC4D said:

Well I am getting some advertising already from M$ so it starting to be anoying .. not enough the banners follow me around the web now also on my OS, and my copy was not free upgrade .

also forgot to reactivate Zbrush, now waiting second day for new activation .. grrrrangry

P.S Oh well the add button was ON again under settings .. how hmm?

If the ads are also showing on the OS, that might be a sign of "uninvited" guests.

I use this software http://www.kaspersky.com/antivirus-removal-tool?form=1 to remove these guests.

I use Internet Explorer 11 most of the time, and I install Tracking Protection Lists, not that I care being tracked, but, these lists as a side effect actually block ads, I hate ads.

If interested go visit http://www.iegallery.com/en-us/trackingprotectionlists.

I like Edge but I won't be using it until it supports add-ons.

It's just more  Microsoft window 10 drama evryone was complainign about earlier in this thread.  I took it off my lap top it was running like a old 64 ram xp with windows 10 on it.  and my graphic card fan controls did not work on it either, thje fan  just ran full blast the minute i turned it on. ...lol smiley    I am sure happy I did not upgrade my desk top now. even though i was not getting ads on win 10. it was killing my poor laptop with resources. &  I'm with you i hate distraction when theres a new issue to deal with every day ..

Post edited by Ivy on
    kyoto kid said:

MS better get the message that this forced update policy is a very, very bad idea and change their tone.

I totally agree

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460

Does Genesis 3 work with DS4.7!? If it does then, well, bye bye Windows. Windows 10 has been enough to put me off MS. As much as they'd like to tell me otherwise, I've realised that I don't actually need them to do what I want to anymore. Apart from Outlook that is, I'm not changing my email again now! It can be made to behave in Linux, so, unless I have to wait till 4.8 works in WINE, I'll see how much greener the grass is on the other side....

CHEERS!

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    Rogerbee said:
    jag11 said:
    MEC4D said:

Before you do that why don't you try the AVG TuneUp utilities trial, and see if you can re-gain control of your system. It has some useful settings.

I don't touch anything by AVG, it's bloated and hogs memory. AVG Antivirus slowed my Dad's old PC to a crawl, nobody said you needed at least 2gb of RAM to run it, he only had 512mb!

CHEERS!

I don't use AVG as antivirus, so I can't comment about it.

I have been using TuneUp Utilities from a couple of years and it was aquired by AVG(recently). I'm posting a screen shot of laptop, in which I do most of my day work, as you can see the chart lines are very flat. The second screen shot is the TuneUp Utilities' usage memory, I think 24Mb it's ridiculous. Also, for the third screen shot I unplugged the cable from the wall, this is a 3 yo computer despite that, the battery life is still of some use.

tasks.png
    1366 x 768 - 62K
    tasks1.png
    1366 x 768 - 94K
    tasks3.png
    442 x 354 - 21K
    jag11 said:
    Rogerbee said:
    jag11 said:
    MEC4D said:

Before you do that why don't you try the AVG TuneUp utilities trial, and see if you can re-gain control of your system. It has some useful settings.

I don't touch anything by AVG, it's bloated and hogs memory. AVG Antivirus slowed my Dad's old PC to a crawl, nobody said you needed at least 2gb of RAM to run it, he only had 512mb!

CHEERS!

I have been using TuneUp Utilities since a couple of years and it was aquired by AVG(recently). I'm posting a screen shot of laptop, in which I do most of my day work, as you can see the chart lines are very flat. The second screen shot is the TuneUp Utilities' usage memory, I think 24Mb it's ridiculous. Also, for the third screen shot I unplugged the cable from the wall, this is a 3 yo computer despite that, the battery life is still of some use.

jag11 said:
    jag11 said:
    Rogerbee said:
    jag11 said:
    MEC4D said:

CHEERS!

I have been using TuneUp Utilities since a couple of years and it was aquired by AVG(recently). I'm posting a screen shot of laptop, in which I do most of my day work, as you can see the chart lines are very flat. The second screen shot is the TuneUp Utilities' usage memory, I think 24Mb it's ridiculous. Also, for the third screen shot I unplugged the cable from the wall, this is a 3 yo computer despite that, the battery life is still of some use.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    Rogerbee said:

Does Genesis 3 work with DS4.7!? If it does then, well, bye bye Windows. Windows 10 has been enough to put me off MS. As much as they'd like to tell me otherwise, I've realised that I don't actually need them to do what I want to anymore. Apart from Outlook that is, I'm not changing my email again now! It can be made to behave in Linux, so, unless I have to wait till 4.8 works in WINE, I'll see how much greener the grass is on the other side....

CHEERS!

4.7 doesn't handle the extra bones as seamlessly, but I think it just means you need to unhide the extra bones instead of being able to do bends and twists as if they were on one bone.

Ok, that sounds good. I've emailed the WINE guys about 4.8 so I'll see what emerges....

CHEERS!

edited August 2015
    Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

...be forewarned. Daz 4.7.0.12  64 bit (the most recent update tested) received a "garbage" rating with Wine which means lots of issues.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

I was just picking through the available versions of Ubuntu and look at what I found :)  https://ubuntustudio.org/

I'm downloading this one and will get it installed in the next few days.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,395

As the Wine page may not be up to date it might be worthwhile to ask them about DS or any other programs

icecrmn said:

I was just picking through the available versions of Ubuntu and look at what I found :)  https://ubuntustudio.org/

Nephew recommends this one http://www.linuxmint.com/

OK a warning about media files and Microsofts Groove Music seems it has been deleting files from peoples machines nephew just lost entire music library from laptop after update for groove music ran also crashed machine and will not let him rollback to Win7 telling him that the backup files have been removed however they are on the harddrive 

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126
    icecrmn said:

Yeah, I saw that one as well.One of the very nice things about ubuntu is that its debian based.If I want something that isn't in the ubuntu repository, I can add any of debians, or the other ubuntu repos to the list and get stuff from there.Sure wish Windows had a software setup like that.

icecrmn said:

awesome find thanks for sharing that info

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

Yeah Ivy, something happening after the last update and the graphic card is constantly in  ready to go mode ysing 56% of power and fan running high , if this continue this way the gtx cards go to hell soon , this is not acceptable , I read something in the M$ forum about cuda issues so it is still not setoed down for real , this after noon win10 show me under device manager that I have 5 monitors plug in where for real I had only my Wacom Cintiq on , after reinstalling the driver it was back to one .. I still searching for solution with the cards and give it a go for couple more days before I decide what to do

Ivy said:
    MEC4D said:

yes M$ trying  sell me some software ..  yesterday in the news a lot of people show adds, hair products abd other BS showing bellow tge MENU not guesst M$ is doing it

but I am tired of it and going back to install win8.1 too much issues too much distractions , my second card was runing today ar 86C without any program running .. had to disable it , I can't work with this nonsese it bug me everyday with something total chaos I am done

jag11 said:
    MEC4D said:

Well I am getting some advertising already from M$ so it starting to be anoying .. not enough the banners follow me around the web now also on my OS, and my copy was not free upgrade .

also forgot to reactivate Zbrush, now waiting second day for new activation .. grrrrangry

P.S Oh well the add button was ON again under settings .. how hmm?

If the ads are also showing on the OS, that might be a sign of "uninvited" guests.

I use this software http://www.kaspersky.com/antivirus-removal-tool?form=1 to remove these guests.

I use Internet Explorer 11 most of the time, and I install Tracking Protection Lists, not that I care being tracked, but, these lists as a side effect actually block ads, I hate ads.

If interested go visit http://www.iegallery.com/en-us/trackingprotectionlists.

I like Edge but I won't be using it until it supports add-ons.

It's just more  Microsoft window 10 drama evryone was complainign about earlier in this thread.  I took it off my lap top it was running like a old 64 ram xp with windows 10 on it.  and my graphic card fan controls did not work on it either, thje fan  just ran full blast the minute i turned it on. ...lol smiley    I am sure happy I did not upgrade my desk top now. even though i was not getting ads on win 10. it was killing my poor laptop with resources. &  I'm with you i hate distraction when theres a new issue to deal with every day ..

...are you able to roll back to the previous version?

kyoto kid said:
    Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

...be forewarned. Daz 4.7.0.12  64 bit (the most recent update tested) received a "garbage" rating with Wine which means lots of issues.

Yes, but, it said there was a fatal exception in Kernel32.dll. If they were testing the 64bit version this file wouldn't be there, would it!? There is no such file in 4.8 64bit.

CHEERS!

As the Wine page may not be up to date it might be worthwhile to ask them about DS or any other programs

I have done and am waiting for a reply.

CHEERS!

icecrmn said:

Yes, that is the one I intend to go for. I've also found out that there is a native 64bit version of Firefox available for Linux, which they don't look to be rolling out for Windows.

CHEERS!

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604

There's one other cracking good foul-up from the M$ Corp that I ran into. I updated my wife's laptop from 8 to 10 (she loathed and despised Windows 8, as did almost the entire population of the planet). Afterwards, Outlook refused to send e-mails, reporting a failed login.

Error (0x800CCC13): ‘Cannot connect to the network. Verify your network connection or modem.

I spent hours checking the settings and testing only to find that the Microsft Corporation have fouled up the upgrade routine for 10 and that it trashes several important files that Outlook 2013 needs to work ... but not on every system and not every time!

Solution: Get into an elevated command prompt and issue SFC /SCANNOW - wait three and half hours for the scan to finish and then you can use Outlook 2013 to send e-mails again.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/outlook-wont-send-emails-since-upgrade-to-windows/12b482f9-a411-4c4c-903b-55f6e6d03914?auth=1

Ouch, I'm glad I use Thunderbird, she should too!

CHEERS!

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

+1 it looks like Thunderbird stopped breaking down the links in win10 for me at last something good lol

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

Nephew found that on his machine that he upgraded from Win7 and tried to roll back that all the restore points had been either deleted or were never created as the folders for them were either missing or empty

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,970

Nephew found that on his machine that he upgraded from Win7 and tried to roll back that all the restore points had been either deleted or were never created as the folders for them were either missing or empty

I was consoling a frined who had upgraded to Win 10 a short while back and one of the thrings we stumbled on were a couple of recovery/revert/restore options.  Which he was unable to make use of as (and I cannot remember the exact phrasing) "this option is not available as you have file change tracking on"

MEC4D said:

+1 it looks like Thunderbird stopped breaking down the links in win10 for me at last something good lol

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

Thunderbird is default in Linux, so that's a bonus, I'm hoping that, now there's a 64bit Firefox for Linux, they'll roll out a 64bit Thunderbird. It's so frustrating, I'm raring to go with Linux, but, I NEED DS4.8 to work in WINE before I fully commit.

CHEERS!