Windows 10 - It's heeerrre! and it's free for some

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157

Thanks for the link Jag.  Removed XBox and Groove Music.  YAY! 

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

No it was the power issue that reserved more power for virtual cores than GPU , that why the GPU  had slow response  and all of you have it just not notice it , it is mostly noticeable when your card support boost .

You can check how much time take to jump GPU from 0 to 100 % after you hit the render button , if the GPU load straight up you are fine if take longer than 1-2 sec or longer  it is not 

open GPU-Z and see the performance on the side of DS

jag11 said:

Maybe the MEC4D's delay problem was caused by Windows 10's Xbox application, here's a link with steps to Remove default Apps from Windows 10, including Groove Music blamed for hiding music.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,395
    jag11 said:

Maybe the MEC4D's delay problem was caused by Windows 10's Xbox application, here's a link with steps to Remove default Apps from Windows 10, including Groove Music blamed for hiding music.

Not just hiding music totaly removing it from the drive

That's really messed up.  Wondering who wrote that piece of crap software? 

Nehew's wondering that as well fortunately he keeps multiple backups

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885

Nehew's wondering that as well fortunately he keeps multiple backups

A smart thing to do.wink

Yep and keeping some off site is a smart step as well 

I have my music backed up on 3 drives including DropBox....

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652

Nvidia released another update today does it seem to be helping with the 10 issues?

edited August 2015

Must have been just in the past couple of hours, I checked for updates this AM and there were none! 

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited August 2015

Version 355.60. I am curious to try it but would prefer to see some issues resolved 1st. I have to wonder if we are the dinosaurs here. It seems Win is going in the phone / tablet direction. Would we be better served with our programs being apps content running off of cloud based storage ? No need for mini jet engine cooling systems? LOL...

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • I'd hold off on "upgrading" if you haven't already.  They've run into a nasty bug that causes a "Critical Error" with the start menu and cortana that there doesn't seem to be any reliable workaround for.  Don't know how widespread it is, but I've got it on a spare laptop I was testing it out with.

No I have not I find this community reliable and like Cathy 8.1 is running fine which makes sense since it is more "mature"

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

And, Windows Edge has just had its first critical update for remote code execution...

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS15-091

frown

I'd hold off on "upgrading" if you haven't already.  They've run into a nasty bug that causes a "Critical Error" with the start menu and cortana that there doesn't seem to be any reliable workaround for.  Don't know how widespread it is, but I've got it on a spare laptop I was testing it out with.

Don't use Cortana and the Start menu is controlled by the Stardock script so not found any errors thus far with my experience. 

edited August 2015

I don't see any notes about bugs fixed , mostly driver with new GameWorks VR Beta SDK and updates for SLI and games . M$ did not fixed yet the power issues not Nvidia fixed memory problems in win10 , not worthy updating , the last driver working perfect for me the second day so keeping it for a little longer 

Edit : from pure curiosity  I tested the new driver on my laptop , well I see improvements in speed so installed on my workstation , render time speed up of 3 sec 

New driver : 1 x GPU 8 sec full genesis figure, 2 x GPU 4 sec 

before 2 x GPU 7 second that is really improvement of 3 second almost like I have additional GPU .. nice 

adding CPU on top of that slow down everything to 13 second but that is normal as CPU can't process the data as fast slowing down the GPU

Post edited by MEC4D on

Interesting.  Thanks Cath for doing that.  I guess I'll try to update again when I get home tonight.  Hope that 3Delight speeds back up again.  It's been a bit of a dog since this this Win 10 update.  Not off putting but time consuming... more than I'm used to! 

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,853

And, Windows Edge has just had its first critical update for remote code execution...

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS15-091

Sounds to me like a repeat of Internet Explorer, they could never get it right with that one and now it seems like we are going to see the same with Edge? Holy Cow!

Cathy is this using win 8 or 10 I know you mentioned going back to 8 on laptop too? I was playing with 10 in  a store still looks like 8 IMO

Cat downgraded her work computer to 8.1 but kept 10, I believe, on her laptop. 

Just checked again about the NVIDIA update and apparently I'm up to date....

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,941
    MEC4D said:

Well I am signing off , no more issues on my side , life become simple again :) lol

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,941

...been with Windows since 3.0.  Tried Linux years ago and went back to MS because I also didn't like having to programme instructions to do tasks.

With the new policies enacted by MS however, Windows has now become just as complicated if not more if you wish to permanently to remove (not just turn off) the undesired features. A friend who is in systems development sent me an article that mentions even if you think you have defeated all the privacy invading "features", 10 still continues to collect information on your routines and habits. The only way to avoid unwanted updates, ads, and privacy issues would be to totally disconnect your system from the Net. Of course then, you won't be able to get updates for other utilities like AV software, malware/system maintenance utilities, and hardware drivers.

This is what is prodding me to look more into Linux and why I'm hoping that by the time Win7 reaches it's EOL in four and a half years, something will have come along to allow Daz and other graphics software to run on it without issue. That is a long time given how quickly the tech curve is moving.

Yes, Macs are expensive but in effect so is downtime caused by a buggy update (which has occurred twice now only a few weeks apart), paying what effectively amounts to a monthly ransom to not be bothered with ads when using OS features, being spammed about things you don't want, and possibly having your private information be put at risk of being compromised.  Nothing is "hack proof" not even Wall Street as occurred just this past weekend.

Yes on my work station win8.1 pro  , I downgraded it back from win10  , there is last Nvidia driver from yesterday and also win8 had new update for TitanX with WDMI adapters , but the main graphic card driver was old already .

MEC4D said:

Bobvan said:

Cathy is this using win 8 or 10 I know you mentioned going back to 8 on laptop too? I was playing with 10 in  a store still looks like 8 IMO

LOL exactly ! still no issues even with the last driver .. I guess Nvidia was not that guilty at all  

kyoto kid said:
    MEC4D said:

Well I am signing off , no more issues on my side , life become simple again :) lol

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,618
    kyoto kid said:

...The only way to avoid unwanted updates, ads, and privacy issues would be to totally disconnect your system from the Net. Of course then, you won't be able to get updates for other utilities like AV software, malware/system maintenance utilities, and hardware drivers....

If you are totally disconnected from the Net you don't really need updates to AV and anti-malware software since your computer won't be exposed to malware unless you install it yourself. And most system updates are to protect your computer from malware that comes browsing the web or getting emails. Basically you need an internet connection to protect yourself from the effects of an internet connection.

Of course not being able to get the latest content from Daz would be a problem smiley

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,124
    kyoto kid said:

...The only way to avoid unwanted updates, ads, and privacy issues would be to totally disconnect your system from the Net. Of course then, you won't be able to get updates for other utilities like AV software, malware/system maintenance utilities, and hardware drivers....

If you are totally disconnected from the Net you don't really need updates to AV and anti-malware software since your computer won't be exposed to malware unless you install it yourself. And most system updates are to protect your computer from malware that comes browsing the web or getting emails. Basically you need an internet connection to protect yourself from the effects of an internet connection.

Of course not being able to get the latest content from Daz would be a problem smiley

of course daz content is important

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    kyoto kid said:

...been with Windows since 3.0.  Tried Linux years ago and went back to MS because I also didn't like having to programme instructions to do tasks.

With the new policies enacted by MS however, Windows has now become just as complicated if not more if you wish to permanently to remove (not just turn off) the undesired features. A friend who is in systems development sent me an article that mentions even if you think you have defeated all the privacy invading "features", 10 still continues to collect information on your routines and habits. The only way to avoid unwanted updates, ads, and privacy issues would be to totally disconnect your system from the Net. Of course then, you won't be able to get updates for other utilities like AV software, malware/system maintenance utilities, and hardware drivers.

This is what is prodding me to look more into Linux and why I'm hoping that by the time Win7 reaches it's EOL in four and a half years, something will have come along to allow Daz and other graphics software to run on it without issue. That is a long time given how quickly the tech curve is moving.

Yes, Macs are expensive but in effect so is downtime caused by a buggy update (which has occurred twice now only a few weeks apart), paying what effectively amounts to a monthly ransom to not be bothered with ads when using OS features, being spammed about things you don't want, and possibly having your private information be put at risk of being compromised.  Nothing is "hack proof" not even Wall Street as occurred just this past weekend.

If we can get the current DS working with WINE then Linux will be all go. There's something to try, but, I don't know if anyone has yet. The only thing that worries me is that all the hackers might wonder why there's nobody left to hack, find we've all gone over to Linux and go after us there!

CHEERS!

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,618
    Rogerbee said:
    kyoto kid said:

If we can get the current DS working with WINE then Linux will be all go. There's something to try, but, I don't know if anyone has yet. The only thing that worries me is that all the hackers might wonder why there's nobody left to hack, find we've all gone over to Linux and go after us there!

CHEERS!

Very true. I think that two of the reasons there is less malware on Linux are that the hackers don't think it's worth the effort for so few people, and a large percentage of Linux users are techies and less likeley to be caught. If the Linux user  base starts filling up with people who will go for stuff like "click this link for a free copy of Photoshop" the hackers will move to Linux. And I expect they'll all be complaining on the dark web how difficult it is to maintain Windows and Linux versions of their malware.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460

Well, the 'free copy' of Photoshop was CS2 and that turned out to be legit! If malware were to be a problem, I suspect the Linux crew would create something to combat it.

CHEERS!